Intelligent Software Solutions

Good place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Intelligent Software Solutions full-time

Pros

Great atmosphere and great people to work with.

Cons

Grew to fast, which led to multiple lay offs due to lack of funding for government contracts.

Hire other ethnic groups to have more diversity within the company.

Worked at Intelligent Software Solutions

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Intelligent Software Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere with cross collaboration between sections and disciplines.

Cons

Grew to fast, causing multiple layoffs as funding drew down.

Great experience

I worked at Intelligent Software Solutions

Pros

The varied work schedule, travel, and opportunities to work with people from all over the country and all over the world

Cons

Being in different time zone (Afghanistan to CO) can create a lag time in getting something accomplished

Perfect company with unlimited potential

Current Employee - Field Service Representative/Intelligence Analyst in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Intelligent Software Solutions full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Wonderful company with excellent support.

Cons

I have nothing negative to state.

Former great software company in rough shape

I worked at Intelligent Software Solutions

Pros

The companies offers great benefits and a competitive salary. The people are genuinely nice, dedicated and supportive. Casual work environment--shorts, t-shirts are fine when not meeting with the customer. The company deals with sensitive data and information and at all times that responsibility is taken 100% seriously.

Cons

Where to begin. ISS has been hit hard by the sequester and budget cuts. The company is divided into divisions that operate in almost complete autonomy. Some of these division are run decently while others are run horribly and not surprisingly were most affected by budget issues. Nepotism runs rampant at the company and is the main path to get promoted. The company has had multiple rounds of layoffs and there is no indication those will stop.

Shake-up the company structure and eliminate all the existing divisions. Fire management of the divisions that have been running the company into the ground. Create some path of career advancement that doesn't involve who you are related to, sleeping with, or have beers with on the weekend.

Great company going through some growing pains

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Intelligent Software Solutions full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great place to learn from the top talented people within the company.
    Great opportunity to learn some good practices on software development, source control, and deployment.
    A lot of great engineers and senior management that have been there for many years that are great to work with and still produce quality products.
    In the right group(s) and/or right organization(s) within the company, you will find that it is a great place to work and can really improve your skills. As we all know it is on us to push our learning of new skills and not the responsibility of others.

Cons

Some groups contain better quality engineers and other groups do not.
    The areas where they have less quality engineers, it is more difficult to get quality work out of the entire team.
    Need to continue pushing the quality of work and good work ethics throughout the entire company and improve moral.

Work towards getting back to the original culture of the company. Strive to be more competitive with other companies in the surrounding areas, especially the companies where the some of the top talented people have left for.

Great while it lasted...

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Intelligent Software Solutions full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- Great benefits (Cigna/GW...all paid for 100%), raises, bonuses, and ESOP when the company was doing so well. No other company matches ISS in these areas. Not even close!
    - Great equipment in terms of stand up desks, chairs, laptops, monitors.
    - 160 hours of PTO in years 1-5. Unheard of any where else!
    - Most of the employees are absolutely outstanding at this company. Never had any of my "immediate" peers put a knife in my back. Very loving towards each other. I.T. department is FULL of folks that care for each other.
    - Flexible work schedule.

Cons

- No money for training when I was there the last 3 years
    - Layoffs, layoffs, layoffs, layoffs. Yup...four layoffs in the last 2 years. Really starts wearing on your nerves.
    - For me I had 10 office/cube moves, 8 bosses, 3 job title changes (2 kind of forced my way) in just 8 years of employment at ISS. Between this and the layoffs, way to much "change" for me.

- I really don't know what to tell management. I know some of them are working their tails off trying to get the company out of the "hole" its currently in. They treated me well through out the years. I just wish them the best, hoping and praying that ISS will once again become the great company they used to be.

Unimpressive product, Poor management, a few (shrinking pool) good tech people

Current Employee - Software Engineer V in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Software Engineer V in Washington, DC

Pros

Great company in the early days. Failed to keep pace with technology and defense industry changes. C2 part of the business has good executive leadership.

Cons

Low quality product management. Senior management of Army business is inept. Antiquated Java shop with hordes of low quality legacy code. Frequent layoffs - they come at six month intervals since management can't seem to forecast their business. New developers are forced to use the "company standard" technology stack which, unfortunately, is endorsed by the primary agency, AFRL, that this firm does business with. Date technology stack makes it virtually impossible to grow in a defense environment that has become more agile.

Ditch most of your old technology - let teams choose what is best for the job.

Great Place

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Intelligent Software Solutions full-time

Pros

- Great Place
    - Flexible Schedules
    - Good work environment

Cons

- Had a few lay offs due to sequestration
    - Some divisions bring the whole company down

Communicate more to employees

Good place to work.

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at Intelligent Software Solutions full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay is pretty good, but they have great benefits. Opportunity to work work world-wide. Challenging work. Friendly work environment. Flexible work schedule.

Cons

Grew to fast - leading to lay offs. Mostly government contract work = unstable job security. not the company's fault, just a fact. Politics and "good old boy" system define higher than mid-level management.

Need to expand your market from government only work to include work for state and commercial clients to ensure a longer life cycle for products developed AND maintained to help with employee retention and avoid lay-off due to NOT getting anticipated contracts.

Intelligent Software Solutions Photos