Intergraph Reviews

133 reviews filtered by
3.4
Intergraph CEO Ola Rollén
Ola Rollén

Pros
  • Relaxed work environment - They don't require you to wear ties or button up shirts (in 10 reviews)

• Good people and flexible work environment (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • After 5-8 years of work, there is not much growth in career (in 7 reviews)

• Old technologies are followed , always a laggard than its competitors (in 5 reviews)

1. Great Company/Great People

I have been working at Intergraph full-time

Pros

Intergraph PP&M truly is an amazing place to work. Intergraph is filled with great employees that are genuinely passionate about what they do. Intergraph PP&M HR Team is the best, they have a true concern for the employee and are always available to provide support. The Intergraph culture encourages idea sharing, teamwork and collaboration. Casual/laid-back, open work environment. There is a brand new facility in Huntsville that has Ping Pong Tables, a Pool Table, Foosball Table, Gaming Center and an onsite barista. Excellent benefits are offered to employees including an onsite fitness center that is free to all employees and their families, there are various types of classes offered throughout the day/evening. Work/Life Balance is supported at Intergraph, including the option to work from home.

Cons

Be prepared to work in an "open work environment". You are easily able to connect with your team members to brainstorm and problem-solve. The new building in Huntsville has great huddle rooms when you need some privacy.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! Continue bringing in top talent to add to our amazing workforce.

Formerly great company going downhill

I have been working at Intergraph

Pros

Initial salary is pretty good. The new building is different from what they've ever had before and better than the old buildings.

Cons

Raises were awful.
    Executive management does not care about the employee.
    Will expand quickly and then RIF employees when not needed.

Advice to Management

Start engaging your employees. There is still a lot of talent at the company but not for much longer if you don't provide a career path.

3. 5+ year employee

Current Employee - Development Manager in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Development Manager in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Intergraph full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Really like the investment in employees. the change in HR has been helpful and revoluationary. The purchase by hexagon appears to have focused the business. Very open to change, and career development

Cons

bad middle management -- untrained at all but their functional area.

Advice to Management

More career development. Train people to be effective leaders/communicators.

System Engineer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, AL

I worked at Intergraph

Pros

Relaxed and laid-back (not sure if it is good or bad)

Cons

If you are on an immigrant visa, stay far away - employees on Visa are treated shabbily
    Politics all around
    Reactive than proactive mentality
    No career progress - you enter in a role and stay there forever

Advice to Management

Change and change fast

6. Good company

I have been working at Intergraph

Pros

Intelligent people around, challenging, good benefits

Cons

Hard to get to the next level, big learning curve.

Advice to Management

Find a way to promote people.

No vision for near or long term future in the Public Safety marketplace.

Former Employee - Sales in Madison, AL
    Former Employee - Sales in Madison, AL

I worked at Intergraph full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Stable but old technology
    Strong customer service mentality
    Employees with industry experience

Cons

Outdated technology, competition is far ahead
    Product Center develops in vacuum with little input from SME's
    Very little vision for new ideas and change

Advice to Management

Provide leadership and vision, seems like no one is in charge.

The next public safety dinosaur

I worked at Intergraph

Pros

Stability and still considered one of the industry leaders.

Cons

- Leadership has no concept of public safety software (one of their markets) they are selling or the market
    - Development technology is outdated
    - No sense of urgency as the market / competitors pass them buy

Advice to Management

Hire / promote leaders who understand the market you are selling into. Centralized development is not working since business priorities don't line up with developers in most cases, who have no clue about the market they are developing for.

Intergraph has been a good company to work for.

Current Employee - Executive Consultant in Madison, AL
    Current Employee - Executive Consultant in Madison, AL

I have been working at Intergraph full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

For the most part, local managers care about, and take care of their employees.

Cons

Limited training and career options.

Advice to Management

Middle management spends too much time in meetings, and not enough time managing and coaching their employees.

10. Family oriented, relaxed, modern

I have been working at Intergraph full-time

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere, family oriented, modern environment

Cons

Promotions and growth opportunities are unclear

Politics and mediocrity abound here.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norcross, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norcross, GA

I worked at Intergraph full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The science underlying the software was interesting. There were some really intelligent and fun people at both the ERDAS office and Intergraph SG&I office, and I had some good times when I was there.

