Interactive Data

Updated November 20, 2014
2.7

Interactive Data President & CEO Stephen C. Daffron
Stephen C. Daffron

Pros
  • People are down to earth in general, good work life balance for a financial firm (in 16 reviews)

• The work environment at Interactive data is pretty laid back (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • No room for growth within the company (in 6 reviews)

• Senior management has not communicated a real direction (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Sales Commissions Analyst for Desktop Solutions division

Current Employee - Sales Commissions Analyst in Hayward, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Commissions Analyst in Hayward, CA

I have been working at Interactive Data full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The Hayward office are team players. Working together to increase business and grew the company into #1 in the market.

Cons

Interactive Data pay scale is on the lower end for California living. Salaries are based in Massachusetts using a chart for average CA residents on what the pay scale should be.

Each group should be working as a team, making for a better outcome in a timely manner.

A great place to work if you're a seasoned professional on the latter stages of your career.

Former Employee - EVS Operations in New York, NY
    Former Employee - EVS Operations in New York, NY

I worked at Interactive Data as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Very calm atmosphere, more of a tech company, good benefits, good people.

Cons

Older Demographic, not great salary for entry level, limited movement

Not as satisfying to work here as it used to be

I have been working at Interactive Data full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The work itself is good, challenging. Some people complain about the salaries being low, but we have an excellent benefits package. Company pays a lot of the insurance premiums, and we have a good vacation package.

Cons

There is no trust any more in management. There have been a lot of middle to lower level positions eliminated, either by not replacing people as they leave, or by sporadically letting people go, one by one. However we have had an influx of more senior level people being brought in. There are few internal promotions. The only careers that will progress are ones that are coming in fresh from the outside.

It is hard to remain loyal to a management that does not appear to be loyal to their staff. You are starting to see key people leaving. Some people's work, or lack of work, is a reason for them to be uneasy about their job security. But we have become an entire company of people wondering if they will have a job tomorrow, or if it is their turn to go. That is a very sad way to build a corporate culture. It is de-motivating to good employees. I have heard more than one of my co-workers say that they just try to keep their heads low and stay quiet. That way as management decides "who to pick off next", they won't be in the line of fire. Like I said, it is just sad.

No room for growth as a young employee

Current Employee - Specialist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at Interactive Data full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Breakfast
    Good people
    Work life balance
    Flexible hours
    Free water bottles

Cons

Management
    No training
    Income below market value
    No cross training opportunity
    Limited learning/growth opportunities
    Thankless job

Promote training
    Promote team building
    Treat your employees in a professional manner

It's a job.

I have been working at Interactive Data full-time

Pros

Good benefits and hard to get fired from.

Cons

Low pay and no real room for advancement.

Unsatisfied workers leads to unmotivated workers

I have been working at Interactive Data full-time (more than an year)

Pros

very relaxed environment, laid back workforce with no real pressure. Oftentimes find myself doing other things because work is fullfilled.

Cons

very disgruntled workers in all business units throughout the company, looking at things from a negative perspective and not motivated to make things better. Current director of MIS is also very negative and would rather start fights with other business unit leaders than move forward.

Get new leadership especially in Sales and Marketing and MIS.

Great experience to work

I worked at Interactive Data

Pros

This company has good staff and working environment.
    "Good company to work for and great people at IDC"

Cons

There was no global support and a little communication with other department
    Compensation is a bit on the low side

RUN! This company is the epitome of disaster!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in White Plains, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in White Plains, NY

I have been working at Interactive Data full-time

Pros

-benefits
    -time off
    -laid back atmosphere
    -work life balance

Cons

Everything else!!! This company is stuck in the stone age. Someone please let them know it's 2014. The technology at this company is the worst I've ever seen, and it seems they see no need to make upgrades. None of their systems talk to each other, so there are more manual processes than than anything else. Things that computers should be doing, people are physically doing so there is inefficiency everywhere and tons of human error. Everyone here is lazy and there is zero accountability. If you don't do your work, no one will notice even if it's escalated to the top. Deadlines, What deadlines? LOL! It can take a year to complete work that probably takes less than 1 month at a normal company, and no one cares. If you expect people to be on time for your meetings, keep waiting. You typically have to sit around for a good 5-10 minutes on a conf call before everyone finally joins. Trust me this is ALL the time. There are no processes or procedures for anything, and it seems no one is looking to change that. Most people have been here for so many years, they don't even realize how much of a disaster the company is, so nothing ever changes and probably ever will. The support teams are terrible. It takes weeks if not more to resolve a client issue, and months to simply build requirements for a development effort that that a toddler could complete during nap time. Upper management is extremely lacking. All they care about is making a sale, but have no resources to support that sale. I'm not sure how this company keeps clients. We are so desperate for revenue that customers are able to walk all over us and by the end of the deal we probably barely make a dime. My advice...If you care about your career and are looking for growth at a company full of intelligent people, stay away. If you just want a job with flexibility to do whatever you want, and you don't care about actually doing the job, then this is the place for you. You can work from home, practically work your own hours etc. just don't actually expect things to get done here.

Get rid of most of your staff. There is more dead weigh here than anything. You need to start fresh. And please stop hiring all these senior managers that can't get anything done.

This is where careers go to die. Underachievers Welcome!

Former Employee - Software Engineer in White Plains, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in White Plains, NY

I worked at Interactive Data full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Come and go as you please. Management doesn't care what you do as long as you get in line.
    If you're a complacent, underachiever, and looking for easy work, this is the job for you.
    Goof off all you like, just meet the minimum standards.
    Gym reimbursement (up to $300 per year)

Cons

Low, low pay. Well below market average.
    No room for advancement.
    Passive aggressive management, will throw you under the bus to cover themselves.
    Large equity owners still laying people off to lower their bottom line.
    Constantly moving top management to "fix" problems. They never do.
    Zero training and personal growth.
    The RTS side of the company is considered to be of lesser value than the PRD side, thus treated poorly by comparison.

Keep laying off good workers and cutting costs, this is how to treat people and run a successful business.

Great company if you are not looking for career growth/advancement and prefer low pay with low bonus.

Current Employee - MBS Evaluator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - MBS Evaluator in New York, NY

I have been working at Interactive Data full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I believe the CEO is trying to make positive changes and I think he will take the company in a good direction. Some departments are very flexible with working hours and the health benefits are excellent. Hopefully, I can update my review of this company next year on a more positive note.

Cons

- Training - Non-existent
    - Leadership - Non-existent; unless you consider buffoonery leadership. No transparency; Executive Management is laughable- How did they make it this far in their career?
    - Perks - Non-existent, no team building and/or after work activities.

- You should evaluate all of your staff, ensuring their pay is comparable to current market.
    - Get rid of the dead weight, invest in the good employees left and hire quality candidates. You should get rid of the heads of some departments who sleep with their staff, this does not send a good message to other employees. Invest in management training for your staff that manages employees. Majority of the managers are unprofessional and need some type of training on how to speak to their staff and/or manage them - some should not be in that position.
    - You should ensure management is letting employees take advantage of training opportunities.
    - So far the breakfast perk is a nice addition, please add more perks to encourage and motivate employees.