Intel Corporation

3.8
3,731 Reviews

Intel Corporation CEO Brian M. Krzanich
Brian M. Krzanich

Pros
  • Work life balance depends on teams but don't expect any rewards for your hardwork (in 455 reviews)

• It was a stable job in a cutting edge technology field (in 131 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is not respected by managers in the validation group in Austin (in 165 reviews)

• Very heavy decision making processes, usually involving a lot of stake holders (in 109 reviews)

More Highlights

Intel

I have been working at Intel Corporation

Pros

-Flexible work schedule.
    -Good benefits.
    -Good career development tips.
    -Experience of problems working for a large organization, where people have a hard time convincing others. Can get a few leadership lessons with this experience.

Cons

-Most groups are disconnected from what others do.
    -There is some amount of duplication of effort among groups , not very efficient.
    -There is a lot of politics at the higher levels of management, if you don't work for a team on the
    stronger side, chances are your team won't get the recognition it deserves.

-Stop living in the past. Embrace newer business models, new ways of working, cultivate fresh enthusiasm to get into new markets. Half-baked efforts won't do much. If Intel is slow to respond to certain growing markets, it will lose any and all positions to faster players.

Retired from Intel

Former Employee - Module Technician  in  Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Module Technician in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Intel Corporation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great benifits, emplyee stock purchase plan, health plan, reasonable pay, work life balance. Teams work well together with some oppertunities to relocate, learn new skills. Great volunteer seperation package for those not terminated, but encouraged to retire early.

Cons

Avoid posting oppinions on the internal or external social sites. They have zero tolerence for any reporting of anything that could be seen as not PC. Review process can be difficult. Suspect the early seperation package offers are used to prevent age discrimination lawsuits. Retirement eligibility is age 55 and 15 years employment.

Limited promotion options in some fields. Requires active education and searches for internal hire options. Unless active in persuing growth, it is easy to get a NI rating even with excellent produciton, safety, attendence, etc records. Company seems to only wish to retain high achievers, so those not wanting student loans near retirement, may be invited to take early retirement.

Anti disparagement clause may prevent full honest reveiws by some past employees and definately current employees.

Great company, great people

I have been working at Intel Corporation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Total compensation package, quality of co-workers

Cons

Trending to being more political than in past, cultural changes impacting some of what made Intel great in the past.

Revisit the elements of Intel's corporate culture that helped the company grow the way it did in the 80s and 90s - see if you can bring back that type of open, team-focused, shared commitment to goals.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Business Systems Analyst

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Hillsboro, OR
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Hillsboro, OR

I have been working at Intel Corporation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Almost everything of importance depends upon which organization you are in (Intel is a ~100k employee company) and your relationship with your manager, but some of the foundational elements which make Intel a great company include a meritocratic approach to compensation and promotion (you *earn* your raises and promotions; your title, time of service, who you know, etc., are irrelevant), stock options and/or restricted stock for almost all employees, multiple bonuses each year (mostly based on business conditions), flexible work hours, solid technical infrastructure (laptops that work and are refreshed regularly, a reasonably reliable network and email and VPN), advanced productivity tools (Lync 2013, SharePoint, full BYO mobile support), solid compensation, the opportunity to do almost anything you can dream of within one company (people can have 3+ "careers" and never leave Intel), and how can you forget to mention sabbatical (8 weeks paid every 7 years of service, on top of regular vacation time).

Cons

Almost everything of importance depends upon which organization you are in and your relationship with your manager. If you have a lousy manager, you will not be happy. As a geographically dispersed teams, many groups have regular early morning and late night meetings, and usually, those are on top of your full day in the office. Mostly, work-life balance is paid lip service - what *really* counts is delivering results.

nice intern place!

I worked at Intel Corporation

Pros

Working in Intel(Shanghai) gives you good life-work balance, especially comparing with Microsoft(Shanghai). And also, intel has really great computing facilitates!

Cons

The working space for intern is labs. not office. My lab was noisy and cold. And also, when I left Intel, the restaurant was changed, then the food became bad and expensive.

With the right manager, an unbelievable experience

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Hillsboro, OR
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Hillsboro, OR

I have been working at Intel Corporation full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Intelligent people
    Fantastic Benefits
    Sabbatical
    Great working conditions
    Exciting work
    Ability to move around

Cons

Your Intel experience ends up being entirely guided by the management structure in your position. I have worked in 4 positions for more than 7 years now at Intel. My first two managers were absolutely fantastic and made the work I was doing meaningful and rewarding while treating me well. The management structure in my most recent position is abusive, micromanaging and setting us up for failure.

Grab one of the good groups and Intel will be the best company you'll work for. Otherwise, keep an eye on the internal jobs board.

Do what you can to get REAL feedback about managers. The MFT scores are gamed/cheated on by some of the poorer managers and aren't a good benchmark.

Good work/life balance

Former Employee - Buyer  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Buyer in Portland, OR

I worked at Intel Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

weekly reviews with managers. No surprises at annual reviews. overall, a very positive experience

Cons

tight control over promotions. many people are deserving of promotions but aren't considered for promotions.

Professional and care about their employees. Good work life ballance

I worked at Intel Corporation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Smart people to work with. Good training classes on just about any topic. Good work life ballance and community giving programs.

Cons

Hit and miss on good/bad managers. Politics and red tape on getting innovations started.

Great way to get foot in the door. Do not recommend for recent grads looking for technical experience

I have been working at Intel Corporation

Pros

Exposure to manufacturing business concepts and areas. Learn to think in a fast pace, dynamic environment. Valuable experience with a great company.

Cons

Do not recommend for electrical, mechanical engineers looking to gain technical depth and/or apply skill sets learned in college if recent grad. Large overhead and mundane tasks. Management spends time chasing its tail rather than being progressive and attempting to lean manufacturing processes.

Get out of the way.

Great company with internal political issues

Current Employee - Firmware Engineer  in  Hillsboro, OR
    Current Employee - Firmware Engineer in Hillsboro, OR

I have been working at Intel Corporation full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

There are great benefits to working at Intel. With the right manager, work is extremely flexible allowing you to maintain an excellent work-life balance. When I need to handle something at home, my manager and coworkers have no issues stepping in to carry the load while I'm out. Likewise I'm there to help when my coworkers need it.

There are also a lot of little perks such as raffles from the "Great Place to Work" team where you can win tickets to movies, sporting events, concerts, etc. There are a number of fun activities planned by individual teams and entire sites to celebrate or just get to know each other better. One great activity that just completed was a kid's day where we could bring in our kids for fun science and technology events all day. My son loved it.

Overall, the work environment when you have found the right team is very enjoyable.

Cons

The most difficult thing for me about working here are the politics. Unfortunately within the leadership and management layers, there are a lot of entrenched folks that seem more interested in promoting their own career than in doing the right thing for the company. Because of this, I have seen some terrible decisions made that set the entire company back and took many months to recover, but there was no accountability held to the decision maker for this.

It can be very frustrating to be passed up on a promotion only to see someone less deserving but more politically savvy promoted instead.

The management layers need to be cleaned out to limit the political power of some of the entrenched cliques. I'd like to see more accountability for decisions and agendas that end up hurting the company.

Worked for Intel Corporation? Contribute to the Community!