Interlake Mecalux Reviews

Updated August 26, 2014

1.7

Interlake Mecalux President José Luis Carrillo
José Luis Carrillo

Successful company, less than ideal working environment

Former Employee - Accounts Receivable Analyst  in  Melrose Park, IL
    Former Employee - Accounts Receivable Analyst in Melrose Park, IL

I worked at Interlake Mecalux as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Management is accessible. The software used for accounting is helping the company keep pace with new technology and keep the company on a progressive path.

Cons

Micromanagement became too intense, and that was not ideal for anyone. Also the seating layout is strange: 1 large floor, with rows of 3 employees who are not separated by any cubicle or walls. Eyes are always watching from management and scrutiny sometimes feels unwarranted.

I think management for the most part was very good and professional, there was only 1 or 2 individuals who were too paranoid and began to micromanage to a great extent.

Unrewarding

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I worked at Interlake Mecalux full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fellow workers for outside salespeople both inside and outside.

Cons

Management by intimidation and micro-management.

Listen to your employees input when you ask for it. Don't micro-manage, and at least get some dividers for the people on the floor in Melrose Park so they don't feel like they're always being watched or judged by management and/or their peers.

The real sweat of the company on the floor most all reviews I've seen are pencil pushers crying!!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  Pontiac, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Pontiac, IL

I have been working at Interlake Mecalux full-time for more than a year

Pros

The one and only pro that u receive a pay check every week. I never said it was a good thing....

Cons

Where should I start im a current employee I work the production floor at this so called company. We come in day to day not knowing if we have work or we are cleaning. The physical parts of the production floor are unsafe and not supervised very well. Always running out of material to do our jobs. The only thing I've ever heard out of upper management is be safe.... they want u to work way harder than what u are getting paid for and all they do is take take take all they want os bigger faster production numbers a year ago me and my fellow coworkers were metting and exceeding their production goals so what do they do up the goals happens to the point where the goal is no longer reachable then we are to blame... WORST COMPANY EVER ALL THEY CARE FOR IS THEIR WALLETS EVERY ONE ON THE PRODUCTION FLOOR IS REPLACEABLE TO THEM NO ANNUAL RAISES NO COST OF LIVING RAISES ALL WE GET IS INCENTIVE BONUS WHICH NOBODY KNOWS HOW IT WORKS ONE WEEK YOU COULD GET $20 OR $30 THE NEXT $0 MOSTLY $0 BY THE WAY... Interlake Mecalux needs to show more appreciation for thier employees. If the wages were $4 or $5 per hour more then it would be bearable but this company is cheap in every way possible... P.S. WISH I NEVER HEARD OF Interlake Mecalux

Care for employees more and not just the guys sitting at thier desks but the guys sweating and putting thier own body in danger for your product because the equipment is out of date and unsafe. Stop worrying about your wallet size and make it possible for your employees to survive in the normal average world where we drive 4,000 dollar cars and have payments to make instead of worrying about the wax job on your lambo or roles royce... PAY YOUR EMPLOYEES BETTER!!!!!!!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

1,001 days in hell... my time at Interlake Mecalux

Former Employee - Marketing  in  Melrose Park, IL
    Former Employee - Marketing in Melrose Park, IL

I worked at Interlake Mecalux full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My strong, professional, loyal, hardworking, devoted co-workers who sweated and bled with me and kept me strong and made it worthwhile to come into that dreadful great grey concrete hole every day. Almost everyone that I met while working there was someone that I would have liked to know on the outside, there's something about that place that forges strong bonds between the people who work there. That is absolutely the best thing about working there.

The customers were fantastic too. At the end of my career at Interlake Mecalux, I was out in the field with them and the energy rush you get from being able to interact face to face and one on one with the dealers... it's incredible. If only it hasn't been tainted by the horror stories of late shipments, missing orders, delays, and lies, lies, and more lies from management... it was so difficult to be out there trying to represent the company and stay positive when you know how unethical and cut-throat your company is behind the scenes.

Cons

This is the most unethical, down and dirty company I have ever worked for. Management lies constantly. To customers, to vendors, to other managers, to employees, and particularly to Spain. That is the golden rule for anyone that communicates with Mecalux Spain at Interlake Mecalux USA, Never EVER tell Corporate the TRUTH about ANYTHING! Management is so paranoid about any communication with Corporate that if you must have a conversation with someone in Spain, they will pull you into their office afterward and grill you about the call to make certain you didn't say anything that might have gone against their many lies.

