Interactive Intelligence

Updated January 13, 2015
4.4

Interactive Intelligence Chairman, President, and CEO Donald E. Brown
Donald E. Brown

Pros
  • Flexible work environment, great is most positions with work-life balance (in 35 reviews)

• Interactive offers an unique work environment that fosters great work-life balance (in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • This poor level of employee recruitment leads to an abysmal work/life balance (in 15 reviews)

• The company is growing and the internal processes are not in line with the size of the company (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Visionary CEO - Bright, Passionate Engineers

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Durham, NC

I worked at Interactive Intelligence full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The offices are excellent in both Indy and RTP. It's rare to have your own office in engineering but the CEO believes this is important. Interactive believes in giving employees the equipment they need to be successful and I never experienced anything less.

The chance to work with extremely good people.
    Cutting Edge Technologies.
    The chance to work on a platform that permeate every business / industry around the world.
    The CEO believes in innovation and encourages this.

Cons

The company has been working hard on creating a cloud based, multi-tenant communications platform. This includes new paradigms such as open source software, continuously rolling out software (daily / hourly if needed), and Service Oriented Architecture.

There are core groups of engineers in both RTP and Indy that understand these principals and what it takes to be successful, but there are many who are having trouble making the transition.

When practices are questioned the impetus should be on on those making the transition, who have never implemented SOA / Cloud Platforms but instead it seems to be upon the experienced, who are responsible for justifying basic fundamentals and industry standard practices. This can be counter productive in terms of time, efficiency and deliverables.

Set clear expectations that for those who are working on the cloud platform project that they will need to bring themselves up to speed. Building out a cloud platform is a completely different model.

If someone is not a good fit or is not able to transition a better suited position should be made available. Offer them training. If they still are not able to make the transition remove them from the project, otherwise it's counter productive. and unfair for those who are tasked with the objective.

Great for recent college grads without prior work experience

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence full-time (less than a year)

Pros

+as far as support goes, everyone is out to help you, not hinder you
    +no micromanagement unless you actually screw up, in which case, it's needed to give you feedback
    +management is all promoted from within so they know what you are going through
    +people generally stay for more than a year (especially at HQ) so turnover low
    +HR very helpful

Cons

-opportunities for different career paths (software development, management) differs based on whether you are at HQ or not (kinda obvious I know...HQ=everything, Raleigh=software dev, Irvine=support/PSO, everywhere else = remote support/project manager)
    -ability to affect actual product direction very limited, (but if you wanted that, you'd work at a startup anyways)

please fix cloud support (which you are already trying to do so props on listening)

Nice Change of Pace

Current Employee - Implementation Consultant
    Current Employee - Implementation Consultant

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Never a dull moment. IT can be stressful with tons of deadlines and pressure to get things out the door, but at Interactive Intelligence teams strive to reach these goals as a united front and we are compensated nicely. The culture is different then that of the stuffy corporate world, it provides the ability to relax, unwind, and feel appreciated. The dress code is lax so you are not forced into a suit and tie. Overall I am very impressed by the uniqueness that is provided.

Cons

Currently there is a stream of changes that can cause some people to get a little stressed, but the changes are for the better to allow the company to grow.

Great place to work.

Former Employee - Senior Technical Team Lead in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Team Lead in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Interactive Intelligence full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are so many pros, I don't know where to start. They've got great workout facilities, cafeteria options, and nice bonuses.

Cons

The only con is that my wife got a new position elsewhere, and we had to move. I would've stayed much longer otherwise.

Biggest little tech company in the Midwest

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I worked for my previous employer for 7 years, and was nervous about jumping ship to work for a new organization. In addition to very carefully considering the opportunities for career advancement, work/life balance and the financial stability of Interactive, I also researched (to the point of driving myself crazy) the company culture. I asked very pointed questions about the culture and the people who work here, and heard only positive things. After I accepted the position, I waited for the "honeymoon phase" to end, and for the culture to reveal any ugliness it must be hiding. It has been over a year, and I am still as happy with the culture, the management and the direction the company is headed than I was the day I started. Every promise that was made to me has been kept.

Cons

The rate at which we are growing makes it challenging sometimes to keep up with evolving support requirements to ensure that our internal and external customers have the information they need to use our solutions to their fullest. Any company with rapid growth experiences these sorts of challenges, however, and our management teams plan for and understand it.

We need to protect our culture and values to the extent we can as we continue to grow. That's what people love about this company. Executive Management seems to be very protective of the people here-- if that continues and employees aren't swallowed up by their workloads, this culture will continue to thrive. People want to work hard for a company they love.

Great place to work

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work environment. Great people. Great benefits

Cons

I don't have any cons at this time

Future looks bright!

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Interactive Intelligence combines a West Coast attitude, an East Coast work ethic, and Midwest Values to make a fantastic place to work! The atmosphere is laid back and the work is satisfying! Our future vision is going to make us a major competitor on a global scale for a long time to come!

Cons

We are currently in a transition period that makes day to day work somewhat stressful. Rapid growth also makes it difficult to keep up with staffing. Our particular department has been hindered by a lack of software development support as they have been pulled to develop for our newer innovations. This can occasionally limit our ability to provide speedy support to our customers.

Increased hiring in areas of development and support will ensure that we are able to provide the excellent customer service that Interactive Intelligence is known for!

Not at all bad, but still room for improvement

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very customer-focused
    Potential for truly disruptive technology
    Your co-workers are all brilliant minds
    Challenging and ever-changing workload

Cons

Work-life balance --- there isn't any!
    Atmosphere of defensiveness and finger-pointing, at times
    Inconsistent messaging from management, at times
    Very little training available on required tools and processes

Despite claims to the contrary, "conformity" is more highly valued than "creativity", being "nice" (always say what they want to hear, regardless of whether or not it's true or useful) is the highest value of all. But it masks an atmosphere of CYA; people can and do throw you under the bus to save themselves -- but they do it very "nicely". If we are to create truly disruptive technologies and services, then we must also be willing to use "disruptive" and out-of-the-box minds and thought processes to get there --- and that will mean asking ourselves whether we truly do value creativity or conformity more, and whether we value competition or cooperation more.

If you want to make a difference, this is the place to make it

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good work/life balance, technology supports remote users effectively, going beyond the average is the norm. Company values are great, and the changing needs of the customer are always under consideration when new products are under development. Great team of coworkers and managers. Nearly everyone is dedicated to making the company and the product better. There are a lot of people with long histories with the company, which is unusual in a technology company. CEO knows where he wants us to go.

Cons

Compensation lags a bit. There are some exceptionally skilled people working long hours for an average pay for the position, and going beyond the norm brings thanks, but not much more. Development of so many product lines is thinning out the ranks of subject matter experts as they move to other roles. Rapid expansion in so many areas causes a few headaches. Progress is slow up the company ladder as many new hires are from outside the company, and it's hard to learn if there are better positions available. Training, while available, is hard to get even on our own products.

While our new product is sure to be a huge success, we still need to focus on what we've already sold and what we are selling today. Our long term customers are not ready to toss out what they have, so we need to stay competitive in every product we offer from a features standpoint.

The move to the cloud is creating a cloudy forecast.

Current Employee - Product Management in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Product Management in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great all-around company. Excellent work / life balance. Friendly co-workers. Good corporate culture.

Cons

At a point of technical transition to the cloud. Not sure of overall effect on company's long-term performance. Big gamble, but could be big payoff as well.

We need a clearer vision of the future, not just from Don, but from all mid-level executives as well.

Interactive Intelligence Photos