Interactive Brokers Reviews

56 reviews filtered by
2.9
Interactive Brokers Chairman, President, and CEO Thomas Peterffy
Thomas Peterffy

Pros
  • Free lunch (if you stay in office and work during your lunch hour) (in 13 reviews)

• Free lunch and free health insurance (you will regret it later) (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The work/life balance is non-existent (in 5 reviews)

• Little to no growth potential for non-programming staff (in 6 reviews)

Great Place to Work for Someone Who Works Hard and Wants to be Challenged

I have been working at Interactive Brokers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

High growth company
    Little politics, advancement based on achievement
    Best of breed broker technology
    Outstanding place to learn and to be challenged

Cons

Interactive Brokers would not be a good place for a person who is most interested in doing the minimum, collecting a salary, and spending the majority of their time engaging in water cooler talk.

2. Challenging and Rewarding - Where Developers Are The MVPs

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Greenwich, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Greenwich, CT

I have been working at Interactive Brokers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- once you proved yourself, you have utmost freedom, only your output matters
    - compensation grows fast after a few years to a _very_ competitive level
    - most importantly, the company is evolving, most of the critics here have been listened to and are already being addressed!
    - hard work is valued
    - IT team is not a service department, but the driver of the company -- developers get the attention they deserve
    - only the most intelligent people (developers) are hired, creating an inspiring environment
    - you can use personal mobile internet anytime (it's up to you if your work suffers)
    - recently raised vacation days

Cons

Culture: introverted people, you have to actively look for opportunities to socialize
    HR team: not helpful and lots of mistakes
    Being among selected smart people lowers your own ego :)

Advice to Management

Revise HR team - otherwise keep on ;)

3. Great Company

I have been working at Interactive Brokers

Pros

No politics, friendly atmosphere, opportunities

Cons

Low salary, small bonuses, hopefully in the future

Advice to Management

Bigger bonuses

5. Good for programmers

I have been working at Interactive Brokers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work with very intelligent people.
    No politics. No red tape.
    Flat Hierarchy .
    Best place to learn the business.
    Everything you do has immediate impact.

Cons

High pressure. Demanding .
    Must be able to hit the ground running.
    Zero upward mobility.

Exciting, Fast Moving, Not for Slowpokes

Current Employee - Legal/Compliance
    Current Employee - Legal/Compliance

I have been working at Interactive Brokers

Pros

Intellectually challenging, Fast paced, Solid comp., Growing, successful business

Cons

Not fot hose who like a lot of structure and handholding and bureaucratic processes

Hope You Like Working Under a Dictatorship

I have been working at Interactive Brokers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Acceptable Pay, Good Benefits, Job Security

Cons

Minimal pay increase at the end of every year, 22 days MAXIMUM vacation and sick time combined even after several years of service, no job growth, no time to yourself during the work day or lunch break, you can never work enough hours to satisfy management requirements, your opinion will never be valued. If you are OK with being micromanaged, being told what to do, how to do it, and to do it immediately on a daily basis while realizing you will never get anywhere in the company then this is the place for you.

Advice to Management

Welcome to Interactive Brokers where if you aren't on top, you mean nothing to no one. Senior management is severely out of touch with today's technological advancements and what customers are looking for from a brokerage company. This company seems to be frozen in the early 90s with little to no improvement in the trading platform, its design, or ease of use. Progressive movement to create original ideas to keep the company in business are consistently shot down. Customer service is also lacking to say the least. Management does not promote from within and hires individuals from outside sources who are not qualified for doing the jobs that are asked of them. Basically, if you know nothing of the position you are applying for, then you are perfect for the job! Culture is cut throat with senior management constantly fighting with each other over who gets to play in the sandbox with the president, with their behavior childish at best. Constant insults and name calling are common place at this establishment at all levels; where sophisticated dialogue utilizing every swear word in the English language are terms used on a daily basis to define a coworker or their performance. President of company also likes to force his political views on his employees to further his own agenda for the Republican party. Most senior management are from foreign countries and do not speak English very well, this makes it very difficult to understand phone calls and emails from them.

Hostile Work Environment

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Greenwich, CT
    Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Greenwich, CT

I worked at Interactive Brokers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I joined for location and the salary. I thought is was a great lateral move at the time.

Cons

Manager was an ignorant jerk who knew less than I did. It is unclear how he kept his job. He seemed particularly offended because I went to a great university and had academic credentials in addition to time in the trenches.

Advice to Management

I wish I had filed a law suit. I now regret taking the high road.

9. True meritocracy

Current Employee - UI Developer in Greenwich, CT
    Current Employee - UI Developer in Greenwich, CT

I have been working at Interactive Brokers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Interactive Brokers dispenses with office politics and maneuvering, and presents the opportunity to work for a true meritocracy. If you are a senior developer ready to bring coding expertise and elbow-grease to the table, this is the place for you.

Cons

It would be great if there was a greater variety of free drink choices for people who don't drink coffee - do there really need to be 12 different blends of coffee?

A Meritocracy for Programmers

Current Employee - Programmer/Business Analyst in Greenwich, CT
    Current Employee - Programmer/Business Analyst in Greenwich, CT

I have been working at Interactive Brokers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been at "IB" for roughly two years after a rather tortuous journey at several large banks. There are basically two primary businesses at IB : 1. The market maker (electronic trading) and 2. The automated brokerage. I work for the latter. Probably the greatest feature (as a programmer) working for this company is that management, and management's management, are all programmers. As a result, the intricacies and difficulties of writing good code are understood by higher-ups and rewarded. For example, you will never have to waste your time explaining to a panel of bureaucrats the differences between Java and Excel at IB.
          In terms of "culture", IB is certainly a for-profit business and as a result, management does expect their employees to contribute to the business while at work. It is generally frowned upon to shop for clothes or view Facebook during the day, although I must admit that we do (gasp) discuss non-work related topics along with taking the occasional afternoon stroll down Greenwich Ave. without the least fear of managerial reprisals. At IB, There is not much emphasis on team-building field trips or pinball-matchine break rooms like some companies have, although this is not what I personally look for in an employer, especially not when the economy sours. My impression is that IB's philosophy is to reward their employees with higher salaries and bonuses, rather than the aforementioned corporate perks.
          In contrast to some of the criticisms I have read below about management being intransigent, I have found new business ideas and technology to be readily embraced here... HOWEVER, be ready to make a business case for them. The utter absence of bureaucracy means decisions are made based on risk and potential profit, i.e. rationally.

Cons

There are a multitude of very smart people at this company, with a wide variety of different skills and knowledge. I think that it would be beneficial to have monthly presentations on different aspects of the business or different technologies people are using. Nothing like this is ever discouraged, it's just that no one is particularly proactive about it. We are a bunch of computer nerds so we like this stuff (or at least I do).

Advice to Management

See Cons

customer service representative

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Interactive Brokers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good food, people here are very nice. very stable job, endless work.
    A lot of work is a good thing, then, you won't get fired.

Cons

So tired. Talking with customers all the time is very exhausting.

Advice to Management

it is better to give employees some time to communicate. Working is just too busy all the time. No time to talk with coworkers. Should have some happy hours time.

Interactive Brokers Photos