International Game Technology

Updated September 13, 2014
2.4

International Game Technology CEO Patti S. Hart
Patti S. Hart

Pros
  • Acceptable work-life balance if you work in the right department (in 16 reviews)

• Helped pay for college, good benefits, gym and cafeteria on site, great people (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • I left after upper management decided to start recording phone calls and text messages (in 30 reviews)

• The senior management is a joke, with most of them coming from non-gaming industries (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

A great company on the downward slope

Former Employee - Integration Engineer  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Integration Engineer in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at International Game Technology full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great co workers, and a solid group of professionals focused on doing a good job. Generally a good work life balance, and most line managers understand the push / pull of daily life.

Cons

Many of the best employees have left for greener pastures. Upper Management is horribly out of touch with little reward for going above and beyond. Creating an environment of just getting by.

Try to focus on your talent and retain up and comers not just the seasoned has beens

Training

Current Employee - Online Course Developer III  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Online Course Developer III in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at International Game Technology full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great opportunities, decent benefits, ability to start at the bottom and work your way to the top.

Cons

Currently being bought out by overseas company. Nobody knows what is going to happen.

Share information as soon as possible.

Never enough "Chiefs"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

I worked at International Game Technology full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some really great ppl there. Extremely talented. Some even passionate.

Good benefits. Free coffee.

Cons

Some really painfully unqualified ppl there. And lot of ppl who are just coasting in their careers. Others seem seem to have their own itinerary realized if they whine enough. "I wanna be a Manager!" "I wanna be a Manager!" "I wanna be a MANAGER!" If you're lucky enough to work on a high-visibility project (even tho your contribution was minimal or a liability), your career trajectory will be phenomenal!

Pls stop adding layers of Middle Management to the sandwich. Why would you need an add'l Manager between the Artist and Art/Creative Director?

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Plenty of work to do to create a prosperous environment, but efforts underway.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at International Game Technology full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are plenty of opportunities at the Seattle DoubleDown office to expand your skill set, become an industry expert, and be part of a diverse growing team. Some of the benefits are quite nice; lunch, organic and healthy foods, nice working space and proximity to transit. Some of the new management team is strong.

Cons

There is still some legacy bad will towards the parent company here. Many are slow to change and some of the management seems to have a hard time making decisions. Some of the benefits are sub-par; health care is expensive, for example. Compensation at start is reasonable, but employees that have been there for some time would say that the company falls short on their bonus program, stock grants, and compensation adjustments.

Make sure all of your executive team is listening. Some clearly are, and the teams moral is reflected in that. Others on the management team have a hard time making decisions that cause more turmoil amongst the regular employes. Second bit of advice would be to directly empower the staff. All of the right tools are in place at DDI to do this, but management doesn't seem to regularly take advantage of this.

...it is what it is

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at International Game Technology part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

great people to work with

Cons

who you know keeps you there

communicate honestly with your team members

IGT in a nutshell

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Reno, NV

I have been working at International Game Technology full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

It was a good company to work for 10 years ago. Company used to offer good bonuses and there were no layoffs. You do your job right and you will not lose it due to budget cuts. Friendly environment, people work in close knitt groups and are also willing to help members across the groups.

Cons

Past 6 years layoffs happen at random and too frequently. You could be on top of your game and still lose your job.
    Bonuses shrank, contribution to health care went up. Raises are dismal. Top heavy company

Trim the top and retain your workers who have many years of experience and a solid rapport with IGT's customers.

A company on the decline

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer  in  Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Reno, NV

I worked at International Game Technology full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good co-workers
    High tech environment
    Great location with Tahoe beaches and ski resorts nearby
    Reno is a pretty neat place to live

Cons

Bad CEO/board
    Doesn't keep promises
    Fires employees and changes policies to cover for it
    More and more good employees are leaving

Good employees can make or break a business, don't forget to treat them like human beings.

Not the Company I had hope for.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Las Vegas, NM
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NM

I have been working at International Game Technology full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work is challenging and is nice to have a cafeteria on campus.

Cons

Having to earn sick time in conjunction with vacation time is unfortunate and challenging. Ever since I started we have been under staffed; and with layoffs seeming to be a way of doing business there is no sense of job security.

This once great company is flagging reviews and having them removed.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Reno, NV

I worked at International Game Technology full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people I had direct contact with were great. There were a lot of very smart and talented people there with many years of industry experience. The pay was pretty good.

Cons

The company is flagging negative reviews and having them removed. Read this while you can, I'm sure it will be gone within a week if they get their way. The problem, of course, is that the reviews they're trying to remove are the honest ones that tend to be persuasive.

Now to the cons... First, a significant percentage of the "rock star" people left. Some were laid off, some just left in search of better opportunities. Upper management has become worse over time, with the majority of Vice Presidents being nothing more than generi-stooges. These are the people who say the same things and do the same basic tasks no matter what company they're employed with, all the while twisting things around to their maximum personal benefit. Upper management is filled with vultures who swarm in to rip apart the meager remains of what was once a fantastic company.

