Intel Corporation
3.8 of 5 3,247 reviews
www.intel.com Santa Clara, CA 5000+ Employees

Intel Corporation Reviews

Updated Nov 11, 2013

These reviews contributed towards 2014's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

Pros:
  • "Mostly good work-life balance unless you don't get along with your manager""
    in 355 reviews
  • "Opportunity to work on cutting edge technology"
    in 115 reviews
Cons:
  • "Talk too much about work life balance but won't really honor that concept"
    in 139 reviews
  • "Sometimes long hours and finding that work/life balance can be challenging"
    in 80 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great place to work

Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee)
Santa Clara, CA

ProsExcellent work/life balance
Good compensation and benefits
2 month paid sabbatical every 7 years
Flexible work from home policy
Incredibly smart colleagues
Opportunities for international assignments
Easy to switch roles/divisions
Lots of great free classes for career development

ConsBureaucracy - lots of red tape, too many meetings, army of middle managers
Inefficient business processes, frequent reorganizations
Some groups/divisions can be very political - difficult to get ahead just on merits/achievements
No shuttle bus from SF unlike other tech companies in the South Bay

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce the bureaucracy - trim middle management

Excellent Internship

Post-Silicon Validation (Former Employee)
Folsom, CA

I worked at Intel Corporation as an intern for less than a year

ProsValuable work experience
Meet with higher ups
Great Pay
Get bonuses and a very generous relocation stipend
Work with most intelligent people in the field
Younger employee base
Awesome work life balance

ConsLong hours, even as intern

Great Experience to learn

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Santa Clarita, CA

I have been working at Intel Corporation as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat opportunity to learn and work hands on the devices and real time products.

ConsMicromanagement is sometimes not good.

good place to work for

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Santa Clarita, CA

I worked at Intel Corporation full-time for less than a year

Prosfriendly working environment. open cube area, easy to access everyone.

Consmany meetings. sometimes, very early morning meeting, hard to avoid traffic

Company is very fair and provides excellent benefits for its employees.

Sales Manager (Current Employee)
Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Intel Corporation full-time for more than a year

ProsBenefits, pay, time off, travel

ConsYou are just a cog in the machine, replaceable at any moment. No soul to the company because only the bottom line matters.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the daily development of your staff

Working for a winner

Staff Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Intel Corporation full-time for more than 10 years

ProsIn context of an engineer working in fabrication:
When you work at Intel, you're working with smart people. You'll be given responsibility fast - so fast that you may feel a little scared being responsible for so many millions - or billions - of dollars of revenue. However, while *you* are responsible, you have a great support system - a lot of people and systems around you to help. I've always found people at Intel very helpful - if you ask someone for help, you will get it.Decisions are all data-driven - the first step is always to gather data -- an if a problem is urgent, to expedite the gathering of the data. Data and model-based problem solving are used extensively. At the engineering level in the fab, there is little "politics" - due to the data-driven decision making.
Safety is the #1 priority in a fab - and the management sincerely promotes this - and backs it up with dollars to make safety improvement inside the factory and office areas (especially ergonomic equipment).
Skills that will help you in the fab are knowledge of extracting data from databases, statistics, and data analysis with JMP. A little programming knowledge will help you as well.
People at Intel don't like to finish second. Intel likes to win. Intel demands to be the champion. The way Intel achieves victory is by moving faster than anyone else - speed is the key competitive advantage.

ConsYou're likely to feel a little "overloaded" at Intel, at least at first. I feel like I'm always 2X overloaded (but I'm used to it now). You can have a good work-life balance; on the other hand, if you like to work a lot, Intel will take that and put it in its pocket.
Management is promoted from the engineering ranks. This has is good and bad. On the good side, they understand your job and can help you. On the bad side, the managers can focus too much on the problem of the day and not on longer term things like people development, career coaching, and other "softer" management functions. So plan on taking charge of your own career.
Intel used to shower us with cash - mainly from stock options. Those days are over - the stock has been stagnant for over 10 years.
You'd think that being at Intel, you'd have access to some of the best computer equipment in the world. You'd be wrong. You'll get a "business class" laptop, which is not good for engineering data analysis. However, with enough push, you can get a high performance desktop system.

Advice to Senior ManagementHeh, nothing they don't already know. They're smart people (consider than Intel was founded by 2 geniuses - Gordon Moore and Andy Grove - and one super-genius, Robert Noyce).
OK, one thing: Flush TWWW open office layouts and give people cubes. Build more office buildings if you have to (which are cheap compared to the billions of dollars management wasted on acquisitions).

Excellent for ending your career

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Cord, AR

I have been working at Intel Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

ProsVery good opportunities on career dev

ConsOld company mindset. A lot of burocracy

Intern

Graduate Internship (Former Employee)

I worked at Intel Corporation as an intern for less than a year

ProsEasy access to managers. Good feedback.

ConsMuch expected from you. Very Ambigous.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the interns

Great place for mid level career

Marketing Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Intel Corporation full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat work life balance, great benefits, perks (sabbatical), high standards for brand, quality products, corporate responsibility and evolution from an engineering/manufacturing to mainstream brand and marketing company. Holds itself to the highest standards for ethics CSR, and to share holders to make this a very successful global company, financially and and a world class industry leader. Results .

ConsGreat for engineers, non-engineer jobs and career paths can be limited, management roles are overused and often lead to ineffectiveness, dysfunction and even rewarding for bad behavior and breeds bad politics. Some people are complacent about their management roles but kept around for some reason and take credit for good work and avoid, ignore bad work. Marketing environment is competitive versus effective.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward for "teamwork" structure across organization to avoid competitive behavior and counterproductive results, streamline budgets and penalize for budget waste.

Fun and good learning experience

I have been working at Intel Corporation full-time for more than a year

ProsWork life balance, access to technology, supports employee training and conferences.

ConsSenior management decision making. Communication.

Worked for Intel Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Intel Corporation Videos

Intel Corporation – Why Work for Us?

As the world leader in silicon innovation, Intel develops technologies, products and initiatives to continually advance how people work and live. Our world is filled with 41,000 engineers bent on turning science… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Intel Corporation reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Intel Corporation CEO Brian M. Krzanich. All 524 reviews posted anonymously by Intel Corporation employees.