The goal of Interlake Mecalux USA is to pay their employees as little as possible for as long as possible. Compensation is well below industry standards. Job titles are classified incorrectly so employees can be set up as exempt status, this means employees that should be paid hourly are paid a salary and excluded from overtime. This is because when month end rolls around everyone is expected to stay until every last order is entered into the system and every invoice is closed, without pay, no matter how late. Some months I was there as late as 10pm.

When I was hired, they put me in as salary plus overtime, but that only lasted a few months. The HR manager (at that time) came to me with a story about how my job was classified incorrectly so I needed to be paid differently. They took away the overtime and didn't increase my pay. I worked there for over four years, I was promoted five times and I received only one pay increase. I was only paid overtime once during the merger when Mecalux bought Interlake and I was working 17 hour days for two weeks straight - and Saturdays. I regularly worked 10, 12, 13 hour days because there was more work than people and my boss was demanding. I will give her credit that she did fight hard for my raise and my "lateral" promotions. She was a tough boss, but she taught me a lot. If she wasn't the worst liar of the whole senior management team at Interlake Mecalux, I would have tremendous respect for her.

The company is owned by Mecalux Spain, and there were many rumors about why they utilize the open office working environment. There are no cubicles, only rows upon rows of grey desks lined back to front upstairs and downstairs. The managers offices line the side with big windows facing out so they are always watching. I have met, and worked with the owners' son, and I know, for a fact, he believes that if you can't see an employee working, that they will not be working. This is why all the managers oversee all the employees. There is no trust and it begins at the very top... and it goes all the way down.

When a company shows that they trust and value their employees, their employees work harder, have more energy, and stay loyal to that company. I worked hard for Interlake Mecalux because I am ethical, honest and professional - I cared about my job and the people I worked with and the customers I worked for. It was made clear to me, very early on, that management and the company did not care about the employees - so we had to stick together.

Mecalux needs to stop worrying about their dollars and Euros so much and start worrying about their people. Take care of the people - your customers - your employees - and the dollars and Euros will come. The people are the heart and soul of your company - they are the ones who are going to make or break you. If you break them, as you have been doing for the past 10 years, the company is going to break, but if you make them, they are going to make your company soar.

Get rid of those people in management who are totally unethical and spend their time fabricating lies to tell to everyone just to make themselves look good. They're poisoning the system and will bring the company down.

Don't work so hard to jump over a dollar to pick up a dime - when you push and push and push a customer into a deal that's great for you but bad for them, they are going to be less likely to come back in the future because that sale just made them unhappy. That deal for you was a dime - the future deals that you've now lost because you kept pushing were the dollars. Those dollars are walking over to your competitors - and every one of the dollars that you push away to your competitors makes your competitors stronger and you weaker.

Account executive

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Interlake Mecalux full-time for less than a year

Pros

The ability to work from home.
    Decent salary for the first 7 months.
    My co workers in my region were fantastic.

Cons

I was hired for a particular territory. Slowly they added new reps and dwindled my territory down to the point that I was unable to successfully hit my numbers.
    Account executives are only allowed to speak to 3 people at corporate. Their inside sales rep, customer service rep and the CEO. This causes a massive delay in receiving answers for time sensitive issues and the loss of large orders.
    Nothing is ever corporate's fault. They make constant mistakes and yet still blame the sales reps.
    Corporate has no idea what is going on in each territory and could care less. They just want their outlandish sales goals hit.

This company is falling apart. Turn over is ridiculously high. Start listening to your employees!

Dodging a Bullet

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Melrose Park, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melrose Park, IL

I worked at Interlake Mecalux full-time for less than a year

Pros

Quick hire, decent location outside of Chicago.

Cons

It has the feel of a work camp. No one is smiling. You definitely don't get the sense that people like working there. No one has any personal effects on their desks, which probably doesn't seem like a big deal but I mean you spend so much time there it should be like a second home.
    Their jobs titles don't make sense. The Inside Sales position is really more of a customer service role, where the Customer Service (Account Management) position is actually an Inside sales role. I imagine they do that so they don't have to pay better salaries.

VERY POOR COMPANY

Former Employee - Production Supervisor  in  Pontiac, IL
    Former Employee - Production Supervisor in Pontiac, IL

I worked at Interlake Mecalux full-time for less than a year

Pros

Only try working at Interlake-Mecalux after you have exhausted all other possibilities. Steady paycheck, paid weekly, no layoffs,decent co-workers.