Cons

This company is large and has two major divisions plus some acquired companies under its name. The PP&M group seems to make money and do well, and the people who work in that group seem happy. However, I worked for a small company based in the Atlanta area, ERDAS, that was acquired by Intergraph and under the Intergraph SG&I group, but still mostly functioned as an autonomous entity. My negative experiences were primarily due to the company I started out with, so this review is really about it and the Atlanta division of Intergraph that it became. My issue with Intergraph SG&I is that they were resting on the laurels of past achievement and didn't seem aggressive enough about moving forward, and that they didn't root out and eliminate the people in the organization who were playing social politics instead of just doing their best work.

The company I started out with was terrible to work for before the merger. Sometimes people could get ahead by being good at their jobs, but the easiest way to get along was to kiss up to the managers, whose large egos made them particularly susceptible to that kind of thing. I had two different managers during my time there. I had bad experiences with both of them because they'd been promoted on the basis of their personal relationships with higher managers and not because of their skills. Both seemed insecure because of their lack of skills and rather than support the efforts of motivated direct reports, did their best to thwart them. The entire environment favored mediocrity, so that's what thrived there.

I could tell as soon as I got there that there was some kind of infighting between my manager and some other managers, and I had landed in the middle of it. As a result, he didn't introduce me to the group I'd be working with, or even set up a workstation for me. There were no resources at the company with which I could train myself, so I mostly had to read materials from one of our main competitors to learn how the software worked and the science behind it. They also had me in a position where I had to answer to multiple managers who could have impacted my job, some of whom had very different, often conflicting ideas about what I should be doing. My observation is that I wasn't the only person torn between multiple managers or different sets of expectations. The multiple manager thing is stressful, and you can't win no matter how hard you try.

I finally transferred out of that group and into a group I thought was better. The manager there had actually been promoted beyond his capabilities and with little work or management experience because he was quite adept as a yes-man and stroker of management egos. Because that's how he'd built his career, he expected it from the people who worked under and alongside him, and could be very nasty to people who didn't fall in with his self-serving expectations. As a result, we had some people who coasted and worked only at staying on his good side. Some of us just worked, and ended up not only having to pull our own weight, but also that of the coasters. He put increasingly more pressure on the few good people to do more and more, and work more overtime to camouflage his inadequacy and that of his cronies. I did the best I could with it, and the people at Intergraph liked my work. I think he found that threatening, so I eventually got put on one of the routine layoff lists.

After the merger, some things got worse, because Intergraph benefits are just not that great and were kind of step down. They also had their own internal political problems and had been subjected to fairly frequent and pretty large layoffs. A lot of the worsening, though, was because the management at my company kept doing sneaky, passive aggressive things to try to hold on to the positions and power they'd had prior to the merger. Right off, it seemed like Intergraph SG&I were putting their thumb on us and trying to be difficult to deal with. After I got to spend more time around the Intergraph people, I saw that wasn't the case and liked working with them better than the people in my own group. I found them to be more professional, skilled, and pleasant to work with. Their managers were also more skilled and were willing to help you. It started dawning on me that the initial sketchy impression of them came largely from managers at my company setting themselves up as the primary, and often sole communication conduit between us and the Intergraph people and spinning things to make themselves look best to whichever side they were talking to. When anything negative went down, we were told it was because of the Intergraph people. I don't know for sure, but I imagine the Intergraph people got an earful about how awful and inept we were, too. It was one of the most self-serving, unprofessional things I have ever seen on a job. I wish I had seen through it sooner so I could have just quit.

Overall, I had an extremely poor experience working in this former ERDAS, Intergraph division. I wish the Intergraph and Intergraph SG&I brass had seen through the shenanigans of the division management and gotten rid of them so the whole company could move ahead. It didn't happen while I was there, though, and I doubt it's happened since. My advice is to stay away from this company, especially if the position is based out of that Atlanta office. Your nerves and career path will be better off.

Intergraph Photos