International Game Technology

Updated January 21, 2015
2.5

International Game Technology CEO Patti S. Hart
Patti S. Hart

Pros
  • Good benefits and flexible schedules for work life balance (in 21 reviews)

• Helped pay for college, good benefits, gym and cafeteria on site, great people (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management of the company don't understand the industry nor regulatory issues (in 32 reviews)

• The senior management is a joke, with most of them coming from non-gaming industries (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company if top management left.

I have been working at International Game Technology

Pros

They are flexible. Lower level management is friendly.

Cons

Departments don't work together close enough.

Pull together the different parts of the company. Stop backtracking on promises.

good company to work for easy life.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at International Game Technology

Pros

An easy job, but .easy to get time off. salary up about 2-3% per year. not good but not too bad.

Cons

hard to get promotion, medical benefit is very high price low quality. management is not fair.

Internship Experience

Current Employee - Intern in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Intern in Reno, NV

I have been working at International Game Technology as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The work was varied and allowed room for learning and experimenting. The work atmosphere was relaxed, which allowed a flexible time schedule and no strict dress code.

Cons

I was often tasked with menial and labor jobs such as assembly, hole punching, and other tasks of the sort. I sometimes ran out of work

An excellent adventure with the expected up's and downs of working in a corporate environment.

Current Employee - Systems Engineer
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer

I have been working at International Game Technology full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Fantastic opportunities to become whatever you want to be in the technology and corporate world.

Cons

As of the time of this writing the company is being acquired by GTECH and as with any acquisition there is job uncertainty. Hopefully things will continue to make positive strides for the lively hood of the current/future employees and shareholders of NewCo .

Continue to respect and value employees as individuals/people who have personal and family lives outside of work. Take into account how decisions affect your employees. All this while performing the delicate dance to keep shareholders happy as well. Not an easy task but an absolute must for success!

It is ok

Current Employee - Hardware Engineer in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Hardware Engineer in Reno, NV

Pros

Very lay back, pay is OK and lots of very nice people. Life work balance is very good, this is what I like the most.

Cons

We have lost the mojo, it is not clear where are we going and people don't challenge the status quo, so it is boring most of the time, there are a lot of opportunities for improvement but upper management does not know where to lay the eggs.

Hire managers that are poised with streamlining all processes, we have way too many people doing non-value added activities. Focus on eliminating or reducing the tribal knowledge and work on operating standard procedures and training so we can reduce the confusion and be more productive.

Business Analyst

Current Employee - Business Analyst II in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Business Analyst II in Reno, NV

I have been working at International Game Technology

Pros

Love the company culture, love the boss, very easy going,

Cons

pay doesn't go up easily....growth is super slow

please recognize the employees that work hard and push their growth up

Do NOT Come Here

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at International Game Technology full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Upper management is getting large bonuses for navigating the buyout.

Cons

Initech would be a better place to work than here. Morale is gone, benefits are getting cut, company keeps shifting more and more of the health care burden on to the employees, and the management is by far the worst I've ever worked for.

I moved here from the Bay Area. I love Reno, it's a great city to live and work in. But this company is a dysfunctional joke with a total lack of vision, innovation, or challenge. The only people I work with are unmotivated and demoralized shells who dread coming to work every morning.

Some hope for better days under new management, but given that much of the existing management structure will still be in place after the merger I have serious doubts.

Stop coming to job fairs at colleges and universities. You're doing young people a great disservice by getting them to come work for you. You guys should be ashamed of yourselves for the horrible job you've done.

Don't do it

I have been working at International Game Technology

Pros

It's a big company getting smaller

Cons

Terrible management at best. Very little pay raise, if any. Managers with no real direction. Because of poor management, the company makes money due to it is a gaming company, but with such poor management skills, they continue to lay off good workers to keep their own bonuses good for end of the fiscal year. They practice 'stream lining' everything because of the constant lay offs you are having to juggle way too many jobs at once, hence getting burnt out and eventually failing, which management wants, to give them a reason to lay you off next. There is very little room to grow unless management likes you enough to push you ahead, not that you are a good worker.

Have management revaluated, especially any Directors, Managers, and Supervisors in the Route Department in Las Vegas. They are the worst people to work with, work for, and be associated on all levels.

Old Culture in a New World

Current Employee - Engineering in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Engineering in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at International Game Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers are amiable for the most part. Work life balance is good.

Cons

So many layers of middle management, impossible to advance or get a raise unless you throw people under the bus. A lot of people that are calling the shots are out of touch. CEO is corrupt, and her away status reaches days in triple digits. Reno HQ has an odd superiority complex.

Try to thin yourselves, too many channels need to be consulted when we want something as simple as a hard drive. (It took me 2 years.) You have talented people eager to do much more, but there absolutely no incentives to work harder than what is needed. Old methods that worked in the 80's don't work now, change your scope and your courses of action. The newer generation of employees aren't moved by fear, and will find employment elsewhere.

In the right departments it's a good place to work.

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Reno, NV

I worked at International Game Technology full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good Work-Life Balance on powder days many people take a half day or come in late, Tuition reimbursement, OK Intellectual Property bonuses, will pay for and for outside training regularly

Cons

Hard to advance which is often blamed on lack of funding to promote then behind giving promotions to those that deserve it first, recent declines in benefits, blame culture (although it is getting better), industry has hard times ahead,

Be careful about becoming competitors with our clients, keep reducing the blame culture while improving on giving promotions and merit increase when they are due and you'll lose fewer talented people.

International Game Technology Photos