Intel Corporation Reviews

Reset
3.7
Intel Corporation CEO Brian M. Krzanich
Brian M. Krzanich

Pros
  • Decent work-life balance (in the right groups with the right managers) (in 528 reviews)

• Opportunity to work with the cutting edge technology (in 139 reviews)

Cons
  • In manufacturing - brutal work/life balance (in 195 reviews)

• Can be difficult in decision making (in 113 reviews)

1. Communication Manager

Current Employee - Communications Manager in Hillsboro, OR
    Current Employee - Communications Manager in Hillsboro, OR

I have been working at Intel Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work. the people I work with are sincere about getting work done and keeping work/life balance.

Cons

So much to do, it can be difficult to get to everything that needs to be done in an 8 hour day.

Advice to Management

Understand what your employees need, listen and act.

2. Great place for an internship

Former Employee - Technical Intern in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Technical Intern in Portland, OR

I worked at Intel Corporation (Less than a year)

Pros

I had a good time at both of my Intel internships. The pay and benefits are excellent and I liked the people I worked with.

Cons

Intel is a huge company that places many interns so you may end up somewhere that doesn't relate closely to your planned career path. Culture can vary a lot by work group.

Marketing Specialist

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Hillsboro, OR
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Hillsboro, OR

I have been working at Intel Corporation full-time

Pros

Cutting edge tech, innovation, creativity and informed risk taking highly encouraged and supported. Decent pay. Good benefits. Management takes personal responsibility for fostering learning, optys for employee growth and ensuring job satisfaction. Tries to keep work life balance in play even though everyone is quite busy.

Cons

Not enough people to accomplish desired tasks. Most find themselves unofficially working 24-7 and stressing about finding time to do everything at high quality level. Average wont do. Can be incredibly stressful.

Advice to Management

Stop downsizing. You are risking burnout of an incredibly talented and hardworking crop of employees who truly desire to see intel succeed as opposed to just finding a job to pay bills. Most of us bleed blue and will continue to do so for years to come if you are careful not to wear us out.

5. A good company, smart people, poor management and diminshed vision.

Current Employee - Microprocessor Architect in Tigard, OR
    Current Employee - Microprocessor Architect in Tigard, OR

I have been working at Intel Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours and environment. It's a big place and with some work you can move around and find your spot for a while. You never stop running into amazing and smart people. Intel is a power-house of brains!

Cons

A lot of management. So much brain-power yet it sometimes feels like a Ferrari stuck in 2nd gear. Corporate management has lacked vision for many years. Recent lay-offs-by-spreadsheet and lack-luster stock performance impact moral. I feel we are turning more into a factory than a place of research and innovation.

Advice to Management

Become visionaries. Stop trying to please everyone. Get out there and connect to the end customer. Stop worrying about stepping on toes! Get out there and create something. Stop being reactionary! Treat your employees like family rather than property, even if it means some tough love. You're a technology company -- if you're not fostering innovation, then you are going the wrong direction.

6. Firmware Engineer

Current Employee - Firmware Engineer in Hillsboro, OR
    Current Employee - Firmware Engineer in Hillsboro, OR

I have been working at Intel Corporation (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and compensation for Interns, and work that has impact.

Cons

Hard to get hired full-time

Advice to Management

Take a more personal interest in the works of the employees.

7. Great experience. Learned a lot.

Former Employee - Technical Program Manager in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Technical Program Manager in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Intel Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very hard working employees. Promotion from within. Intel experience valued.

Cons

Very strong culture different from the rest of the semi industry. NIH syndrome widespread.

Advice to Management

Find better ways to transition experienced hires into intel. Ramp time is high.

8. Fantastic intern community

Current Intern - Intern - Hourly in Hillsboro, OR
    Current Intern - Intern - Hourly in Hillsboro, OR

I have been working at Intel Corporation as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Daily interface with mentors and supervisors, well-integrated team environment, opportunities to fully immerse yourself in the work at Intel, even as an intern.

Cons

Intel has thousands of employees and probably hundreds of interns. Especially as an intern, you can disappear in the maze of smart people, so you should actively search for and pursue opportunities to learn and develop in the field.

Advice to Management

I would just say to keep doing what you do best. I really appreciate the opportunities Intel has given me to grow as a programmer and experience corporate life before adulthood proper. Hope to have the opportunity to return in the future.

