Intellectual Ventures

Updated Jun 29, 2014

Nathan Myhrvold

High Impact/High Expectations

Bellevue, WA

ProsOver my four years at IV I've had the opportunity to play in multiple spaces and take on new roles/ responsibilities. I'm challenged to think about things differently and deliver solutions that meet the needs of our employees, customers and investors.

IV is definitely a place for self-motivated individuals who want to have a lasting impact. People that are intellectually curious, driven and courageous can be incredibly successful and re-write their career here at IV.

ConsLimited internal communication about IV's evolving business strategy etc.

The building I sit in happens to be mostly offices (which can be considered a perk for some) but does not have any collaborative spaces. It would be great if our space matched the culture of innovation we foster.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore face-time with Founders and our Leadership Team about our evolving business strategy.

Leadership destroys value of the company and not Intellectual Property professional.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPay is typically 20% better from industry

ConsLed by non professional management - those below founders.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire the leadership team.

Wasted time & energy on too many projects that went nowhere, and management didn’t seem to care or FU on advice.

Professional Services Flunky (Former Employee)
    Bellevue, WA

ProsGood pay, interesting projects, illusion of helping to advance tech innovation.

ConsInfighting among top management, particularly between the single-mindedly money-obsessed lawyers and the techno geeks, who want to make big bucks while solving big problems with technology. Middle managers who don’t want to do any managing. Constant disruptive shuffling of staff around (although this may have tapered off at the current HQ). Converting staff jobs into casual contract work. Deceptive business practices. IV presents itself as a tech innovation incubator, but that’s a Potemkin Village façade. The firm makes most of its money from patent licensing fees collected via underhanded, hardball legal tactics. Listen to the NPR series When Patents Attack for details.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer better opportunities for career advancement to smart, capable, hard-working employees who have proven their worth. Hire middle managers who actually want to manage and have some talent for management. Stop pretending your extortion racket is a high-tech incubator. If you're going to be a sharp operator, be honest about it. People will respect you more. Your Terra Power spin-off that’s working on the next generation of nuclear reactor disasters will prove to be a big waste of money. Shut it down immediately and invest in tulip bulbs instead.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Most frustrating job ever

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery smart colleagues, 401K match better than most,

ConsMost decision makers have no relevant background, nor do they make an effort to learn the ropes. No meaningful best practices process nor process refinement in place. Many silos and tyrants entrenched.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to people who are in the trenches and take action on the issues they deal with repeatedly.

The Perfect Internship

OCTO Intern (Former Employee)
    Bellevue, WA

ProsI worked as an MBA intern with the OCTO group and had a fantastic experience. My work was interesting and challenging, it stretched me to learn a great deal, and it drew on many different parts of my background. I loved the team that I worked on. The people in OCTO make it a great place to work.

ConsThere seemed to be limited strategic direction for the project on which I worked. This changed, I understand, after some changes were made to the folks in leadership.

Been here 5 years, growing pains have lead to improvements in leadership

IT Infrastructure (Current Employee)
    Bellevue, WA

ProsWork life balance, compensation, location, new leadership in the last couple of years, I get to work on a lot of different things, and I feel supported and appreciated by the new IT leadership. Lots of clubs, HR has good employee focused programs, peer lead technical training, and the people support and help each other.

ConsSTG (IT) went through a really difficult period due to poor leadership but that changed at the beginning of 2012. Some people still get stuck in the old defensive mindset and need to be shaken out of apathy. Makes getting things done take longer. Recent layoffs due to growing too quickly.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to turn success into a process and just support what works.

Excellent place to workplace

Network Engineer (Current Employee)
    Bellevue, WA

ProsUpward mobility, exciting environment, great team. Everyone is working to change the world together. It has been fun to watch this company grow.

ConsIf you are too specialized, this environment will be challenging. It is a smaller company so many people wear more than one hat.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep improving

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Diverse work experience in IP field

ProsOpportunities in IP work are extensive: patent prosecution, patent licensing, patent mining, patent valuation, reexam defense, patent sales, patent landscaping, patent drafting; great people, great teamwork; very competitive salaries;

ConsCan be disorganized environment; difficult to get decisions from leadership; reward structure encourages putting personal interests ahead of company interests; leadership needs to be more "present"

Top heavy company with leaders unable to decide direction

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)
    Bellevue, WA

ProsSalaries and bonus are high for area. Benefits are good,

ConsOpportunities to advance are limited, there is constantly a new re-org happening (typically 1 company wide re-org/year), lack of communication from top, too many managers, management unable to commit to a direction for the company. Typically 1 set of layoffs have been happening every year for the last few years.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake a decision and stick to it - give it an a chance to actually try to work. One cannot expect to make a change and expect it to work flawlessly without any issues and immediately deliver. Communicate more downward & work on getting rid of the hierarchy of management.

Largest NPE in history of the world....but really more than that -- a family of IP investment funds.

Senior Director (Former Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsOrg thinks boldly -- willing to tackle big IP issues, talk about, discuss and try to innovate solutions.
    Has a quasi-think tank feel to it -- not surprising given founders came from that environment (MSFT Labs).
    Lots of really smart folks from very different backgrounds; intellectual melting pot.

ConsPlagued by endemic re-orgs, for which there is little solid communication on where such is leading org. Really doesn't know what it wants to be.
    "Tinkering towards utopia." -- unfortunately, founders/org is prone to chase the "shiny object" projects, and lacks the good commercial sense to drive org towards being fully aligned so can close deals and make $$$.
    Lots of smart people, who accustomed to having their opinions heard, and makes it tough -- some/most times -- to get deals done.
    Too bureaucratic and political for such a small org.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet senior leaders with deep patent licensing experience who are strong leaders, and can stand up to founders so to keep org on steady, unwavering mission towards commercial success. Patent licensing ain't rocket science, so don't try to over think it, just do it. . . . that is if you really want to make money, which may not be the #1 priority of this entity.

Worked for Intellectual Ventures? Contribute to the Community!

Intellectual Ventures Videos

Intellectual Ventures – Why Work for Us?

We believe that ideas are valuable. We’re here to ensure a market for invention continues to thrive. IV isn’t shy about taking risks; we’re innovators. We’ve built the invention capital market from scratch and we… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Intellectual Ventures reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Intellectual Ventures CEO Nathan Myhrvold. All 51 reviews posted anonymously by Intellectual Ventures employees.