Interac - Japan Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.1
CEO

As good as you can expect

I worked at Interac - Japan

Pros

Of course it depends on which school(s) you get assigned to that makes the difference on your experience since it depends on how the school is run, the students, the other teachers, however, the company is easily contactable with any issues you may have and training was sufficient enough for me to handle pretty much anything despite no experience prior.

Cons

I had wished more materials had been provided. I was provided with plenty of things, but I searched for plans and ideas that I felt were better suited to my work and more realistic as well.

Advice to Management

More realistic lesson plans available. I felt that many activities or lesson plan guidelines would not and did not work very well in the classroom. They would take much less time, and the kids were generally uninterested.

2. It's rewarding but can drive you crazy.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tokyo (Japan)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tokyo (Japan)

I worked at Interac - Japan full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working hours are usually only about six hours a day. Depending on your assignment, you may be able to do prep work at the schools you work at. Long holidays allow you to see Japan or neighboring countries. Offer training to help with those struggling with teaching or the cultural differences.

Cons

If you have a large number of schools (I had 12), you won't necessarily get much prep time at your schools, so you may need to do some preparation at home. Often the free periods I had were at the end of the day, meaning I could not prep for the next lesson but had to stay at the school until quitting time (about two hours later). Communication with the schools isn't always perfect either, so be prepared for some surprises.

Recruiter

Former Employee - Recruiter in Tokyo (Japan)
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Tokyo (Japan)

I worked at Interac - Japan

Pros

Colleagues are a good reason to go to work but that is it.

Cons

There are no possibilities for growth whatsoever. Management does not have any tools in place to engage staff and there is a total lack of transparency from management.

Advice to Management

Live up to company's core values would be a beginning.

Choose only as your last resort

Current Employee - Instructor in Tokyo (Japan)
    Current Employee - Instructor in Tokyo (Japan)

I have been working at Interac - Japan

Pros

• Once you're contracted, they'll keep you on until you're a nuisance.
    • Staff can be helpful when absolutely necessary.
    • Teaching can be a great experience.

Cons

• The pay is crap.
    • The company is incompetent at best.
    • Staff will only help when absolutely necessary because they are typically treated similarly to you.
    • If you become any kind of nuisance like, say, you get pregnant/your spouse has issues, get ready to not get re-contracted.
    • They weasel out of paying for proper health insurance by claiming you only work 29.5 hours a week when you're required to be at work for over 40.

Advice to Management

Clean house and figure out what is going on with your incompetent office staff. Give your employees their time back if you aren't going to pay for it.

Cancerlike Company invades Nippon

Current Employee - Office Management in Tokyo (Japan)
    Current Employee - Office Management in Tokyo (Japan)

I have been working at Interac - Japan part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Can't think of any pros - They take (tax) money from the schools and
    exploit newbie foreigners in Japan. ! Very disreputable outfit . BE CAREFUL !

Cons

Where to start ??? part time (29hrs) for full time work. No support . no respect .no help.
    Ths co is interested in ONE THING - making the most money and paying out the LEAST to the
    teachers. In the long run- the Japanese Govnt needs to look into this Co. to protect the
    image of Japan. If one teacher at school " black balls " you ...you are gone or not renewed
    the following year . No explanation ,no recourse. The teachers really need to join the UNION
    or nothing will change. It won't happen soon because there is an inexhaustable supply of new bodies -
    What was that PT Barum quote - There's a SUCKER born every minute ! This CO. is TERRIBLE
    ask the ex employees - if you don't believe me !

Advice to Management

Respect your workers and close down your dishonest SCAM ! Short of that-
    get the teachers to join a union to air grievances against the CO. Don't cloak the CO.
    in the veil of Respectability by connecting your business with the CHURCH of the LDS !
     it is sinful ! You are sons of LUCIFER !

A helping hand to get into Japan to experience and teach English, but a dead-end and nothing really more.

Former Employee - Assistant Language Teacher (ALT) in Tokyo (Japan)
    Former Employee - Assistant Language Teacher (ALT) in Tokyo (Japan)

I worked at Interac - Japan full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They leave you alone for 90% of the contract, you feel like you're your own boss, pay for your transportation costs (surprisingly even in some special circumstances will pay for taxis), help you get settled into the country and your assigned schools, recognition and kind words for good work, opportunities to transfer within the company just about anywhere in Japan

Cons

After a month from being hired, employees are almost completely forgotten about and disregarded (unless they want/need something from you), very little support system, they do not nurture talent or skills (ALTs are considered disposable and easily replaceable), feelings of lack of trust to employees, very little mentoring, no promotion or growth opportunities, unfair and prejudiced semi-annual drug screening tests, no raises regardless or work excellence or time spent with the company, no subsidized housing—which brings me to my next point—they are Cheap.

