www.ibo.org

Siva Kumari

A great experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I worked at International Baccalaureate full-time (more than an year)

Pros

As a graduate of the program, I was excited to join and contribute to an organization I was already passionate about. This led me to be more excited than perhaps I would have been coming to the company from no perspective; however, that being said, it is a truly inspiring mission, and the enthusiasm is contagious.

Cons

I personally was involved in a very new, developing department that saw a lot of transition. This made getting things finalized and set up a little frustrating at times, but no more or less than any other normal company. This was also a few years ago, so things could have changed since then.

I remember Siva being incredibly attentive to employees and very receptive to feedback -- I'm happy to see she has stepped up and taken over as CEO.

Current employee, almost 4 years

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at International Baccalaureate full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of interesting people in the office and other global offices. Very international culture. Three main offices are in Bethesda, The Hague, and Singapore. Many positions get the opportunity to travel frequently. The org has been doing a lot better with internal promotions and growth opportunities over the last year or two - they probably heard enough complaints about this previously. Benefits are nice compared to other us non-govt employers (free health insurance, flexible schedules, lots of paid leave)

Cons

Growing too fast for its own good. Not able to keep up systems (it) and something is always being transitioned or in need of work. It seems like a lot of the same discussions / projects are being undertaken across the rapidly expanding organization and sometimes seems like no progress is being made or that we are chasing our tails.

Your experience as an employee depends heavily on your department and line manager. Their are great ones and bad ones. Senior management favors some departments heads over others quite a bit.

I don't believe most of our executives are bad people, and they have been making efforts to connect with staff more in recent years. That said, it seems like some of them forget this is an education non profit with the way they carry themselves. I think we'd all be a lot happier if they took half their salaries and distributed it amongst the rest of the staff - and they'd still be doing quite well for non profit executives...

Good employer with excellent benefits

I have been working at International Baccalaureate full-time

Pros

Generous benefits (leave, insurance, retirement) with caring and dedicated co-workers. Great office location.

Cons

The biggest challenge is the organization has outgrown its systems and rather than upgrade them in an organized, well planned way there is a lot of disorganized projects that are causing frustration among employees and stakeholders. Hopefully soon these projects will start to show some results soon.

Get the technology right. Provide more training to staff on the new systems. Keep the benefits as is, best draw for working at the IB.

Fine arts work study program

I have been working at International Baccalaureate

Pros

Lots of college credits that can help

Cons

Lots of homework and late nights

I loved every minute of it

Former Employee - Finance Associate in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Finance Associate in Bethesda, MD

I worked at International Baccalaureate full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good people, team building activities,xmas parties and generous pay.

Cons

Don't count on a big raise and since its an international company,some people do not speak and cultures may clash..rarely but there are some weirdos

Share some of that Directors money as a raise to employees

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at International Baccalaureate full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

IB has an amazing Mission Statement and the teachers at the IB Schools live that statement in the way they teach. There were great travel opportunities and learning experiences.

Cons

There is not really any room for advancement if you do not have a teaching background. It's a non-profit so the pay is not high. Management tended to play favorites.

mixed feelings

I worked at International Baccalaureate full-time

Pros

metro accessible, great new office space, several smaller conference rooms to be used by anyone, coffee, milk, etc provided, worthwhile mission, some travel opportunities, depending on your job, some great people to work with

Cons

over worked, underpaid, wearing too many hats, not much focus on career development, organization constantly changing and in flux, virtually non existent IT support, few prospects for career advancement

employees are burning out too quickly, new and old alike

Great team, but overall happiness and satisfaction with the organization is deteriorating.

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at International Baccalaureate full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Awesome office space - the layout and style is very European so it's a nice atmosphere. My personal experience was enhanced because of my former boss and team. Can't guarantee that for most of the other teams. Our department was very close-knit and our director had our best interests in mind, unlike many other directors and their employees.

Cons

Senior staff has some sort of disconnect with the rest of the organization. Ideas and motives are very self-driven, and they seem to think that they are executives of some high level company and carry themselves as though they think they are very important. News alert: this is an education nonprofit. There has been a ton of turnover since I left in June of 2012 - former colleagues in friends who I've kept in touch with have all expressed their unhappiness and dissatisfaction with the organization and where it's going. There's no opportunity for growth in positions. Your job title will stay the same, but job description will get bigger and they will add more and more work to your plate but with no incentives or added benefits.

An inspiring organization that really promotes internationalism and global, cultural understanding.

I have been working at International Baccalaureate as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

A highly international environment that offers opportunities to get to know people from all over the world. As an intern at IB, you are given plenty of chances to work independently on extensive tasks.

Cons

There is a strong sense of hierarchy that somewhat inhibits and limits the extent of internal communications. Workload balance can be a bit heavy at times.

The best place to work

Former Employee - Administrator in Cardiff, Wales (UK)
    Former Employee - Administrator in Cardiff, Wales (UK)

I worked at International Baccalaureate as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Team support. Benefits. Environment. I wish my English should be more than perfect to have the confidence to achieve a better role.

Cons

A bit of more training in terms of understanding the different departments, and to make us grow intellectually inside the Organization. Specially with the minority ethnic employes.

No matter where we come from we all need the space and time to learn. When they begun working with this great Organization was not easy, and as well they need time to adapt and learn the step by step of the organization in the same way a lot of people who like me wished a bit more of support and patience to accomplish and give the potential existing in me.