Intercare Therapy Reviews

1. Rewarding job with varying hours and minimal pay

Current Employee - Behavioral Interventionist in Hayward, CA
    Current Employee - Behavioral Interventionist in Hayward, CA

I have been working at Intercare Therapy

Pros

All the staff is very supportive (when you get the chance to see them). Working with the kids is definitely the strongest benefits with this job since it is rewarding to see them improve over time and every day is different.

Cons

Hours can be all over the place and clients will cancel. It is also a fairly isolating job where you rarely see other coworkers besides your CS (about every other week) and BCBA supervisor (once a month). Also, like most jobs, the pay could be better considering some clients may harm you.

Advice to Management

More communication regarding paths towards advancement and improved compensation (at least with those who have managed to stick around for awhile)

Probably one of the most unethical companies you'll ever work for.

I worked at Intercare Therapy

Pros

- It's really hard to think of any pros for this company. Pro: gaining experience working in the field of autism.

Cons

- This part is easy:
    1. Unsupportive upper management.
    2. The company doesn't care about the clients, they care more about the money.
    3. They make many promises but never follow through.
    4. Unorganized.
    5. Unresponsive.
    6. WORST COMPANY EVER. I know many people oh so many people that are so unhappy at that place. I hope they find a way out like I did.

A steady wave of ups and downs

I have been working at Intercare Therapy full-time

Pros

I have learned a lot working for the company. I've met a lot of great people and learned more about myself and my goals in life. There are a handful of people who really hear you and support you.

Cons

The pay is terrible, the hours are unstable and exhausting. The job can be isolating not just because you typically work in the homes alone, but the higher management only responds half the time to concerns, which means they get addressed even less. They mean well but hold too much too close and everyone suffers.

Advice to Management

Decentralize. Accept that each area is a completely separate system and relinquish some control. Turnover being high in the industry is a poor excuse to neglect those who are actually in the field earning the money you so desperately need. We must have a better support system for all of our employees. The company has so much potential it's wasting.

5. nice company

I have been working at Intercare Therapy

Pros

nice stuff! good management I like it!

Cons

low pay and long drive time

6. Love Intercare Therapy

Current Employee - Behavioral Interventionalist in Hayward, CA
    Current Employee - Behavioral Interventionalist in Hayward, CA

I have been working at Intercare Therapy

Pros

The mission of the company and what they are trying to accomplish is amazing! I love working with my kiddos and I have so much support from the rest of my company.

Cons

-scheduling needs to be a little
    -pay is a little low

7. A company that listens to it's employees

I have been working at Intercare Therapy (More than a year)

Pros

Thoughtful and organized staff. A great company to work for. Concerns within the company are found at every company in this field of work, the only difference is Intercare takes the concerns seriously and does what it can to remedy them. Ongoing trainings that are made a priority which help the professional development of the employees.

Cons

This is not a field that you can just punch the clock and go home. You have to have some level of passion for working with kids and desire to help others, which is not natural for everyone who comes into this field.

Hit or Miss

I have been working at Intercare Therapy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good job to have if you're still in school or live at home

Cons

Low pay, high turnover rate, unstable schedule.
    One week, I was working 32 hours, the next week, I only had 15 hours. Not only is the turnover rate so high, but clients also come without any notice.

Management is too swamp to really care about us therapists. They keep making empty promises. They tell us things to boost our morale, but I haven't seen anything happen. A recent job posting read they give quarterly bonuses, I've been here for over a year, and haven't receive any quarterly bonus (not because of my lack of performance, I'm very good at what I do).

People quit not because they can't handle the field, they quit because they are unhappy with the job life, the management, the unstable hours, the lack of appreciation, and the low pay.

good for the experience, not a permanent job

Current Employee - Behavior Interventionist in West Covina, CA
    Current Employee - Behavior Interventionist in West Covina, CA

I have been working at Intercare Therapy part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-some benefits
    -some of the staff is just awesome!!!
    -staff can be very understanding
    -great experience, every client is different

Cons

-benefits such as bonuses ARE Not guaranteed and they are difficult almost impossible to receive
    -staff can ignore you and pretend everything is ok
    -driving from client to client and having gaps in between is very stressful and not worth it.
    -if you are lucky enough to get a school case that is the best way to go. dealing with in home clients when you have 3 at a time and not enough hours yet are in your car and out and about for what seems like the whole day, is very overwhelming and tiring
    -Low paying job

Advice to Management

The staff should guarantee is more hours, better schedules.
    Better pay is a great incentive. I read in another review and agree with the individual who said that we learn aba and yes, it would work on us. Money is a great incentive and what we do out in the field is not easy at all and our pay check should reflect that.

10. Intense

Current Employee - Behavior Interventionist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Intercare Therapy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company is very professional and up to date I enjoy the ongoing training at Intercare.

Cons

Hours are sometimes not enough and take long to accompany.

Advice to Management

You guys do great.

Doing my fellow brethren a favor..

