Intel Corporation Reviews

3.7
Intel Corporation CEO Brian M. Krzanich
Brian M. Krzanich
1,061 Ratings

Startup culture has matured to a large corporation

Current Employee - Research Scientist in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Research Scientist in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Intel Corporation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Recognition for technical contributions, leadership in hardware (if you do silicon you should work for Intel at one point in your career.) Deep pockets. Culture of personal responsibility. Wide latitude in locations and ability to work remotely with your group.

Cons

Focus on individual contributions rather than team value. Hard to integrate for mid-career entry employees. There is an established career advancement path that you should move along in terms of promotion if you want to enjoy a long career.

Revamp the "focal" process. It gets politicized -- e.g. becomes subjective -- and adversely affects the motivation of many valuable people.

A great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Intel Corporation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great place to work on a variety of projects and receive global experience. I can honestly say I was never, ever bored and was always challenged to be my very best. The company values constructive confrontation and is very data driven so you need to be able to thrive in that kind of environment to succeed. Intel also has a great sabbatical program which helps make up for the challenges in work/life balance. Overall, I'm very proud to have had the opportunity to work at Intel and recommend the company.

Cons

Work/Life balance can be challenging; however, I believe this is probably true of most global technology companies.

Reward structure should be re-architected to align more directly with performance and promotions should be reworked to create more opportunities for advancement.

3. Good company with great people. Even as a contractor, I enjoyed working at Intel.

Former Contractor - Video Technician in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Contractor - Video Technician in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Intel Corporation as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

- Really nice people - outstanding management.
    - Relaxed atmosphere (at least in my department).
    - Opportunities for advancement.
    - Creativity was always welcome and encouraged. As a contract Video Tech having only started the first few days of my employment at Intel, this was a HUGE plus.
    - Decent pay.
    - Occasional free stuff.

Cons

No easy commute options for the North Bay and East Bay. That's my only complaint. I ended up leaving because my daily round-trip commute was almost 4 hours long and cost $46 via public transit.

Perhaps offer shuttles for Intel employees in remote parts of the Bay? This would have made a world of difference in my employment. Facebook, Google and all those other big names offer shuttles, so why shouldn't Intel?

grade 7 component engineer

Current Employee - Senior Component Design Engineer Grade 7 in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Component Design Engineer Grade 7 in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Intel Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

easy to transfer internally; as long as you work for 1 year, you can transfer to another group

Cons

always in layoff mode; no loyalties to employee

get rid of rank and rating system to encourage more teamwork

Good company in terms of overall compensation and stability

Current Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Intel Corporation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Work-life balance really depends on what group you join. Some of my friends swear it's like having a government job, but some work late nights and weekends all the time.

Cons

Like any large company, you'll encounter problems of politics and bureaucracy

Great work/life balance, but no more working from home.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Intel Corporation

Pros

Competitive compensation. Tons of work groups and tech forums to help individual grow.

Cons

No work from home. Hard to have a promote.

8. Great place to work

Current Employee - Analog Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Analog Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Intel Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

State of the art technology. Solid revenue product line

Cons

Too many layers in the management

Great organization!!!

Former Employee - QA Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - QA Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Intel Corporation

Pros

This is a very competitive firm, likes to win. Comp is ok. People are very talented. you will work with the best in your field. Workplace facilities are improving and plenty of opptys to work in different parts of the company.

Cons

Not really a lot of cons. It’s a big company, and just depending on where you are, sometimes decisions can be slow. Normal for any big company. Intel is relatively agile.

10. Great for a start of a career

Current Employee - Digital Design Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Digital Design Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Intel Corporation

Pros

Projects, Teams, Mentors, Culture, Events, Opportunities

Cons

Unnecessarily Competitive, Slow, Bad Cafe, No shuttles, No work-lif balance

Be open to change

Good company, just not if you're young.

Current Employee - Product Development Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Product Development Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Intel Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company is at the forefront of technology in many different areas, allowing access to cutting edge pathfinding and development of new technology. The resources of a large company allow high dollar projects and collaborating across the world. Vacation time is not recorded for salaried employees and is mostly managed by the employee (and maybe his manager). Schedules are often very flexible for engineers (not technicians or FAB employees). Personal growth is encouraged and there are programs to try and help employees expand their skill set. Retirement contribution of ~5% is given annually to a 401K, regardless of the employees own contributions (i.e. not matching). Paid sabbaticals are given every 4 (additional 4 weeks) or 7 years (additional 8 weeks). That is probably the main advantage of working at Intel over similar companies in the area.

Cons

Being young at Intel is very difficult. Employees are considered "new" until they've been here 10+ years and given little respect. The raise / promotion system is heavily dated and causes serious problems within groups and among peers (strict quotas for promotions and ranking employees within a group). The benefits across the board have been heavily cut over the past 5-10 years, resulting in a significantly worse overall package than before. No shuttles available at the main headquarters (to SF, San Jose, etc). Vacation is nothing special (3 weeks until 10 years, then 4), vesting for retirement contribution is incredibly long (6 years total, nothing until 2 years - 20%), and vesting for stocks is also long (4 years).

Update the Focal process (raise / promotions), make the work environment better for young employees, and add shuttles or subsidize use of public transportation for employees (Caltrain passes, etc.). Shorten periods for vesting and additional vacation if you want to attract young talent that isn't necessarily interested in spending 10 - 30 years at one company.