InterContinental Hotels Group

Updated January 27, 2015
3.7

InterContinental Hotels Group CEO Richard Solomons
Richard Solomons

Pros
  • Company really values people of all types and their work life balance (in 27 reviews)

• The working environment is great and the people are fantastic to work with (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • You see some employees in upper management behave inappropriately and unprofessionally (in 13 reviews)

• Work Life Balance, can be the biggest con (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Perform well, and you'll rise through the ranks. It's nothing to do with "who you know".

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at InterContinental Hotels Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Professional and friendly culture, full of passionate people who really care about our guests' experience. IHG has one of the best cultures of any company in the world (not just within the hospitality industry) - as marked by many annual awards, worldwide. They are transparent and engaging as an employer, giving employees "room to be yourself", and make it extremely clear what each individual has to do in order to develop themselves, and potentially rise through the ranks. It is nothing at all to do with who you know, it's all based on your own personal performance, which every employee has the chance to discuss with their leader(s) several times a year. IHG promotes diversity and is proud of its involvement in government, social and community issues impacting our employees and guests, as well as supporting human rights causes and being a great local employer. There are mentoring opportunities available, as well as great training for the current job and beyond.

Cons

Employees who are not putting in 100% in to their own development can get very irritated when they see people being promoted around them. This, in turn, can get irritating to the rest of the team; IHG has a very "kind" approach to its employees which can mean, at times, that poor performance (including people "sulking" when they are not progressed through the ranks) is sometimes not managed as well as it should be as quickly as it should be dealt with.

Crack down on the "sulkers" who are not putting effort into their own development, and let them know it's all in their own hands - that it's not a conspiracy against them. Be tough when you have to; don't let poor performers or serial complainers affect the rest of the happy team.

Team Lead

I have been working at InterContinental Hotels Group

Pros

great environment to work, flexible timing, remote option is available though depends upon the team

Cons

Bit aggressive, changes quite often

IT

I worked at InterContinental Hotels Group

Pros

Company takes care of their employees, making sure there is a work/life balance. Within IT, individuals are kept up to date on decisions which impact employees. Treat contractors with the same respect as FTE's

Cons

Sometimes employees would stay on longer than they should due to management not wanting to handle the situation. Alot of FTE meetings throughout the year which took away from production.

Great company to work for!

Current Employee - General Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - General Manager in Austin, TX

Pros

IHG has afforded me multiple opportunities over the last 20+ years to grow and further my career. I have had the opportunity to work in multiple states in various leadership roles. The company offers great benefits for both the employees and their families. In looking at other hotel companies, our benefits are either equal or better than most.

Cons

As with any large company, sometimes red tape can get in the way and slow down progress.

Keep living the Winning Ways!

Great place to work

I have been working at InterContinental Hotels Group

Pros

Great opportunity for growth, competitive pay, and amazing people.

Cons

None at this time. They are great!

Solid company overall!

I have been working at InterContinental Hotels Group

Pros

I have enjoyed my 3 plus years working with IHG at two different locations. Both hotels always had clear communication from the top and received the funding they needed.

Cons

Benefits were not always consistent, such as the employee rates or friends and families rates.

Great place for advancement

Former Employee - Revenue Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Revenue Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at InterContinental Hotels Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great leadership, training, and focus on life balance. I gave them 19 years and they gave me a great career. Unfortunately this came to an end when our property was downgraded to a Wyndham hotel. I miss the down-to-earth, yet competitive style demonstrated from top leadership to the support staff. My training was so complete I am now steering an independent hotel into the great sunset of success!

Cons

Challenges were mainly cascaded down through ownership's reluctance to upgrade the property.

Keep up the good work and great culture. Congratulations on the Kimpton hotel acquisition.

Good Company/Great Hotels

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at InterContinental Hotels Group

Pros

Good benefits and great people

Cons

Salaries are not comparable with other companies. So many tenured staff that it is difficult to advance.

Great company....once you're in

I have been working at InterContinental Hotels Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Hires a lot from within
    - Great developmental opportunities
    - Great corporate culture
    - Great benefits

Cons

- You need to know the right people to move into the hire ranks

Loved the management, many new experiences each day.

Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in Morton, IL
    Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in Morton, IL

I have been working at InterContinental Hotels Group part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very interesting clientele, fun atmosphere, very steady business wise.

Cons

No meal/break times for front desk. Had to take "working breaks/meals" especially on 2nd shift when I was the only person in the hotel.

InterContinental Hotels Group Photos