Cons

Unsafe working environment, does not follow OSHA guidelines or EPA laws. Very low pay, exceptionally poor management, unsatisfactory Human Resource department. Spainish owned.

To the management in place now, my advice would be to stay there, you deserve it!!!!

Great company with a bright future!

I have been working at Interlake Mecalux full-time

Pros

This is a great company for anyone who is hardworking and interested in growing professionally. The company is growing quickly but steadily, so there's lots of opportunities to learn new things and to get involved in different areas of the company. The company is more flat with some managers/supervisors. This is a benefit because it allows any employee to grow in responsibility without being limited by a title.

Human Resources has always been very helpful to me. If I've ever had a concern about anything (my manager, benefits, the proper way to handle a situation), they've always provided support. The benefits package is also very competitive (health, dental, vision, 401K). There's more vacation time at the start than you see at a lot of companies as well as paid holidays. The company match on the 401K is great as well.

The employees are great and everyone is great to work with. Great work environment!

Cons

The temperature in the office can be inconsistent, so we keep sweaters handy all year long.

If you are a masochist and love pain, then this is the place for you.

Current Employee - Thankfully Former Employee  in  Melrose Park, IL
    Current Employee - Thankfully Former Employee in Melrose Park, IL

I have been working at Interlake Mecalux full-time for more than a year

Pros

The only pro is that eventually the best workers who are still here for some odd reason will figure out a way to leave and this company will be ran into the ground where it rightfully belongs.

Cons

I don't know which one would happen first. Whether I would run out of characters this website allows to list all the cons or whether my fingers would go numb from typing.

- Everyone I knew here was depressed, miserable and wanted out. If you take a job here you will regret it and you will hate yourself and your life. You are warned. Don't just walk away. Run away. Take a job in Starbucks or something instead.
    - Pay is low. Some sales reps get paid under 30k (new guys straight out of college) while others get paid nearly 6 figure salaries (the ones with a long list of distributors) and above while doing exact same amount of work. If you were a capitalist, then this place will turn you into a hardcore Marxist if you only knew some of the things that go on behind the scenes here.
    - The only way it stayed in business this long is because they pay their employees Chinese sweatshop like wages and this place is a sweatshop believe me. As more and more people leave you will be expected to take on additional responsibilities with no pay increase. You will be promoted from within whether you like or not and will be threatened with termination.
    - People get fired for being 1 minute late. Why not just make the guy stay 1 minute late instead of firing him? This thought never crossed anyone's mind here because apparently it is cheaper to hire someone new, spend all the time and money training him only for him to quit or get fired a few months later. Rinse and repeat ad infinitum.
    - Extreme turnover rate. Most managers here and abroad quit and moved onto greener pastures. I've seen hundreds of people quit and leave and/or get fired.
    - One of the selling points they make is that there is a "huge room for growth" but the only reason that is true is because everyone above you leaves or is trying to leave. You will be promised high salaries after a few years of working here but it will never happen.
    - I don't know who left the positive reviews but I sure as hell would like what they're smoking because everyone I knew here hated working here.
    - I do not know what I did in my past life to deserve this experience. If I ever offended someone in my past life, then please please accept my sincerest apologies. I would not wish for anyone to work here, even my own worst enemy.

It's useless to give them advice. It would just fall on deaf ears because they can't see what is right in front of their own eyes. Here's an advice that would work and do some good. Please jump off a cliff.

This place is pathetic!

Former Employee - Inside Sales
    Former Employee - Inside Sales

I worked at Interlake Mecalux full-time for more than a year

Pros

co-workers are good people

Cons

Too many this place is horrible. For starters, upper management is pretty pathetic. They will lie through teeth and tell you that interlake is a growing company but people leave left and right. Their compensation is a complete joke its around 30k for all new hires for all departments even engineering. This horrid place will give you a good picture of what happens when a foreign investor buys the company and just wants a quick turn around. There is no mercy here if you have contributed and worked hard that doesn't matter there is no effort to keep people. They operate not by training and development but by taking advantage of the recession and new college grads hiring pools. Furthermore, HR is a joke they are just there to watch and report you. seriously one min. late could get you terminated. This place is beyond pathetic Im pretty sure these shill-like positive reviews popping up on here are written by HR. Quite sad actually. Dont work here you will hate it.

Fix your sinking ship or at least be honest about it

Worked for Interlake Mecalux? Contribute to the Community!