Intel Corporation

www.intel.com

Great company to work for.

I have been working at Intel Corporation

Pros

Both internships I have had have been great. The people you work with are fun and you learn a lot.

Cons

Sometimes they run out of things for interns to do.

Good work life balance

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Intel Corporation

Pros

Good life work balance. Very process oriented and good vision.

Cons

difficult to move up the ladder.

Working at Intel is an extremely stimulating place to work and gives you excellent opportunities for advancement.

Current Employee - Senior Strategic Marketing Manager in Hillsboro, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Strategic Marketing Manager in Hillsboro, TX

I have been working at Intel Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you like to be on the cutting edge of technology and work with the brightest people around then you will have a great experience. It is important that you are comfortable in an environment that requires you to be independent and chart your own career path. If you are then there are ample opportunities to lead and work on great projects and teams. Work-life balance is pretty good compared to many other tech companies but does require excellence and what comes with it which is hard work and sometimes long hours. Total compensation is very good overall.

Cons

While I love the concept of 'constructive confrontation' it can be taken too far. The culture requires nay sayers and there are times when it is not appropriate. However, when you miss major changes in the market the way Intel has it is pretty important to be always paranoid. The shifts in the market also bring on constant divisional changes and changes in teams which can be frustrating as you don't always get the time to get traction on a new initiative when things shift to the new latest trend and all resources go with it. In terms of promotions the ranking and rating system is flawed which can seriously hold up your opportunities. Also, being a manager does not get you any credit at performance review time.

Get back some of the creative energy and talent that was lost in the last ten years. The company needs it desperately. Also, get more family friendly and allow women to "Lean In".

Great environment, flexible hours, valuable work, and great benefits/pay!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Intel Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Since I started working at Intel, my life has changed dramatically. I no longer stress out on Sunday evenings about the thrashing I may or may not receive at work the subsequent week! I look forward to work every day, and even take glances at design issues at home sometimes, not because I have to, mind you, because it crosses my mind as part of my normal day. AKA: something I just enjoy doing. My managers and coworkers are all people that I want to help succeed, and so my work has a feeling of importance to it that helps me excel.

Cons

As with any large company, the chain of command and approval for new features and bug fixes is fairly complex. Sometimes it will take a month or more to initiate change, especially with design. However, this can be an advantage, because it gives you plenty of time to change your mind about designs and/or improve your work.

Maybe some more in-house perks would be nice. The campuses are rather drab, not much recreational to do outside of running on an elliptical machine or playing foosball. Something like libraries, full gyms, a pool, arcades, batting cages would be nice! We spend a ton of time on campus and everyone knows, (or is starting to realize) that high productivity is not always determined by how long you can sit at your desk, but rather by inspiration coming from seemingly disconnected sources.

Various positions

I worked at Intel Corporation

Pros

Movement, technology, campus, compensation package

Cons

Bureaucracy, HR, Project speed, budget constraints

Good company, just not if you're young.

Current Employee - Product Development Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Product Development Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Intel Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company is at the forefront of technology in many different areas, allowing access to cutting edge pathfinding and development of new technology. The resources of a large company allow high dollar projects and collaborating across the world. Vacation time is not recorded for salaried employees and is mostly managed by the employee (and maybe his manager). Schedules are often very flexible for engineers (not technicians or FAB employees). Personal growth is encouraged and there are programs to try and help employees expand their skill set. Retirement contribution of ~5% is given annually to a 401K, regardless of the employees own contributions (i.e. not matching). Paid sabbaticals are given every 4 (additional 4 weeks) or 7 years (additional 8 weeks). That is probably the main advantage of working at Intel over similar companies in the area.

Cons

Being young at Intel is very difficult. Employees are considered "new" until they've been here 10+ years and given little respect. The raise / promotion system is heavily dated and causes serious problems within groups and among peers (strict quotas for promotions and ranking employees within a group). The benefits across the board have been heavily cut over the past 5-10 years, resulting in a significantly worse overall package than before. No shuttles available at the main headquarters (to SF, San Jose, etc). Vacation is nothing special (3 weeks until 10 years, then 4), vesting for retirement contribution is incredibly long (6 years total, nothing until 2 years - 20%), and vesting for stocks is also long (4 years).

Update the Focal process (raise / promotions), make the work environment better for young employees, and add shuttles or subsidize use of public transportation for employees (Caltrain passes, etc.). Shorten periods for vesting and additional vacation if you want to attract young talent that isn't necessarily interested in spending 10 - 30 years at one company.

A good place to work

I have been working at Intel Corporation

Pros

A Good place to work

Cons

Large company with a lot of managment

good nothing bad

Current Employee - EET in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - EET in Portland, OR

I have been working at Intel Corporation part-time (more than a year)

Pros

its paid really well, great company

Cons

just very long working hours

good people, just dont make them mad

great place to work

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Intel Corporation as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

highly experienced people, great management and work environment, great salary

Cons

has the habit of calling off projects half way through

Sweet place to work at

I worked at Intel Corporation

Pros

Good team
    Good work
    Good projects
    Good amenities

Cons

Nothing that I can see. Togh on intern to full time conversion for Comp Sci guys