International Game Technology

International Game Technology Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

International Game Technology CEO Patti S. Hart

Patti S. Hart

Pros
  • Acceptable work-life balance if you work in the right department(in 16 reviews)

• Helped pay for college, good benefits, gym and cafeteria on site, great people(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • I left after upper management decided to start recording phone calls and text messages(in 30 reviews)

• The senior management is a joke, with most of them coming from non-gaming industries(in 17 reviews)

Spin

Online Game Artist (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsCool coworkers, relaxed environment, feeding the staff ever few days.
    Good pay.

ConsTracking and recording your work seemed to take longer than the work itself.
    Not sure what, if anything some middle management is working on.
    The products are for gambling.

I dont like

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsIt is not a positive work environment, bad leadership, dying business model, no answers on how to turn things around. Many very smart people left the company earlier this year which resulted in much knowledge walking out the door. I can think of a few "rock star" types in particular -known around town as best in what they do or did- who were not utilized properly here or were put in wrong position and not surprising they left. No doubt they will add proper value for a competitor eventually. Sense of giving up + hanging around to see what happens after company is sold dominates the tone. Also there is constant reorganization which hinders traction and progress.

ConsVery odd management group with a lot of hand-picked and unqualified directors and vice presidents making huge decisions, often from remote locations. several of these people who are making $300K+ are working from home. there is hostility from management if you are a "gaming industry" person, they seem to dislike people with this knowledge, which is very strange and ironic. Beyond this internal issues, there is the elephant-in-the room which is that the slot machine is a buggy-whip product that is becoming less popular and less relevant every day. if you look at a slot machine doesnt it look like a 30 year old thing? people under 50 for the most part have zero interest in this product -- which is a big problem. The company also relies too heavily on a dated model of licensing old movies and tv shows for content -- this strategy is 30 years old and was good in the 90s but now everyone does it and players dont care and casino operators dont want it anymore, it makes their nice floors look tacky. there is something about going to wynn for example .. if you see some wheel of fortune machine it just looks out of place (tacky vs classy of wynn atmosphere) .. Young people -- how are we going to get them to gamble? There is ZERO thought on this big subject, which is shocking -- the company strategy seems to be hoping the 60-70 year old woman will not age. Executives dont walk casino floors, they dont play the slots machines either. i dont think they like them either! I guess they dont care because they know they will not be long term involved with IGT. if you are an employee or own stock you think different but they dont care. IGT is what happens when management and stock holder have interests not in line. I think this company is doomed.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of hardware business, become a software company and grow beyond gambling games to more video game style company across media platforms. And get with newer technology, it is amazing how old the technology is at a company with technology in its name (for now anyway). I also agree that spending millions of dollars on a logo which no one cares about was stupid given the timing. They will lose me soon also.

A Sad Shadow of a Once Great Company--Run!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Reno, NV

ProsBack in the Tom Baker days there was a teamwork and a soul and the company CARED about the employees. Unfortunately, those days are long gone. Now it is just more pay and benefit cuts and layoffs. The timing of the merger is probably pretty good.

ConsLack of integrity in the pay system. Nothing like blowing away your performance targets, only to have the company renege on paying to play the "bad year" card. The variable pay system is arbitrary and not clearly spelled out, so that they can avoid paying you. No transparency, if you do ____ you get ______ is how it should work, but it doesn't..

The products aren't very good with the star creative game development talent migrating to the competitors Generally were replaced with new college graduates This became a minor league feeder for the other gaming companies.

The company has botched the people side.

The 401k program is one of the worst in any corporation.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocusing on employee nepotism policies while IGT is losing market share and slipping on game development and sales shows that you are disconnected. Out of the top 100 issues in the company, this is not one of them.

The only reason this company didn't make the top 10 worst companies in the US is that there weren't enough reviews.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great boss and great teammates

ProsWorking at IGT is very rewarding. My boss here at IGT is great. I feel I am valued and my opinion works. I am not micro-managed and my work is challenging. I personally have a very fast paced job and I continue to learn here.

ConsChange is hard for some people and that can cause some negative feelings about the company from some of my colleagues. I personally do ok with change but I can see some people do struggle with it. I also think it is easy to point fingers for issues but sometimes my colleagues have a hard time accepting responsibility for their own impact to the situation. It can be hard to listen to at times. Instead of pointing out problems, more people should come to the table with solutions.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore transparency is needed, clearer messaging on corporate strategy and cut dead weight/people not pulling their weight or those bringing down morale with bad attitudes.

It could be curtains for all of us!!

ProsGood Hours, Good People, Reasonable Pay

ConsManagement, Bad Decisions, Layoffs, Shady Business, Patti hart

Advice to Senior ManagementWe just finished another round of layoffs and BAM! we get news today that the company might be sold and that Morgan Stanley has been hired to help with the sale. Apparently it has been in the works for 2 months and just became public information today because many financial news stories advised on why the stock was rising. I am sure that more people will be let go and that Patti hart will get her Million Dollar Bonus on the way out......time to abandon ship!!!!

Poorly Run Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Reno, NV

ProsFun industry; Growing industry; Qualified employees, up to middle management...

ConsPoorly run; unqualified executive team, has lead to the company being up for sale

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace CEO.

IGT was a great company at one time.

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Reno, NV

ProsHelped pay for college, good benefits, gym and cafeteria on site, great people.

ConsBig company, no flexibility anymore, everyone nervous about their job, bad feeling at office.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the people who have the knowledge of what they do. Work with them to fix the issues of the company.

Great job but outlook is unknown

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prospay was great always something different never boring

Conssince 2008 layoffs yearly thing making you worry no rises benefits taken away yearly workload rose despite lack of workers really sad for such a good job and good people to work with.

Advice to Senior Managementhard to say

Keep laying off these imbeciles so it will be job security for me.

ProsAwesome salary. Excellent benefits including 401k and vacation. Greatest part is the company is continuing to layoff people in my division. That's job security for me because at some point, I will be the only one in my department that will be left to do the job.

ConsThere are still people in my department that still need to go. Management needs to layoff these people or put them under a Performance Improvement Plan and evidently fire them.

Advice to Senior ManagementI see no problem with what Senior Management is doing. Look around, some 7-11's are run by less then 3 people in a franchise.

IGT is a good compnay with great people.

ProsIGT has great people to work with, lots of opportunity for growth.

ConsUnfortunatly many question the motives of our top Executives.

Worked for International Game Technology? Contribute to the Community!