International Baccalaureate

Be The First To
Add Photos

International Baccalaureate Director General Siva Kumari

Siva Kumari

Good employer with excellent benefits

Bethesda, MD

ProsGenerous benefits (leave, insurance, retirement) with caring and dedicated co-workers. Great office location.

ConsThe biggest challenge is the organization has outgrown its systems and rather than upgrade them in an organized, well planned way there is a lot of disorganized projects that are causing frustration among employees and stakeholders. Hopefully soon these projects will start to show some results soon.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet the technology right. Provide more training to staff on the new systems. Keep the benefits as is, best draw for working at the IB.

Fine arts work study program

ProsLots of college credits that can help

ConsLots of homework and late nights

I loved every minute of it

Finance Associate (Former Employee)
    Bethesda, MD

ProsGood people, team building activities,xmas parties and generous pay.

ConsDon't count on a big raise and since its an international company,some people do not speak and cultures may clash..rarely but there are some weirdos

Advice to Senior ManagementShare some of that Directors money as a raise to employees

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

International Baccalaureate

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsIB has an amazing Mission Statement and the teachers at the IB Schools live that statement in the way they teach. There were great travel opportunities and learning experiences.

ConsThere is not really any room for advancement if you do not have a teaching background. It's a non-profit so the pay is not high. Management tended to play favorites.

mixed feelings

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosmetro accessible, great new office space, several smaller conference rooms to be used by anyone, coffee, milk, etc provided, worthwhile mission, some travel opportunities, depending on your job, some great people to work with

Consover worked, underpaid, wearing too many hats, not much focus on career development, organization constantly changing and in flux, virtually non existent IT support, few prospects for career advancement

Advice to Senior Managementemployees are burning out too quickly, new and old alike

Great team, but overall happiness and satisfaction with the organization is deteriorating.

Executive Assistant (Current Employee)
    Bethesda, MD

ProsAwesome office space - the layout and style is very European so it's a nice atmosphere. My personal experience was enhanced because of my former boss and team. Can't guarantee that for most of the other teams. Our department was very close-knit and our director had our best interests in mind, unlike many other directors and their employees.

ConsSenior staff has some sort of disconnect with the rest of the organization. Ideas and motives are very self-driven, and they seem to think that they are executives of some high level company and carry themselves as though they think they are very important. News alert: this is an education nonprofit. There has been a ton of turnover since I left in June of 2012 - former colleagues in friends who I've kept in touch with have all expressed their unhappiness and dissatisfaction with the organization and where it's going. There's no opportunity for growth in positions. Your job title will stay the same, but job description will get bigger and they will add more and more work to your plate but with no incentives or added benefits.

An inspiring organization that really promotes internationalism and global, cultural understanding.

ProsA highly international environment that offers opportunities to get to know people from all over the world. As an intern at IB, you are given plenty of chances to work independently on extensive tasks.

ConsThere is a strong sense of hierarchy that somewhat inhibits and limits the extent of internal communications. Workload balance can be a bit heavy at times.

The best place to work

Administrator (Former Employee)
    Cardiff, Wales (UK)

ProsTeam support. Benefits. Environment. I wish my English should be more than perfect to have the confidence to achieve a better role.

ConsA bit of more training in terms of understanding the different departments, and to make us grow intellectually inside the Organization. Specially with the minority ethnic employes.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo matter where we come from we all need the space and time to learn. When they begun working with this great Organization was not easy, and as well they need time to adapt and learn the step by step of the organization in the same way a lot of people who like me wished a bit more of support and patience to accomplish and give the potential existing in me.

Great people with heart for quality education for our future generations

School Liaison Officer (Former Employee)
    Singapore (Singapore)

ProsMeaningful and global work for the benefit of future generations. Fantastic educational framework that prepares children and young people for life against which employees become very well aligned if they are not already familiar with the system themselves.

Many opportunities to travel and meet people from everywhere with the same passion.

ConsLimited career prospects if you have not been an educator prior to this. A not-for-profit meaning pay is on the low side.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more career development for officers on the operational side that are not directly involved in the educational policy aspect of the business so as to retain those that are passionate about the mission.

Working at the IB

Governance Support Coordinator (Current Employee)
    Geneva (Switzerland)

ProsThe IB is a great place to work. The atmosphere is wonderful, as co-workers are very friendly and motivated. This is made possible by the relationship between the Board, management and staff - working towards a common goal. The whole organisation is structured around the IB Mission of aiming "to create a better world through education". And considering the responsibility that the organisation has towards its stakeholders, the organisation allows for innovation and its proactive in terms of "what to deliver"; "who to deliver to", and "how to deliver". This calls for careful planning with the input from all. What I personally like about the IB is its mission and especially its commitment to Social Responsibility with the aim of improving the quality of life of the IB staff, all stakeholders and society at large: what better way to improve the well-being of mankind than through education - encouraging "students across the world to become active, compassionate and lifelong learners who understand that other people, with their differences, can also be right."

ConsSince the global centers are spread out in five cities, it does not allow for a lot of face to face interaction. However, the set-up of the organisation makes up for this.

Worked for International Baccalaureate? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at International Baccalaureate reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for International Baccalaureate CEO Siva Kumari. All 22 reviews posted anonymously by International Baccalaureate employees.