Interac will take any opportunity to save a dollar, they nickle and dime, make employees think they get paid $2,500 a month (and I heard they are paying a lower salary to new teachers every year). When the reality is four months out of the year they "pro-rate" your salary (because the schools aren't very busy during those times and they don't really need an ALT around to work) and pay you $1,500 instead. Interac is very strange and shady around money, period. They are hands down the cheapest company I have ever worked for.

Advice to Management

Remove pro-rated salaries Completely, hire more staff for specific duties around the office (don't have the MC do scheduler work and don't have the schedule do everything). This will in turn create a better support system for the ALTs. If Interac can learn and improve on being more generous with money/support/skill nurturing, the pros will far out way the imperfections greatly.

Just awful

Former Employee - Assistant Language Teacher in Ibaraki (Japan)
    Former Employee - Assistant Language Teacher in Ibaraki (Japan)

I worked at Interac - Japan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some support (if they have time) getting settled in.
    Continued training in some locations.
    You work about 40 hours a week (you're only paid for 29 of those though).

Cons

Didn't respond at all to repeated reports of students being physically abused.
    Constantly meddle with your daily life.
    Unpaid vacations, so you are unpaid for FOUR MONTHS of the year. They quote a 230,000 yen a month salary, but over the year it works out as 153,333 yen per month. This is the lowest of any teaching job I've ever seen in ver 5 years in Japan.
    Emotionally abused staff at training, made people cry on stage in front of 400+ peers on multiple occasions.
    Low wages, you are paid less with this company than with others that are comparable.
    No health insurance/pension/unemployment insurance.
    Inefficient office staff at the branch offices, got people the wrong visas (so they were working illegally), didn't tell people about taxes, really big mistakes made as a matter of course.
    Humiliating medical checks with little to no privacy.
    Zero respect for their employees.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with less contempt. Or none. Don't employ people you feel you can't trust and have to assume the worst of, instead look at making your recruitment process better. Be supportive and positive and your employees will be co-operative and grow into good teachers. You are operating on a deficit-model of your staff and that is why you have so many problems with them.

Quality varies location to location

I have been working at Interac - Japan full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good for a gap year, yearly contract renewal is almost always granted, good pay, weekends off, summer vacations, fulfilling, regular feedback from supervisors, support from local staff

Cons

limited upward mobility, high turnovers, limited location choices, culture shock. The biggest negative thing I've noticed is inconsistent management across areas. All the pros I listed above may not apply to another branch. I haven't had personal experience with these issues, but acquaintances have had issues with receiving time-sensitive documents or information necessary for the job. Also, like many ALT companies, Japanese experience is not necessary as Interac contracts local interpreters to help with non-work things. However, I found that being able to handle things (like visa renewals and hospital visits) in Japanese allowed much more independence (and privacy) as I didn't have to call HQ to schedule an interpreter.

Decent

Current Employee - Assistant Language Teacher in Hamamatsu (Japan)
    Current Employee - Assistant Language Teacher in Hamamatsu (Japan)

I have been working at Interac - Japan part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The job is very easy and for the most part not a lot is expected of you.

Cons

Because not a lot is expected of you, you may end up being very bored unless you create work for yourself. Management can seem like they have the same personality as car salesmen.

Low pay, no respect, no future.

Former Employee - ALT in Morioka (Japan)
    Former Employee - ALT in Morioka (Japan)

I worked at Interac - Japan part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Live in Japan. My family and I returned to Japan so our kids could be near their parents. Luckily with the family support and second and third jobs in the prefectural capitol we were able to maintain a decent lifestyle but it was not always easy.

Cons

No money to do anything with. Also this is not a full time paid job. You will NOT be compensated during breaks (about 2 months a year). If you want a social life or to return home once a year to visit you need a second and third job, provided you do not live in a rural area where there are none............. There is no future working for Interac, try JET or nothing. If you want to learn Japanese take an intensive Japanese program. Besides most Japanese companies in the States do not require Japanese language ability, unless they are smaller Tier 3 companies who do not hire many westerners. This could be a good job if you only go for one year and take a lot of cash with you. Don't expect too much.

Advice to Management

Better pay, pay during breaks and some actual local support.

RSS Feed </> Embed