International Game Technology

International Game Technology Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

International Game Technology CEO Patti S. Hart

Patti S. Hart

Pros:
  • "I am happy with the work/life balance they offer"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Some good benefits and some nice people"
    in 17 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management seemed to have no idea what they were doing"
    in 23 reviews
  • "Senior management has been investing in a lot of HR processes but not in innovation"
    in 14 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

ICE-BERG SINKING THE SHIP

Game Developer (Former Employee)

I worked at International Game Technology for more than 8 years

Prosactually they have really good health benefits, ill give them that.

ConsWorst CEO in USA. Cold, dark and sad work atmosphere. Tired, scared, defeated workforce. IGT doesn't care about employees, the execs just care about themselves.

Incompetent C-Levels -- totally clueless. One dumb decision after the next. Think they can fire their way out of trouble. Very hostile toward employees. Everyone in my department has left or is aggressively job searching. Nepotism and cronyism abound. If you are more qualified than your boss you're a threat and will be terminated.

This place is going down fast. Stay away.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing ... you will get what you deserve.

Keep laying off the worthless middle management

Software Engineer III (Current Employee)
Reno, NV

I have been working at International Game Technology full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCompensation can be good, but only if you are big suck-up to management.
Reasonable benefits and vacation plans.

ConsTalented, innovative engineers need not apply. Being an innovative employee will get you laid off. Middle management only keeps employees that can't get a job anywhere else, because those employees are not a threat to middle management's own positions. Improving your job skills will also get you laid off. Most of the middle management was picked on how good they are sucking up to the next level of management and are completely incompetent. They protect their own positions religiously because they know they cannot get another job anywhere else.
If you are a really good suck up to middle management, you also don't have to know anything and can be paid a high compensation to do nothing all day.
Being a clueless suck-up at IGT puts you on the fast track to promotion.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave the dept. management start behaving like they are start up companies and prove they are worth keeping around. Pick a project and make the management produce the project themselves. If they cannot produce the project without the help of rank and file employees, lay them off like they like to do rank and file employees.
Keep laying off worthless management.

Nothing but good things to say

I have been working at International Game Technology full-time

ProsThe executives that I deal with are very transparent, and have been nothing but supportive.

ConsWe have had a few organizational changes while I've worked here, but I do feel that my managers have always been fair to those in their span of control.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue on. C level management sometimes does not comprehend the impacts on the front line (I guess as with most large companies).

Employees are smart and hard working.

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Las Vegas, NV

ProsVariety of games keep it from being boring.

ConsConstant fear of restructuring and layoffs

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to join in the work and not just sit in offices barking orders and work past 5pm once in a while.

Hear Its Tense Times at IGT

Game Designer (Former Employee)

I worked at International Game Technology full-time for more than 5 years

Proslike others say, the rank-n-file people are good for the most part. lots of great designers who are talented and passionate about making cool games. pay is good for low cost of living town like Reno.

Conslike others say, the odd propaganda, low morale, leadership, constant reorganizing, and finger pointing have this once leading company in a state of decline. the game studios have been a big mess for a few years. it would be good to have a gaming industry expert with an awesome track record in charge of that stuff. it takes too long for people from other industries to figure out the uniqueness of the business IGT is in. or i am totally off and the humans who run the place are as awesome as the birds nesting in the great tree just outside the great window of the great building near the great lake tahoe. perhaps reality will dawn in soon.

Advice to Senior Managementcommunication is lacking at IGT. the leadership seems to lack the industry experience to know how to plug the ship's many holes. as the industry itself is transforming, bloated companies like IGT will continue to decline as tons of competitors pop up all over the world. the once significant barriers to entry have come down and IGT has been somewhat exposed. they can turn it around but it will require radically changing the core of the company, weeding out a lot of the deadweight and making a lot of tough decisions -- while smart, communicative, honest and transparent with the workforce.

Average company to work for (but should recognize employees more)

South San Francisco, CA

ProsBig company that has been around for a while
land based, online, social gaming

ConsPoor Management
Lack of accountability and shared goals within different teams
Turnover

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize your employees
Consult with people before making decisions
Why is there always a hire freeze - when are we ever going to replace all the employees we keep losing?

Great Start, slow decline.

Lower Management (Current Employee)
Las Vegas, NV

ProsThe best reason use to be the benefits and "extra's". The current reason is a steady job that brings in enough to barely pay the bills.

ConsLack of internal promotions. Cut costs down to make the job more difficult to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more. Learn who know's the business that you oversee and use their knowledge and talent.

Good Intentions

Solutions Architect (Former Employee)

I worked at International Game Technology full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat people to work with. Directors vision is great.

ConsTwo steps forward 10 steps back. Great minds, great ideas....no alignment throughout departments

Advice to Senior ManagementProject managers should be in place for each department to act as center point of contact. Director's vision can only work if communicated properly. Managers are fighting internally because of lack in communication.

Lucky to be here.

Reno, NV

I have been working at International Game Technology full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNo single person can speak for a company this big. I see and read the negative comments and I am not without empathy. However, I left for a while, it is tough out there. It is extremely difficult to find any job, let alone a good or great job.
I was lucky to get my foot back in the door and the department in which I am employed happens to be amazing. We have clear goals and concise leadership and I look forward to coming here everyday and working with my team and our partners.
Many problems we face are being faced by other companies, all across the country.
We all need to step it up.
I am sorry if you do not like it here, but you will not bring me down.

ConsSure there are some problems and concerns. Again, these problems are happening in many companies, but on an individual basis there just might be something that you can do to make it better.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf I had any good advice for someone who is qualified to to be a Manager, V.P. or CEO, I guess I would apply for one of those positions so that I could make more money and advance my career.
Working on it. Not there yet.

Work smart, hard, and be positive to be successful.

I have been working at International Game Technology full-time

ProsI am happy with the work/life balance they offer. You can work hard and still stay close to a 40 hr week. They take the time to understand your strengths and weaknesses, and try to give you work geared towards your strengths.

ConsThere is a current scare of layoffs, but regardless, any corporation needs excellent employees to keep their business going. As long as you put yourself in that category, you have nothing to worry about. How do you do this? Refer to the title of this review.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to communicate with your employees, and do not keep them in the dark regarding big decisions. The bad attitudes should be the first to go because they drain the energy of the employees around them, and take away from productivity.

Worked for International Game Technology? Contribute to the Community!

International Game Technology Videos

International Game Technology – Why Work for Us?

IGT is the global leader in the design, development, and manufacturing of computerized gaming machines and network systems products as well as online and mobile gaming solutions for regulated markets. Our industry is… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at International Game Technology reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for International Game Technology CEO Patti S. Hart. All 207 reviews posted anonymously by International Game Technology employees.