Interactive Intelligence Reviews

442 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
Employment Status

Reset
These reviews contributed towards 2014's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.
4.4
Interactive Intelligence Chairman, President, and CEO Donald E. Brown
Donald E. Brown

Pros
  • This company offers such a great work-life balance (in 35 reviews)

• Great place to work environment wise (in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • This poor level of employee recruitment leads to an abysmal work/life balance (in 15 reviews)

• Company is growing at a fast pace, which of course can cause some growing pains (in 14 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Slackers need not apply!

Current Employee - Field Engineer in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Field Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence

Pros

Ever get tired of going into a place and busting your hump, only to have your peers avoid work like THAT was their real job? Well then, my friend, THIS PLACE IS FOR YOU! Those people are flushed out quickly. You must contribute every day. No waiting around for someone to get back from vacation or leave. No politics of "this is the way it's always been done." This is a growing company that grips tight to its small beginnings of "clean as you go." Every decision does NOT require multiple meetings with out-of-touch mid-level managers who haven't contributed anything to the companies bottom line in years. If you want a company that keeps moving onward and upward, and will never stop, try to catch this train before you miss it completely!

Cons

Not one. And I would know. I have worked in just about every industry for every telephony provider out there in every state in the United States. They are old and bloated and stuck in their ways. You can't turn a battleship on a dime. Those companies could learn a thing or two from ININ.

Advice to Management

People are people. Regardless of what other reviewers say about ININ, the people here are the same as the people every where you go. What sets us apart is that we won't promote incompetence or allow a jerk to stay. If you are a jerk to work with, no one will work with you, and pretty soon--the cheese stands alone. No matter how smart you are, what good is all that knowledge if no one can work with you? Better to find a lesser knowledgeable person that you don't have to feed human pills every day...

2. great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anderson, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anderson, IN

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence (More than 3 years)

Pros

this company looks to the future and is constantly improving all of it's software platforms. They invest heavily in R&D to maintain a competitive edge

Cons

i'm required to enter five words for cons for this questionnaire

Advice to Management

keep looking to the future

Great Company, Uncertain Direction

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Extremely intelligent, hardworking colleagues
    - Everyone willing to help a colleague, be it by answering questions, deep-dives into unfamiliar code or technologies, assisting with troubleshooting roadblocks...no matter whether or not you have an existing relationship, or what they may have on their plate at the moment.
    - Relaxed, laid-back culture and work environment
    - Acknowledgment of family coming first; flexible work hours
    - Working hard to move company toward unfamiliar, but more competitive, product platform and technology stack

Cons

Before a year ago, this would have been a five-star-ish review, but things have changed...and not all for the better.
    - People jumping ship right and left. Some are old-guard, longtime employees who are unwilling to step outside their comfort zones, embrace new technology stacks and product directions, and move with the company...but many are exceptional, hardworking employees who see the problems in management (assignment of mid-level management roles to longtime employees who are not good fits for these newly-created roles, and who bring their we've-done-it-this-way-and-we-crushed-it mentality to product lines they do not understand), implementation of company direction, preferential treatment of those who have been moved to the "pet projects", etc.
    - People " left behind" on older products - not because of being sub-par or their unwillingness to adapt, but for being great at what they do and SMEs - are being overworked and neglected. So many colleagues have been moved to pet projects that staffing is not matched to workloads, and they are burning out. (Objective observation - I am not one of these.)
    - There is very much a brogrammer mentality in circles staffed mostly from Indy. Guys have worked together forever, tend to ignore the advice of more highly-skilled resources who are more familiar with technology stacks, but not part of the club.
    - People staffed on pet projects given state of the art Macs that are much better suited to developing for Cloud. Requests for the same from resources not officially staffed on the same project(s), but targeting the same, are routinely rejected...whether or not they are now using the same dev stack as the "favored ones".
    - Politics are taking over a company that was virtually devoid of such a few short years ago.
    - Adoption of Agile-like practices is having the usual impact. Speed-to-market is being increased, siloed projects of little value have been mostly eliminated...but all at the cost of R&D. New and innovative approaches require investment of time by the best and brightest engineers, but is NEVER accounted for in Chartering. Focus on rapid development with insufficient project resources will always result in the tried-and-true approach being taken as opposed to the best one for the scenario.
    - Projects people have put blood, sweat, and tears into can suddenly be aborted, or choice made not to implement user-facing interfaces for back-end systems that have been months-to-years in the making happens right and left, destroys morale.

