InterContinental Hotels Group Reviews

Updated March 29, 2015
529 reviews filtered by

Perform well, and you'll rise through the ranks. It's nothing to do with "who you know".

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at InterContinental Hotels Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Professional and friendly culture, full of passionate people who really care about our guests' experience. IHG has one of the best cultures of any company in the world (not just within the hospitality industry) - as marked by many annual awards, worldwide. They are transparent and engaging as an employer, giving employees "room to be yourself", and make it extremely clear what each individual has to do in order to develop themselves, and potentially rise through the ranks. It is nothing at all to do with who you know, it's all based on your own personal performance, which every employee has the chance to discuss with their leader(s) several times a year. IHG promotes diversity and is proud of its involvement in government, social and community issues impacting our employees and guests, as well as supporting human rights causes and being a great local employer. There are mentoring opportunities available, as well as great training for the current job and beyond.

Cons

Employees who are not putting in 100% in to their own development can get very irritated when they see people being promoted around them. This, in turn, can get irritating to the rest of the team; IHG has a very "kind" approach to its employees which can mean, at times, that poor performance (including people "sulking" when they are not progressed through the ranks) is sometimes not managed as well as it should be as quickly as it should be dealt with.

Crack down on the "sulkers" who are not putting effort into their own development, and let them know it's all in their own hands - that it's not a conspiracy against them. Be tough when you have to; don't let poor performers or serial complainers affect the rest of the happy team.

2. Solid company overall!

I have been working at InterContinental Hotels Group

Pros

I have enjoyed my 3 plus years working with IHG at two different locations. Both hotels always had clear communication from the top and received the funding they needed.

Cons

Benefits were not always consistent, such as the employee rates or friends and families rates.

3. Great place for advancement

Former Employee - Revenue Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Revenue Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at InterContinental Hotels Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great leadership, training, and focus on life balance. I gave them 19 years and they gave me a great career. Unfortunately this came to an end when our property was downgraded to a Wyndham hotel. I miss the down-to-earth, yet competitive style demonstrated from top leadership to the support staff. My training was so complete I am now steering an independent hotel into the great sunset of success!

Cons

Challenges were mainly cascaded down through ownership's reluctance to upgrade the property.

Keep up the good work and great culture. Congratulations on the Kimpton hotel acquisition.

5. Good Company/Great Hotels

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at InterContinental Hotels Group

Pros

Good benefits and great people

Cons

Salaries are not comparable with other companies. So many tenured staff that it is difficult to advance.

6. Great benfits and 100% matched 401K UP TO 6% IHG has one of the best out there w 401K plans in the hospitality Industry

Former Employee - Sales Manager, Catering Manager, Reservations in San Antonio, TX

I worked at InterContinental Hotels Group

Pros

San Antonio on the famous Riverwalk , all is good until Corp decides to change the leadership & rules change no matter how many years you gave them job is now in jeapordy , all is good until Corp decides to change the leadership & rules change no matter how many years you gave them job is now in jeapordy , cover your bases.

Cons

All is good until Corp decides to change the leadership & rules change no matter how many years you gave them job is now in jeapordy , paid time off hard to take what you have earned in a year if you have allot of time vested you earn 6 weeks paid time off plus your personal of 7 days-due to hotel being a destination property it is in high demand through out most of the year- job security is always good, so i didnt mind knowing i had a job to be able to work everyday- i loved and enjoyed working at this particular location very much.

Remember most of us are the indians and its the chiefs in charge from General Manager it trickles down to the each Dept Manager when a hotel is not looking up to par and your survvey scores are bad usally due to whome ever is in charge of that dept and overall Hotel , this continues then it is usally the head honcho whom does nothing about it so things remain as is until Corp steps in and makes the changes for you- it is not fair to the staff you let go due to your managers not stepping up and making sure things change and GM still not making change until you step in and take over and decide to change everything we knew for years and not given amble time to grow and learn the new GM's way of handling his hotel and they should not be allowed to just go after you cause they didnt think you would bend for them- YOU LOSE GREAT EMPLOYESS AND YET YOU STILL CONTINUE TO HAVE THE SAME RESULTS BEOFORE YOU STEPPED IN AND TOTALLY DESTROYED LIVES AND LIVELY HOOD WITH NO COMPENSATION TO HELP THEM MAKE IT WITH FINANCES UNTIL REEMPLOYED AFTER YEARS OF SERVICE

7. It was fair

Current Employee - Lifeguard Supervisor in Brookline, MA
    Current Employee - Lifeguard Supervisor in Brookline, MA

I have been working at InterContinental Hotels Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, nice and friendly coworkers

Cons

Low pay and bad communication with upper management

Pay more attention to the small guys

8. Loved the management, many new experiences each day.

Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in Morton, IL
    Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in Morton, IL

I have been working at InterContinental Hotels Group part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very interesting clientele, fun atmosphere, very steady business wise.

Cons

No meal/break times for front desk. Had to take "working breaks/meals" especially on 2nd shift when I was the only person in the hotel.

9. Great company....once you're in

Pros

- Hires a lot from within
    - Great developmental opportunities
    - Great corporate culture
    - Great benefits

Cons

- You need to know the right people to move into the hire ranks

10. Good Atmosphere

Former Employee - Front Desk Representative in Peoria, IL
    Former Employee - Front Desk Representative in Peoria, IL

I worked at InterContinental Hotels Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I find they inspire loyalty by keeping employees long term. This is accomplished through flexibility with schedules and helping you keep your family a priority.

Cons

The benefits and pay are dependent on franchise owner. No standards. No benefits even for full time at some hotels.

Brand needs to make social media a priority . You need an online presence. More twitter and facebook recognition would benefit IHG Hotels. This should be part of franchising requirements as well.

11. Overall a great company to work for...

Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

Pros

There are plenty of opportunities for advancement. They are very open to allowing employees to move between roles and offer many temporary assignments.

Cons

Senior leadership isn't always aligned which can present conflicting direction. Project teams tend to take projects to about 80% completion then they move on to the next priority.

Aligning the focus between departments and getting all teams pointed in the same direction would streamline things.

InterContinental Hotels Group Photos