Intellectual Ventures Reviews

Updated August 26, 2014
Updated August 26, 2014

3.3

Nathan Myhrvold

Pros
  • Unique Business model with cutting edge invention all things innovation and Patent venture capital (in 8 reviews)

• Work life balance is 100% better than previous companies I have worked for in the same role (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • the business model has lots of controversy (in 5 reviews)

• Lots of smart people, who accustomed to having their opinions heard, and makes it tough -- some/most times -- to get deals done (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

The freedom to work with utmost creativity and experimentation.

Current Employee - Business Analyst Intern  in  Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst Intern in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Intellectual Ventures as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Ever-learning
    Big deals to take care of

Cons

Portfolio of technologies to look at

Excellent place to workplace

Current Employee - Network Engineer  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Intellectual Ventures full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Upward mobility, exciting environment, great team. Everyone is working to change the world together. It has been fun to watch this company grow.

Cons

If you are too specialized, this environment will be challenging. It is a smaller company so many people wear more than one hat.

Keep improving

The Perfect Internship

Former Employee - OCTO Intern  in  Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - OCTO Intern in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Intellectual Ventures as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I worked as an MBA intern with the OCTO group and had a fantastic experience. My work was interesting and challenging, it stretched me to learn a great deal, and it drew on many different parts of my background. I loved the team that I worked on. The people in OCTO make it a great place to work.

Cons

There seemed to be limited strategic direction for the project on which I worked. This changed, I understand, after some changes were made to the folks in leadership.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Been here 5 years, growing pains have lead to improvements in leadership

Current Employee - IT Infrastructure  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - IT Infrastructure in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Intellectual Ventures full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work life balance, compensation, location, new leadership in the last couple of years, I get to work on a lot of different things, and I feel supported and appreciated by the new IT leadership. Lots of clubs, HR has good employee focused programs, peer lead technical training, and the people support and help each other.

Cons

STG (IT) went through a really difficult period due to poor leadership but that changed at the beginning of 2012. Some people still get stuck in the old defensive mindset and need to be shaken out of apathy. Makes getting things done take longer. Recent layoffs due to growing too quickly.

Stop trying to turn success into a process and just support what works.

IVI

Former Employee - Litigation Analyst  in  Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Litigation Analyst in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Intellectual Ventures as an intern for more than a year

Pros

Cons

Dynamic and changing work loads

Look at investment in Africa

Challenging, Smart, leading

Current Employee - Director  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Director in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Intellectual Ventures full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Smart people, interesting problems, leading edge company tackling issues in invention and innovation; very entrepreneurial, with support to try new things; above average compensation

Cons

see above - the downside of that is that decision making tends to be distributed, silos are created and exist throughout, people can be arrogant, and there can be a lot of pressure; if this environment is not for you, then you will find it stressful

Decide on a few key principles and stick to those - and communicate
    Decide how decisions will be made and stick to that - and communicate
    Communicate

Growing company

I have been working at Intellectual Ventures

Pros

Most all employees act respectfully
    Employees have potential to make recommendations that can positively impact company processes and performance
    Flexible work schedule (within reason & position dependent)
    Potential to take on tasks outside of official position job duties
    Compensation package is very competitive

Cons

Interdepartmental communication can be lacking
    Not a good place to work for those used to employment at conventional companies in which job-duties are position specific (e.g. "Jack of all trades" will be more successful)
    IT support has recently become more limited
    Seems to be becoming more "top-heavy" with management
    Still very much a start-up culture in the sense that processes and procedures and organizations are constantly in flux

Improve the flow of communication between departments
    Do more 360 performance reviews for everyone (especially mid & upper level management)
    Limit re-orgs
    Establish and implement standard sets of processes and procedures that can be utilized in various organizations/departments but also in which each can supplement with additional info to customize for their group
    Before rolling out new processes or procedures, obtain input and feedback from those who would be most affected by the changes

A great place - growing, but keeping it together.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Intellectual Ventures

Pros

The environment is very team oriented. Everyone is encouraged (and does) share information willingly, and looks to see their peers and leadership succeed. Typically a very positive environment.

Cons

Project preplanning is not always there - new projects come up at the last minute, and are needed right away.

Keep doing what you're doing, and remember the people helping to build the company. Good leadership is crucial, but people to follow the leaders are required. The happier they are, the happier the company is.

Worked for Intellectual Ventures? Contribute to the Community!