I could go on and on. Doesn't mean I love the company any less, but issues are making work much more tedious, stifling creativity, and running off some of our best employees.

Advice to Management

The longer these problems are allowed to fester, and senior/mid management are not checked in their approaches, the more it will destroy this organization.

Development direction being changed at a whim might be good for the company, but destroys development morale; and just because it does, does NOT mean such employees are not dedicated to the company/in-step with company direction!

Don: Whether or not you are aware, just because people are not staffed to PureCloud does not mean they are any less capable of being so. We do have a lot of irons in the fire (perhaps too many), and the abilities and accomplishments of non-PC employees are being ignored on some level. Management is being given rein to inadvertently prevent such team members' work from seeing the light of day, making them feel very insecure about the value they add to the company, and fear for their jobs. People are jumping ship right and left, yet it appears you are making the fatal mistake of assuming this is because they can't cut it, or are no longer a good fit for the company and its current direction...and their replacements (if any) pale in comparison. Address this quickly or your RTP teams will be the only solid ones left.

Do not assume that long-timers are fit managers, or that smooth-talking execs/management are managing the way they make it sound. Don: Either solicit feedback from the boots on the ground about how their groups are being run, and listen to what they say regardless of how management makes it appear; or send "spies" to infiltrate such siloed/non-preferred groups to see what is happening, looking for ways to improve. If you don't, morale will go so far south you'll lose all these people.

Support Engineer

I worked at Interactive Intelligence full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere is relaxed and you have the freedom to advance.
    Growing company and poised for growth.
    I love the location in that you don't have to go out west to work for a top notch tech company.

Cons

The growth can be a negative. I remember the small company feel at first where you knew everyone. Not the case anymore. And as growth continues, they appear to have lost their way with direction of where they want to go.

Advice to Management

Unfortunately, I left due to downsizing while growth is continuing. I put a lot in the company, but ultimately in the end, it wasn't recognized as being valuable as I originally thought.

6. Experience

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence

Pros

Good work life balance. Long term deadlines rather than short term deadlines.

Cons

No No No No No

Not For People Who Want to Make Money

Former Employee - Marketing
    Former Employee - Marketing

I worked at Interactive Intelligence full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The buildings are nice, cafeteria is great and food is cheap. Gym is really nice as well. Wellness center onsite.

Cons

They like to use beer and food to distract you from all the money you aren't making. Unless you are in IT the chances of a good salary are pretty low and it doesn't seem like their decisions since the rebranding are leading them in the right direction. At least not as far as marketing goes with the new CMO who's idea of innovation is completely archaic.

Advice to Management

The "perks" and amenities only work for so long. People need to feel like they are valued and they shouldn't be working at a company like Interactive only to barely be able to provide for their families.

8. Software Engineer

Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Upper Saddle River, NJ
    Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Upper Saddle River, NJ

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence (Less than a year)

Pros

good work environment; high-caliber knowledgeable engineers

Cons

no other cons to speak of

Started Out As Great Company

Former Employee - Marketing in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Marketing in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Interactive Intelligence (More than a year)

Pros

Pay and benefits were good and was given autonomy to do my job.

Cons

Over time the company became too political and more focused on perception rather than measurable results. No work life balance.

Advice to Management

Get back to focusing on creating a positive culture and you'll more quickly meet your goals.

Software Engineer

I worked at Interactive Intelligence

Pros

Good pay, friendly people, perks.

Cons

Layoffs without any notice whatsoever

Talented people who are fun to work with

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people are extremely passionate about what they do. I can only speak for my area and those around me.. the people are fun want to succeed. I enjoy what I do and the empowerment (somewhat) I have to make things happen.

Cons

Lack of communication and action to resolve. Company is growing and we have more young people but continue to hang on to some old school style leadership. Not always a good mix. No problem if you want to voice concern but I haven't seen much action taken to make changes

Advice to Management

not move people into lead roles just because that's the next step in career progression. Actually have the entire team do reviews on their managers consistently and take action if change is needed. Communicate with your teams. Pay attention to what makes your team successful and what keeps them going. Train people in mgmt positions.

RSS Feed </> Embed