Intermountain Healthcare

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. Flexible company that values students working for them.

Current Employee - Housekeeper in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Housekeeper in Provo, UT

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was able to get internships and am also looking to advance my career here once i finish my degree. They value employees and want them to stay.

Cons

Living in Utah brings on a lot of challenges. There are so many people with degrees that getting the jobs you want can really be difficult.

Advice to Management

They do a great job with reaching out and giving advice to those looking to change thier paths. I would only say that it would be better if they actually had more mobility going around to allow different players to come into the company, or for others to move up.

2. Very good company

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare

Pros

Great work environment and benefits

Cons

I really can not complain

3. Great Company

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare

Pros

Values, people, culture, work-life balance and health/retirement benefits.

Cons

At market or lag market base pay

Advice to Management

Get rid of the pension and put it toward base pay (comp structure is geared toward long tenured staff, who are not going to leave anyway)

Not the same
    Place it used to be

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare

Pros

Good 401k and pension plan. Good PTO accrual. There used to be a lot more positive to say about this company.

Cons

Don't expect to be promoted unless you can kiss up to the boss at the right times. Managers hire their friends and who they want for the job despite experience, ability to do the job, and who the actual staff wanted. IHC has gone so far downhill that it isn't even recognizable anymore. Employees used to be so highly valued and now it feels as if we are pawns in their next move.
    Senior management, they are really out of touch with what the frontline staff really actually does. I never thought I'd feel this way after this much time for IHC.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Stop trying to suck every last dime of work out of your employees without compensation. Your already lower on the pay range. Be more present with hiring of middle management so hiring is more fair and less hiring of buddies.

6. PSR

Former Employee - PSR in Murray Condominium, UT
    Former Employee - PSR in Murray Condominium, UT

I worked at Intermountain Healthcare

Pros

Ok pay for the sometimes high stress

Cons

They do not care about the little guy

Advice to Management

Listen to the little guy instead of siding with your managers without all the facts. If your managers openly show favortism LISTEN when that complaint is brought to your attention instead of doing half an "investigation" then getting "rid" of that little guy because they complained but didn't see all the details.

Budget Manager

Former Employee - Budget Manager
    Former Employee - Budget Manager

I worked at Intermountain Healthcare full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Stable company with a pension (at least for now). Controls the Utah healthcare market due to their size. New and fresh facilities.

Cons

Horrible company if you are looking for upward growth. Leadership at all levels does a poor job at mentoring and growing new talent. Culturally, moving from one hospital/facility to another is discouraged. Annual increases are very poor. You hire in and wait until your manager retires so you can hopefully move up. The organization does a poor job at holding employees accountable for multiple poor decisions so mediocrity and underperformance is rampant. If you are a driven individual you will hate working here. If you are interested in healthcare, go to one of Intermountain's competitors (any of them) and your opportunities and experience will be endless.

Don't waste your time at IHC like I did...my biggest career regret (and I was there for a long time before I realized There was nowhere to grow).

Advice to Management

Management gets a "D". Always behind the curve on strategic decisions. They pat themselves on the back for a supply chain (10 years behind the competition) and health plans (fell into the health plans but they also risk being monopolistic). Management could care less about employees. They have lost touch. Dr. Sorenson is a nice and sharp individual but will only be there a few more years.

8. Stable

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare

Pros

Stable, Good Benefits, and great People

Cons

They will push and push to grow or decrease inefficiencies but rarely give more resources.

If leadership only cared to listen and value employees

Current Employee - Recruitment in Murray, UT
    Current Employee - Recruitment in Murray, UT

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, 401k, pension - but not worth career unhappiness and dissatisfaction

Cons

Leadership doesn't care about the employees who have believed in the company and its mission and have given their commitment for years. They don't provide opportunity for career growth and hire contract employees who don't know policy and best practices and think quantity over quality. They're hiring the worst people to provide care for patients. This contradicts the company's mission and healing commitments. This place is sinking and turnover and Gallup proves it. You can't voice your opinions without it affecting your job stability and growth. I don't want to be a patient or an employee for a company that is failing at what it says it stand for. The benefits don't beat the lack of care and value leadership has for its employees. Recruitment should be an example of best practices and following policies but it is just politricks and crooked leadership.

Advice to Management

Listen... To your employees and let them be heard and value their hard work. For a non-profit company, your acting like a for profit corporate monopoly.

10. Great culture of accountability, mutual respect, and innovation

Current Employee - Business in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Business in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone has a voice, leadership is well aligned on delivering on their commitments, transparency in interactions

Cons

Many decisions take potentially longer than they should. There is often a cross functional team approach to problems which can make a week long decision into a year long decision...however, this can also be a bit of a "pro" when multiple viewpoints are considered.

Advice to Management

Continue to do what you do, stay the course on your commitments. While we all realize that innovation and being a world class organization requires change, the speed of change is sometimes blowing people up...it has been a lot in the last two years...let's take some time to stabilize the changes already executed.

People complain about the pay, but the benefits and culture offset that in my mind...I'd rather work for a little less for a company I believe in than making more working for a company I didn't align culturally with. Best organization I have ever worked for, and it's not close.

11. Good institution to work for. Good benefits and pay.

Former Employee - Physician Assistant in Murray, UT
    Former Employee - Physician Assistant in Murray, UT

I worked at Intermountain Healthcare

Pros

Good pay; good benefits. Great co-workers

Cons

A few surgeons can be ridiculously perfectionist, demeaning, and demanding, as well as petty.

RSS Feed </> Embed