I have been working at Intercare Therapy part-time

Pros

Great part time job if you need 10-20 hrs a week. The clinical side is pretty good for the most part and very supportive with clients and people in the field. I can not sing their praises enough. Scheduling is excellent, but over whelmed.. This is a great position if you want the experience and build up a nice resume with something respectable, but that's it.
    Vacation time accumulates and you have about 4 sick days with pay. plenty of medical and health benefits offered.

Cons

Are you Feeling unappreciated? Are you in an abusive relationship or better yet do you want to get paid to be in one and the only praise you’ll receive at the end of the day is a “high 5,” or “good job,” literally. Not enticing enough? How about working for a company where wage increases don’t exist and are instead replaced by pats on the back. This can be neatly coupled with poor schedules, client cancellations, insulting cancellation policies hidden under the guise of acceptable employee compensation. Most of this diatribe is attributed from perspective of the lowly position of Behavioral interventionist or former.

If you are looking for a full time position don't bother. You will be severely disappointed. The company cant guarantee the hours, because of client cancellations, services get terminated by either the company or the client themselves without notice. Most importantly, this is assuming that scheduling can even find you a client that is within driving distance. Most hrs will come from school cases which means you are on a school yr schedule. You will not be working for 4 months out of the yr. So if you don't have money concerns then by all means. If a school client is absent you can cover for other clients if available, but that is assuming the time and distance is worth it which most of the time is not. But that's ok, you can make up those precious hrs with a brilliant cancellation policy where you can work in the office for 2 hrs at minimum wage to make up for 1 hr of your actual pay. You can also go long periods without clients as well and I am talking months. I for one have taken clients well out of my driving range and most of the time taking at least an hr to get to, because that's all they could find me. Oh and did I mention you can get pulled off a case because of accusations from the client. Well you can and boy does it happen fast. Most of the time its because the client doesn't like you and they conjure up this little scheme to get you booted. Nobody likes a lawsuit so of course management obliges the client and your screwed for hours again. Be wary, because holding a Behavioral interventionist position means you're a victim of circumstance. Don't fret, if you file for unemployment because hrs are lacking, then grab a beer because ICT wont admit they suck and wont confirm your grief. They'd rather have you wallow in hardship while plotting their next money grab.

Don't bother asking for a raise either, I have known many hardened veterans in the field and most have never gotten a raise in years. So its pretty much unfair for anybody who starts out at base pay and put in the time, the hours and the dedication only to find out a new employee gets more because of their DOE. If you ask for a raise you will be ignored, neglected or shunned. Not in that order, the only way you will receive one is if you threaten to leave the company ,but before that make sure you have mastered the art of the ICT behavioral interventionist handbook (sarcasm) and fabricated a sense of dignity amongst your fellow supervisors so they can vouch for your outstanding abilities as a BI. Even then its a toss up. ICT prides itself on constantly spewing out nonsense about how rigorous the hiring process is or how much training the clinical team has or how it surpasses state law and guidelines blah blah blah which is true. BUT if that’s the case than why not pay your grunt workers (BI) more money and have an acceptable living wage that matches the amount of training and experience with the company. Why not focus on your core employees who have stuck it out with the company through thick and thin? They cant give wage increases but they sure as hell expand the company throughout California without delay.

All in all the turn over rate for BI's is a joke. Lets break it down shall we.If you’re starting from the BI position, good luck! There is no room for gray areas. You will either receive easy to work with clients or extremely difficult ones where your emotional sanity will be tested many times over. Physical aggression can range from hitting, biting, kicking, slapping, punching, spitting, throwing nonlethal/ lethal objects at staff or yourself, or clients running away from you. When working in home settings it can be the same with the parents. They’re either a pain or super supportive. If it’s a school client the internal politics are worse since you're abiding by Los Angeles unified school district rules which means limiting your control of the client and the environment. For ex. If a client loses his mind and tantrums and decides to destroy a room then you let him as long as he doesn't "hurt "anybody.. If this sounds like favorable working conditions then I praise you for your big heart. There are far better companies and this one is mediocre at best.

Advice to Management

Instead of hiding behind the companies picture perfect family value rubbish, they should practice what they preach. Take care of the people in the field because we are the ones that are representing the company. We are the ones playing therapist, mentor, teacher, family, friend, coach, peer, shrink, parent, ICT representative, liaison. Treat us like human beings. Every time I walk into the office and see the wall of pictures of staff members, all i see is expiration dates. I feel sorry for the person who has to constantly update that stupid wall, because they cant seem to keep anybody from quitting without making a scene. There is only one key to a BI's heart and that is wage increases...

Allow BI's to earn a salary status, because believe it or not some of us don't want the burden of a supervisor position where we have to travel the globe seeing multiple clients in one day, or juggling 10-15 BI's under me while managing 20 clients and parents. There are some BI's like myself who are just fine working with 1-3 permanent clients per week. This would also solve the drive time pay out, cancellation policy, and the money lost when clients cancel sessions suddenly especially for school clients etc.

Instead of having insulting surveys where the questions are dictated by what management believes to be important they should allow employees to decide. Lets face it, if they did i wouldn't have to be writing this novel about how much this company screws over their employees with empty promises and hallow pipe dreams.