9. Intel

Current Employee - Senior Tech Program Manager in Hillsboro, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Tech Program Manager in Hillsboro, OR

I have been working at Intel Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Pay and excellent technical / professional team support. Everyone supports oneanother. Terrific bouns structure paid quarterly with profit sharing and stock options for med to top performers. Standard vacation policy 3 weeks to start then 4 weeks after 5 years. 8 week paid sabbatical every 7 years, or 4 weeks every 4 years. Goos or higher payung position compaired to comoetative jobs in the area. Rxcelent opportunities for promotions and/or lateral job movement for those willing to pay the price of long hours away from family and perform.

Cons

Highly stressful with no work life balace. Great pay but you'll pay the price. Nobody at Intel will tell you to go home because your working to hard. If you're willing to work harder, Intel will gladly take all you are willing to give. Very high turnover and divorce rates; stress counselors / psychologists have a hay-day in the area. Constantly under pressure to deliver on time and on budget. Slower performers don't last more than a year or two. Current strategy is to let the older employees at the top of their pay grade go, but the severance packages are both fair and equitable (referred to as early buy outs or voluntary separation packages VSP). Top performers seem to always be moving to other positions too frequently. Constant fighting among managers to keep people on the team long enough to mentor others.

Advice to Management

Listen more to the top performers and keep them in position longer.

Worried over direction of the company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Intel Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You have the ability to work on interesting projects with some very smart coworkers. The pay is decent but it depends a lot on your manager who has 90% of the impact on raises, etc. You can work on silicon valley projects from Portland, Phoenix, Sacramento, or Austin.

Cons

The company has really shifted with BK as the new CEO. In some ways that's good, such as his willingness to be more pragmatic in which markets we go after, but in other ways it's a real concern. There is a feeling in the company that I come across nearly every day that BK doesn't really care about normal employees. This was especially evident after the most recent layoff. People that were rated successful but given slightly less stock were laid off and told they could never come back. Their direct managers had no say in the matter. It came down from corporate. It didn't make sense to most employees but BK didn't seem to understand that at all. This was especially evident in the employee face to face where he basically said they plan to do such things again in the future and he thought it was a good thing. It makes you think that we're going to continue to see actions that come across as heartless. There is especially a concern among more experienced engineers that Intel will find a way to get rid of them by 50. It seems to be part of the system. The last thing that is hard for a lot of people is the new diversity push. If you are in a diverse workgroup (technical female, black, hispanic, native american) it is great. But for whites, indians, and asian males it's seen as a real frustration. Whether in external hiring, or internal promotions Intel has shifted to a very discriminatory culture. It's done in the name of trying to overcome unintended bias but it seems to be overkill and has a really negative effect on the vast majority of employees. In the past, we tried to always ensure our hiring pool was diverse, but we chose the best candidate. That is changing. It's more about making sure we get a certain percentage of diversity in gender and skin color than hiring the best person for the job. That bothers a lot of people in the company and causes us to be slower because we're not always getting the right skill sets on the project. One thing that is ironic, is that rather than hiring African Americans or Hispanic Americans, they tend to hire Africans or South Americans. Foreigners that are going to school in the US just like their Chinese and Indian counterparts. The difference is the color of their skin. Many times these are great people, but it is ironic that we claim to be trying to help those in the US that are underrepresented but instead we just hire people from overseas that look more like them. So, if you fall into one of these categories, it is probably a really good time to join Intel. There will be more opportunities for you there than potentially any other company. But if you are a white, indian, or chinese male I would think twice. You'll probably find yourself getting really frustrated.

Advice to Management

Have a heart when it comes to employment and make sure managers understand the actual impact of any potential rating. This last layoff was incredibly demoralizing because it wasn't consistent with the lower level messages being given. Diversity can be great, but not when 70% of the company feels discriminated against. I see lower morale and frustration everywhere. We need to still hire the most qualified people for the job regardless of gender or skin color.

11. Awesome company

Current Employee - Graduate Intern in Hillsboro, OR
    Current Employee - Graduate Intern in Hillsboro, OR

Pros

Flexible to move to other positions, many education and excellence programs

Cons

Big organization that is slow to change.

Showing 943 of 5,299 reviews