International Crisis Group

View from the bottom

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at International Crisis Group as an intern

Pros

You'll mostly meet fantastic people who are smart, professional and can teach you a lot about the real world of international affairs. If you work in an office with a relatively flat hierarchy, as I did, there are invaluable opportunities to contribute research and writing.

Cons

Interns earn a tiny stipend. I was lucky enough to be able to work for free for a few months but this isn't something everyone can afford to do.

Few opportunities to move into full time positions. The organization is 20 percent interns from what I understand.

Small office means atmosphere and style is dominated by the head of the office (can be good or bad depending on their working style and personality, just FYI.)

Poor Leadership

I have been working at International Crisis Group (less than a year)

Pros

Good learning experience; contributing to meaningful work

Cons

Leadership is resistant to change, lack of teamwork, low pay, poor organizational strategy

I have been working at International Crisis Group as an intern

Pros

International Crisis Group is a great place to learn new skills. There are lots of opportunities to network and attend events related to international affairs. There are plenty of opportunity to learn if you are willing. You have the opportunity to work with people who are passionate about they do.

Cons

The workload is hit or miss. You either have nothing to do or staying late to finish all the work you were assigned.

Excellent place for an internship...2+ years ago

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at International Crisis Group as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

There were several opportunities for growth at the D.C. office when I interned, from writing and researching for staff to meeting many of the central players in the international development field. Staff seemed interested in my growth and development and have kept in contact with me once I left.

Cons

As an intern the expectations were set somewhat low. It took a bit to convince senior staff that I could handle more than basic research and filing.

Dedicated staff but organization seems to be at odds with itself

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at International Crisis Group full-time

Pros

Good mission, strong departmental group cohesion at staffer-level, very good benefits package. Ability to develop a broad range of skills and manage many diverse responsibilities

Cons

support departments are understaffed and under resourced. Management is disconnected from the needs of the organization beyond report writing. Too much siloing breeds us against them tribe mentality. Pay on the low end of average.

pay better attention to what your staff needs to get their jobs done. cultivate a better work/life balance to reduce turnover. make all departments feel appreciated and essential to the mission

What used to be a great organisation is on a steep decline due to management dysfunction and poor morale.

I have been working at International Crisis Group full-time

Pros

Staff in the field are allowed more independence, creativity and probably also media exposure than one would be in a comparable organisation. Professional growth is possible if one can ignore headquarters (difficult to do).

Cons

Management is extremely poor with the organisation arguably having become entirely dysfunctional over the last two years. Many of the best staff have left. Others are planning their departures. Low morale has been an increasingly serious problem during the last year in particular. In 2013 the organisation had a budget crisis that was very badly handled -- with no transparency and very little staff participation. Managers had almost no say in who from their own teams would be dismissed. The disconnect between headquarters and the field -- an understandable characteristic of any field-based organisation -- is pushed to the extreme in the case of ICG. Anyone considering applying for a position there should first speak with 2-3 current staff members.

Management needs to be entirely rethought; it would likely take new management to actually save the organisation.

In a sad state of decline

Former Employee - Vice President Level in Brussels (Belgium)

I worked at International Crisis Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Once an amazing organization, now ruined by incompetent management

Cons

Dismal management headed by Louise Arbour, a Canadian judge who knows nothing about how to run an organization or about conflict. A terrible record of financial crises and internal squabbling while she concentrated power in a little clique of UN people around her. Worst possible strategy of managing … organization is now in terminal decline.

Sack Louise Arbour and her group of sociopaths

Sadly no longer somewhere anyone would want to work

Former Employee - Vice President Level in Brussels (Belgium)

I worked at International Crisis Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great mission, some great colleagues

Cons

Catastrophically poor management has led to a financial collapse, massive lay offs, the eradication of two major programs in Europe and Asia. Management is focused on a tiny self-interested clique who act in a personal vindictive manner towards anyone who expresses any dissent. Louise Arbour, a supposed liberal lion, is actually secretive, authoritarian, barely versed in international issues and incapable of inspiring staff.

Louise Arbour should go. Only way to solve the problem.

Great internship to pad my resume.

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at International Crisis Group as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Looks good on my resume.

Cons

I didn't really learn anything.