International Game Technology Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.3
Marco Sala

Pros
  • I am happy with the work/life balance they offer (in 21 reviews)

• Some good benefits and some nice people (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has run this company into the ground (in 32 reviews)

• Senior Management has no interest in sharing the success of the company with non-executive staff (in 18 reviews)

1. Getting better....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at International Game Technology full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- IGT being acquired by GTECH. New management is interested in growing the company again.
    - New senior management is setting strategy and making decisions.
    - The people are generally good at their jobs and easy to work with.

Cons

- Hoping that most of the cons left with old senior management when IGT was acquired by GTECH.

Advice to Management

N/A. All new senior management after IGT was acquired. So far they seem pretty good.

2. Cons outweigh Pros working at IGT - Specifically in the Accounting Dept

Former Employee - Accounting Department in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Accounting Department in Reno, NV

I worked at International Game Technology (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cafe and gym is a great asset of IGT

Some really nice and smart people work there

Depending on which department you are in, work life balance is great

Cons

Department work is very uneven. You have some departments working all the time and a ton of overtime, while other departments barely have enough to keep employees busy during the day (Mgmt is very strick on not allowing cross department help, they rather you sit there with nothing to do all day then help the other departments who are swamped)

Pay in the accounting department is very sub par, people leave all the time for higher better paying jobs

There are some people in certain groups that have no idea what or why they are doing, their response is "this is how I was told to do it, but I don't know why or what I am doing"

Not being able to be promoted without a degree, even if you have years of experience. IGT is very big on degrees, certifications, etc. when the work that actually occurs there, anyone could do (with or without a degree)

Upper Mgmt does not walk the talk - they do not treat employees well or acknowledges hard work, they also play favorites and do not handle HR issues (they avoid them because its to much work)

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, appreciate them and reward those that work hard. Make sure supervisors and management follow through with HR issues, if someone ask for stuff to do, give them stuff or let them go home (hence salaried employees - if you are all done with your work, you should be able to leave). Treat all departments equally

3. IGT has been a pleasant place to work for me

Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Sparks, NV
    Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Sparks, NV

I have been working at International Game Technology full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They have good pay scale, excellent benefits, and strong work life balance.

Cons

They're currently going through a merger, so down sizing is a real concern.

5. ok'ish

Former Employee - Firmware Engineer in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Firmware Engineer in Reno, NV

I worked at International Game Technology full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really like the south Reno location. Benefits and salary were alright. People working there were generally nice.

Cons

Management was an old boys club seemed to favor the status quo over any sense of progressive thinking. Anyone questioning development direction was fired.

Advice to Management

I don't think there's any advice I could give that would be taken by management.

The exception, not the rule.

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Reno, NV

I have been working at International Game Technology (More than a year)

Pros

Work to life balance is great. Keep allowing employees to choose when and how they work. It allows for them to maintain a sense of agency.

Cons

While my current group allows me to choose how/when I work and they recognize that they have to let go some of the time, I feel strongly that we are an isolated case and it is not the norm.

Gone Downhill

I have been working at International Game Technology

Pros

Was a great company to work for pre-2009

Cons

new management has different philosophies

Advice to Management

pay attention to loyal and talented employees

8. Management is a Joke

Current Employee - Operations in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Operations in Reno, NV

I have been working at International Game Technology full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Many hard working laymen who are kind and generous to their co-workers

Cons

Management is a joke. They say...come talk to me anytime if you have questions but what they are really saying is don't bother me, I am too important. What is said in confidents does not stay confidential...Shame on those supervisors and managers who are taking that path. If a manager likes you and you suck up to them, chances are you will be safe. Layoffs are going around again and will eventually touch every department which creates a walk with you back against the wall attitude. The back stabbing has begun...

Advice to Management

Start with Fresh Managers. A department of less than 20 does not need a manager and two supervisors to run 12-17 people. Use that money on the real workers.

Old school structure, the longer you work there, the better you're paid

Current Employee - Technical Trainer in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Technical Trainer in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at International Game Technology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility. I work from home and rarely hear from my boss.

Cons

I rarely hear from my boss. There is no leadership and it seems the only way to get ahead in this company is through years spent. It doesn't matter if you have more knowledge than the rest or get more accomplished. It matters either that you spent more time doing it or that you spent more time pointing out to everyone that you've done it.

Advice to Management

Spend the time to understand what your employees strengths are and work on those. Don't hold everyone's had all the time, they will thank you for it.

Once a great place to work, now, not so much

Former Employee - Product Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at International Game Technology full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Generally good pay, some great people to work with, some very good technical people to be around.

Cons

Management, management, management, management, management, management, management, management, management, management, management, management, management, management, management, management, management, management, management, management, management, management, management, management, management, management.

Advice to Management

You already ran a once good company into the ground and sold it to a lottery company from Europe, you've already done all the damage you can do. Good thing you are all leaving once the sale closes.

11. Waiting for our merger/acquisition.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

Pros

IGT is a pretty good place to work, for the most part. Like any big company, in my experience, it depends a lot on who your immediate manager is.
    We are all waiting to see how our pending acquisition goes.

Cons

Uncertainty about the future, silos, budget constraints, nothing too extreme in this day and age. Our revenues have declined steadily over the past few years so that exacerbates all of the above.

Advice to Management

Share the wealth.

RSS Feed </> Embed