There was a time when the company really did share its profits with the employees. Anyone who was there more than 7 or 8 years remembers cash sharing, the slot auctions, the winter parties, the Wild Waters days, and the common half-days before long weekends. The company pushed hard, and there was occasionally a lot of overtime, but they earned it. There was a mutual respect, and it's the first time in my career when I felt loyal to a company. I owed them my very best because that's what they offered to me in return.

Those days are over. The company is a sad shadow of what it once was. Upper management is filled with clueless executives who have no idea how to run a gaming company. This is why the smaller competitors like Konami and Aristocrat are stealing so much market share; they're on their way up while IGT is in free-fall. Executive management expect more overtime from their employees than the company has ever expected in the past, with their reasoning being "if you don't like it, go find another job. You owe us overtime because we employ you." As you can imagine, morale is in the toilet. People spend long hours sitting in their chairs, but there's not a lot of work getting done anymore and that competitive spirit that invigorated everyone is dead. There's no spark left, there's no real innovation, and it's saddening to see benefits evaporating while the company shifts the glory up the chain to the VP's and executives.

I would not recommend this company to anyone I cared about. Some places can poison you; they can kill the passion you once had for your career. Take it from an industry veteran: For your own benefit and well-being, avoid places like this like the plague. Do not spend hours of your life toiling for something that doesn't care about you or your life. Life is short, keep the passion, find what you love. If you don't love it, set yourself free and dare to dream.

IGT was once one of the best places I've ever had the pleasure to work. You guys ruined it. If you're not as mean or incompetent as I think you are, then please take a look at the things the company used to do. I don't mean spending gobs of cash on the employees, I mean listening to your employees and valuing them both as professionals and human beings. Don't bang the "you have to work overtime" gong for months and then later get mad at them when they need to leave early to pick their kid up for a doctor's appointment. Stop playing games, stop treating your employees like a bunch of incompetent school-children, and stop lying to your employees. Right now, you are fostering an attitude of "us versus them" - that's good when it's used as in "IGT versus the competition", but right now it means "employees versus management". Your company is dysfunctional. Admit that there is a problem, and take steps to fix it.

Unless, of course, you plan to cash out and leave as soon as GTECH takes over. In that case, I have nothing left to say other than, "Please, do the world a favor and retire. Don't do this to another great company somewhere else."

A very sick company with a very sick CEO.

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Engineer in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

Free coffee, a few good employees.

Cons

The CEO and her cronies have never cared about the well being of this company or its employees, their only interest has been to manipulate numbers on paper at the expense of innovation and employee benefits, for their own personal benefit.

Employee non-compete agreement confusion

At a recent all hands meeting to discuss the acquisition, err, merger with GTECH, the CEO admitted that she was not focused on innovation due to the nature of our small time wall street investors who were only concerned with quarter to quarter results.
    Investing in innovation was not on the agenda if it did not payoff in the next quarter.
    When asked if existing employee non-compete agreements would still be in place after the buyout, the CEO said current non-compete agreements would expire upon execution of the GTECH acquisition and that new non-compete agreements would need to be executed.
    Employees who later asked IGT legal and HR to confirm this, were told that the CEO never said this, it was heresay. They would not confirm that the non-compete agreements would expire as the CEO had publicly stated they would.
    Despite the confusion and concern, neither the CEO nor her management has issued a clarification.

Retention Bonus

The CEO gets a $3.2M retention bonus for seeing the GTECH merger through to completion or failure.
    This is in addition to the benefits she receives upon execution of 'Change of Control' as described in the 2014 IGT proxy statement.
    So, why should the CEO need a retention bonus considering the Change of Control benefits she will reap when the deal goes through ?

Employees have been told that there will be no RSU grants this year (typically 10+% of salary), instead employees have been offered a 'Retention Bonus'. The bonus amount is strictly based on level, typically 3% of salary.
    How can this possibly be considered a retention bonus ?

Annual Bonus

Employees have been warned that there may not be an annual bonus this year due to poor performance.
    I'll bet the CEO gets a nice bonus regardless.

Is GTECH sale in best interest of shareholders?

Scientific Games (SG) recently held an all hands meeting at WMS where the CEO commented that they had been in acquisition talks with IGT. Allegedly they were considering a $6B offer to buy IGT but the IGT CEO was asking for a $50M bonus and retention of some of her cronies. Allegedly, SG didn't want the current IGT CEO or her management team and moved on.

In a nutshell

The CEO is a looter and a modern day carpetbagger in every sense of the word (look it up).
    She has taken advantage of an unfortunate situation and bled the company dry for her own personal benefit.
    She has never created or built anything in her career, yet, has damaged the careers and success of those who have.
    She has destroyed IGT and profited from it, all the while claiming success.
    The only consolation I can take from this is to know that she is universally despised both within and without IGT.

I don't know what GTECH expects to do with the carcass that remains, perhaps there is enough left for a watery stew ? There is not much else.

None, you only understand $$$.

Worked for International Game Technology? Contribute to the Community!