InterContinental Hotels Group

Updated October 23, 2014
3.7

InterContinental Hotels Group CEO Richard Solomons
Richard Solomons

Pros
  • Company really values people of all types and their work life balance (in 27 reviews)

• They have a great working environment, the people are very caring (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • You see some employees in upper management behave inappropriately and unprofessionally (in 12 reviews)

• Low pay hard to deal with management no benifits or health insurance (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Lots of opportunities

Former Employee - Anonymous in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Cleveland, OH

I worked at InterContinental Hotels Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Advancement opportunity, good employee benefits, competitive pay

Cons

Demands a lot of employees,

A place where enablement is something all levels of employees can experience.

Current Employee - Corporate Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Corporate Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at InterContinental Hotels Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great work / life balance.

Opportunties to take advantage of doing philanthropy work & it is encouraged.

For a driven individual you can find success in this company.

Cons

Consensus management style; which makes change harder to see happening.

Political matrix is hard to see but definitely exists.

Fantastic Company to work for

I have been working at InterContinental Hotels Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great culture, good benefits & pay, great recognition prorgram. Great manager and director of my department that truly cares about their employees. Love the ability to further development myself both personally and professionally.

Cons

Upper level management seems to change often leading to shifts in work responsibilities. In three years, have had my portfolio shift 3 times.

Great Benefits, Management staff overwhelmed and can be neglectful

Former Employee - Server in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Server in Chicago, IL

I worked at InterContinental Hotels Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits are great. Matching 401K - 100% of up to 4% of your paycheck. Health benefits, life insurance and hotel discounts when traveling. The money is fantastic. Long shifts, but worth it financially. If you can put your head down, work hard and stay out of the drama, you will be rewarded. Room for growth.

Cons

Terrible director of HR. Needs a crash course in common courtesy and a lesson on how to speak respectfully to co-workers. I believe they have since replaced the HR director. I can only hope the new director is professional and does not try to make the rest of the staff feel intimidated and offers an open door policy with an open mind.

Management a bit neglectful but I can only blame that on the amount of endless tasks that are placed on their desks.

"Big brother" budgets really affect the functionality of the restaurants and can make for a stressful work environment. ie, If a case of beer glasses break, hotel budget does not allow you to order new glasses until the next month so you are left scrambling to find substitutes from other departments.

Don't take on more than you can handle, time management is key and if you are stressed and pressured from too much to take on, it shows and reflects on your staff.

Great industry, name & culture, but unclear path for success

Former Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at InterContinental Hotels Group full-time

Pros

What's not to like about hotels and ensuring travelers have a nice stay? IHG is in an industry with generally strong market leadership position; strong emphasis on people first by many corporate managers; in the Atlanta corporate office, regular office "fun" events such as field days and summer Fridays off.

Cons

1. There are also many managers who do not put people first - use your network to discover the people developers (ask questions like, "how many people have you promoted on your team?"). 2. "Second to the US Post Office in tenured employment" is a phrase one friend said right after starting, and it seems to be true for majority of corporate employees. They find a corner in the empire, get comfortable & form fiefdoms. They are not trying to advance and can be roadblocks to success. 3. Advancement is not a clear path; "EEOD" is an Orwellian term.

Remove the duplication & make a KPI for managers to indicate how many people they have promoted out of their team. Also, shake up the HR team and smooth out the application process. The dept is incompetent and full of box checkers.

Great people, opportunity to advance

I worked at InterContinental Hotels Group part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great opportunities to move up; excellent work environment. Everyone works together to achieve customer satisfaction. There is always someone willing to help problem solve and answer questions. Thorough orientation.

Cons

Sometimes felt like management was absent or unwilling to work with employees requesting additional hours. Did not always relate to employees well.

I've worked at IHG in various roles for over 10 years. The people are what make the company a great place to work.

Current Employee - Hotel Support in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Hotel Support in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at InterContinental Hotels Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people really are the best. They are passionate about the products and for the most part are easy to work with.

Cons

Leadership. Our current leaders need to go. They are managing to Wall Street right now.

Great Experience

Former Employee - Bartender in Carolina, PR
    Former Employee - Bartender in Carolina, PR

I worked at InterContinental Hotels Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great training and benefits, positive coaching.

Cons

Competitive positions, high turnover rate.

Hard worker and seeks learning environment.

Former Employee - Network/Desktop in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Network/Desktop in Atlanta, GA

I worked at InterContinental Hotels Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The staff and the network setup was very complete and functional.

Cons

I am looking for a fulltime permanent position, and they kept me contract.

good place to work very friendly

Current Employee - Java Developer in Dunwoody, GA
    Current Employee - Java Developer in Dunwoody, GA

I have been working at InterContinental Hotels Group as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

easy to learn, lots of new technologies used

Cons

not many activities between teams

increase work life balance by organizing activities between members of teams

InterContinental Hotels Group Photos