InterContinental Hotels Group

Updated October 19, 2014
3.7

InterContinental Hotels Group CEO Richard Solomons
Richard Solomons

Pros
  • Company really values people of all types and their work life balance (in 27 reviews)

• They have a great working environment, the people are very caring (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • You see some employees in upper management behave inappropriately and unprofessionally (in 12 reviews)

• Low pay hard to deal with management no benifits or health insurance (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

60 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A place where enablement is something all levels of employees can experience.

Current Employee - Corporate Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Corporate Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at InterContinental Hotels Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great work / life balance.

Opportunties to take advantage of doing philanthropy work & it is encouraged.

For a driven individual you can find success in this company.

Cons

Consensus management style; which makes change harder to see happening.

Political matrix is hard to see but definitely exists.

Great industry, name & culture, but unclear path for success

I worked at InterContinental Hotels Group full-time

Pros

What's not to like about hotels and ensuring travelers have a nice stay? IHG is in an industry with generally strong market leadership position; strong emphasis on people first by many corporate managers; in the Atlanta corporate office, regular office "fun" events such as field days and summer Fridays off.

Cons

1. There are also many managers who do not put people first - use your network to discover the people developers (ask questions like, "how many people have you promoted on your team?"). 2. "Second to the US Post Office in tenured employment" is a phrase one friend said right after starting, and it seems to be true for majority of corporate employees. They find a corner in the empire, get comfortable & form fiefdoms. They are not trying to advance and can be roadblocks to success. 3. Advancement is not a clear path; "EEOD" is an Orwellian term.

Remove the duplication & make a KPI for managers to indicate how many people they have promoted out of their team. Also, shake up the HR team and smooth out the application process. The dept is incompetent and full of box checkers.

I've worked at IHG in various roles for over 10 years. The people are what make the company a great place to work.

Current Employee - Hotel Support in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Hotel Support in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at InterContinental Hotels Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people really are the best. They are passionate about the products and for the most part are easy to work with.

Cons

Leadership. Our current leaders need to go. They are managing to Wall Street right now.

Hard worker and seeks learning environment.

Former Employee - Network/Desktop in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Network/Desktop in Atlanta, GA

I worked at InterContinental Hotels Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The staff and the network setup was very complete and functional.

Cons

I am looking for a fulltime permanent position, and they kept me contract.

Great learning experience and company

Current Employee - Marketing Intern in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Marketing Intern in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at InterContinental Hotels Group as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- The definition of hospitality extends beyond the hotels; IHG really does care for their people and people for each other
    - Amazing work-life balance
    - Eager to facilitate growth and learning
    - Working with some of the most reputable brands in the industry
    - Every voice gets heard; some opportunities for addressing issues to the senior leadership team

Cons

- A lot of constant organizational restructuring

- Hire more for talent and less for experience

Engagement Scores shouldn't rule the Company

Current Employee - Management in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Management in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at InterContinental Hotels Group full-time

Pros

Hospitality company - practices "hospitality" feel and people are friendly and events are nice. Depending on the department you work in, the experience can be a fun environment.

Cons

Company more concerned with getting on the fortune list, than actually "fixing" the employee related issues. Attitude is if you don't like it here- go somewhere else. Since everyone is so friendly, the transparency of what is wrong and confronting it, is often missed, because people are to afraid to speak up and are more concerned with "engagement score, being a certain point, rather than actually trying to "address engagement issues. Positions are base more on how people "feel" about you and less on whether you are "qualified".

Actually listen to employees instead of finding ways to "restructure or terminate" employee you feel have issues.

Great.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at InterContinental Hotels Group as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Autonomy with support. Great team dynamic as well as great cross-functional dynamic, support, and camaraderie.

Cons

Sometimes slow to make important decisions at higher levels of management.

Positive people oriented

Former Employee - General Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - General Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at InterContinental Hotels Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Real sense of belonging and inclusion

Cons

Location and traffic and be prepared to be over ruled by the home office in London

Act on what you hear from your employees. Good at listening but falls on deaf ears

The work is rewarding if you can handle the pace. It moves very quickly and there is little time to celebrate successes.

Former Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at InterContinental Hotels Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The leadership is one of the best I've ever worked for. The office culture is one that foster a team spirit that makes you aware that you aren't in it alone. Teamwork is important.

Cons

Having a work/life balance is tough in this environment. There is always a feeling that you must be connected to the office. It is hard to truly get away. The benefits are good but are not impossible to walk away from.

Continue pushing the envelope and innovating. But do so with the employees in mind to ensure they don't get burned out. It's probably not best to have 20+ priorities in a year.

Great Place to work

Current Employee - Field Based Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Field Based Consultant in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Development opportunities, Learning opportunities, Great Company Ambition, Great Employee Feedback

I have enjoyed working for the company and am proud to be a part of the IHG Family. I think that we have a great ambition set out by our CEO that will help to carry us many years into the future. I look forward to working for the company for years to come.

Cons

Work Life Balance, can be the biggest con. We work to be operationally efficient but sometimes to the point of not being able to dedicate as much time as may be needed for each client. This is something that we continue to work on, our field teams are very focused on our franchisees and helping them succeed.

Continue to lead us in a direction that will help to build our company into the future. Help us continue to drive to have that ambition of being #1!!!!

InterContinental Hotels Group Photos