Intelligentsia Coffee & Tea

3.8
Doug Zell

1. Great place to work

I worked at Intelligentsia Coffee & Tea

Pros

Perks of free coffee and tea, super interesting people to work with

Cons

Segmented work, don't necessarily interact much with others

2. Great base and initial idea, terrible favoritism and cliquish atmosphere

Current Employee - Bar Back/Barista in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Bar Back/Barista in New York, NY

I have been working at Intelligentsia Coffee & Tea full-time

Pros

Great training program, great brand, free drinks, superficially at least there are a good deal of opportunities to grow with the company as it is growing, the CEO is nice and you actually get to meet her and talk to her, health insurance is great.

Cons

Very cliquish culture full of very odd people for the most part (a few are very wonderful on the plus side), lack of professionalism amongst workers (I feel as if I am working with kids), hard work is most certainly not rewarded, hours worked change often (although I am guessing this is expected in any food service job), pay is mediocre (not bad at all, but not stellar for New York City) but tips make up for some of it.

Advice to Management

The top down approach to things fails corporations and you guys are no exception. Listen to your workers and please, reward those who actually go out of their way to do a quality job without being told, not those that simply do things as quickly as possible and sacrifice quality. And please stop it with the fake progressive culture, this place is run very much like your average everyday corporation and that must stop if you are to make a name for yourself amongst workers and customers alike.

Great place to work but hard to work here and be a graduate student.

Current Employee - Barista in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Barista in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Intelligentsia Coffee & Tea part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company treats you well - good pay, perks, and training. Leadership really loves the product they're selling, and this translates to the employees and creates a culture of quality and a sincere desire to serve something beautiful.

Cons

It was a hard job to hold while being a graduate student because the company expects a lot out of their employees. There was a minimum of two hours of training a week and an expectation of continued growth and learning about coffee.

5. Great local roaster to work for!

Current Employee - Barista in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Intelligentsia Coffee & Tea part-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company values and breeds staff awareness & education about the brand & coffees and teas. Our store frequently had demonstrations to teach both the staff and customers about new brewing techniques. They were one of the first ones to perfect The Clover Brewing Method when it was first released. They were lucky and got some before Starbucks bought the exclusive rights to the machine. Doug, the tea purveyor, even came in and schooled us on all the awesome teas he curated throughout the world. They also train willing staff members for barista competitions and even have in-house contests to keep everyones skills up. If you're interested in the coffee business, this is a very reputable company to work for. Even as a regular employee, it's fun work.
    As far as benefits, a free lb. of coffee a week was standard. I believe you can pay into a 401k after a certain length of employment.

Cons

Some of my managers put themselves on a pedestal, acting better than everyone else. I remember two of them causing a lot of stress because of personal MOs. One even publicly shamed me for banking with Chase because they're affiliated with JP Morgan, who used to use slave money or something. Very inappropriate. But, they did know their stuff. Great training program, great advancement opportunities.

Advice to Management

It's easy to become lax in a coffee shop setting, but after working with other companies, I can see that there was way too much internal drama that was not being handled by the store manager. I think more check-ins with upper management about store progress could help keep them accountable for their store's successes/failures. It seemed my store manager knew a lot about coffee, but was not fit to manage other people. Store managers need to strike a balance between the two.

6. Good company to work for

Former Employee - Barista/Shift Lead in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Barista/Shift Lead in Chicago, IL

I worked at Intelligentsia Coffee & Tea full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good wage for baristas, they're doing really cool things with farming and sourcing, great way to learn a lot about the industry.

Cons

I had a series of not great managers. They have a really awful "bonus" system in place for managers and the brunt of the responsibility for managers to get their bonus ends up on the shoulders of the hourly employees - who see little benefit from it.

Advice to Management

Change the bonus system.

7. Not bad, but not great either.

I have been working at Intelligentsia Coffee & Tea full-time

Pros

Good health care and free coffee.

Cons

Hours can be erratic and the pay isn't great. Lots of favoritism.

Advice to Management

Don't forget to listen to the little guys.

Intelligentsia has an unhealthy and cliquish company culture and out of touch senior management.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Intelligentsia Coffee & Tea

Pros

You get free whole bean coffee and free beverages at Intelligentsia cafes. There is a decent sense of comradery among much of the staff.

Cons

Most of the valuable hard work, innovation, and talent that happens at the ground level goes unnoticed while a small handful of employees who continually fail to meet their responsibilities get rewarded and promoted time and time again.

Advice to Management

Take a hard look at what employees are just telling you what you want to hear and which employees actually have new ideas and constructive criticism that can help propel the company forward.

9. this is a coffee house

I have been working at Intelligentsia Coffee & Tea

Pros

it is a truly awesome place to work, free drinks

Cons

I don't care much for the uniform

Advice to Management

Management is great

RSS Feed </> Embed