InterDigital

InterDigital President, CEO, and Director William J. Merritt
William J. Merritt

Fantastic place to work

I have been working at InterDigital full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Family friendly, fantastic people, great opportunity for advancement, interesting work, great benefits and compensation

Cons

Can't think of any downside to working at InterDigtial

InterDigital is a place that can be both a wonderful and frustrating place to work.

Current Employee - Manager Equivalent
    Current Employee - Manager Equivalent

I have been working at InterDigital

Pros

Very intelligent workforce; excellent salaries, benefits, bonuses; many avenues for learning - rotations in departments, training programs, and some really good people who are willing to teach you things and share their ideas. We can challenge ideas freely. While there's always a lot of change going on, it's a great company and our CEO is really approachable and totally gets it. There is a friendly, family-like atmosphere, very casual. It's easy to look forward to going to work.

Cons

We could update some of our internal technologies and maybe run certain areas more efficiently but the company is always looking at ways to improve so I have no complaints!

It seems like the board of directors has always been too conservative to give good advice to a tech company so I would say to try and get more tech savvy and younger members on the board. They should be more willing to take risks on future technologies. We are extremely smart engineers and management has good ideas. I always have gotten the impression that the board blocks a lot of the more risky and interesting ideas.

Good pay for very senior level engineers and managers, poor pay to junior engineers

I have been working at InterDigital

Pros

Good pay for very senior level engineers and managers

Cons

poor pay to junior engineers

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Intelligent, Motivated and Respectful Co-workers

Current Employee - Intern  in  Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Intern in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at InterDigital

Pros

Inter Digital is a small company that focuses on the design of patents for cell phone technology. There are many opportunities to learn from an experienced R&D team. Everyone seems very motivated and there is a very good feeling of respect between employees (corporate politics exist but are kept to a minimum).

Cons

The employees are very skilled technically and tend to keep to themselves. You really need to engage yourself in discussion with other employees more so than at other companies. However if you make the effort, everyone seems very happy to help.

Seek to improve the efficiency of communication. Emphasize small meetings and discussions between a few people over large time-wasters. I spend way to much in "required" meetings. (This may not apply to everyone in the company but many of my co-workers have voiced this same concern).

review

Former Employee - Senior Staff Engineer
    Former Employee - Senior Staff Engineer

I worked at InterDigital

Pros

Most co-workers are great; a few are dead weight.
    Reasonable pay
    Flexible working arrangements (although this is getting more restrictive now)
    First-level management mostly cares about their people (that's changing too)

Cons

Poor work-life balance (company doesn't care if it works you to death)
    Upper management has no regard or respect from employees
    Typical political correctness from HR, but it's all a smoke-screen to hide lack of employee regard
    Poor employee morale due to management practices
    Declining level of benefits, at ever higher prices
    Company is not an innovator; just follows the market and focus is on low price, not quality

Realize that the company's success is due to the hard work and creativity of your employees, NOT your tired and worn-out strategies and me-too policies. If you want the company to turn around, stop focusing solely on costs and start treating your people like the professionals they are; support them and encourage innovation and create an environment where the morale can improve

Small in Montreal, mostly professional in the area more than 5 years.

Former Employee - Intern Engineer  in  Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Intern Engineer in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at InterDigital

Pros

Small, friendly, people know the stuff well

Cons

Not enough brand name power compare to Nokia, Ecricsson.

bring more interns and get them have a full view of the company instead of just the sector they are working on. Too specialized for a student.

Excellent place to work

I worked at InterDigital

Pros

- Stimulating atmosphere for the technically minded (engineers)
     - Get to interact and work with really smart people (company employs several ph.ds)
     - Very diverse employee set
     - Management very open to adopt innovations suggested by engineers

Cons

- Company has only single source of revenue (patent licensing)
        - should diverge into product development too
     - How about cabins for all employees instead of cubicles for just engineers

- Open a company location in San Jose and San Diego, where there are lots of engineers
       (company locations are actually kind of "remote" from engineering talent)

Senior Engineer at InterDigital

Former Employee - Senior Engineer  in  Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at InterDigital

Pros

It is a very challenging environment with a lot of very interesting projects. The technologies you work on are very cutting edge and there is a lot of exposure to patents and standards. You also have many opportunities to contribute to standards and write patents.

Cons

The company is very patent oriented and is still unexperienced with product development. Also, the product requirements vary rapidly and this creates more pressure on the employees.

I would tell them to try to get more feedback from the employees. It seems that they could benefit from receiving comments directly from the people who work on standard/products, rather than receiving them from the (lower) management.

Worked for InterDigital? Contribute to the Community!