International Automotive Components

Add Photos

International Automotive Components President and CEO Jim Kamsickas

Jim Kamsickas

Worst career move ever, Stay away from Acoustics

Production Supervisor (Current Employee)
Southfield, MI

I have been working at International Automotive Components full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI'm writing a novel. Great ideas for how not to run a company. I guess a paycheck is a reason to work here, about it.

ConsI honestly don't know where to start. First of all, having talent, being smart, coming up with patentable ideas, being dedicated to the company, working hard, etc. has nothing to do with getting ahead at IAC. You're actually better off not possessing any of those things. You do not want to be a threat to anyone above you in IAC's work environment. Or even a threat to anyone on your same level for that matter. Stay low and out of sight. If you're an underachiever, IAC will be perfect for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementAnyone above low level manager, get out. Let some ethical people run the show so they can bring in decent talent.

A good place to start a career

Engineer (Current Employee)
Southfield, MI

I have been working at International Automotive Components full-time for less than a year

ProsTheres opportunities to advance vertically or horizontally. Promotions are very possible, lot of exposure and good experience. Company is growing.

ConsSme people are not very friendly, but overall not much negatives, pay could be better but it's a good place to start

Downhill from here

Production Operator (Former Employee)
Sheboygan, WI

I worked at International Automotive Components full-time for more than 10 years

ProsWe did get a severence package.

ConsThey lied to us about closing the plant.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo away!

Not the best job unless you are a manager

Prefer Not to Say (Current Employee)
Alma, MI

I have been working at International Automotive Components full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThey pay better than other places, mostly because of the union. Honestly I am overpaid for my job, that is the only reason I have stayed there so long (although I only have a few weeks left as of this writing).
They offer decent benefits, also because of the union.
The factories are clean, and I am sure there are worse places to work.

Conslittle ability to turn down overtime even if you have family obligations.
frequent forced weekend work, but you will never see a manager in their above a supervisor on a Saturday unless they have come in to wave at you.
overzealous use of creating a sense of urgency to get people to motivate employees (overuse of the word "Hot Job").
Too hostile of a work environment.
They promise promotions in order to motivate employees but fail to deliver. (2 years I have been waiting my promotion, and nearly every month they promise it to me).
They hire people with high skills but do not have the equipment or parts to utilize them properly.
They insist they want things done right or properly, complain when things are cobbled, but you often have no choice to cobble as they fail to keep adequate parts on hand. They insist the press/mold/plastic parts are "Hot" and they need them running, so you are forced to cobble if you are in the maintenance or tooling department to keep things running.
High hourly and lower level salary employee turn over.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees more.
Stop with the "Continuous Improvement" as you cannot change things around every 3 months and expect employees to perform optimally when they have to constantly learn where things are moved to.
Invest money in the machinery rather than the beautification of the facility.
Invest money in training technical employees, and improve hiring standards to find employees who are a better match to the company.
Recognize that employees have a life too.
Come in on weekends when you make the hourly staff work.
Stop degrading some of your best employees by asking them what are they good for if for some reason they are unable to fix something.

My employment began with promise & excitement & very quickly turned to misery from undue stress and an incompetent boss.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at International Automotive Components full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere are some strong leaders and great employees to work with. If you work there, hopefully you find yourself in a good situation.

ConsThere are some bad leaders and the culture and morale in my area was very bad.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you are not competent in something that falls under your scope of responsibility, become competent. Also, treat your direct reports with appreciative respect, especially if they are doing your work and helping to make you look good....even helping you to keep your job.

An enjoyable place to work and grow.

Production Supervisor (Current Employee)
Mendon, MI

I have been working at International Automotive Components as a contractor for less than a year

ProsSome of the best wages in the area. There is a good sense of job security. Staff has a genuine respect and appreciation for management.

ConsIt is a union shop so sometimes getting things implemented or set in place can be hard to do.

Decent place to start your career

Engineer I (Current Employee)
Southfield, MI

I have been working at International Automotive Components full-time for more than a year

Prosopen door management policy. tuition reimbursement, can move around within the company

Conspay is mediocre, not much training provided,

Advice to Senior ManagementAdhere to your "no ego no politics policy"

Do not treat employees with very little respect.Believe this should be the only life they have.

FORK TRUCK DRIVER (Current Employee)
Greencastle, IN

ProsNot a lot of good to say about this company.

ConsToo much overtime ,Company union not employees,No respect for the hard workers,Does not want to fix things right , just fix to make do. Cafe food cost too much and not even good.The union supports the loffers and the supervisiors put more on the harder workers. Could go on .

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen your eyes and get rid of the lazy workers and Supervisiors. Make and effort to appreciate the people that help make that company stay afloat and that does not meamn the supervisiors. I THINK THE CEO NEEDS TO GO UNDERCOVER to see who really does the work there.

Intern

Accounts Payable Intern (Current Employee)
Plymouth, MI

I have been working at International Automotive Components as an intern for more than 3 years

ProsFlexible Management, Friendly work environment, growing company. IAC has done a great job with its intern program and has been an industry leader in this regard

ConsIAC has a capacity issue that will force its headquarter relocation sooner or later.
There is alot of uncertainty within the executive department

Advice to Senior ManagementIntegrate all of the departments under one roof. Focus on grwoing content in non core business

it is a job

Wauseon, OH

I have been working at International Automotive Components

Prosi am able to supply my family a roof over there head and good benfits

Consmanagement needs to listen to the people and not just blow them off we are the ones that do the jobs not them so we know how things run and dont run

Advice to Senior Managementfix the tools and mean what you say just dont tell us what you think we want to hear we are people just like you

Worked for International Automotive Components? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at International Automotive Components reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for International Automotive Components CEO Jim Kamsickas. All 31 reviews posted anonymously by International Automotive Components employees.