Intelligentsia Coffee & Tea

Updated August 22, 2014
Updated August 22, 2014

3.7

Doug Zell

Great place to work but hard to work here and be a graduate student.

Current Employee - Barista  in  Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Barista in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Intelligentsia Coffee & Tea part-time for more than a year

Pros

The company treats you well - good pay, perks, and training. Leadership really loves the product they're selling, and this translates to the employees and creates a culture of quality and a sincere desire to serve something beautiful.

Cons

It was a hard job to hold while being a graduate student because the company expects a lot out of their employees. There was a minimum of two hours of training a week and an expectation of continued growth and learning about coffee.

Great local roaster to work for!

Current Employee - Barista in Chicago, IL

Pros

This company values and breeds staff awareness & education about the brand & coffees and teas. Our store frequently had demonstrations to teach both the staff and customers about new brewing techniques. They were one of the first ones to perfect The Clover Brewing Method when it was first released. They were lucky and got some before Starbucks bought the exclusive rights to the machine. Doug, the tea purveyor, even came in and schooled us on all the awesome teas he curated throughout the world. They also train willing staff members for barista competitions and even have in-house contests to keep everyones skills up. If you're interested in the coffee business, this is a very reputable company to work for. Even as a regular employee, it's fun work.
    As far as benefits, a free lb. of coffee a week was standard. I believe you can pay into a 401k after a certain length of employment.

Cons

Some of my managers put themselves on a pedestal, acting better than everyone else. I remember two of them causing a lot of stress because of personal MOs. One even publicly shamed me for banking with Chase because they're affiliated with JP Morgan, who used to use slave money or something. Very inappropriate. But, they did know their stuff. Great training program, great advancement opportunities.

It's easy to become lax in a coffee shop setting, but after working with other companies, I can see that there was way too much internal drama that was not being handled by the store manager. I think more check-ins with upper management about store progress could help keep them accountable for their store's successes/failures. It seemed my store manager knew a lot about coffee, but was not fit to manage other people. Store managers need to strike a balance between the two.

Good company to work for

Former Employee - Barista/Shift Lead  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Barista/Shift Lead in Chicago, IL

I worked at Intelligentsia Coffee & Tea full-time for more than a year

Pros

good wage for baristas, they're doing really cool things with farming and sourcing, great way to learn a lot about the industry.

Cons

I had a series of not great managers. They have a really awful "bonus" system in place for managers and the brunt of the responsibility for managers to get their bonus ends up on the shoulders of the hourly employees - who see little benefit from it.

Change the bonus system.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not bad, but not great either.

I have been working at Intelligentsia Coffee & Tea full-time

Pros

Good health care and free coffee.

Cons

Hours can be erratic and the pay isn't great. Lots of favoritism.

Don't forget to listen to the little guys.

Intelligentsia has an unhealthy and cliquish company culture and out of touch senior management.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Intelligentsia Coffee & Tea

Pros

You get free whole bean coffee and free beverages at Intelligentsia cafes. There is a decent sense of comradery among much of the staff.

Cons

Most of the valuable hard work, innovation, and talent that happens at the ground level goes unnoticed while a small handful of employees who continually fail to meet their responsibilities get rewarded and promoted time and time again.

Take a hard look at what employees are just telling you what you want to hear and which employees actually have new ideas and constructive criticism that can help propel the company forward.

this is a coffee house

I have been working at Intelligentsia Coffee & Tea

Pros

it is a truly awesome place to work, free drinks

Cons

I don't care much for the uniform

Management is great

Worked for Intelligentsia Coffee & Tea? Contribute to the Community!