InterSystems

www.intersystems.com

InterSystems Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Terry Ragon

InterSystems is a great company to find your career passion

Support Specialist (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsManagement is extremely flexible once you are hired in helping you find your passion. I did not have a Computer Science degree and was lost in the work force before I found InterSystems. They allow you to grow into the employee that you want to be without any pressure.

ConsIt's a smaller company that is growing fast and it seems like every department is understaffed. The CEO is ambitious which is positive, but some of that ambition has caused managerial and staffing issues the past couple years.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more people and advertise the company more. Nobody knows who we are.

a few months in and loving it

Sales (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsIt is a very friendly and laid back workplace. The management is great and very receptive to feedback. Very good work life balance, everyone respects your personal time. The office environment is corporate, but comfortable, and the views of the Charles river and Boston are some of the best views in the city. Benefits package is great, good insurance, PTO, Holidays, etc.

ConsNone so far that I have noticed, perhaps the expensive parking. Although it is right next to the Red Line Kendall stop, so public transportation for commuters is really easy.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing the great things you are doing. And maybe start some extra curricular company activities such as softball teams, social club activities, etc. They might exist, I just haven't heard of any yet, so if they do, promote them more.

Great Company with smart people

ProsThe company really gives you the freedom to succeed. No micromanagement here. Everyone is focused on doing what is best to help our clients succeed.

On the people side I have never worked for a company where ALL the management is so available. It is great to work with a bunch of really smart folks who are willing to listen at all levels. You don't always get what you want in particular, but you really feel part of making the products the best they can be.

Finally, we work hard, but the company really believes in a Work/Life balance. I have had occasion to rely on this and found the support very gratifying.

ConsFormal technical training could be better as can the documentation available. The later is greatly improved in recent years though. There is also that great bunch of people that are always willing to help out and guide you if you need it. However you really need to be a self starter and go looking for your answers no one is going to be holding your hand. This can be viewed as a pro too as no one is constantly looking over your shoulder (A fact I happen to really enjoy).

The organization is pretty flat so if you are looking for position advancement you may be disappointed.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs far as the overall company culture and direction DON'T CHANGE A THING.

Some areas to think about:
    - Hire some true technical writers for the documentation and scrap the current document search engine.
    - Licensing model options need to be expanded or reorganized a little bit.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A sweat Shop would be more fun!

Human Resources (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsThere aren't any. The people who have ALL the power are 5 or 6 executives. You better bow down to them or you are TOAST. They are always right and they dont want to hear otherwise.

ConsWhere to begin:

Must wear a tie. They call that business casual. All the execs wear suits
    Benefits are just okay. They only recently got dental insurance for employees.
    You better not leave before 5 or you WILL BE SPOKEN TO!
    Everyone back stabs each other.
    Most people hate it there but stay due to lack of options.
    HR is of NO help to employees and sides with management 100% of the time.
    When you walk in you are automatically looked at with skepticism. No one really talks to you and they let you sink or swim on your own. No one helps you avoid the political land mines. In fact they enjoy it when you step on one.
    You are never given a second chance. One mistake and YOU ARE GONE

I was there a short time and started looking for a new job after a month there.

Advice to Senior ManagementIts 2014 not 1950. act like a software company not IBM in the 50's. NO TIES and Business Casual is Business CASUAL!

Have a more employee inclusive environment and help new employees become oriented to the company.

Take away the fear factor that exists there. Everyone is afraid. People afraid are giving you 100%

Overall good internship experience

Intern (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsEveryone at the company was super nice, happy to talk with you, and they all seemed to enjoy working for InterSystems. I've seen it mentioned in other reviews, but a good amount of people stay here for years and years- so they must really like it.

Good pay for interns.

Every intern is paired with a mentor who you can go to whenever you need help. This was incredibly helpful!

Towards the end of the internship, you seriously improve your presenting skills.

ConsI ran out of things to do frequently over the summer.

Although nearly everyone is willing to help/friendly, I did have the poor experience of my project being under someone who didn't respond to almost any of my e-mails (they'd go MIA for months) . This led to the aforementioned lack of work. If it wasn't for the communication issues I experienced, I would've definitely given InterSystems 5 stars!

Great company, great culture, great overall experiences

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWorked in the HQ in Cambridge which is a great city if you're young. Company culture is great too, very flat in structure. Everyone is friendly and helpful.

ConsThe skills you acquire are mainly in their proprietary language, which isn't helpful if you're looking to transfer.

A Company that Cares about its Employees

ProsStrong retention rate
    Lifetime InterSystems employees
    Great Benefits Package
    Intelligent people
    Good sense of community
    Good opportunities for mobility in the company
    Great office locations
    Good Management

ConsMore formal environment
    Really have to take the initiative to get things done
    Resistant to Change
    Communication can be lacking

A challenging work environment surrounded by highly intelligent people.

Intern (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsI loved being challenged every day in a collaborative environment. Being surrounded by smart people all the time is a huge plus! This a very flat company - very little middle management. Everyone, and I mean everyone, at the company has an open-door policy. Everyone is very receptive to questions.

ConsIf you don't go above and beyond, people will notice. You are constantly challenged to do everything you can, and you have to be willing to reach out and ask questions when you don't.

Awful place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOther than a good salary - none!

ConsEverything - everybody tows this invisible line and supports the person in charge - but speaks very harshly behind their back - truly a toxic work environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn actuality the person in charge is mean and nasty - such an awful human being. Says one thing and then denies saying it - someone should remove them from the position ... retirement would be a blessing to the hard working people that are there.

Very challenging and rewarding

Product Specialist (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsWorking with some of the smartest and most motivated people on the planet.

ConsHigh pressure, demanding, deep end of the pool

Worked for InterSystems? Contribute to the Community!