Intel Corporation

www.intel.com
  www.intel.com

Intel Corporation Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2011's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.
3.6

Intel Corporation CEO Brian M. Krzanich
Brian M. Krzanich

Pros
  • Work life balance depends on teams but don't expect any rewards for your hardwork (in 455 reviews)

• It was a stable job in a cutting edge technology field (in 131 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is not respected by managers in the validation group in Austin (in 165 reviews)

• Very heavy decision making processes, usually involving a lot of stake holders (in 109 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Intel Corporation

Pros

Intel was a great place to work.

Cons

It didn't pay as well as other tech companies.

increase pay of software engineers

Good company aiming to be better. New emphasis on the people and their families.

Current Employee - Senior Server Architect  in  Hillsboro, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Server Architect in Hillsboro, OR

I have been working at Intel Corporation

Pros

Compensation among the best in the industry. Highly innovative company investing in future Research and Development. Great leadership and moves fast.

Cons

Vacation time is lower than industry average, but tries to make up for it with an extended emplyee sabatical every 7 years. Highly competitive environment, which can lead to information & recognition hoarding by some employees.

Continue to increase focus on the people in the company. Be proactive in new technologies (stay ahead of the curve), place bets on a few of the most innovative ideas and commit.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Intel Corporation

Pros

Great place to work offering good salary base, great compensation benefits and perks (i.e paid sabbaticals, stocks) and extraordinary work-life balance

Cons

Employee evaluation process too focus on PM and management roles leaving individual contributors roles somehow in disadvantage

Review traveling and telecommute policies for employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My review

Current Employee - Senior Component Design Engineer  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Component Design Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Intel Corporation

Pros

Dealing with Top notch technology with reasonable pay package. Good future, commited to spend in research & developement, top notch technology.

Cons

Not as annovative as Apple, Google. Always does the catch up game. Review process is not very growth oriented. Process technology leadership is waning.

Make the review process growth oriented, take out sycoophancy, beuracracy and inspire the new ideas. Take out the tools which are falling behind of industry standard eda tools

Great place to work unless you're in ATTD

Former Employee - Industrial Engineer  in  Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Industrial Engineer in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Intel Corporation

Pros

Great package overall.
    Lifestyle is very relaxing.
    Open environment.
    Very casual dress code.
    Facilities offer great things like on-site gym, medical facility, cafeteria, softball field, basketball and volleyball courts.
    People (other than some management at TMG) are pretty cool.
    Multicultural (it seems like a UN meeting everytime).

Cons

Compensation ($) wasn't great unless you have higher degrees and not even then.
    Management at ATTD has a lot of flaws and they're not very open to change.
    Workload at ATTD can be a little too much very often.
    Not everyone is up to date when it comes to technology, so you have to deal with that.
    Some people might be to hard to deal with.

Have a better communication accross the board, not only with middle management, because they do not give the right message, it gets lost in transition.
    Thank your employees for their efforts.
    Encourage professional development by acting on it, not only talking about it.

Too much scope for politics and cronyism

Former Employee - Research Scientist  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Research Scientist in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Intel Corporation

Pros

top technology place. Best place to work at if you are interested in silicon technology. Also great now for server ingredient technologies.

Cons

Mostly based on meritocracy but lots of scope for mediocre people to get by with BS. Management is too preoccupied keeping themselves in place and looking after themselves than grooming their employees

Weed out the management that exists only by playing politics. Politics to further company/group interests is one thing: it's quite another to use politics to hang around.

Much like joining the Army

Former Employee - Technical Writer  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Writer in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Intel Corporation

Pros

No great surprises in company direction. Lot's of parking

Cons

Obsessive, but contradictory, policies regarding security. Very confused IT program

Lighten up on the military attitude towards management.

Meets

Former Employee - Senior VLSI Designer  in  Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Senior VLSI Designer in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Intel Corporation

Pros

At Intel, I got to build products that really affected the world: walk down the aisle in a plane, and nearly every laptop you see would be something you worked on.

Cons

Big company, maturing industry, design by committee, FUD.

The technical ladder has been gamed.

The good v/s the bad

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Folsom, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Folsom, CA

I have been working at Intel Corporation

Pros

Lets you balance work and life nicely (might depend on the group and your manager though)
    Flexible working hours
    Exciting time to work for this company

Cons

Almost like a government company
    Things proceed too slowly.
    Highly bureaucratic
    Some groups can be very demanding and not that rewarding

Look at what competition does right.
    Please offer competitive salaries like other companies do.
    Most employees are overworked and underpaid

I will work for half the salary at any other company

Former Employee - Process Engineer  in  Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Process Engineer in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Intel Corporation

Pros

The salary is pretty competitive. Also, the stocks and bonus option is good. It gives a good opportunity to work in a cutting edge technology.

Cons

Intel’s work culture is based on the book written by Andrew S. Grove titled “Only the paranoid survive”. Intel HR policies and management promotes this culture of paranoia in every employee of Intel. Per Wikipedia “Paranoia is a thought process heavily influenced by anxiety or fear, often to the point of irrationality and/or delusion. Paranoid thinking typically includes persecutory beliefs concerning a perceived threat towards oneself. Historically, this characterization was used to describe any delusional state.”

As far as what I have seen, this kind of practice of making employees paranoia has made many or most Intel employees unhappy. In addition to the three letter abbreviations used at Intel, there are many other phrases used at Intel such as “slap on the face”. Simple things such as someone asking you a question while you are explaining to a group is “Slap on the face” since you did not do your job well enough to explain properly. I totally disagree with this kind of philosophy and it leads to a culture of un-openness.
    Simply asking your manager a question on his/her direction or suggesting some alternative solution which is better could get you labeled as “difficult”. Why? Because first of all, if your manager agrees to your suggestion, it would imply that your manager was wrong or did not think through. As such, your manager would fiercely fight back to any suggestions which are contrary to what your manager thinks. Secondly, your manager suggestions might be based on his/her politics or anger towards someone else which your manager could not explain to you properly. I once found mistake that someone else did which could have cost up couple of days of downtime and when I told my manager, she responded that this is not what I asked you to do and rebuked me. The person who made the mistake actually thanked me for finding that mistake. So, I also think that a lot depends on who your manager is. Some manager wants you to do exactly what you are told without thinking but the problem is when things go wrong, you get all the blame since you did not think it thoroughly. Makes sense, no.. right? Welcome to the world of paranoia… enjoy working at Intel!

STOP from making people crazy!

Worked for Intel Corporation? Contribute to the Community!