Intel Corporation

3.8
3,777 Reviews

Intel Corporation CEO Brian M. Krzanich
Brian M. Krzanich

Pros
  • Work life balance depends on teams but don't expect any rewards for your hardwork (in 455 reviews)

• It was a stable job in a cutting edge technology field (in 131 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is not respected by managers in the validation group in Austin (in 165 reviews)

• Very heavy decision making processes, usually involving a lot of stake holders (in 109 reviews)

More Highlights

448 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Summer Internship

Former Employee - Graduate Research Intern  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Graduate Research Intern in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Intel Corporation as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great place to work! Lots of opportunity to network with people. Events almost every week to meet new groups/interns/managers/project members. Opportunities to take lots of training and learn.

Cons

Getting acquainted with processes takes some time..

Very nice corp.

Former Employee - Chemical Process Eng  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Chemical Process Eng in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Intel Corporation as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Learn a lot of process.

Cons

Lost of equipment to wear

work more closely with staff

Solid company with many opportunities

Former Employee - Program Manager  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Intel Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Large company with many different types of roles and opportunities, total compensation is reasonable

Cons

Hours working out of the office can be a lot, ranking and rating can make it difficult to advance and grow

Take care of the lower grade levels as well as the higher, continue to drive the great place to work programs

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Such great potential, resources, and people encumbered by past success.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Intel Corporation full-time

Pros

Intel is light years of the competition in the areas of semiconductor process engineering and manufacturing. And some of the best people I have encountered in the hardware and SOC development areas. For hardware engineering, and software to a lesser degree, offers amazing resources and challenges for a technical contributor. Has interesting and challenging problems to solve. If you get in the right group can really be a great experience. BK and most of the exec staff have a true appreciation of people and creating a good work environment. Good benefits. Physical work environment for me was good (1970s era cubicles with separate lab space), but rapidly converting to mobile work environment which is *horrible* for technical/knowledge workers.

Cons

Big, slow, encumbered by past success, unable to move crisply and decisively to take advantage of opportunities. New experienced execs brought in to build new agile organizations only succeed in building self-serving fiefdoms.

I came to Intel after having worked at several start-ups (I had also been a Founder in the past). Very, very bureaucratic - one spends 90% of your time justifying your existence and 10% doing actual work. Intel has a disease prevalent at many large aging organizations that are coasting on past success: information hoarding and herds of people spending time guarding their turf. In a start-up environment I spent a lot of time working with colleagues to get things done. At Intel I spent too much time justifying what I was doing, and why working to address other orgs fears that I (and my org) would encroach on their turf. Very depressing.

My first two levels of management (immediate supervisor and Director) were horrible - long time Intel employees who managed me remotely and had no clue about what I should be doing, and what I was doing. THis despite proactive weekly status reports from me. I don't think my immediate manager ever read any status reports I sent. After I left Intel I also found out he also failed to pass along any mgt feedback requests from HR.

0. "Product Management" at Intel is totally broken, fix it. The Strategic Planning function worked for Intel 10 years ago, doesn't anymore. Switch to 1) Product Management model rather than Strategic Planning, 2) empower Product Managers with significant product responsibility, including P&L, 3) distribute Product Mgt function to product divisions, not centralized at the corporate level. And most important break-up SSG and integrate core functions with corresponding silicon design teams.
    1. Ditch mobile work-stations. These are very dehumanizing, worse than cubicles. One has no "Intel home" which for many people gives them pride and a sense of ownership. Horrible idea.
    2. Make sure you get meaningful and timely feedback directly from individual contributors on their management chain up thru VP (I worked directly with this level). Do not rely on mgt to solicit and deliver this information.
    3. Fewer VPs, more individual contributors with autonomy, resources, and responsibility to get things done.
    4. Divorce TMG from X86 architecture, open the doors for Intel Fabs to aggressively compete with TSMC and GF. The fabless model is the future and the sooner Intel gets on that boat the better.
    5. Take x86 ISA off the pedestal - let alternative architectures developed internally compete.

Not a great experience

Former Employee - Programmer Analyst  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Intel Corporation full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good team members and smart people created a good opportunity to learn

Cons

Lots of politics and red tape

None

Good technology, good engineers, rigid culture, dull atmosphere.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Intel Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Many very smart people, lots of projects and areas to work in. Location choice (between California, Oregon, Arizona, Massachusetts, and a few smaller sites). Option to work from home at least some days.

Cons

A lot of bureaucracy: weekly and monthly status reports. Not a lot of initiative. Ultimately, it's a manufacturing company so that side of the business dictates the rules. A lot of collaborative work involves participants in different sites and countries, so meetings, including regular ones can be scheduled at odd hours. Massive buildings full of grey cubicles.

Reward initiative. Replace rows of grey cubicles with something more lively, after all in the Bay Area you are competing with Google, Facebook, and Apple.

Good company to work at.

Current Employee - Modem Systems Architect  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Modem Systems Architect in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Intel Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good working environment and amble cash in the bank

Cons

Integration after Acquisition doesn't go well.

Streamlined integration is needed to increase the value of the acquisition

OK company

Current Employee - Senior Component Design Engineer  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Component Design Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Intel Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

At intel, you can find work life balance. It is very hard to find anywhere else in semiconductor industry.

Cons

The company is huge; there are too many people there, and the opportunitie to grow is very limited. Sometimes the skills you gained at intel is not that useful outside, as the methodolgy are different.

Component design engineer

Current Employee - Component Design Engineer  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Component Design Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Intel Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place for interns to start and a recent graduate. Flexible work culture.

Cons

Less pay hikes and non effective bonus giving strategies. Hard to stay in company since last 6 months after reorg!!!

Intel

Current Employee - Program Manager  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Intel Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great place to work, Intel has regular employee events
    Located right off of 101 Highway
    Still has sabbatical after 7 years
    Interesting work
    Free fruit and drinks

Cons

Need to drive out if you want to eat outside of the cafe
    Working with engineers is more difficult since the engineers are spread all over the globe in various time zones

Worked for Intel Corporation? Contribute to the Community!