Intel Corporation

3.9
3,754 Reviews

Intel Corporation CEO Brian M. Krzanich
Brian M. Krzanich

Pros
  • Work life balance depends on teams but don't expect any rewards for your hardwork (in 455 reviews)

• It was a stable job in a cutting edge technology field (in 131 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is not respected by managers in the validation group in Austin (in 165 reviews)

• Very heavy decision making processes, usually involving a lot of stake holders (in 109 reviews)

More Highlights

They DO NOT care about their Engineers

Current Employee - Intel Process Engineer  in  Hillsboro, OR
    Current Employee - Intel Process Engineer in Hillsboro, OR

I have been working at Intel Corporation full-time for less than a year

Pros

Money, but that too is not that awesome considering there are very few growth opportunities for Engineers.

Cons

(1) If you are Engineer, you will get a pager 24/7
    (2) Most employees are desperate to QUIT but are not able to because they are "international" and have visa issues. They get stuck and by the time they are eligible to apply anywhere else, its too late and their skills are too specific for any other company.
    (2) when you are "on call" for a week - you will be expected to stay up 7 am to 7am the next day, may be 1-2 hours of sleep in between if you are lucky for 7 days. Its wretched and you will feel considerably tired and yet no recognition will be awarded because there are several people at Intel are doing it as well.
    (3) They absolutely dont care about Employees' life. You will be expected to check your email during vacations.
    (4) If you are an Engineer, and you need to take off even 1 weekend to go out of town, you would need to arrange for a back up and explain your manager that you will be gone for a weekend and why.

I am planning to change companies as soon as i can.

Please hire Engineers to work night shifts and weekends separately, its not possible realistically for people to be productive and enjoy work if they are not getting any sleep or vacation.

Country Club Political Bureaucracy

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineering Technician  in  Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineering Technician in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Intel Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great pay, benefits, work environment, etc. There is 9 hours off a night to do whatever you want. Most people go home and sleep for several hours, watch movies, play video games, but if they brown nose the right way, then they are the most successful people in the module. If you're lazy, without the slightest ambition, and like choosing the easiest way to do almost nothing to make five figures, Intel is for you!

Cons

You have no career at Intel. Intel could care less about you and refers openly as Intel employees as "bodies". "we need to get a body on that". If you are anything less than a PhD, then you are an incompetent moron, not worthy of doing the job and will be easily replaced with the next biological android that is willing to read direction and do what is prescribed. Thought is strictly forbidden; you are not qualified to think if you're not a PhD. They will always choose someone who is nice, but loses millions of dollars through low yield, incompetence, processing, over someone who asks reals questions, about why product was process, plans are not done and miss processes that happen. If you have any ambition, drive, motivation, or dreams, Intel is not right for you. If you're a lazy good for nothing nobody, that likes high pay, anonymity and being paid for full time while working 12 hours a weeks, Intel is for you.

Most management should be fired. Redundant bureaucracy is abundant, and there are thousands of managers who justify their jobs by the problems they create, namely the idiots they choose to hire. Every manager I've encountered was an incompetent moron, who couldn't manage a fast food franchise. Take anyone with any competency and put them in the module to work and there is no need for management. Put incompetent morons in the module and management will have endless hours of work, trying to work through difficulties of people who do nothing and people who try to do something. Fire all those who are not there, not working, that have no understanding of process and are gone 9 hours a shift, but management takes the cop-out of, "it's too hard to prove time card fraud".

Bad planning, moving developers from project to project without asking their opinion, pressure

I have been working at Intel Corporation full-time

Pros

Did not find any yet.

Cons

I was hired for one project I was interested in. I was interested in technologies in this project. On my first day I was announced that I will not work for the project I expected. They lied about reasons why I was reassigned. I heard so much lie within two weeks that I stopped trusted any word.
    The planning was bad. I had to be in the office at 7am to connect to another team. Early morning conferences and late evening conferences completely ruined my regular life schedule.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My Intel Experience

Former Employee - Site Supervisor  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Site Supervisor in Austin, TX

I worked at Intel Corporation as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Received training on positions I never thought I was ever going to be a part of. I was able to increase my horizon. I made some really awesome new friends. I was able to grow in an administrative field.

Cons

The relationship between the Blue Badges ( Intel) and the Green badges (contractors) were not a good relationship. The Intel employees treated the contractors as less than. We were not aloud to interact with the Intel employees except for work related purposes.

Needs more of a respectful atomosphere.

Poor company leadership, cancerous culture

I worked at Intel Corporation

Pros

Large company so there is a bit of safety. Sabbatical.

Cons

No vision, only reaction. Poor stock plan.

Need to figure out if you are an architecture company or a foundry.

Work harder, not smarter... there is no life outside of work

Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager

I have been working at Intel Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

The compensation and benefits are good.

Cons

We are expected to work every evening and every weekend. Holiday's too. Work-life balance is non-existent. I've never even heard the term mentioned. Processes and tools make what should be the simplest tasks challenging and time consuming. The organizations are overloaded with governance which stifles productivity and brings decision making to a crawl.

We are told that the employees are Intel's most valuable asset, yet they are treated as if they are disposable. They are pushed to their breaking point and treated in a disrespectful manner. If you really value your employees, focus more on how to improve their efficiency and promote work life balance. Work life balance means that employees are able to maintain a high level of energy on the job. Without it, they put in more hours but are less efficient.

