Intel Corporation

3.8
3,804 Reviews

Intel Corporation CEO Brian M. Krzanich
Brian M. Krzanich

Pros
  • Work life balance depends on teams but don't expect any rewards for your hardwork (in 499 reviews)

• It was a stable job in a cutting edge technology field (in 134 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is not respected by managers in the validation group in Austin (in 180 reviews)

• Very heavy decision making processes, usually involving a lot of stake holders (in 111 reviews)

More Highlights

Software Engineer

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Intel Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work ethics and very competitive environment

Cons

More perks for employees are necessary

Its a good companyto work.

Decent company to work for, but not what it used to be.

I have been working at Intel Corporation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

its go-go days appear to be behind it, and it has stumbled with its vision and leadership over last 10 yrs. that being said, its a decent place to work for with decent benefits for a mature company. work is usually challenging, but it depends on your group and how motivated you are.

Cons

being a big company, it is quite political. the key is getting into a good group where you have supportive management, flexibility/balance with your work/personal life, freedom to do your job, and good/trustworthy people to work with. Get in the wrong/bad group and its not fun. Lately the company is making efforts to downsize ... I expect that to continue, but in a moderate way.

The Diversity card has been overplayed. So has the excessive hiring of H1B VISA holders which can be taken advantage of. Weed out bad managers -- I've had a couple in my career that shouldn't be managers as their practices take down the morale of the group.

Manufacturing Technician

Current Employee - Manufacturing Technician  in  Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Technician in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Intel Corporation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The pay is good, nice gym, free soda and pretty good health plans.

Cons

A lot of pressure, constant stress and pay raises have been falling behind real inflation.

Just stop it. We know there is a lot of competition but killing everyone with stress won't make the company more innovative.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Above average industry pay but dull routine work, especially in the high-volume fabs.

Former Employee - Process TD Engineer  in  Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Process TD Engineer in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Intel Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good pay compared to industry average.
    Process engineer at Intel is an extremely secure job.

Cons

Mind-numbing work (which is why they hire PhDs from any major. What does a Mat. Sci. Phd have in common with a biochem PhD??)
    Terrible work-life balance (weekend on-call and about 6 months every year is in a 7 day start up phase).
    Heirarchical management (not welcoming of dissenting dialogue on a problem, even if presented with data)

Be open to discussions with your hires, rather than giving ARs.

Great benefits, but advancement is only for the insanely ambitious

Former Employee - IT Finance Analyst  in  Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - IT Finance Analyst in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Intel Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great health care, very flexible work arrangements. I loved my immediate boss and her boss. I loved being able to work with so many smart, nice colleagues (that we're peers).

Cons

Tight-fisted with spending on training. If they pay you a salary, they expect you to do an insane amount of work and make it look easy. A lot of the managers, all the way up to the president and CEO are callous, arrogant, and short-sighted.

You have too many finance people. Renee has no business being president. BK should go back to being COO. Stop paying consultants to tell you how to run the business. Your full-time employees resent them and could do a better job anyway, if allowed to do so.

The best of times, the worst of times...

Former Employee - Silicon Architecture Engineer  in  Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Silicon Architecture Engineer in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Intel Corporation full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Your colleagues can easily become your best friends. Work/life balance was very good. Health care benefits were fairly good and they have patient advocates who will take up your cause with the insurance provider if necessary which really blew me away the one time I needed them. Opportunities to work from home were superb.

Cons

I worked at Intel for 8 1/2 years. The last couple of years were my most passionate and my greatest frustration. While none of my managers were malicious, their net effect was categorically abusive. I simultaneously had a skillset that was too critical to my server project to allow me to take an offered SoC "Hot Job" (jobs identified as critical for the company's future), but not worthy enough to address the career growth reasons for my dissatisfaction with the project that led me to want to leave, but they still offered me nearly half a years pay to voluntarily separate from the company to make space to hire more engineers for SoC. Let that sink in - I had been offered an SoC-related engineering job and my group blocked my transfer then offered me a large buyout to leave the company because they needed to make room to hire SoC engineers. Again, nobody was being malicious here, but I was in the middle of three different ridiculous circumstances caused by decision of three different levels of management all acting in what, at some level, was the most rational thing for them to do. At no point did anybody stand up to say "the company is paying a good engineer we could use in SoC to leave the company. That doesn't seem right."

