Interlake Mecalux

Updated November 4, 2014
1.8

Interlake Mecalux President José Luis Carrillo
José Luis Carrillo

Realistic review from current employee

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melrose Park, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melrose Park, IL

I have been working at Interlake Mecalux full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Room for growth
    fast paced/ever changing environment
    Successful company

I am a current employee and believe Interlake Mecalux is a great company to begin your career. They offer great benefits including BCBS insurance, a 401K plan with employee matching, and over 3 weeks paid vacation time. There is tremendous room for growth in all areas as the company is growing each year. I have worked in multiple departments and moved up through the company in my time employed here. They promote from within if possible.

Cons

Open-office environment is not ideal for everyone

It was a learning experience for college grads, take it as it is and find something better later.

Former Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Interlake Mecalux full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Learning curve. They throw you into a lot of uncomfortable situations to fend for yourself, and if you have any sort of a brain, you can survive, learn, and maybe even thrive.

Cons

Don't think about asking for more than 28k/year....that is why this company is only good to learn with for a short period of time and then go find something better that will warrant you more salary.

Pay your good employees so they will stay. A 5% increase off of 28k/year is not a living wage.

Challenging Company

Current Employee - Director in Melrose Park, IL
    Current Employee - Director in Melrose Park, IL

I have been working at Interlake Mecalux full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

My fellow employees were the only reason that I worked for Interlake Mecalux for as long as I did

Cons

Most challenging, has to be the Owner.

Great Management Team, the Owner should leave them alone and let them run the business. It maybe a little rough now since most of the best people have moved on. But, there are a few Diamonds still left. You should update the Management Team. Company CEO you have listed Jose Luis Carrillo is retired.

Working at this company will waste years of your life

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melrose Park, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melrose Park, IL

I worked at Interlake Mecalux full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The 15 PTO days, 2 floating holidays, and a few holidays that you are not working at this company. Coworkers are nice people to work with.

Cons

Company does NOT care about employees.
    Compensation is absolutely terrible.
    Employees are micromanaged constantly.
    Office is very poorly maintained with washrooms with broken toilets and sinks.

Make an effort to show your employees that they are valued members of the organization.

Disappointing

Current Employee - Account Executive in Melrose Park, IL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Melrose Park, IL

I have been working at Interlake Mecalux full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Really good Insurance, they will hire anyone. 15 days of PTO, 2 floating holidays

Cons

Don't erase your emails, everyone is willing to throw you under the bus. If applying please ask what is the commission rate because it is under 1%, The pay is very low and no room for growth. The company is wanting to have one sale's man per state so don't expect to be making to much from the 28K base salary. No training is available because the company has lost a lot of personnel, because the company really sucks. All of the reviews are true. Also the Engineering Position pays the same 28K

Be upfront about the Sales position, and what it entails.

Unrewarding

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I worked at Interlake Mecalux full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fellow workers for outside salespeople both inside and outside.

Cons

Management by intimidation and micro-management.

Listen to your employees input when you ask for it. Don't micro-manage, and at least get some dividers for the people on the floor in Melrose Park so they don't feel like they're always being watched or judged by management and/or their peers.

Successful company, less than ideal working environment

Former Employee - Accounts Receivable Analyst in Melrose Park, IL
    Former Employee - Accounts Receivable Analyst in Melrose Park, IL

I worked at Interlake Mecalux as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Management is accessible. The software used for accounting is helping the company keep pace with new technology and keep the company on a progressive path.

Cons

Micromanagement became too intense, and that was not ideal for anyone. Also the seating layout is strange: 1 large floor, with rows of 3 employees who are not separated by any cubicle or walls. Eyes are always watching from management and scrutiny sometimes feels unwarranted.

I think management for the most part was very good and professional, there was only 1 or 2 individuals who were too paranoid and began to micromanage to a great extent.

The real sweat of the company on the floor most all reviews I've seen are pencil pushers crying!!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous in Pontiac, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Pontiac, IL

I have been working at Interlake Mecalux full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The one and only pro that u receive a pay check every week. I never said it was a good thing....

Cons

Where should I start im a current employee I work the production floor at this so called company. We come in day to day not knowing if we have work or we are cleaning. The physical parts of the production floor are unsafe and not supervised very well. Always running out of material to do our jobs. The only thing I've ever heard out of upper management is be safe.... they want u to work way harder than what u are getting paid for and all they do is take take take all they want os bigger faster production numbers a year ago me and my fellow coworkers were metting and exceeding their production goals so what do they do up the goals happens to the point where the goal is no longer reachable then we are to blame... WORST COMPANY EVER ALL THEY CARE FOR IS THEIR WALLETS EVERY ONE ON THE PRODUCTION FLOOR IS REPLACEABLE TO THEM NO ANNUAL RAISES NO COST OF LIVING RAISES ALL WE GET IS INCENTIVE BONUS WHICH NOBODY KNOWS HOW IT WORKS ONE WEEK YOU COULD GET $20 OR $30 THE NEXT $0 MOSTLY $0 BY THE WAY... Interlake Mecalux needs to show more appreciation for thier employees. If the wages were $4 or $5 per hour more then it would be bearable but this company is cheap in every way possible... P.S. WISH I NEVER HEARD OF Interlake Mecalux

Care for employees more and not just the guys sitting at thier desks but the guys sweating and putting thier own body in danger for your product because the equipment is out of date and unsafe. Stop worrying about your wallet size and make it possible for your employees to survive in the normal average world where we drive 4,000 dollar cars and have payments to make instead of worrying about the wax job on your lambo or roles royce... PAY YOUR EMPLOYEES BETTER!!!!!!!

