Interactive Intelligence Reviews

Updated April 21, 2015
426 reviews filtered by
These reviews contributed towards 2014's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.
4.4
Interactive Intelligence Chairman, President, and CEO Donald E. Brown
Donald E. Brown

Pros
  • Flexible work environment, great is most positions with work-life balance (in 35 reviews)

• Interactive offers an unique work environment that fosters great work-life balance (in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • This poor level of employee recruitment leads to an abysmal work/life balance (in 15 reviews)

• The company is growing and the internal processes are not in line with the size of the company (in 14 reviews)

1. Excellent culture. Great place to work!

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people and great vision

Cons

None to speak of at this point....

2. Good Company

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence full-time

Pros

Flexible schedule, nice campus, good benefits, relaxed atmosphere

Cons

No clear path for advancement laid out

Advice to Management

Explain the promotion process

3. Extremely comfortable

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing work environment, amazing benefits, amazing people. There is very little micro-management, a lot of freedom and empowerment to demonstrate what you can do.

Cons

The promotion process is obscure but definitely happens. Other that that, I can't find any complaints to indicate about working for I3.

Slackers need not apply!

Current Employee - Field Engineer in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Field Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence

Pros

Ever get tired of going into a place and busting your hump, only to have your peers avoid work like THAT was their real job? Well then, my friend, THIS PLACE IS FOR YOU! Those people are flushed out quickly. You must contribute every day. No waiting around for someone to get back from vacation or leave. No politics of "this is the way it's always been done." This is a growing company that grips tight to its small beginnings of "clean as you go." Every decision does NOT require multiple meetings with out-of-touch mid-level managers who haven't contributed anything to the companies bottom line in years. If you want a company that keeps moving onward and upward, and will never stop, try to catch this train before you miss it completely!

Cons

Not one. And I would know. I have worked in just about every industry for every telephony provider out there in every state in the United States. They are old and bloated and stuck in their ways. You can't turn a battleship on a dime. Those companies could learn a thing or two from ININ.

Advice to Management

People are people. Regardless of what other reviewers say about ININ, the people here are the same as the people every where you go. What sets us apart is that we won't promote incompetence or allow a jerk to stay. If you are a jerk to work with, no one will work with you, and pretty soon--the cheese stands alone. No matter how smart you are, what good is all that knowledge if no one can work with you? Better to find a lesser knowledgeable person that you don't have to feed human pills every day...

Not a good experience

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence

Pros

Good suite of software products from a competitive standpoint

Cons

low salary, benefits not competitive, 401k not competitive

Advice to Management

need to examine how the company is run. Very little accountability of management

Creative place to work trying to change the world.

Current Employee - Architect
    Current Employee - Architect

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence full-time

Pros

Working with the best and brightest. Freedom and flexibility to create great software where individual expression is valued and working remotely is routine. Great culture, smart people, forward looking solutions.

Cons

Low recognition and rewards for the top performers. There is very little done to retain top talent other than interesting work.

Too many VPs (who isn't a VP?) and some Directors / VPs with poor judgement. Low accountability in general at all levels.

Advice to Management

Create incentives and recognize top performers. Revise the software engineering titles to make more sense and be more meaningful to positions / authority.

8. Implementation Consultant

Current Employee - Implementation Consultant in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Implementation Consultant in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence

Pros

Freedom to work as a professional

Cons

Training, lack of diversity, inexperienced middle management,compensation

Advice to Management

Invest in the development of you best and brightest

Great place to work!

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Interactive Intelligence

Pros

Very engaging and challenging environment. Great people all around, highly intelligent co-workers. Always a drive to make you succeed. PLENTY of room for growth and opportunity to expand skill sets.

Cons

I found myself in a position that I would have been stuck in for 18 months before I could potentially transfer to somewhere else in the company. It was an internship. The experience was great, but the work wasn't really aligned with what I went to school for and I wanted to try something more aligned with my degree, which wasn't an option due to graduation and lack of allowing a post-grad to re-intern. I understand this completely, so I left pursue work more aligned with my degree. GREAT PLACE though, just wasn't an option/choice for me in the department I worked.

I will say there was a lot of people breathing down your neck, i.e. your boss, your bosses boss, and his boss may all message you in the same day to get something in particular finished when another already assigned you to do something else. Causes stress to be told to work multiple things at the same time...you're only one person.

Advice to Management

Not a lot of advice to give, you guys are doing an amazing job there! I would have loved to find something there more aligned with my degree, it just was not an option was how it was explained to me at the time.

Unsure of Future

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence full-time

Pros

Some good people still around
    Good product reputation

Cons

Company reinventing itself
    Losing previous positive culture

11. Mostly great.

Former Employee - Software Engineering
    Former Employee - Software Engineering

I worked at Interactive Intelligence full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very good supportive technical infrastructure (shared libraries, testing, systems admin, IT). Most of the first line managers are pretty good guys.
    Some of the upper manager are really outstanding. No problem with remote working (i.e., from home).
    One of the best HR departments I have seen.
    Pretty good pay for Indiana. Excellent health benefits (for me, at least).

Cons

Can occasionally make unreasonable demands on your time or you schedule. Usually not for too long, but it all depends on the particular swamp you are trying to drain.

Advice to Management

New people probably need more user training in the products they are developing, so they better know the impact of what they are doing. It took me almost 2 years to get a 1 week user training class. (Which was excellent when I took it.)

Interactive Intelligence Photos