Interactive Intelligence

Interactive Intelligence Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Interactive Intelligence Chairman, President, and CEO Donald E. Brown

Donald E. Brown

Pros
  • Nice management that provide a good work/life balance(in 15 reviews)

• Flexible work environment, great is most positions with work-life balance(in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is growing and the internal processes are not in line with the size of the company(in 9 reviews)

• As with any significant growth we have experienced our share of growing pains(in 16 reviews)

Inside Sales

Inside Sales (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsGreat products and solutions in VoIP. We use our own solution so we believe in what were selling and utilize it at all times. Training was provided on an ongoing basis and is important to the company. Great team of people to work with in the field, partners and clients. Interesting and exceptional solutions that were cutting edge and research was always being put into to add or enhance solutions. I liked the flexibility of being able to work from home as needed
    as long as the work was done.

Exceptional benefits and great team environment

ConsSalary should have been much higher not keeping up with technology companies in the area.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood company with excellent solutions and products but needs to raise salaries to keep up with technology companies.

Good company, don't expect to get rich

Devops Engineer (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsFlexible work environment, great is most positions with work-life balance. Fun people. Great company sponsored events, like a pool party. Good health benefits.

ConsYou will be paid better elsewhere. I've heard several managers say something to the effect of "Start-ups have inflated salaries, and we won't pay people those rates." Getting feedback on your work can also be really hard unless you absolutely suck. Career advancement can be incredibly hard to achieve if you do exceptional work that is considered "vital". I've been trying to just shift to a new position for over a year now and still have no hope. Depending upon the part of the business you are in there may be extremely high stress levels.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement really needs to work harder to help people actually advance in their career. If your employee tells you that they don't like what they are doing and indicates what they want to do actually listen and at least give advice to help them out.

Great company experiencing growing pains

Anonymous (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsIf you've heard anything about Interactive Intelligence you probably already know about the on-site café, fitness center, and health clinic.
    The company also puts on lots of fun events annually such as a family picnic, a pool party, and summer Olympics and created a Foundation to support at-risk youth.

ConsThe company has been growing very quickly over the past five years and needs to keep in mind that with all the new hires which are brought in more support staff also needs to be brought in to assist those employees.
    In addition if there were more support staff that would provide the ability for better training programs to be put in place for both new hires and existing employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees who are actually doing the job day in and day out. They often know better what's needed to help take both the company and their positions to the next level. Do your best not to micro manage your employees but try to have a good understanding of what they do so you can make informed decisions.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work, overall.

ProsInteractive provides a good work/life balance. Employees are bright, hard working and the emphasis is on getting things done. Innovation is encouraged.

ConsGoals seem to be changing frequently.

Great company to work for

ProsFlexible hours, good benefits and good people make Interactive Intelligence a great place to work.

ConsThere is sometimes a lack of communication from management on where we're headed but honestly I think this has gotten better recently.

A fantastic organization to work for!

ProsLeadership; company direction; vision; culture; environment.

ConsKeeping up with the growth.

Say "No" to Tax

Tax Analyst (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsThe company culture is awesome. Casual dress code is nice. The CEO is incredible. Decent pay. Good company outings. Onsite café is good and cheap.

ConsThe engineers and developers seem to have it made in the shade. The Finance department is definitely lacking. There have been so many growing pains that they haven't kept up with procedures and things that need to be in place. The tax department is the worst because of the manager. Employees are not working as a team anymore. Everyone is starting to keep to themselves and doing what is right for themselves only.

Advice to Senior ManagementRattle the rage! Hold the right people accountable. Even though the atmosphere is relaxed, keep on people to do the right things.

It's been 7 glorious years, and this company still amazes me

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsOne-of-a-kind leadership sums it up. Our leadership makes bold decisions that can have a short term downside, but always pay off in the long run. They are focused on the long-term health and future of this company.
    Everyone that works here has a passion for what they do. I just witnessed a "Hackathon" where a huge group of developers who had already been putting in long nights and weekends getting ready for a big release, spent 24 hours Thursday and Friday working in teams on new technology projects that interested them. It was company sponsored, and it was a huge success. That passion is contagious.
    Working here is humbling (this is a good thing). No matter how smart you are or how much you contribute to this company, there is always someone else doing more.

ConsThis work environment isn't for everyone. With rapid growth comes more work than most have time for. It's dynamic, fast-paced, and stressful at times. It's certainly rewarding, but still challenging.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing, and never lose sight of what has made this place so special. The bigger we get, the harder it will be to stay on top.

Great Internship

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsI've had a number of Internships (this is my fourth), and this is the best so far. Interactive Intelligence has a great balance of direction/autonomy in the work environment. I don't feel like I'm being micro-managed, but I'm also not bored. Co-workers are smart, understanding, and interested in helping me. Company policy seems to hit a sweet note of being professional and forward-thinking without being stuffy. I also appreciate the casual dress code. (Dress code is like, one line in the employee handbook. That says something.)
    There are also some nice perks and benefits: free gym, free bagels on Friday, cafeteria, re imbursment for wellness activity entrance fees (e.g. 5k).

ConsThe light in my office is too dim (yeah, I had to dig deep for that one).

Small time leaders trying to be "enterprise" level management.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGrowth potential due to unrealistic growth within caas. Unqualified kids promoted due to no other choices.

ConsLeadership in Caas is non-existent.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet new management.

Worked for Interactive Intelligence? Contribute to the Community!