Interactive One

Add Photos

Alfred C. Liggins III

Overall Great

Online Editor (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat people to work with. Overall great company but they are lacking innovation. Great place for a great start in an interactive career.

ConsLack of room for growth. Overall great company but they are lacking innovation. Great place for a great start in an interactive career. CEO is a snake. Everyone else is great.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

masters of reinventing the wheel - do yourself a favor RUN the other way!

Prosthe people and middle management

ConsUpper management are bafoons and don't know what they heck they are doing. This ship will likely sink in the next 5 years if they don't get rid of upper management. I've never been led by a more incompetent group of people then those in leadership positions.

Advice to Senior Managementdo us all a favor and resign

ioNe

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

Prosthe employees of iOne are well comensated. We have the latest tools an resources..

ConsThe Sr. management team is top-heavy and not very receptive to the suggestions of their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou've got the best team in the business. It would be a good idea, and go miles towards building respect and trust among your employees. That would certainly help to make a leader among your competitive set.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

One of the worst tech companies to work at

Technology (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsI was part of the original crew at Community Connect which was actually a pretty cool place to work at, when i started everything was really solid, there was alot of respect, and compensation was going up, we got bonuses, and there was a prospect of growth. We had pool tables, foosball tables, ping pong, and a very fun but hard-working culture. I felt respect and valued. This was of course only from the end of 2007 - 2009, BEFORE the company got acquired by Radio-One and became Interactive One.

ConsAs soon as the acquisition happened everyone started dropping like flies, we where promised by the president of Radio One that they wouldn't change our culture, but everything changed.... Bonuses where taken away, hours where increased, and workload was increased. The level of respect and value dropped tremendously as another reviewer noted the management is REALLY bad. Expensive thousand dollar decisions where made out of pride versus though out strategy. The IT Staff and most of the Systems staff was SEVERELY under-paid, even after asking repetitively for raises there was no way out other then leaving. This has to be the company that under-pays their technology staff the most. Upper management on the other hand kept getting huge raises and bonuses, specially the folks who where coming over from AOL where getting compensated alot more then the merged employees, and it was impossible to grow as they filled all upper positions. The infrastructure in the systems side and the IT side was horrible, outdated and tedious to maintain. The level of security was also abysmal, they are not serious about their product. If i had to give anyone advice, avoid this company at all costs, its not worth the time and definitively not the money, there are much better companies out there that will compensate you properly. Even if they do pay you what you want the management is still very disorganized and will create chaos. The CEO is also very self-centered and even has a HUGE office for himself to sort of set in his grandeur, zero humility. Also there is little interaction from the CEO to the rest of the company, unlike other companies I've worked at the highest upper management are like the Kings and Queens and everyone else feels like a serf, its a medieval form of management. If you are looking to grow this is the wrong place to go.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe fairer to your employees, pay people MARKET RATE at least, and interact with everyone like humans, you hire us because you need us to use our professionalism, don't treat your employees like indentured servants.

Great place to work

Social Media (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe people are amazing. Everyone works really hard and makes sure they get their job done.

ConsNothing. Honestly, nothing that you won't find at other similar media companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to staff.

Great mission.

Operations (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat mission. Great people who are the best in what they do. Flexible work environment.

ConsNeed to work with other divisions better.

Poorly managed media company

New York (Former Employee) New York, NY

Pros- Work across social media and digital media
    - Opportunity to do a lot

Cons- Senior Management is abysmal. Bad across the board. Make up for incompetence with arrogance.
    - Little care for a greater mission other than hitting targets. Makes work depressing
    - Huge turnover especially for anyone with talent
    - Unhappy employees

Advice to Senior ManagementStop telling employees why they should be happy/enthused. Rather try listening to why they are unhappy and actually address them.

Don't waste your time.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsCelebrities stop by the office from time to time.

Cons- total dysfunction in all areas of the business
    - senior management are all former AOL employees who are trying to run this business using the old AOL Model/structure. It didn't work there, what makes them think it will work here
    - very low pay for everyone aside from Senior Management
    -senior management doesn't understand or know the culture they are servicing
    - poor onboarding of employees
    -very reactive decision making
    -senior management micro-manages everything
    - this organization is nowhere close to playing in the big leagues with its "competitors", interactive one operate as if they've just opened up their doors.
    -the office space is disgusting/dirty and dark. It is not representative of a interactive agency

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn your target audience,
    listen to the people who are actually doing the work
    Stop thinking you know it all - you've clearly shown all of us you have no clue who we are
    start treating your employees with respect
    publish a handbook with policies that make sense for a small company- be flexible and competitive with who you believe our competitors are.
    Try listening to HR; that's the main reason you cant keep this position staffed.

The minor leagues of the digital industry

Business Operations (Former Employee) New York, NY

Pros- The work isn't very challenging
    - PTO and benefits package have improved
    - The ability to sit in on many important meetings
    - Being able to affect black culture
    - D-list celebrities stop by the office for interviews

Cons- Extremely high turnover for everyone except overpaid management
    - Unprofitable business, so no resources for the best equipment or tools
    - No merit increases in years
    - No bonuses, except for the tech areas and people with contracts
    - Company President has no background in running a digital company
    - CEO is absent majority of the time, too busy running the failing radio business
    - The company eliminates employees rather than help them improve

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to run the company like you just read a book on management. Reverse the company structure from the upside-down pyramid to a right-side up pyramid. Meaning less highly titled people at the top and more workers at the bottom, then you will actually be able to get results.

Culture needs a lot of work, Management does not praise company, Good Mission, Talented Co-Workers

Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsIt has a laid back environment that focuses on increasing traffic and progressing
    The Mission to super-serve the African-American community
    Have the opportunity to learn many aspects of the digital landscape

Cons- Management does not praise their team
    - Salaries are in the lower 10% scale of your job title
    - Executive Team have backgrounds in large companies and have no idea how to motivate from a ground level

Advice to Senior ManagementRead the above.
    Address issues head on instead of trying to dance around it
    Listen.

Worked for Interactive One? Contribute to the Community!