Intermountain Healthcare

Updated August 28, 2014

3.7

Intermountain Healthcare President, CEO, and Trustee Charles W. Sorenson
Charles W. Sorenson

Pros
  • Work schedules are flexible and there's a good work/life balance (in 12 reviews)

• IHC really provides a positive work environment (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay for responsibility at staff levels (in 9 reviews)

• Because it is a non profit, salaries and benefits are not bad but are not great (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great benefits

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Fantastic benefits -- even a pension plan

Cons

Very rigid. There is a policy for everything, which often creates red tape for solving problems.

Job security and plenty of opportunities

Current Employee - CNA/Tech  in  Orem, UT
    Current Employee - CNA/Tech in Orem, UT

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people and a lot of opportunities to move around. Tuition reimbursement, good benefits and lots of free training/classes.

Cons

Pay is lower than what you would expect, but it may be because it's based in Utah where pay is low across the board.

Great Company

Current Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Provo, UT

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Strives for excellence, encourages teamwork, pushes for growth and improvement, rewards employees, and is not for profit

Cons

Doesn't pay the best, but they are competitive within the state of Utah. Utah as a whole does not pay RNs well.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to work for.

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Innovative company that seeks to find better ways of doing routine to complex processes.
    Mission Driven company that actually follows it's mission, vision, and values in most cases.
    Efficiency Minded company that looks for ways to save on cost to themselves and their patients.
    Very Professional way in which they do business with all clients and employees.

Cons

Discrepancies between Hospital and Clinic compensation.
    High levels of pay for people in administrative positions that don't add sufficient value to the organization.

Re-evaluate what you pay your Nurses. :)

Innovative, caring workplace

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Innovation for evidence-based medicine, rethinking the healthcare landscape; nonprofit organization; truly does operate by its values

Cons

Way too much work for the staff at times in the central office/strategic teams, not enough people to do what needs to be done to accommodate change

None, other than realize that sometimes in upper-middle management, relationships and progress seem to be more based on "who knows who" than on skills and ideas. This is endemic in corporate culture; wish Intermountain could escape this.

Solid company. Forward thinking management. Growing industry.

Current Employee - Senior Solutions Architect  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Solutions Architect in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Solid company. Forward thinking management. Growing industry. Good people.

Cons

Large bureaucracy. While salaries are a little lower than national average, they are still in line with the state and region.

None.

Great Company

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  West Valley City, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in West Valley City, UT

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great benefits and people to work with

Cons

Some groups have high pressure

Best Employer In The Country

Current Employee - Supply Chain  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Supply Chain in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Phenomenal culture
    - Outside the box thinking is encouraged
    - Transparent leadership with goals clearly outlined and achievable
    - Leadership that 'lives' their mission and vision
    - Company supported training and education allowing employees to improve competencies
    - Where else can you work knowing that you are part of making health care better at the local and national level?

Cons

- Positional bottlenecks can exist which limits advancement at times. When advancement requires a move to a position held by a long tenured employee, you can hit the flesh ceiling. Need non-linear progression paths in more roles
    - Pay is below national averages in non-clinical business related roles...although I list this as a con, I believe it is offset by working for such a great organization. When everyone wants to work at your organization, supply and demand forces weigh in and less pay can be the result. This in no way indicates that it is less fulfilling as a career however.

Keep doing what you are doing. Your employee base believes in you and I know that based on informational sessions your HR groups host, you believe in us as well and are frequently soliciting how we can help make it better.

I love IHC!

Current Employee - HIM Manager  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - HIM Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare full-time for more than a year

Pros

Career growth, down to earth upper management, and advancement. The facility I work for is awesome. Everyone is so friendly and the community feel of it is fantastic!

Cons

I have really enjoyed working for Intermountain Healthcare. They are a great employer, the pay is a little less being not-for-profit but the benefits make it worth it.

The benefits, environment and flexibility are incredible.

Current Employee - Financial Analyst  in  Ogden, UT
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Ogden, UT

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits are top notch!
    They are usually wiling to work around you (department dependant)
    They are always looking to improve

Cons

Not very competitive with their employee salaries and reward individuals for major achievements like a large cooperation instead of taking personal interest and invest

Invest more in your IT departments to get caught up with the growing technologies for all areas of practice

Worked for Intermountain Healthcare? Contribute to the Community!