Intel Corporation Reviews

Reset
3.7
Intel Corporation CEO Brian M. Krzanich
Brian M. Krzanich

Pros
  • Decent work-life balance (in the right groups with the right managers) (in 528 reviews)

• Opportunity to work with the cutting edge technology (in 139 reviews)

Cons
  • In manufacturing - brutal work/life balance (in 195 reviews)

• Can be difficult in decision making (in 113 reviews)

Your experience will vary depending on factors you don't control

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Intel Corporation full-time

Pros

Pay is generally very good, 2 extra bonus programs, especially if you're in higher grade. You may get to travel to different GEOs - our team had collaborating divisions all over the world (Finland, Israel, Netherlands, S.Korea, Taiwan). Good opportunity to see places. I traveled 2-3 times a year being in an engineering role. Some good positive aspects of the culture - Intel has a "work-week" (WW) based schedule (simpler to learn and more efficient), it at least declares a lot of good intentions (but in practice you may find a different picture), all kind of training is available to employees (a lot of mandatory programs). Intel has plenty of relationships in the industry. My team ended up facing customers in "deep technical dive" support programs, I got to work with all big industry names: Samsung, Asus, HP, Dell, Sharp, Sony, to name a few.

Cons

I formed a very low opinion of higher / senior level management. Within the company, they essentially encourage what a good friend of mine called a "clan war". I happen to work in MCG (mobile communication group) that throughout my time (3.5 year) was reorganized 6 times(!). Many times the multi-month work of whole department (not only my team) was thrashed, because some new boss would come and "not favor" your team and whatever result was done to that date. Global cross-team coordination effort was very low to non-existent. Teams would "fight" for resources, and have a quite unhealthy competition. Decision would be made with some irrelevant considerations, and forced down to my team. As result, the culture actually experienced would not be really engaging. The performance review process is essentially botched. Some much higher management essentially issues a quota on number of good performance ratings to your team. Then, you end up in a situation when no matter how much you tried, you'd be stuck at your performance grade, because no good rating can be made available to you (again despite the acknowledgement of high level of contribution and such). Example: our team received only one EE (exceeds expectations) rating, and my manager decided to use it to promote one particular employee (citing his family situation (he had a new child, etc), and his current lower grade). Others were given S (satisfactory) rating

Advice to Management

fire most of senior management as incapable

2. engineer

Current Employee - Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Intel Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefit, flexible time, wide human network

Cons

so far, none has been found. If nay, it would be related to duration of decision making time.

3. Fantastic, well-established company

Current Employee - IT Business Analyst in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - IT Business Analyst in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Intel Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome work/life balance. Stable job and easy to try out other roles and positions.

Cons

Average age is pretty old since people stay so long. Lots of established processes/hoops to jump through.

Advice to Management

Be more agile and innovative!

5. Component Design review

Current Employee - Senior Component Design Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Component Design Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Intel Corporation (More than 5 years)

Pros

Overall avg bonus and good environment to work

Cons

growth opportunities and yearly growth very low

Advice to Management

yearly growth should be fairly distributed and managers should be given more flexibilities to do that

6. nice culture

Former Employee - Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Intel Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Intel is a good company with decent company culture and respect engineers

Cons

same issues as other big companies. So move slowly, not fast enough.

7. Too Bureaucratic

Former Employee - Graphics Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Graphics Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Intel Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salary and bonuses are decent; the four-week sabbatical benefit after 4 years is also nice. There's a lot of flexibility given to the engineers (at least in some groups).

Cons

Too much bureaucracy and no concern for software quality; constantly having to fight others to get the right things done.

Advice to Management

First-level management needs to understand how to write software better so they can better manage and reward their engineers properly (and remove the low performers, not accepting poor quality work).

8. Wireless Software Architect

Current Employee - Senior Software Architect in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Architect in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Intel Corporation (More than a year)

Pros

Good place to work with lots of research opportunities

Cons

Open source community contribution in Wireless domain is very conservative

9. Human Resources area

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Intel Corporation (Less than a year)

Pros

Get to have the experience

Cons

RACIST, they talk about diversity but the people working there are the most anti-diverse ever known. RUDE, you would say hi to them or ask them a question and they wouldn't answer. No room for advancement for young people. They do not tolerate noise and i can keep going ...Even the CEO is making a great job promoting diversity at the workplace, unfortunately that word does not exist in the employees dictionary.

10. Senior Software Engineer

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Intel Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Intel is a great company to work for. The CPUs/GPUs you work on are next generation and very relevant to your life and just about everyone else's life throughout the world. Intel is one of those companies that when you say where you work people know and have respect for you. I find the work to be challenging, and the people to be nice. Intel as a company is helpful to the communities it lives in by supporting many employee volunteering programs. With matching employee contributions, Intel supports what its employees support. Intel has even put a lot of effort in going green. My best wishes to everyone.

Cons

You will instantly become tech support for everyone in your family. That is funny, but there are some serious cons. Intel is still a great company to work for, but management has been slowly moving away from caring about their employees and toward caring about themselves. Hopefully, this trend will stop and they will again realize how Intel came to be Intel one of the greatest companies in the world.

Advice to Management

Employee "punishments" is not a “difficult task that has to be done”. It is a failure to do your job properly, and bring out the best people have to offer. Intel needs to move to larger direct reports per manager (something like 40 or more). Managers of small groups tend to hold back technology as their fears of not being able to keep up drives decisions using their managerial power instead of their intelligence.

11. Nice experience

Current Employee - PLM Teamcenter Consultant in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - PLM Teamcenter Consultant in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Intel Corporation (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent Team Very good work culture

Cons

Not enough Exposer to work more or long time

Showing 548 of 5,068 reviews