Will never consider working for Intel as a contractor again

Former Employee - Contact Worker (CW)  in  Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Contact Worker (CW) in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Intel Corporation as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Knowledgeable people and good technology.

Cons

I was hired as a contact worker (CW) for a group within Intel in Chandler, AZ after almost six month after I have interviewed with the manager. Apparently the project was not funded on time but the manager liked the first phone interview and ask if I am "still available". I have moved from California to Chandler and leased an apartment on the promise that the contract will last at least one year or 18 month. The contract started with about 3 weeks of slow paced self training meant to get familiar with Intel design procedures and tools.
    Suffice to say after the training was completed no actual work materialized in any shape and form.
    The manager who was managing several departments at different Intel sites including the one I was in Chandler blamed the lack of work on corporate and delayed any tasks until I become very clear that no work was scheduled ahead.
    After two month of inquires and hoping to be utilized at my full skills and qualification I was told there is no work planned ahead and I was let go.
    I was also stuck with a lease I had o break.
    In summary during my two month stint at Intel all I have experienced was incompetence, arrogance and a total lack of consideration and respect toward contactors.

Be honest with your employees including the contact workers you bring aboard.
    Improve your way of manage your departments and the people working for you.

I was a contract 'simulation engineer', but I was not given any coding assignment. Instead I was used for integration.

Former Employee - Simulation Engineer  in  Hudson, MA
    Former Employee - Simulation Engineer in Hudson, MA

I worked at Intel Corporation as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

As a contractor I found nothing good about working for Intel.

Cons

I was interviewed about my C++ skills, but was given no coding assignment. Intel made a point of treating contractors as second class citizens.

There was virtually no training available.

A job, not a career.

Current Employee - Silicon Architecture Engineer  in  Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Silicon Architecture Engineer in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Intel Corporation full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

There aren't really a lot of "Pros" these days. Health Benefits are still good.

Cons

-Company struggling severely at all levels to adapt to the SOC-centric world.
    -Nonexistent career development - even if you try initiate it or 'own your career'. At best they are indifferent, at worst, they can be actively hostile.
    -Horrible work/life balance - expect every project to push schedule really hard.
    -Nasty internal politics

My experience says they wouldn't listen, which is their first problem. So I won't say anymore.

Avoid System Validation In Austin.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Intel Corporation full-time

Pros

-Free coffee, soft drinks, and fruit.
    -Covered parking.
    -There are a large number of good/smart people that you can network with.
    -If you avoid validation in Austin, it seems like Intel might actually be a great place to work.

Cons

-Work life balance is not respected by managers in the validation group in Austin. Long hours are the norm and expectation.
    -There's a matrix management structure.
    -Managers are people managers rather than tech managers/leads.
    -Managers do not listen to the needs of their team.
    -Managers do not recognize and correct their own failures.

The managers in the validation group have no respect for work-life balance. There's an expectation that you should stay late regularly on weekdays. They also have no problem demanding that people come in to work on the weekends on short notice.

The managers are focused solely with making their status sheet indicators green. They will also use these indicators to make gross and inaccurate judgments against teams and individuals. Worst of all, they don't have a problem with sweeping indicators that aren't to their liking under the rug against your better judgment. A few months later, when what they swept under the rug becomes an urgent problem, they are very quick to blame you for not alerting them about it even though you did. At this point, they demand you come in on the weekend to resolve a situation which could have easily been avoided had they listened in the first place. All of this happens with no acknowledgement that this is mostly their failure, and with no appreciation of the fact that you are giving up personal time to bail them out.

There is a matrix management structure which means that you will report to additional managers aside from your own manager. Often, the things these managers want you to do for them are in direct conflict with each other, or will take a large amount of time to complete. This puts you in a position where it is hard to give all the managers you report to what they want. Thus, when you don't deliver on some of these tasks, you will have multiple managers thrashing you and propagating a negative perception about you across the organization. Unless you are wiling to work 60-80 hour weeks regularly you will have very slim chances at pleasing them all.

What fuels a lot of the above is that most of the managers are people managers and not tech managers or tech leads. This is the one thing that some of these managers actually recognize, but just like with everything else, they do nothing about it. The major drawback of having managers that don't want to or have never done the work themselves, is that they have no concept of what they are asking you to do, so it makes them quicker to jump to thrashing you about certain tasks if they "take too long" for you to complete.

If you bring up any of these issues to your management, they will usually give you the "yes I understand" nod, but eventually respond with something similar to "it's all on you to fix this". The managers never bother to ask themselves if there is something they can do to correct some of the structural issues that are present within the culture of the organization. This is the root cause of all the issues in silicon validation in Austin.

Overall, it's a toxic place to work. There is cultural change that needs to happen, and it needs to come from middle and upper management since they make the decisions that foster this despicable culture. The good news is, it seems like these problems aren't the case at other Intel sites or even in other groups outside of validation in Austin. It seems like Intel really can be a great place to work if you land in the right team.

The single best thing management can do is stop thinking about themselves, and start thinking about how their decisions affect the physical and mental well being of the individuals they "manage". Austin managers in the validation groups need to start owning up to their own failures rather than pushing the blame down to the workers. Morale is very low, and much of it is due to the behaviors and unreasonable expectations of management. The work done by the validation teams can be very interesting work, and it can also be a great place to develop a breadth of skills and knowledge, but the dominance of short term thinking primarily by management prevents this from happening.

Intel Corporation Photos

Worked for Intel Corporation? Contribute to the Community!