Intel Corporation

Updated Jul 23, 2014

3.8 3,579 reviews

Intel Corporation CEO Brian M. Krzanich

Brian M. Krzanich

Pros
  • Work life balance depends on teams but don't expect any rewards for your hardwork(in 454 reviews)

• It was a stable job in a cutting edge technology field(in 131 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is not respected by managers in the validation group in Austin(in 165 reviews)

• Very heavy decision making processes, usually involving a lot of stake holders(in 107 reviews)

3,579 Employee Reviews

Don't let the size of it scare you off

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Hillsboro, OR

ProsPersonally I've been able to weather a number of general economic downturns at Intel by virtue of its size and stability. What it lacks in dynamism it makes up for with a deep well of resources that can see it through hard times. Also, because Intel is a big place, you can change jobs every couple of years internally without having to brave the waters of the open market. If you want to have a long career here, you can.

If you work in an office role vs. a factory role you have wonderful work flexibility. The ability to work from home on a discretionary basis is literally game-changing for me. I would hesitate to work anywhere else that did not offer a similar policy.

Sabbatical is a wonderful benefit (8 weeks paid time off every 7 years or 4 weeks paid every 4).

ConsAll of the downsides associated with working at a big company -- the inefficiencies, excess management layers, the diffusion of purpose -- are present at Intel but are common "big company" issues and not special "Intel" issues. As long as you can tolerate this sort of big organization sclerosis you'll do fine at Intel.

Intel is top-heavy from a management perspective, which limits your options for growth via promotion. You'll have to be content making lots of lateral moves.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople managers need to put more energy into developing career tracks for employees that don't involve making a jump to management. Employees want a sense of job progression tied to increasing benefits no matter what they do for a living. Intel sometimes leaves this too much in the employee's hands. Use the technical roles as a guide -- figure out how to simulate the "principal engineer" track in the non-technical fields.

I worked as a Software Engineering Intern for 3 months at the Bucharest headquarters in Romania.

Software Engineering Intern (Former Employee) Bucharest (Romania)

ProsLots of spare time, you can take breaks mostly at any time. The colleagues have good knowledge of their profession. Lots of trainings, technical and soft-skills-related. Promotions were frequent during my stay. Privacy was kept.

ConsThere were times when I wanted to work on projects, but I didn't have anything to do. Hopefully, I had documentation at my disposal to study.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter task distribution among employees in a team is needed.

AmazinG work ex

ProsFun,energetic,young people all over the place , lively, cooperative

ConsCan be really stressful, deadlines are tough

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to work with. Lot of carrer development opportunities

Process Engineer (Current Employee) Hudson, MA

ProsEmployees valued and work - life balance

ConsSorry to se Hudson site closing

An old company moving swiftly into the 21st century

Undergraduate Intern (Former Employee) Folsom, CA

Prosgreat benefits, interns received many benefits!, fun intern program to keep interns engaged outside of work, smart people everwhere, can always strike up an interesting conversation with many, company tries to minimize buerocracy and make it easy for the employee to do work

Consnone i can think of besides getting a bit lost during the first few weeks in a huge campus

Advice to Senior Managementkeep jobs in california! oregon is great but not for everyone. Keep supporting open source!

Amazing

ProsVery friendly work environment and good atmosphere.

ConsNot very high salary and nor entertaining.

Advice to Senior ManagementRaise salaries

Culture that supports job rotations, but lack 'start-up' energy to meet market demands

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

ProsGreat opportunities and management support to job rotate within the company. Opportunities to work in other countries, but only to selected few. Work time flexibility is very good here, and management are more compassionate and understanding if personal issues conflict with work. More emphasis now on leadership which is good.

ConsBureaucracy, too many levels of decision making, or slow in making decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on leadership development and don't assume your leaders know everything. If they have been too long in the company it could be that they need to 'clean' their filter or lenses and learn what the outside world is really like.

Great place to work

Systems Validation Engineer (Former Employee) Hillsboro, OR

ProsIntel work environment is good. Peers are supportive with good team work.

ConsVarious managers have different rules, no support from some managers to advance in education. When you have a higher degree pass your boss, he made sure you do not advance

Advice to Senior ManagementGood luck!

Great Company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Hillsboro, OR

ProsI am proud of the conflict free materials we use to produce our chips. As an employee I've been given opportunities to grow that I don't think I'd get elsewhere. I'm encouraged to try new things and given the tools to succeed.

ConsIt's a large company so you really need to own your development.

Great place to work

Senior Program Manager (Current Employee) Haifa (Israel)

ProsLots of lateral movement opportunities
    Good benefit plans

ConsSometimes decision making process is too long
    Lots of after hours (afternoon/night) meetings impact work/life balance

Worked for Intel Corporation? Contribute to the Community!