Interior Architects

Updated May 23, 2014
Updated May 23, 2014
2.8

David Mourning

Excellent hiring process and experiences

Current Employee - Junior Interior Designer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Junior Interior Designer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Interior Architects full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very responsive since the beginning. IA has been very accommodating during my transition of relocating from a different state. Not only did they put me into contact with current employees that had recently gone through the same experiences as I was about to, but they also were very thorough in following up. It was an easy decision when it came to choosing IA as my next workplace. I highly suggest this company.

Cons

As with any large company, there were times where information was not clearly discussed with me. Although, this could easily be resolved as long as you are clear about what it is your looking for - just ask questions.

Good firm with some great people.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Interior Architects full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Decent pay and lots of projects. Some of the principals are fantastic.

Cons

Some of the work is extremely repetitive. Some of the principals are less than fantastic.

If you can determine which principals are fantastic, work with them. If you are stuck with a less than fantastic principal, transfer. If you can't transfer, go somewhere else! Life is too short to work for people who don't care about you.

Soul sucking sweatshop

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Interior Architects for more than a year

Pros

Some interesting clients, but not many.

Cons

Non existent work -life balance. Overpaid old timers who've worn out their welcome and waste company resources. Passive aggressive middle management and senior technical staff who are more than happy to throw their team under the bus to cover their own behinds and yet still earn promotions.

Don't play favorites by enabling the slackers to get away with murder while a handful of hard workers carry the burden. Lead by example and follow through with meeting team deadlines without any excuses; if we're expected to work overtime to get a job done, so should you.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The fastest revolving door you will ever get stuck in.

Former Employee - Architect Staff
    Former Employee - Architect Staff

I worked at Interior Architects full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good clients. Some of the work is interesting. Many good and talented people; great colleagues. Reasonably diverse skills among staff. Good opportunity for growth if you are young and inexperienced, as you will put in a lot of hours.

Cons

Corporate structure benefits the management and gives meager benefits to employees. Office managers get the credit for work well done, not those actually accomplishing the work. Work load is often heavy with little to no support; more experienced staff are expected to do their own production and put in whatever time is necessary in order to accomplish that. Sparse feedback for accomplishments and for hard work; criticism for making mistakes (due to not having adequate support) is more common. Extremely high rate of turn-over. Many of the projects look the same when finished. Voiced concerns to management are not taken seriously, as the attitude is that there are always other people willing to take the job if you don't want it. Only "designers" design; the architects are considered support staff and labeled as "technical."

Recognize that the firm's success is the result of talented and competent employees and not simply office managers.

Great evolving community.

I have been working at Interior Architects

Pros

New office and influx in work with new younger employees encourage new design and approaches.

Cons

Billing fees are low for what they should charge. Sometimes a lack of interaction with employees outside of work.

Incredible internship experience

Former Employee - Junior Interior Designer  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Junior Interior Designer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Interior Architects as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I was given tons of responsibility considering I was just a Junior Interior Design Intern. They let me get my feet wet with all different aspects of the industry. Not only did the work experience exceed my expectations, but the work culture was incredible--everyone was so friendly and truly cared about one another.

Cons

None that I can think of!

Keep doing what you're doing!

So far so good

Current Employee - Interior Design  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Interior Design in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Interior Architects full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great projects
    Great leadership
    Very Fast
    Opportunities to grow

Cons

Sometimes too fast
    Low fee
    Sometimes confusing and convoluted

Get better fees

The last place you'll want to work.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Interior Architects full-time for less than a year

Pros

The paychecks come in reliably.

Cons

It does not get much worse than Interior Architects (IA). This is a classic example of management being out of touch with the people working for them and not understanding the fundamentals of running a successful large company. The morale is absolutely in the gutter, turn-over is easily the highest I've witnessed in my career. Many employees start with common optimism only to quickly find themselves desperate to find a way out. There is regular harassment of employees bordering on unlawful. It is not uncommon to find your colleagues in tears having been inappropriately reprimanded for the most minor of details. The environment is cold, disconnected and not at all family friendly. If you're not willing to do regular 12+ hour days to meet unrealistic deadlines you're going to be out of a job.

If you're considering working here, move along. This review only compliments the others on Glassdoor that call-out the absolute hell that is working at IA.

Work to understand why the turn-over rate far exceeds that of the industry norm.

You're either "In" or you're "Out"

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Interior Architects full-time

Pros

There are a handful of stable professionals here who are dedicated to overall success of the firm. High design ethic is sought. Solid client base.

Cons

Tread very carefully...once the word gets out that you've done something incorrectly, you're up against a wall. Upper management for the most part, does not have concern for the "people" they employ.

Try treating all of your employees with respect., not just your favorites.

Disorganized.

Former Employee - Interior Designer
    Former Employee - Interior Designer

I worked at Interior Architects full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some very competent junior and mid level designers. Seriously hard workers.

Cons

Lack of communication between managers, creative leads and lower staff creates disorganization and emergencies. Emergencies lead to poor creative solutions and mistakes.
    Not a lot of thinking outside of the box, just good solid inexpensive solutions.

Worked for Interior Architects? Contribute to the Community!