InterSystems Reviews

Great bunch of co-workers

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at InterSystems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people here are (for the most part) are a really great bunch. Many of us see each other outside of work and develop deep friendships. The work is quite interesting and the company does not micro-manage its workers. Everyone is expected to take responsibility for getting the job done. The company values its customers and the culture is to do whatever it takes to solve the problem/make the customer successful.

Cons

There is a steep learning curve so new hires take a while to become effective.

interesting company

I worked at InterSystems full-time

Pros

The company pays well, good benefits, numerous holidays off, lots of employee perks, good management in some departments

Cons

rampant nepotism, compensation was not relevant to your work quality, not much room for moving up, overstaffed, poor management quality in some departments, too much focus required on non-work related issues, no consistency throughout company in policies

look into anonymous surveys for employees to take to get a real understanding of if employees are happy at their job. Too many good employees are leaving for the reasons that the company can control

InterSystems strives to provide world class services but also fosters a culture resistant to change.

I have been working at InterSystems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

PTO plan is very generous (23 days of vacation, 12-14 paid holidays), Cambridge office is impressive with gorgeous views and work spaces. Ownership is still intimately involved, and accessible. Very smart employees, in general. Good compensation comparatively.

Cons

As with any privately family held business there can be politics and employees in positions that may have been great at the time, but who are not innovators. There is a general culture of "this is how we do things" that is resistant to even gentle criticism, or new procedures. There's a sense of entitlement prevalent in family and friends of ownership that can at best be annoying, and worst, true leeches of company assets. Don't expect to come in and make huge waves. There's a long and strong contingent of "don't lift the hood" preserve and protect crowd grateful for a high paying job but may not be performing at the highest level typically expected. Definitely a male-dominated company, recognized so by male managers and executives.

Be open to the ideas of your new crop of smart, innovative employees. You hired them, now inspire and let them lead you to improvements.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Company has afforded me the opportunity to hone my skill sets to meet my goals and ambitions.

I have been working at InterSystems full-time

Pros

The company believes that treating people well is more important than making a lot of money. Treating people with respect and supporting their creative endeavors.

Cons

Potentially understaffed to keep pace with growth. Aggressive HR efforts will rectify this situation sooner than later.

Continue to focus on our Partners and all else will follow. Best to do one thing really, really well.

Great technology, great people.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at InterSystems full-time for more than a year

Pros

InterSystems has been a great place to work for the past few years. I've been challenged and have learned a whole lot of technical skills, and I feel like my work matters. InterSystems' core technology doesn't seem to be particularly well-known outside of healthcare, but it's really cool stuff.

The corporate culture seems to vary between departments, but is generally very constructive. Support - a HUGE organization - is very collaborative and friendly to young people. Development shows promising signs of improvement in that sense.

Relative to what I hear from friends working elsewhere, the work-life balance is pretty good; I can typically go home at the end of the day without work to do in the evening or too much unwelcome work baggage on my mind.

Cons

As others have said, we are often short-staffed, at the expense of responsiveness and the happiness of employees. The problem is often not realized, and certainly isn't dealt with quickly. The hiring process is notoriously slow, and I'm sure we miss out on good people because of that. (Although that's really just conjecture.)

I get the impression that some of the nontechnical areas of the company are much more political, but this doesn't impact me (or most people).

Speed up the hiring process; allow people to re-take the tests after a few years.

A generous company full of great people

Current Employee - Technical Writer  in  Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Technical Writer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at InterSystems full-time for less than a year

Pros

Incredible benefits
    Relaxed but professional atmosphere
    Very flexible when it comes to time off (they also start you off with 23 days off per year)
    Above average compensation
    Company insists on a good work/life balance, never having to work more than 40 hours/week
    Friendly, intelligent people

Cons

Work can be a little slow
    Employees are mostly older, although they're making an effort to attract a younger demographic

Nice place to work at, mostly kind and intelligent people.

I have been working at InterSystems full-time

Pros

No micromanagement. Work on your own pace. Pretty open to new ideas. You can do pretty much what you want, specialize in what you like and then expand from there. They try very hard to make you happy about your work environment and your actual work.
    very flat hierarchy.
    above average retention

Cons

Some workflows are basically above reproach and set in stone. You are fighting against windmills trying to change any of that.
    very flat hierarchy.
    above average retention, leading to low to no career/salary progression.
    lower than average pay.
    different departments are viewed differently and differ heavily in salary levels, even for long term employees.

Almost everything is handled very well. Just expand the openness and willingness to discuss approaches to all areas.
    Work on communication between departments.
    Work against this proactively.

Very intelligent people who all contribute in a hands-on way

I have been working at InterSystems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Given a great deal of autonomy and freedom in a profitable company with a good long term outlook. Company is going through a good number of changes which will likely take a few years to settle, but ownership is patient and smart. The company espouses good values, and is very customer-focused. It has a real long term view, and conveys confidence that if you perform, you will have a job for a very long time.

Cons

Somewhat understaffed so always many more things to accomplish than possible in time frames allotted. Creates more pressure than needed, and overall management does not express appreciation for the extra effort needed. A little cold, but this is balanced by autonomy.

Consider more robust staffing of areas of the company where growth is anticipated or needed.

InterSystems Response

Aug 7, 2014Recruiter

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and feedback on the company. We strive to provide our employees a culture of autonomy and shared intelligence with a strong focus on our customers. I ... More

InterSystems is a great company to find your career passion

Current Employee - Support Specialist  in  Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Support Specialist in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at InterSystems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Management is extremely flexible once you are hired in helping you find your passion. I did not have a Computer Science degree and was lost in the work force before I found InterSystems. They allow you to grow into the employee that you want to be without any pressure.

Cons

It's a smaller company that is growing fast and it seems like every department is understaffed. The CEO is ambitious which is positive, but some of that ambition has caused managerial and staffing issues the past couple years.

Hire more people and advertise the company more. Nobody knows who we are.

a few months in and loving it

Current Employee - Sales  in  Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Sales in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at InterSystems full-time for less than a year

Pros

It is a very friendly and laid back workplace. The management is great and very receptive to feedback. Very good work life balance, everyone respects your personal time. The office environment is corporate, but comfortable, and the views of the Charles river and Boston are some of the best views in the city. Benefits package is great, good insurance, PTO, Holidays, etc.

Cons

None so far that I have noticed, perhaps the expensive parking. Although it is right next to the Red Line Kendall stop, so public transportation for commuters is really easy.

Keep doing the great things you are doing. And maybe start some extra curricular company activities such as softball teams, social club activities, etc. They might exist, I just haven't heard of any yet, so if they do, promote them more.

Worked for InterSystems? Contribute to the Community!