Intermountain Healthcare Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

1. Pathology technician

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare part-time

Pros

Great benefit of being able to change jobs and still be working for the same company. ..this your benefits don't change

Cons

Compensation sends to be less than some of the other competitors in the area, and even the smaller businesses

2. RN

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Its a good company to work for when you're just starting out to get your experience. Most employees are amazing to work with and most supervisors are awesome. Overall it's a good working environment.

Cons

There's not a lot of advancement opportunities. Job security isn't the greatest. It feels like you have to stay where you are because they can just replace you with anyone. They pay lower than other states and because they are the main hospital system there and it keeps the wages lower.

Advice to Management

Pay more! If you want to keep quality people you need to give them a reason to stay. A lot of people come and get their experience and then move on to bigger and better things...give them a reason to stay.

3. Great Care

Pros

Honestly I have never had a problem with Intermountain. They always meet my needs.

Cons

I don't really have any cons

5. Coordinator

Pros

Employee benefits, employee incentive programs, good work atmosphere

Cons

Room for growth is not always available

6. Patient Service Representative

Current Employee - Patient Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Patient Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Incredible benefits, 401k AND free pension.

Cons

Entitled patients and it's hard to tell people no especially when we're here to help.

Advice to Management

Do your very best to recognize all employees, make everyone feel appreciated. In such a large business there is miscommunication and a lot of your employees feel like they've been lost in the shuffle.

7. Circulator nurse in operating room

Current Employee - Circulator RN in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Circulator RN in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Stability. I Always have work and can almost always pick up overtime when I need it. And the benefits are good.

Cons

Lowest paying company in the state as far as hospitals are concerned. The management doesn't respond well to problems when they are reported.

Advice to Management

Increase wages

8. Employee Focussed, but Below Avg Pay

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits like pension, 401K and medical insurance. Flexible and family oriented. Good on the job training and online training. Industry leader local and national.

Cons

Below average salary and wages compared to other similar state hospitals, resulting in high turnover. Below average knowledge rention due to high turnover. Some discrimination lacking females in higher level positions (Utah culture)

Advice to Management

Provide competitive salary and wages. This will result in retention of employees, which in turn will result in lower cost of on-boarding and training.

9. My experience at intermountain has been overall pleasant.

Current Employee - Registrar in Burley, ID
    Current Employee - Registrar in Burley, ID

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Growing company with the ability to transfer to different working departments.

Cons

You have to know people in order to "move up" in the company. They say they value team members with more experience but in all honesty it actually depends on who you know. I was denied full time after applying twice.

Advice to Management

More full time employees would be a better success within the company. There are too many PRN's and part timers all because the company doesn't want to spend the money providing the small benefits that come with being full time. Management needs to hire more diverse people. It is a Mormon-run company so if you're Mormon you'll get preference over someone who speaks Spanish and English willing to work any shift full time.

10. Things aren't always what they seem

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare part-time

Pros

There are jobs available.

Cons

This company claims to be many things. From an employee point of view the Work/Life balance is nonexistent. People are chastised for putting their family first. I am not talking about people who everyday let family life interfere with work, but who have legitimate needs to take care of family. Supervisors are poorly trained and are just a boss not a leader. IMH has values that are constantly instilled as important and priority except when a supervisor is not following them HR does little to deal with this. Because the culture in Utah is homogenous for the most part, I believe those in charge really believe the company is outstanding. It is part of the culture to just tow the line and do nothing to upset the status quo

Advice to Management

Be open to new ideas and not be afraid of reality.

11. Do not work in Supply Chain!!!

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've heard once out of the Supply Chain Organization (SCO) it's a great company to work for.

Cons

DO NOT WORK IN THE SCO!!! Management has absolutely no clue how to run the SCO. They paid to some organization to give them an award!! I'm not joking either!!

Advice to Management

Bring in more competent people to run the SCO. Fire all of management and start with a clean plate.

RSS Feed </> Embed