International Crisis Group

Updated Jan 19, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Louise Arbour

If you want to work for an organization doing great work in the area of conflict resolution, this is the place for you.

I have been working at International Crisis Group as an intern

ProsInternational Crisis Group is a great place to learn new skills. There are lots of opportunities to network and attend events related to international affairs. There are plenty of opportunity to learn if you are willing. You have the opportunity to work with people who are passionate about they do.

ConsThe workload is hit or miss. You either have nothing to do or staying late to finish all the work you were assigned.

Excellent place for an internship...2+ years ago

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at International Crisis Group as an intern for less than a year

ProsThere were several opportunities for growth at the D.C. office when I interned, from writing and researching for staff to meeting many of the central players in the international development field. Staff seemed interested in my growth and development and have kept in contact with me once I left.

ConsAs an intern the expectations were set somewhat low. It took a bit to convince senior staff that I could handle more than basic research and filing.

Dedicated staff but organization seems to be at odds with itself

New York, NY

I have been working at International Crisis Group full-time

ProsGood mission, strong departmental group cohesion at staffer-level, very good benefits package. Ability to develop a broad range of skills and manage many diverse responsibilities

Conssupport departments are understaffed and under resourced. Management is disconnected from the needs of the organization beyond report writing. Too much siloing breeds us against them tribe mentality. Pay on the low end of average.

Advice to Senior Managementpay better attention to what your staff needs to get their jobs done. cultivate a better work/life balance to reduce turnover. make all departments feel appreciated and essential to the mission

What used to be a great organisation is on a steep decline due to management dysfunction and poor morale.

I have been working at International Crisis Group full-time

ProsStaff in the field are allowed more independence, creativity and probably also media exposure than one would be in a comparable organisation. Professional growth is possible if one can ignore headquarters (difficult to do).

ConsManagement is extremely poor with the organisation arguably having become entirely dysfunctional over the last two years. Many of the best staff have left. Others are planning their departures. Low morale has been an increasingly serious problem during the last year in particular. In 2013 the organisation had a budget crisis that was very badly handled -- with no transparency and very little staff participation. Managers had almost no say in who from their own teams would be dismissed. The disconnect between headquarters and the field -- an understandable characteristic of any field-based organisation -- is pushed to the extreme in the case of ICG. Anyone considering applying for a position there should first speak with 2-3 current staff members.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to be entirely rethought; it would likely take new management to actually save the organisation.

In a sad state of decline

Vice President Level (Former Employee)
Brussels (Belgium)

I worked at International Crisis Group full-time for more than 5 years

ProsOnce an amazing organization, now ruined by incompetent management

ConsDismal management headed by Louise Arbour, a Canadian judge who knows nothing about how to run an organization or about conflict. A terrible record of financial crises and internal squabbling while she concentrated power in a little clique of UN people around her. Worst possible strategy of managing … organization is now in terminal decline.

Advice to Senior ManagementSack Louise Arbour and her group of sociopaths

Sadly no longer somewhere anyone would want to work

Vice President Level (Former Employee)
Brussels (Belgium)

I worked at International Crisis Group full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat mission, some great colleagues

ConsCatastrophically poor management has led to a financial collapse, massive lay offs, the eradication of two major programs in Europe and Asia. Management is focused on a tiny self-interested clique who act in a personal vindictive manner towards anyone who expresses any dissent. Louise Arbour, a supposed liberal lion, is actually secretive, authoritarian, barely versed in international issues and incapable of inspiring staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementLouise Arbour should go. Only way to solve the problem.

Great internship to pad my resume.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at International Crisis Group as an intern for less than a year

ProsLooks good on my resume.

ConsI didn't really learn anything.

Worked for International Crisis Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at International Crisis Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for International Crisis Group CEO Louise Arbour. All 7 reviews posted anonymously by International Crisis Group employees.