Intelius Reviews

Updated August 16, 2014
Updated August 16, 2014
2.2

Naveen Jain

Great place to work, strongly team oriented.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Intelius full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the smartest people I have worked with in my career. Everyone is a potential mentor and happy to help out and help you reach your goals. Lots of great places to eat. I enjoyed the teams I worked with and built great friendships.

Cons

It's hard to make lateral moves within the company. If you are a person that is not sure about what career path you want to take, this is not the place that will allow you to explore other opportunities.

Be more open to employees exploring career choices.

Good engineers, but shady business practices and low pay

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Intelius full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent operations and release staff
    Some very good developers on board (You can learn quite a bit)
    Opportunity to work on a product used by millions of people

Cons

Very political culture
    Some positions at the company were obviously filled as a favor, not because of competency
    Focus on making money, even to the detriment of customers
    Below market rate pay

Shady Business Practices, Double Standards and Class Action Lawsuits

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Intelius full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My fellow employees were a pleasure to work beside and stayed as long as I did because of the friends I had made.

Cons

The company has many aliases and many have bad BBB ratings constantly changing or adding new names. The management would troll blogs and give positive false reviews to counter act the negative reviews. Most customers were/are duped into additional MRCs of $19.99 when not completely going through the fine print and understanding what it actually meant. The T&C were extremely covert, double tongued and literally fine printed.

Its not ok to raise your voice to and belittle, bully or intimidate your employees. If it's ok for management to do something ie smoke pot in your car, have a drink or 2 at lunch or come in constantly late I personally do not feel it's ok to fire another employee for doing the same thing.

Sr. Program Mgr

Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Intelius full-time (more than an year)

Pros

work-life balance, friendly folks, no much pressure

Cons

low pay, shady business practice, sub quality techies

Worked as a customer retention specialist. Awful job, awful callers, had to upsell 'identity protection' plans.

Former Employee - Customer Retention Specialist in Bothell, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Retention Specialist in Bothell, WA

I worked at Intelius full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The employees were all nice to work with. All besides the management.

Cons

Was my job to lie and make excuses for the company's bad business practices.

Quit lying to yourselves; this company is a slimy business.

Leadership lacks vision, insists on rehashing the same product over and over

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Intelius full-time

Pros

Typically they have a very good work life balance. Employees are given fair compensation and decent benefits.

Cons

Compensation is fair, but not spectacular. Top level management is stagnant, and somewhat of an old boys club. Almost exclusively, the product ideas that gain traction are just a different methods of reselling the same data - with little innovation. The company feels like a business company rather than a technology company. Business successes and failures are celebrated or mourned throughout the company, while technology takes a back seat. Extremely high employee turnover, particularly among the more senior members of the engineering corps. There used to be a "work hard, play hard" culture, where successes were rewarded with fun great team events and blowout yearly parties. This has been replaced by a "work hard, work hard" culture, where I feel that many of our successes go unappreciated. Naveen Jain, the CEO, is a scumbag who has had multiple legal issues revolving around his invasion of personal privacy, deceitful marketing, and outright theft from previous companies.

Change it up. We need a serious change of high level management that can shift this company from a data resale engine to an actual tech company that solves interesting problems for our customers. We need stronger identity.

Company with potential, no longer

I worked at Intelius full-time

Pros

Pros here include: Decent parking compensation program. Near Bellevue bus. Engineers on call get comped on cellular bill. Some smart folks work here who want to do good. Facilities and working areas are pretty new. Working on the 22nd or 16th floor offers good views of Bellevue.

Cons

Baggage with a number of older projects, products and botched aquisitions. Lots of wild hair side projects to make a quick buck. Lack of concern for customer and delivering a quality product. Management will lie about a number of things to cover up issues with the company. Lack of willingness to admit failure to improve the business. Company also has a tendency to go low on compensation. Lately employee attrition has been high. Lack of respect for the CEO in the region. Intelius is not a well liked business in the region.

Focus on one product and remove distractions. Learn from your mistakes, and become more accountable to your employees. They know when you make mistakes, so addressing them and making a plan to succeed in the future is key. Get a CEO who's focused on the company's success. The current one is focused on a number of projects. Intelius/Inome seems to be a side project.

No focus, horrible decision making on the exec team, a rudderless company

I have been working at Intelius full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some great people work here and really care about their jobs and others they work with.

Cons

Nightmarishly scary decisions across every department, mind blowing fiscal waste on some fronts and inability to inspire or lead the employees in any meaningful way. Layoffs are continuing.....

They haven't figured anything out yet and shouldnt be expected to moving forward. Look around at the few people left and let them truly lead. Most are smarter and know know the business much much better than you.

Shady dealings. Mixed messages from top management.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Intelius full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They like to hire young people and give them a chance to grow.

Cons

The put those young people into positions they aren't ready for because they don't have to pay them much. They have a history of adding hidden fees into the transaction pipeline, which I thought had ended. But the last round of such behavior this summer resulted in the company laying off 1/4 of its employees.

Find your core competency, streamline it and stop trying to grift money from your users.

Unethical, 0 Integrity Worst job ever

Former Employee - Customer Service in Bothell, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Bothell, WA

I worked at Intelius full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Had a lunch break that is about it.

Cons

Everything but the lunch break

I decided after multiple negatives at this job to call it quits, first when I was hired I was told I was being hired for a sales role which then turned into a customer service role. But what sent me over the edge was the fact they knew they were robbing people of their money and we could not refund them their money unless the customer mentioned the BBB or the Attorney General. They had an out source company in Indonesia and one day a customer called me and asked why he was still being charged $40.00 a month on his CC, he said he canceled it 7 months ago and talked to the out source people and they were suppose to cancel it. I placed him on hold and investigated it and the out source had notes on his account that said he called and canceled his account. The out source person who canceled his account didn't cancel it the correct way so the customer was still being billed, knowing that is was our companies fault that he was still being billed I contacted a manager to ask if we could refund the customer I showed the manager the notes of the out source rep saying he wanted to cancel and that they messed up some how by not closing his account down. My manager said we could do nothing even though it was our fault. I pleaded for the customer because he was out almost $300.00 because of us they still said we can't refund him his money. This was the straw that broke the camels back it happened all the time we made a mistake and the customers have to pay for it. I quit within the week.