Intelius

Updated August 16, 2014
2.2

Naveen Jain

17 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to work, strongly team oriented.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Intelius full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the smartest people I have worked with in my career. Everyone is a potential mentor and happy to help out and help you reach your goals. Lots of great places to eat. I enjoyed the teams I worked with and built great friendships.

Cons

It's hard to make lateral moves within the company. If you are a person that is not sure about what career path you want to take, this is not the place that will allow you to explore other opportunities.

Be more open to employees exploring career choices.

Good engineers, but shady business practices and low pay

I worked at Intelius full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent operations and release staff
    Some very good developers on board (You can learn quite a bit)
    Opportunity to work on a product used by millions of people

Cons

Very political culture
    Some positions at the company were obviously filled as a favor, not because of competency
    Focus on making money, even to the detriment of customers
    Below market rate pay

Shady Business Practices, Double Standards and Class Action Lawsuits

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Intelius full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My fellow employees were a pleasure to work beside and stayed as long as I did because of the friends I had made.

Cons

The company has many aliases and many have bad BBB ratings constantly changing or adding new names. The management would troll blogs and give positive false reviews to counter act the negative reviews. Most customers were/are duped into additional MRCs of $19.99 when not completely going through the fine print and understanding what it actually meant. The T&C were extremely covert, double tongued and literally fine printed.

Its not ok to raise your voice to and belittle, bully or intimidate your employees. If it's ok for management to do something ie smoke pot in your car, have a drink or 2 at lunch or come in constantly late I personally do not feel it's ok to fire another employee for doing the same thing.

Sr. Program Mgr

Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Intelius full-time (more than an year)

Pros

work-life balance, friendly folks, no much pressure

Cons

low pay, shady business practice, sub quality techies

Worked as a customer retention specialist. Awful job, awful callers, had to upsell 'identity protection' plans.

Former Employee - Customer Retention Specialist in Bothell, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Retention Specialist in Bothell, WA

I worked at Intelius full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The employees were all nice to work with. All besides the management.

Cons

Was my job to lie and make excuses for the company's bad business practices.

Quit lying to yourselves; this company is a slimy business.

Company with potential, no longer

I worked at Intelius full-time

Pros

Pros here include: Decent parking compensation program. Near Bellevue bus. Engineers on call get comped on cellular bill. Some smart folks work here who want to do good. Facilities and working areas are pretty new. Working on the 22nd or 16th floor offers good views of Bellevue.

Cons

Baggage with a number of older projects, products and botched aquisitions. Lots of wild hair side projects to make a quick buck. Lack of concern for customer and delivering a quality product. Management will lie about a number of things to cover up issues with the company. Lack of willingness to admit failure to improve the business. Company also has a tendency to go low on compensation. Lately employee attrition has been high. Lack of respect for the CEO in the region. Intelius is not a well liked business in the region.

Focus on one product and remove distractions. Learn from your mistakes, and become more accountable to your employees. They know when you make mistakes, so addressing them and making a plan to succeed in the future is key. Get a CEO who's focused on the company's success. The current one is focused on a number of projects. Intelius/Inome seems to be a side project.

Shady dealings. Mixed messages from top management.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Intelius full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They like to hire young people and give them a chance to grow.

Cons

The put those young people into positions they aren't ready for because they don't have to pay them much. They have a history of adding hidden fees into the transaction pipeline, which I thought had ended. But the last round of such behavior this summer resulted in the company laying off 1/4 of its employees.

Find your core competency, streamline it and stop trying to grift money from your users.

Unethical, 0 Integrity Worst job ever

Former Employee - Customer Service in Bothell, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Bothell, WA

I worked at Intelius full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Had a lunch break that is about it.

Cons

Everything but the lunch break

I decided after multiple negatives at this job to call it quits, first when I was hired I was told I was being hired for a sales role which then turned into a customer service role. But what sent me over the edge was the fact they knew they were robbing people of their money and we could not refund them their money unless the customer mentioned the BBB or the Attorney General. They had an out source company in Indonesia and one day a customer called me and asked why he was still being charged $40.00 a month on his CC, he said he canceled it 7 months ago and talked to the out source people and they were suppose to cancel it. I placed him on hold and investigated it and the out source had notes on his account that said he called and canceled his account. The out source person who canceled his account didn't cancel it the correct way so the customer was still being billed, knowing that is was our companies fault that he was still being billed I contacted a manager to ask if we could refund the customer I showed the manager the notes of the out source rep saying he wanted to cancel and that they messed up some how by not closing his account down. My manager said we could do nothing even though it was our fault. I pleaded for the customer because he was out almost $300.00 because of us they still said we can't refund him his money. This was the straw that broke the camels back it happened all the time we made a mistake and the customers have to pay for it. I quit within the week.

lame people and no room to advance

I worked at Intelius

Pros

- Very low stress level, typical 9 - 5 office hours. Rarely need to work overtime.
    - Easy to survive, too many slackers around this company, some so-called engineers and dev managers don't even know the basics. Which means no matter you are a fresh grad or entry level engineer, you will find yourself better than a lot of people here.

Cons

- Salary and benefit are way below industry standard
    - No room to grow, never haven't anyone get prompted during my time. However, they prompted a bunch of people because most talented hard workers left in the past few months.
    - Expect to work with some noobs, this company still has some smart, hard working people, but you can count them with one hand. If you are unfortunate enough to work with one of the dev manager who only knows cowboy coding, good luck.
    - Work with very legacy, hard to maintain code, while not being allowed to change anything as they are your manager's babies.
    - Bad reputation, virtually no one knows Intelius and it has pretty bad reputation in Wall Street. IPO is simply a joke.

Keep the good guys and get rid of the "older, wiser" boys.

satisfying and rewarding work wise

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Intelius

Pros

Dynamic, fast paced work environment. Good work life balance

Cons

Public perception of the Company and CEO is not great

Improve public perception of the company and CEO