Interbrand

Updated December 5, 2014
2.9

Interbrand Global CEO Jez Frampton
Jez Frampton

Pros
  • Smart people and they try to make it a fun place to work at (in 13 reviews)

• You can practise best brand strategy cases (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Absolutely zero respect for work life balance therefore workaholism is encouraged and sadly awarded (in 7 reviews)

• Very long hours, non-existent or very low pay raises and bonuses (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company, great culture, but could have made better management decisions

Former Employee - Editorial in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Editorial in New York, NY

I worked at Interbrand full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Awesome culture. Some great people. A lot of parties and opportunities to socialize and get to know your co-workers, if you're young and that's what you want. Extremely intelligent and interesting people, very creative. Personally, I had a great boss, and heard great things about others in management. Ah - and the CEO - wonderful man! Great leader!

Cons

Not very family-friendly. A lot of reluctance to hire someone full-time. I was freelance, and thought I was working toward a full-time position, but after talking a bit to co-workers I was surprised to find that more than half were permalance. Everyone seemed to be waiting on line to be made permanent. Also, a lot of turnover. People came and went so often in my department that I soon stopped bothering to get to know their names, and then understood why I felt treated the same way when I started there. Sometimes there was a feeling of 'who's running this place anyway?' I came to work one day and everyone in cluster had been laid off that morning. I worked from home for a bit, then called my boss one day only to find that he had quit. I called my contact in HR only to find she too had left. Way too much turnover.

Slow down, invest in the talent you've bothered to bring in and train. Cultivate the talent you already have. Also, could definitely be more family friendly.

Account Leader

Current Employee - Account Leader in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Account Leader in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Interbrand full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Compensation is fair with a good work-life balance

Cons

Agency still working on broadening the overall service offerings

Great way to spend a couple years

Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Interbrand full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great training. Super smart and fun people. Leadership trusts you enough to / doesn't have the bandwidth to micro manage you. Leadership works hard to improve the performance of the business, they are out front carrying the torch.

Cons

Not much internal leadership. A lot of disgruntled junior employees and not much focus on improving their experience as the focus is mostly on generating revenue.

Focus on leadership (hiring leaders, leadership training). Focus on internal outreach of your vision.

Like Lord of the Flies but with girls

I worked at Interbrand

Pros

Makes you really, really appreciate the job you land after surviving this nest of snakes.

Cons

Unchecked egos in gross disproportions to actual abilities. Institutionalized deception about advancement and future opportunity. Pathetic creative. A place where dull brands get duller.

Fire everyone above the senior consultant level -- especially all 1800 "directors" -- and then burn the place down.

No future growth.

Former Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at Interbrand full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Interbrand had a good working environment.

Cons

The owner is not a very easy going woman. She doesn't like giving promotions or compensating for a job well done, the ability for future growth is very low and I didn't see a career for myself.

Poorly managed sweatshop with no plan for the future

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Interbrand full-time

Pros

- Thanks to the extremely rigorous interview process, you will get to work with a handful of intelligent, talented people
    - The organization has a few useful processes and templates you'll learn about, which can be easily applied to other jobs you have in the future

Cons

- Interbrand is an organization that has entirely failed to adapt itself to the challenges of the modern marketing landscape. They are stuck on an out-dated, overpriced and inflexible suite of strategy offerings, and all attempts to reskin those offerings is superficial at best -- no one in control is committed to (or perhaps capable of?) adopting a more progressive agency model
    - In addition to this calcification, the top priority for leadership seems to be maintaining the status quo. All departments show signs of this stultifying mentality, but the Verbal Identity team in particular is commonly known across the organization as a fiefdom. The handful of Verbal managers are entirely interchangeable, as the group rewards complete compliance and rote process adherence over all
    - There have been several rounds of layoffs across the company this year, a result of more and more clients realizing that the services Interbrand offers are under-value and over-priced. Leadership openly admitted they had no idea what to do about this business challenge, and that was a clear enough sign for the more experienced staff (myself included) to begin a mass exodus

The current management has carved out a niche for themselves within Omnicom and is disinclined to take advice -- and given the agency's complete ignorance of social media, they are unlikely to even see this review. But just in case someone does come across it:

Interbrand has a backwards culture that disincentivizes any sort of innovation or progress. It actively rewards those who will spend the most back-to-back 12-hour days churning out endless, meaningless "strategy" decks for clients (this is really just to justify over-billing hours). My advice, if such a thing were even possible, is to remove the impedements to progress -- many of the leadership who cannot understand the disruptive forces at play in the current marketing landscape -- and develop a more flexible, adaptable branding agency for the modern world.

And my advice to those contemplating a job at Interbrand? Don't -- if you can get through the interview process here, it means you can also land a job at a far superior shop.

Interbrand, they used to be really good

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Interbrand full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Amazing clients, nice coworkers, smart teams, interesting projects

Cons

High pressure and low salaries, many lay offs

Lacking Inspirational Leaders

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Interbrand full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working at Interbrand is a great resume builder and will open doors.

Cons

Huge inequities in pay, little opportunity for growth, shared services (HR/Finance) is highly reactive and zero percent proactive, the company lacks autonomy to make decisions due to DDB/Omnicom, the leaders in NY under the CEO (Josh Feldmeth) just aren't inspiring...

Reward the people at lower levels who actually do all the work. Stop focusing all of your resources on tired senior leaders who have been there too long.

Great place to learn with motivated colleagues and interesting projects

I have been working at Interbrand full-time

Pros

Smart motivated colleagues, interesting work, great learning experience

Cons

poor infrastructure, low pay, occaisonal friction between departments

Great culture, great work

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Interbrand full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You will meet your best friend here. You will work very hard; on things you like; on things you hate. The expectations are high, but the environment is great. Very well-rounded client list across every industry. Strong alumni network.

Cons

Long hours, sometimes stretched thin on resources, bad technology. A bit of an identity crisis at times: Are you a creative agency? or a data-driven analytics strategy company? Also, a lot more expensive than other brand strategy consultancies..

Think about how to retain your most junior resources--they leave too quickly.