Interior Architects

Updated April 3, 2015
28 reviews filtered by
3.9
David Mourning

1. It was a great experience, I felt that my time and effort was valued and appreciated.

Former Intern - Junior Interior Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Intern - Junior Interior Designer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Interior Architects as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I felt welcomed and a part of their team from the first day. I was provided with many opportunities to learn different skills and to be exposed to different aspects of the profession. I also felt that I experienced wonderful mentorship from extremely talented designers who took the time to get me involved in the projects, and teach me along the way.

Cons

Fridays are typically slower, with fewer designers in the office, so it is harder for an intern to keep busy.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. It was apparent that your employees were important and valued.

2. Great experience

Current Employee - Junior Designer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Junior Designer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Interior Architects full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I'm new in my friend and I am learning a lot

Cons

Flexible schedule yet somewhat rigid at the same time

Advice to Management

None

3. A Wonderful Firm to Work For

Current Employee - Intermediate Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Intermediate Designer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Interior Architects full-time (less than a year)

Pros

• The people in IA are talented, friendly and fun to work with.
        • Respectful and reasonable Management.
        • Provides all the resources for staff to gain skills, experience, and grow with the firm.
        • Relax and well-balanced work environment.
        • Provides good benefits and pay.
        • Encourages creativity

Cons

• Could be a little more diverse.
        • Could involve more outside activities for staffs

Advice to Management

• None - Management satisfies and exceeds expectations.

Diamond in the rough

I have been working at Interior Architects full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

IA has talented staff and attracts some good clients/projects. They are ready for growth and can compete with much larger organizations. For the most part they let their employees stretch their creative skills and utilize people outside of their specific job. They pay fair market value for compensation and rewards high performers with good bonuses.

Cons

The Executive Team should shift their focus from individual offices to the organization as a whole. They need to improve their communication with the staff and develop their more senior staff on management skills. There are some that are really good with the business side of their job but some lack in the employee development or management part.

6. Company with great potential, but lacks good leadership

I worked at Interior Architects full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked in the NYC office with some very talented and hard-working people (still friends with many of them today). There were some fun & creative projects to work on. The benefits were pretty good (salary, medical, dental, vacation). It was nice working for a company that had offices all over because sometimes work would come in through those offices for clients that you wouldn't have had the opportunity to work with. And if the office staff was overly stretched, then certain work could be farmed out to other offices that might not have as much work.

Cons

Poor & Dysfunctional Management: people who should have been fired, were not because management did not want to have the uncomfortable conversation. And in certain instances, the less than stellar employee was actually promoted! Communication was terrible. Simple things were not communicated effectively ( closing the office early before holidays was not communicated until an hour before we closed for the day - and more often than not, it was less notice). Jr. staff was severely overworked and rarely recognized or rewarded for putting in long hours on project deadlines. Managing Principal micro-managed a lot of things that could have easily been managed by the office principals - which i think caused a lot of the poor communication. Seemed like the office principals were tasked with the results, but not given authority to make decisions. Poor communication between the office principals often seemed to cause rifts withing the office staff - making you feel like you had to choose sides.

Advice to Management

Do the tough things that leaders do - have the uncomfortable conversations - make the difficult decisions - surround yourselves with top talent so you don't have to micromanage. Let people take on more responsibility, but reward them for it. Make slackers take responsibility for their lack of performance and engagement - don't keep letting them fly below the radar because they ruin the moral and productivity for the entire team.

7. A big national firm with opportunities if you want them

Current Employee - Interior Designer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Interior Designer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Interior Architects full-time (less than a year)

Pros

IA is a very people-focused company. The benefits are very good for the industry, the company is employee owned, and management is very accessible. The company itself is growing and there's a real opportunity to make a name for yourself here.

Cons

Smaller offices don't offer all the amenities of the larger ones, although things like tech support and benefits are still easily reachable through Lync.

Perks and Potential

Current Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Interior Architects full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

IA offers perks like paid exam fees, paid membership fees to professional organizations, bonuses (when times are good), a mentorship program and flexible work schedules. The office is new and fresh. The staff are generally friendly and helpful. If you have a desire to learn and grow, and you let it be know to management, the opportunities are there. The senior staff has a lot of wisdom and talent to share. Our clients vary from the very well known to start ups. IA is understanding and accommodating of employees with families.

Cons

Like all design firms I've worked for, clients can be demanding, schedules can get rough, stress can ensue, and IA is no different. Work/life balance can be a challenge at times. I'd say it has the common cons of the industry.

Advice to Management

This is advice to all architecture/design firms: Always consider the employee first, without them, there would be no one to make the masterpieces, the money and the client relationships. Reward, mentor and respect. A "good job" can go a long way.

Cold and Corporate

I worked at Interior Architects

Pros

High profile firm I did good to go on some nice trips when I worked there.

Cons

I never felt comfortable here despite being a senior project manager. The management is a bunch of good old boys with very high opinions of themselves.
    Very corporate- Doesn't really have a feel of an architectural design firm. Very few people there to create and design projects.

Excellent hiring process and experiences

Current Employee - Junior Interior Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Junior Interior Designer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Interior Architects full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Very responsive since the beginning. IA has been very accommodating during my transition of relocating from a different state. Not only did they put me into contact with current employees that had recently gone through the same experiences as I was about to, but they also were very thorough in following up. It was an easy decision when it came to choosing IA as my next workplace. I highly suggest this company.

Cons

As with any large company, there were times where information was not clearly discussed with me. Although, this could easily be resolved as long as you are clear about what it is your looking for - just ask questions.

Good firm with some great people.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Interior Architects full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay and lots of projects. Some of the principals are fantastic.

Cons

Some of the work is extremely repetitive. Some of the principals are less than fantastic.

Advice to Management

If you can determine which principals are fantastic, work with them. If you are stuck with a less than fantastic principal, transfer. If you can't transfer, go somewhere else! Life is too short to work for people who don't care about you.

Interior Architects Photos