1,001 days in hell... my time at Interlake Mecalux

Former Employee - Marketing in Melrose Park, IL
    Former Employee - Marketing in Melrose Park, IL

I worked at Interlake Mecalux full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My strong, professional, loyal, hardworking, devoted co-workers who sweated and bled with me and kept me strong and made it worthwhile to come into that dreadful great grey concrete hole every day. Almost everyone that I met while working there was someone that I would have liked to know on the outside, there's something about that place that forges strong bonds between the people who work there. That is absolutely the best thing about working there.

The customers were fantastic too. At the end of my career at Interlake Mecalux, I was out in the field with them and the energy rush you get from being able to interact face to face and one on one with the dealers... it's incredible. If only it hasn't been tainted by the horror stories of late shipments, missing orders, delays, and lies, lies, and more lies from management... it was so difficult to be out there trying to represent the company and stay positive when you know how unethical and cut-throat your company is behind the scenes.

Cons

This is the most unethical, down and dirty company I have ever worked for. Management lies constantly. To customers, to vendors, to other managers, to employees, and particularly to Spain. That is the golden rule for anyone that communicates with Mecalux Spain at Interlake Mecalux USA, Never EVER tell Corporate the TRUTH about ANYTHING! Management is so paranoid about any communication with Corporate that if you must have a conversation with someone in Spain, they will pull you into their office afterward and grill you about the call to make certain you didn't say anything that might have gone against their many lies.

The goal of Interlake Mecalux USA is to pay their employees as little as possible for as long as possible. Compensation is well below industry standards. Job titles are classified incorrectly so employees can be set up as exempt status, this means employees that should be paid hourly are paid a salary and excluded from overtime. This is because when month end rolls around everyone is expected to stay until every last order is entered into the system and every invoice is closed, without pay, no matter how late. Some months I was there as late as 10pm.

When I was hired, they put me in as salary plus overtime, but that only lasted a few months. The HR manager (at that time) came to me with a story about how my job was classified incorrectly so I needed to be paid differently. They took away the overtime and didn't increase my pay. I worked there for over four years, I was promoted five times and I received only one pay increase. I was only paid overtime once during the merger when Mecalux bought Interlake and I was working 17 hour days for two weeks straight - and Saturdays. I regularly worked 10, 12, 13 hour days because there was more work than people and my boss was demanding. I will give her credit that she did fight hard for my raise and my "lateral" promotions. She was a tough boss, but she taught me a lot. If she wasn't the worst liar of the whole senior management team at Interlake Mecalux, I would have tremendous respect for her.

The company is owned by Mecalux Spain, and there were many rumors about why they utilize the open office working environment. There are no cubicles, only rows upon rows of grey desks lined back to front upstairs and downstairs. The managers offices line the side with big windows facing out so they are always watching. I have met, and worked with the owners' son, and I know, for a fact, he believes that if you can't see an employee working, that they will not be working. This is why all the managers oversee all the employees. There is no trust and it begins at the very top... and it goes all the way down.

When a company shows that they trust and value their employees, their employees work harder, have more energy, and stay loyal to that company. I worked hard for Interlake Mecalux because I am ethical, honest and professional - I cared about my job and the people I worked with and the customers I worked for. It was made clear to me, very early on, that management and the company did not care about the employees - so we had to stick together.

Mecalux needs to stop worrying about their dollars and Euros so much and start worrying about their people. Take care of the people - your customers - your employees - and the dollars and Euros will come. The people are the heart and soul of your company - they are the ones who are going to make or break you. If you break them, as you have been doing for the past 10 years, the company is going to break, but if you make them, they are going to make your company soar.

Get rid of those people in management who are totally unethical and spend their time fabricating lies to tell to everyone just to make themselves look good. They're poisoning the system and will bring the company down.

Don't work so hard to jump over a dollar to pick up a dime - when you push and push and push a customer into a deal that's great for you but bad for them, they are going to be less likely to come back in the future because that sale just made them unhappy. That deal for you was a dime - the future deals that you've now lost because you kept pushing were the dollars. Those dollars are walking over to your competitors - and every one of the dollars that you push away to your competitors makes your competitors stronger and you weaker.

Account executive

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Interlake Mecalux full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The ability to work from home.
    Decent salary for the first 7 months.
    My co workers in my region were fantastic.

Cons

I was hired for a particular territory. Slowly they added new reps and dwindled my territory down to the point that I was unable to successfully hit my numbers.
    Account executives are only allowed to speak to 3 people at corporate. Their inside sales rep, customer service rep and the CEO. This causes a massive delay in receiving answers for time sensitive issues and the loss of large orders.
    Nothing is ever corporate's fault. They make constant mistakes and yet still blame the sales reps.
    Corporate has no idea what is going on in each territory and could care less. They just want their outlandish sales goals hit.

This company is falling apart. Turn over is ridiculously high. Start listening to your employees!