Interactive Intelligence Reviews

502 reviews filtered by
4.4
Interactive Intelligence Chairman, President, and CEO Donald E. Brown
Donald E. Brown

Pros
  • Flexible work environment, great is most positions with work-life balance (in 35 reviews)

• Interactive offers an unique work environment that fosters great work-life balance (in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • This poor level of employee recruitment leads to an abysmal work/life balance (in 15 reviews)

• The company is growing and the internal processes are not in line with the size of the company (in 14 reviews)

1. Extremely comfortable

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Amazing work environment, amazing benefits, amazing people. There is very little micro-management, a lot of freedom and empowerment to demonstrate what you can do.

Cons

The promotion process is obscure but definitely happens. Other that that, I can't find any complaints to indicate about working for I3.

Slackers need not apply!

Current Employee - Field Engineer in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Field Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence

Pros

Ever get tired of going into a place and busting your hump, only to have your peers avoid work like THAT was their real job? Well then, my friend, THIS PLACE IS FOR YOU! Those people are flushed out quickly. You must contribute every day. No waiting around for someone to get back from vacation or leave. No politics of "this is the way it's always been done." This is a growing company that grips tight to its small beginnings of "clean as you go." Every decision does NOT require multiple meetings with out-of-touch mid-level managers who haven't contributed anything to the companies bottom line in years. If you want a company that keeps moving onward and upward, and will never stop, try to catch this train before you miss it completely!

Cons

Not one. And I would know. I have worked in just about every industry for every telephony provider out there in every state in the United States. They are old and bloated and stuck in their ways. You can't turn a battleship on a dime. Those companies could learn a thing or two from ININ.

People are people. Regardless of what other reviewers say about ININ, the people here are the same as the people every where you go. What sets us apart is that we won't promote incompetence or allow a jerk to stay. If you are a jerk to work with, no one will work with you, and pretty soon--the cheese stands alone. No matter how smart you are, what good is all that knowledge if no one can work with you? Better to find a lesser knowledgeable person that you don't have to feed human pills every day...

Creative place to work trying to change the world.

Current Employee - Architect
    Current Employee - Architect

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence full-time

Pros

Working with the best and brightest. Freedom and flexibility to create great software where individual expression is valued and working remotely is routine. Great culture, smart people, forward looking solutions.

Cons

Low recognition and rewards for the top performers. There is very little done to retain top talent other than interesting work.

Too many VPs (who isn't a VP?) and some Directors / VPs with poor judgement. Low accountability in general at all levels.

Create incentives and recognize top performers. Revise the software engineering titles to make more sense and be more meaningful to positions / authority.

Great place to work!

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Interactive Intelligence

Pros

Very engaging and challenging environment. Great people all around, highly intelligent co-workers. Always a drive to make you succeed. PLENTY of room for growth and opportunity to expand skill sets.

Cons

I found myself in a position that I would have been stuck in for 18 months before I could potentially transfer to somewhere else in the company. It was an internship. The experience was great, but the work wasn't really aligned with what I went to school for and I wanted to try something more aligned with my degree, which wasn't an option due to graduation and lack of allowing a post-grad to re-intern. I understand this completely, so I left pursue work more aligned with my degree. GREAT PLACE though, just wasn't an option/choice for me in the department I worked.

I will say there was a lot of people breathing down your neck, i.e. your boss, your bosses boss, and his boss may all message you in the same day to get something in particular finished when another already assigned you to do something else. Causes stress to be told to work multiple things at the same time...you're only one person.

Not a lot of advice to give, you guys are doing an amazing job there! I would have loved to find something there more aligned with my degree, it just was not an option was how it was explained to me at the time.

6. Implementation Consultant

Current Employee - Implementation Consultant in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Implementation Consultant in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence

Pros

Freedom to work as a professional

Cons

Training, lack of diversity, inexperienced middle management,compensation

Invest in the development of you best and brightest

7. Mostly great.

Former Employee - Software Engineering
    Former Employee - Software Engineering

I worked at Interactive Intelligence full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very good supportive technical infrastructure (shared libraries, testing, systems admin, IT). Most of the first line managers are pretty good guys.
    Some of the upper manager are really outstanding. No problem with remote working (i.e., from home).
    One of the best HR departments I have seen.
    Pretty good pay for Indiana. Excellent health benefits (for me, at least).

Cons

Can occasionally make unreasonable demands on your time or you schedule. Usually not for too long, but it all depends on the particular swamp you are trying to drain.

New people probably need more user training in the products they are developing, so they better know the impact of what they are doing. It took me almost 2 years to get a 1 week user training class. (Which was excellent when I took it.)

Unsure of Future

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence full-time

Pros

Some good people still around
    Good product reputation

Cons

Company reinventing itself
    Losing previous positive culture

No work/life balance if in IT or Finance

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Interactive Intelligence full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The overall corporate culture is positive. But, this is only existent in the main building where the developers, engineers and HR staff reside.

Cons

If you work in the other building in a backoffice position (especially IT and Finance), you are plagued with a) disingenuous co-workers; b) long-time managers that refuse to let go of their ways and dissuade empowerment and suggestions for improvement; c) a culture that demands 50+ hours/week and, in Finance, requirements to work weekends and holidays continuously. Either stay and get burnt out or get fired if you don't "play ball".

Work to ensure the senior management embraces change, fosters support and growth of new employees and keeps a closer finger on the pulse of the department.

A great company that treats their employees right.

Current Intern - Functionality Testing Engineer, in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Intern - Functionality Testing Engineer, in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Interactive's culture is something that gets hyper pretty frequently. I can honestly say that said hype can definitely be backed up. The people are all smart, nice, and helpful, the atmosphere is reminiscent of a startup, and the management is really pushing the company to new heights.

Cons

The only con I can really find is that the "subject" of the work. Meaning it's not something a lot of people seem to find interesting, that being call center software. But if you find joy in whatever work you're doing, I can't recommend Interactive enough.

11. Great company, but the good old days are just that

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

-Interesting, challenging work
    -Opportunity for advancement
    -Industry leader

Cons

-Sometimes unclear direction from management
    -Staffing/headcount not in alignment with company objectives
    -Below industry average compensation
    -Quality of new hires not what it once was
    -Benefits are not what they once were

-Eliminate positions that are more of a luxury/not core to the business.
    -Eliminate low performers more quickly.
    -Staff up in key delivery positions.
    -Shift focus of goals/bonuses to more personal objectives vs. very large team/departmental/company wide goals.

Interactive Intelligence Photos