Intel will tell you largely and loudly about how much they value the people working there, but they have erected systemic barriers that allow pathological levels of cruelty towards these same people. Intel will shout until they are Intel-blue-in-the-face that they have these wonderful systems for recognizing and rewarding accomplishments, but they're very inconsistent in their use. I worked on my own time for two years creating an architectural firmware debugging GUI tool. After it was announced that I was leaving, architects and engineers from different teams and different projects popped up to make sure that the source code would be available once I was gone. Over 400 hours of my own time creating it, other engineers apparently thinking that preservation of the source for it was of paramount importance, yet it was never deemed enough of an accomplishment for either recognition or reward. I can think of few more stinging ways to wound a departing engineer. When the buyout offer was extended to everyone, 5 acceptees were asked to delay their departure because their skills were needed badly. I was one of those 5 and to this day one of my greatest regrets of my 8 years at Intel was agreeing to it.

I offer this example for illustrative purposes to demonstrate the dysfunctional connection between Intel's intentions, and Intel's actions. That last tool was not the first time I had identified a need, spent my own time providing a solution, had the tool picked up by many other engineers but received no notice from management until I moved on -- it was the third. The problem is systemic with deep roots. It also isn't why I left. I left because my career growth was dependent on the cooperation of a junior engineer who was getting rewarded with annual review bullet points for non-cooperation.

Think about the Intel values and think about how you are using them. They're good values, but worthless if they're little more than filler on the back of your badge calendar. My manager sat in a cube 600 miles away held 30 minute 1:1's with me on average once every 3 weeks. When I complained up the management chain, nobody thought this was something that deserved attention. My manager assured me that he understood my concerns and had a good sense of what was going on. When the auto-generated emails from Taleo started arriving, his first question to me was: "what can we do to keep you here?" Apparently he didn't actually know my concerns. He pleaded with me to wait just a little longer before accepting anything, which I did. When the server group GM enabled management to block transfers for 6 months, all such pleading stopped. Are you listening to your direct reports? Do you know what they're working on? Do you recognize when they go the extra mile for the project? Do you confront conflict between engineers constructively or do you ignore it and tell them to "deal with it"? Is the best tool in your belt the ability to delay dealing with a report's concerns until you can argue that addressing something that far in the past would do more harm than good? In 1:1's do any of your reports have to spend most of their time telling you what they've been working on because you can't remember?

Manufacturing Engineer & Supervisor

Former Employee - Industrial Engineer  in  Las Piedras, PR
    Former Employee - Industrial Engineer in Las Piedras, PR

I worked at Intel Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent payment. Great work piece rate. Great parking lot. Great security. Great food.

Cons

Discrimination against women.Not organize management.Hostile work environment. Noisy. Not work life balance.

Do not discriminate women

Intern in SDN

Former Employee - Intern  in  Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Intern in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Intel Corporation as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Excellent Work-life balance
    A lot diverse fields to explore.
    Latest hardware technologies available atleast 2 years earlier than at other places to work out new concepts and ideas.

Cons

Not a perfect fit for CS graduates.
    If you want to achieve something, you have to battle out alone.

Constant change keeps you a little off balance

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Intel Corporation full-time

Pros

You can define the technological solution space of the next generation compute engines

Cons

Use of performance anxiety driven overwork labeled as "healthy tension" can make the place "difficult". See also "high tech lawsuit" for further info on HR policies.

Dump focal, get back to the core values that have gradually become ignored or only given lip service. The solution is printed on the back of your work week calendar.

Work experience in intel

Current Employee - Hardware Engineer  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Hardware Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Intel Corporation full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good place to work in, normal salary

Cons

very tired, very very tired

Worked for Intel Corporation? Contribute to the Community!