Intermatic Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.6
Douglas M. Kinney Sr.

Good companywith opportunity to grow

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spring Grove, IL

I have been working at Intermatic full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My work experience and impression of Intermatic is very positive. I am in my 6th year at Intermatic and I enjoy the atmosphere and working environment tremendously. I joined during a difficult time as the business strategically moved away from a strong retail presence and back to its core commercial and industrial products. Since that change the business is doing great and the mood and atmosphere throughout the headquarters is excellent. It’s a fun place to work and although there is always a lot to do, there is not a great deal of negative stress. Also, there is a refreshing absence of office politics so I don’t need to spend energy on that which was not the case with my previous employers. The functional areas, for the most part, get along and the working environment is very positive. I feel like I have free reign to do my job and that my contributions actually mean something here.

Cons

The only negative is that the headquarters in Spring Grove is not situated in a perfect location. I personally have a bit of a drive but I believe that the extra distance is a small price to pay to work for a company where the employees matter.

Advice to Management

The Senior team is relatively new and most have joined since I arrived. They are approachable and seem to work well together so inter-functional issues are usually quickly resolved. As a result we are really picking up the pace of new product introductions. It is exciting to work for a company that is successfully launching new products and growing. It wasn’t that way when I started but it is that way now. My advice is to pick up the pace more so we can get the new products out the door.

Struggling company with few opportunities and internal friction

Current Employee - Management in Spring Grove, IL

I have been working at Intermatic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you wish to continue your education and advance your career in presentations and spreadsheets, this is a great place to work.

Cons

All levels of management struggle making progress limited and new product development non-existent. High level management leads with an aristocratic approach leaving little room for subordinate negotiation and influence. Most quality employees have moved on into other successful careers either by force or choice.

Advice to Management

Refine the leadership and run the business as a team instead of a dictatorship. Eliminate the ability to identify the employee taking the internal survey and you will receive accurate results. Understand your organizational limitations and optimize its future around its core competencies. Don’t rely on one person or department to identify the solution, work as a team and encourage collaborative discussion with all employee levels.

Jul 7, 2015 – President/CEO

Do you really work at Intermatic? Revenues and profits have consistently been on the rise since the turnaround years of "08 and '09. Employment is growing too. Over a dozen new products have been ... More

3. Reemerging, New team and better direction

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spring Grove, IL

Pros

A couple years ago there was a real turnaround with new hires and a strong push towards innovating new products. Older products are still around, but there are developments into many new markets and much more updated technology. I've been able to have plenty of say in what I do, and management encourages new ideas. Friendly environment and co-workers are all willing to help out. Practically a new company since a few years ago, so I don't think the older comments apply from what I've seen and heard.

Cons

A little stuffy on warm days...

A dismal and depressing company culture

Pros

You won't have to fight traffic to make it out to Intermatic, the illustrious multifaceted jewel of Spring Grove, Illinois USA.

Cons

Intermatic is a company that fully deserves its obscurity. It's fitting that they reside in a hollowed-out shell of a structure that was largely vacated when the housing bubble burst in 2008. Management is elitist, unpleasant and unprofessional who act like they're slumming it by coming into work with the "common people". In a healthier economy that provided more employment choices, most non-management positions here would never attract any applicants.

Advice to Management

Clean out the current management and give people a reason to want to come into work rather than giving them the cold dreary dead-end opportunity this place currently represents

Great company prior to the 2008 recession, company barely survived and has gone downhill ever since.

Current Employee - Management in Spring Grove, IL

I have been working at Intermatic full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Agree with senior management no matter how wrong or off track they are and you will do great! Keep your opinions to yourself and don’t offer a different perspective or knowledge, it will be viewed as a threat at some level in the organization. The key is to get along with everyone and you will do fine. Great stepping stone company to work for while looking for a company with a professional staff that cultivates ideas and rewards creative and innovative thinking.

Cons

Don’t get caught up in the organizational drama. Moral is very low and everyone fears for their job, because of this most are looking for other employment. The company has no direction and relies heavily on an antiquated product line to sustain its existence. Everyone is expendable without notice and if you have a disagreement with a senior level manager, you have no chance of surviving. Senior level management is a tight circle that covers each other, all other management members are casualties of their business acumen.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people that work for you, they are on the front lines and know the business. Open up your inner circle and cultivate ideas and reward innovation. Base your relationship with your employees on trust and knowledge, not by popularity. Don’t change things for the sake of change, have a plan with real tangible objectives and execute professionally.

Nov 4, 2014 – President/CEO

“I am the CEO of Intermatic and I don’t believe that the opinion represented accurately reflects the culture in place at the company. Comments about low morale and job dissatisfaction simply aren’t ... More

Some Good People, but bad place to work

Former Employee - Marketing in Spring Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Marketing in Spring Grove, IL

I worked at Intermatic full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's so understaffed that by force you learn how to do lots of jobs.

Cons

Management is an old boys club Policies do not apply to everyone No appreciation for hard work They actually let 30% of the company go by stacking whit boxes in the corners of the rooms and then randomly calling people in to fire them.

Advice to Management

Get new blood in for upper management

Sep 23, 2014 – Vp hr

Company has reinvented itself as necessary to survive 120 years. Current VPs of Engineering and Marketing are female. Layoffs in 2008-2009 were necessary to keep the company operating. It was ... More

good while it lasted

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Spring Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Spring Grove, IL

Pros

Good, friendly atmosphere. Was close to home. Pay was reasonable. People were a tight knit, friendly community. Company was doing well when I first started.

Cons

A year into my employment, the company started consolidating and moving jobs to Mexico. People started get laid off every 6 months, every month, then about every 2 weeks. Morale went down quickly. Lifers lost their jobs. I was laid off also. By that time I was glad to be layed off it sucked coming to work everyday.

Advice to Management

You should be more aware of the hard workers at the company and less concerned about the money and growth of the company.

USED to be a great place to work...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spring Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spring Grove, IL

Pros

There used to be a lot of good reasons - Family owned, caring organization with a long average tenue for employees and a great family atmosphere. The most recent group of "change agents" destroyed all that.

Cons

Not knowing if they will be around in the next 24 months and whether your job will be moved to Mexico or Asia.

Advice to Management

More for the BOD - You let your relationships with customers deteriorate in the name of process improvements. You also slowed the flow of new products to a trickle and took away the flexibility to serve your customers. Shame on you!

the best days are gone and will never return

Former Employee - Former Employee in Spring Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Former Employee in Spring Grove, IL

Pros

If you happened to live near there, there may be benfits. If you had defects on your resume, you might have to work there. If the economy sucked completely and there were no other jobs, you might work there.

Cons

Company is in freefall collaps mode. Revenue is shrinking. People are getting layed off. Long standing product categories have failed.

Advice to Management

Stop reyling on your new leadership team... they are clueless. They never understood the company or how it worked. Fact is most of them have been fired. I wonder who they'll get to take up the sinking ship?

Excellent company

I have been working at Intermatic full-time

Pros

Friendly people in the workplace.

Cons

Hit hard times during the recession. It's picking up again.

RSS Feed </> Embed