International Game Technology

International Game Technology Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

International Game Technology CEO Patti S. Hart

Patti S. Hart

Pros
  • Acceptable work-life balance if you work in the right department(in 16 reviews)

• Helped pay for college, good benefits, gym and cafeteria on site, great people(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • I left after upper management decided to start recording phone calls and text messages(in 30 reviews)

• The senior management is a joke, with most of them coming from non-gaming industries(in 17 reviews)

I Didn't think it could get worse, but now sinking faster with no hope.

Individual Contributor (Current Employee) Reno, NV

ProsFair compensation, good hours, some benefits still left for now.

ConsAdvancement is not based on performance, good or bad. Managers rarely have expertise broud enough to evaluate their reports fairly, so it becomes a bottom kissing festival. Current climate is dismal, and will continue sinking until regime change.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust pack it up and leave- please. You failed to negotiate a constricting gaming climate over several years, you failed to bring vision to an eager and ready workforce, you failed to make the case for your exorbitant compensation. You failed. Failed. Failed. Please stop the damage by leaving-now!

Used to be so proud to work for IGT...

Business Process Analyst (Current Employee) Reno, NV

ProsIf you're in the right team, management can be outstanding, though this can vary from team to team. The cash-sharing bonus system is outstanding. Great benefits via insurance and 401K company matching program.

ConsRecent economic conditions have caused the company to reduce employee headcount. There does not seem to be a solid strategic plan for getting the company back on a profitable footing. I would not recommend for anyone to take a job OR a promotion at IGT until the company shows good profits again. In the most recent round of layoffs, the first ones out were the last ones in (or who had been recently promoted up). In light of these events, I feel that I need to move to another company in order to expand my skill set or look for growth opportunities.

Advice to Senior Management1. Align the budget expenditures to the sales forecast in a more effective way. Why do we spend millions on rebranding and then layoff 7% of the workforce 9 months later? Why do we spend millions on travel and on-location presence when we have the technology to work remotely? The forecast should have clearly indicated that these expenditures couldn't be supported. ROIs should be done for every non-critical expenditure.
    2. Wasteful spending should be audited and eliminated in EVERY team. The efforts to improve efficiencies and reduce waste over recent years only seemed to have been directed at the Manufacturing floor. Engineering and development teams don't appear to have the same expectations.

CEO bad decisions

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt was the long time employees

ConsCEO concerned only about her position and market perception. She makes decisions for the market and not what is best for the company. Quarterly view vs. long term. She does not value industry knowledge, and she has stacked the BOD. Company in decline.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to board.... Get a new CEO

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Decent company with serious problems

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsThe people that work there are very knowledgeable and good at their jobs.

ConsThe morale there was awful. You had to jump through a lot of hoops to get promoted; a lot of employees were at low levels for a very long time (level 1 or 2). There seemed to be a lot of layoffs, but a new vice president was hired every other month or so. Upper management seemed to have no idea what they were doing.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess layoffs, more money sharing with the worker bees. Maybe take a class on how to actually improve morale rather than telling employees that they're lucky to even have a job.

15 Years

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Reno, NV

ProsLocal area management treats their employees extremely well using every resource available to advance their careers.

ConsSenior Management has no interest in sharing the success of the company with non-executive staff. The executive staff consistently ignores the advice of industry veterans and trust their high paid academics.

Advice to Senior ManagementConcentrate on your core competency.

Wheels coming off ...

Coordinator (Current Employee) Reno, NV

ProsWas a good experience .. hope it means something on a resume still.

ConsReputation is sinking faster than the ship. Exec team has heads in sand. Patti Hart working on $30m parachute on top of $8m / yr salary, while BOD gets a raise a week before 350 layoffs followed by a round of odd firings.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo!

Amazing company but layoffs are frequent

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosamazing work-life balance, great people, great environment, plenty of room to grow, annual raises, 4.62 hours of DTO per paycheck

Conslayoffs happen often and affect all areas of the business

Great Company

Supervisor (Former Employee)

ProsSomething different everyday never boring.

ConsLimited advancement opportunities in a remote office.

Crashing and burning

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Reno, NV

ProsThe best things about working for IGT are the coworkers and the work life balance. The non-management and even lower management people are some of the best people to work with, they are knowledgeable, helpful and decent people. The work life balance is good to great, depending on team.

ConsThe worst things about IGT are the CEO, the upper management, and the lack of career advancement opportunities. The layoffs have been routine, and now dozens of good employees have been all fired for possessing a list of people laid off after the fact, generated from information internally accessible to everyone. These people all lost their jobs over an offense no sane person would think was wrong, since you could easily tell who was laid off and who wasn't by walking through the halls, checking internal IM or email. The directive to fire everyone involved came from the CEO directly and both middle management and team leads had no idea their employees were even missing from their desk until after the fact. With all the layoffs and wanton firings, no employee has a chance for promotion or career advancement when keeping your job is such an unknown.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is no advice upper management would heed. This ship is sinking and those of us still here will likely be the unlucky ones in the end. The CEO has shown a complete disregard for the worker bees and the company will vanish from underneath her pedestal.

Really sad.

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Reno, NV

ProsCo-workers - I would never have stayed so long without great teammates and management up to the VP level. Decent pay for the area, but not compared to other locations. Depending on the department, flexible schedules were possible. Generally family friendly except for overtime.

ConsTop management makes arbitrary decisions that have seriously hurt the company, both in the short and long term. Our department worked crazy overtime for multiple years in an effort to modernize the product and process and to keep up with our competitors. It felt like management wanted it (and the company) to fail.

Other reviews referring to layoffs and firings are very accurate. The company integrity policy (that we were constantly reminded of) felt amazingly hypocritical.

It was very difficult to get promotions for newer hires (hurting retention) and recruiting was already hard. Everything from facilities to IT seemed stacked against getting things done. Employee benefits had degraded significantly.

I sold my stock. I am encouraging the best coworkers to leave as soon as possible. I hope the worst of what's happened comes out publicly.

It is definitely not the same company as when I joined, and that's really sad.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf they don't listen to even their good VPs and fire employees who raise issues, I don't think any advice here will make a difference.

Worked for International Game Technology? Contribute to the Community!