Intellectual Ventures

www.intellectualventures.com

Intellectual Ventures Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Nathan Myhrvold

Pros
  • Unique Business model with cutting edge invention all things innovation and Patent venture capital(in 8 reviews)

• Work life balance is 100% better than previous companies I have worked for in the same role(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • the business model has lots of controversy(in 5 reviews)

• Lots of smart people, who accustomed to having their opinions heard, and makes it tough -- some/most times -- to get deals done(in 3 reviews)

Tough But Rewarding

Director (Current Employee) Bellevue, WA

ProsAmazing opportunities to learn the business of IP Licensing. Enough so to counter the Cons. Great comp.

ConsThey have had a real brain drain in recent years. Also, if you have workaholic tendencies, you'll need to manage yourself carefully. They grade performance on a curve, which in my judgement is counterproductive. Extremely political.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou'll need to bring your own values. It not generally clear what the values are of those above you. If you're not political by nature, you may find it extremely challenging.

High Impact/High Expectations

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Bellevue, WA

ProsOver my four years at IV I've had the opportunity to play in multiple spaces and take on new roles/ responsibilities. I'm challenged to think about things differently and deliver solutions that meet the needs of our employees, customers and investors.

IV is definitely a place for self-motivated individuals who want to have a lasting impact. People that are intellectually curious, driven and courageous can be incredibly successful and re-write their career here at IV.

ConsLimited internal communication about IV's evolving business strategy etc.

The building I sit in happens to be mostly offices (which can be considered a perk for some) but does not have any collaborative spaces. It would be great if our space matched the culture of innovation we foster.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore face-time with Founders and our Leadership Team about our evolving business strategy.

Good place to work

Software Management (Current Employee) Bellevue, WA

Proswork / life balance
    extreme flexible time as there is unlimited vacation, work at home, etc. Just need to meet goals
    innovative place with lots of very intelligent employees

Consstrategic direction lacking
    hesitancy to not focus on future including career opportunities to retain key employees

Advice to Senior Managementget focus on longer term strategy

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Leadership destroys value of the company and not Intellectual Property professional.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPay is typically 20% better from industry

ConsLed by non professional management - those below founders.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire the leadership team.

Wasted time & energy on too many projects that went nowhere, and management didn’t seem to care or FU on advice.

Professional Services Flunky (Former Employee) Bellevue, WA

ProsGood pay, interesting projects, illusion of helping to advance tech innovation.

ConsInfighting among top management, particularly between the single-mindedly money-obsessed lawyers and the techno geeks, who want to make big bucks while solving big problems with technology. Middle managers who don’t want to do any managing. Constant disruptive shuffling of staff around (although this may have tapered off at the current HQ). Converting staff jobs into casual contract work. Deceptive business practices. IV presents itself as a tech innovation incubator, but that’s a Potemkin Village façade. The firm makes most of its money from patent licensing fees collected via underhanded, hardball legal tactics. Listen to the NPR series When Patents Attack for details.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer better opportunities for career advancement to smart, capable, hard-working employees who have proven their worth. Hire middle managers who actually want to manage and have some talent for management. Stop pretending your extortion racket is a high-tech incubator. If you're going to be a sharp operator, be honest about it. People will respect you more. Your Terra Power spin-off that’s working on the next generation of nuclear reactor disasters will prove to be a big waste of money. Shut it down immediately and invest in tulip bulbs instead.

Most frustrating job ever

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery smart colleagues, 401K match better than most,

ConsMost decision makers have no relevant background, nor do they make an effort to learn the ropes. No meaningful best practices process nor process refinement in place. Many silos and tyrants entrenched.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to people who are in the trenches and take action on the issues they deal with repeatedly.

The Perfect Internship

OCTO Intern (Former Employee) Bellevue, WA

ProsI worked as an MBA intern with the OCTO group and had a fantastic experience. My work was interesting and challenging, it stretched me to learn a great deal, and it drew on many different parts of my background. I loved the team that I worked on. The people in OCTO make it a great place to work.

ConsThere seemed to be limited strategic direction for the project on which I worked. This changed, I understand, after some changes were made to the folks in leadership.

Excellent place to workplace

Network Engineer (Current Employee) Bellevue, WA

ProsUpward mobility, exciting environment, great team. Everyone is working to change the world together. It has been fun to watch this company grow.

ConsIf you are too specialized, this environment will be challenging. It is a smaller company so many people wear more than one hat.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep improving

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Been here 5 years, growing pains have lead to improvements in leadership

IT Infrastructure (Current Employee) Bellevue, WA

ProsWork life balance, compensation, location, new leadership in the last couple of years, I get to work on a lot of different things, and I feel supported and appreciated by the new IT leadership. Lots of clubs, HR has good employee focused programs, peer lead technical training, and the people support and help each other.

ConsSTG (IT) went through a really difficult period due to poor leadership but that changed at the beginning of 2012. Some people still get stuck in the old defensive mindset and need to be shaken out of apathy. Makes getting things done take longer. Recent layoffs due to growing too quickly.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to turn success into a process and just support what works.

Diverse work experience in IP field

ProsOpportunities in IP work are extensive: patent prosecution, patent licensing, patent mining, patent valuation, reexam defense, patent sales, patent landscaping, patent drafting; great people, great teamwork; very competitive salaries;

ConsCan be disorganized environment; difficult to get decisions from leadership; reward structure encourages putting personal interests ahead of company interests; leadership needs to be more "present"

Worked for Intellectual Ventures? Contribute to the Community!