Interactive Intelligence

www.inin.com
  www.inin.com

Interactive Intelligence Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2014's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.
1,000 Reviews
4.3
1,000 Reviews

Interactive Intelligence Chairman, President, and CEO Donald E. Brown
Donald E. Brown

Pros
  • Flexible work environment, great is most positions with work-life balance (in 35 reviews)

• Interactive offers an unique work environment that fosters great work-life balance (in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • This poor level of employee recruitment leads to an abysmal work/life balance (in 15 reviews)

• The company is growing and the internal processes are not in line with the size of the company (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Wonderful Place to Work

Current Employee - Marketing in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Marketing in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The organization genuinely cares about the well being of their employees. In some positions you are given the power to have an impact and facilitate positive change. The company promoted health and healthy lifestyles and is constantly striving to improve in this area. ININ is the best place I have ever worked.

Cons

As the company has grown it has grown far more bureaucratic. Many departments have management bottlenecks which slow down reaction times and decisions. We do a very poor job of using our own technology. We have to fill out a Word document to on board new customers, our lead generation team doesn't use Dialer.

Adopt the "startup" principals that got us where we are today.

Unlike any other employer

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence as a contractor

Pros

No dress code, you can be yourself, laid back atmosphere

Cons

Sitting in front of a computer for most of the day

GG

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Casual work environment, very developer-centric, nice offices and technology, innovation is encouraged, benefits are good. Collaborative project management environment helps with innovation (when it works).

Cons

Conflicting goals are common, typical to a growing company. Pay is average or slightly below.

Company is growing rapidly, which means that newer employees (less than 5 years) can feel less involved. Find ways to encourage and develop newer employees.

Not what I expected from a company with a product in the cloud.

Current Employee - Services Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Services Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Casual dress code, a lot of documentation exists for self starters, great product to take to market. Company is making significant changes to be a top cloud leader.

Cons

A lot of primary objectives yet no map/outline of how to achieve those objectives at a departmental level. Political culture exists between departments and even though company's direction is focused on becoming a market leader in the cloud, there is a disconnect on this philosophy internally. Management feels dated at times, not as progressive as one would think a cloud leader should be. Employee development is lacking. Salaries should be more competitive.

Core values can be great for company culture and morale. Invest in employees as a means to retain top talent. Prepare the next round of leaders, those promoted from within, not just based on the job they do well, for their ability to develop and nurture talent that will lead to improved customer satisfaction levels. Work life balance (the work hard, play hard mentality) does not exist in all departments and should be evaluated for the cloud-based teams. Executive leaders should be developing action plans, taking responsibility for decisions, and communicating. There should also be an environment of trust and accountability.

Over-rated

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- If you live in Indiana this is a great place to work at. Hence most of the rave reviews are people from Indiana. You can plow corn or work at Interactive Intelligence.

Cons

- Despite all the self-promoting hype this is a really small company still.
    - Definitely a tier 2 or 3 player still so the customer base is mostly small companies or companies of questionable repute (eg. debt collectors, telemarketing). Interactive sells to companies that Avaya, Cisco and Genesys won't bother with.
    - Not exactly bleeding edge. Call routing is 25+ year old technology.

- Bring in professional management especially in the sales department.

Pretty Good

Current Employee - Project Coordiinator in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Project Coordiinator in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The benefits, the entrepreneurial atmosphere, the work life balance and the people.

Cons

Not a lot of room for growth. Managers don't seem to mentor as much as they could/should. The pay is great when you come in the door but raises and promotions are slim.

Take more time with your employees to help them achieve their goals. They will be more than grateful and will want to work harder because of it.

I am allowed to be myself due to a culture that encourages individuality while working with the brightest minds.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Great Culture to work in, more like family than coworkers.
    - Learn something new everyday
    - Always challenged, never bored

Cons

To me this is my dream job and company. No CONs to report.

Communicate with your team as they aren't mind readers. Let them know how they are doing throughout the year rather than at their yearly review. This allows them to grow and address issues they may not be aware of.

Outstanding place to work, and amazing co-workers

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Strong company, good growth and financials. They are very hands off, so you need self motivation, but it leads to people doing extraordinary things. Even when you are stressed about something work related, there is always something entertaining going on with others around you, and plenty of people to lend a hand. I have never worked for a company with so many helpful employees. The management team is outstanding, and doesn't hide behind their office doors. I have met so many higher ups, and they are incredibly friendly.

Cons

While most of the benefits are above benefits I have seen from other companies at this size, the salary side of things is a but tight and I have seen that lead to us losing some excellent employees. I hope this is seen by management.

The company is growing fast, but please continue to keep an eye on customer experience and employee satisfaction. As I mentioned above, salary seems to be a thing I hear of often, and we have lost a few people with extensive product knowledge that will take years to replace because so many partners are willing to pay a lot more. I am happy with where I am now in salary, but the current standards for raises means you will eventually reach a point where your position carries more responsibility than where you are in salary. But if you were hired into that position from the start, your pay would likely be quite a bit higher.

Can't imagine working anywhere else

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people and the culture make it easy to come to work every day. I love working with intelligent, hard working people who care about the company.

Cons

I don't have anything negative to say about Interactive.

Moving on UP!!

Current Employee - RSM in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - RSM in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company is on great path-

Cons

Need to build out teams with great people as they grow-hire slow and get better people

Keep it up Senior Management