International Game Technology Reviews

Updated August 25, 2014

2.4

International Game Technology CEO Patti S. Hart
Patti S. Hart

Pros
  • Acceptable work-life balance if you work in the right department (in 16 reviews)

• Helped pay for college, good benefits, gym and cafeteria on site, great people (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • I left after upper management decided to start recording phone calls and text messages (in 30 reviews)

• The senior management is a joke, with most of them coming from non-gaming industries (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Place to work

I have been working at International Game Technology

Pros

Lot to learn and explore

Cons

Not many cons that i can mention

No advice to the management

...it is what it is

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at International Game Technology part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

great people to work with

Cons

who you know keeps you there

communicate honestly with your team members

Good company to park at as you look for or transition to other opportunities.

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at International Game Technology full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company offered a good work and life balance. The SF office is situated in a great location within the San Francisco tech community. Lots of tech meetups within walking distance.

Cons

Co-workers do not have a passion for technology. Technologically the company is slow to embrace modern web technologies.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Was great, but not anymore!

Former Employee - Account Administrator  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Account Administrator in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at International Game Technology full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people and the pay.

Cons

Upper mgt in it for the $$ and don't care about the workers.

Get rid of Patti Hart.

This once great company is flagging reviews and having them removed.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Reno, NV

I worked at International Game Technology full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people I had direct contact with were great. There were a lot of very smart and talented people there with many years of industry experience. The pay was pretty good.

Cons

The company is flagging negative reviews and having them removed. Read this while you can, I'm sure it will be gone within a week if they get their way. The problem, of course, is that the reviews they're trying to remove are the honest ones that tend to be persuasive.

Now to the cons... First, a significant percentage of the "rock star" people left. Some were laid off, some just left in search of better opportunities. Upper management has become worse over time, with the majority of Vice Presidents being nothing more than generi-stooges. These are the people who say the same things and do the same basic tasks no matter what company they're employed with, all the while twisting things around to their maximum personal benefit. Upper management is filled with vultures who swarm in to rip apart the meager remains of what was once a fantastic company.

There was a time when the company really did share its profits with the employees. Anyone who was there more than 7 or 8 years remembers cash sharing, the slot auctions, the winter parties, the Wild Waters days, and the common half-days before long weekends. The company pushed hard, and there was occasionally a lot of overtime, but they earned it. There was a mutual respect, and it's the first time in my career when I felt loyal to a company. I owed them my very best because that's what they offered to me in return.

Those days are over. The company is a sad shadow of what it once was. Upper management is filled with clueless executives who have no idea how to run a gaming company. This is why the smaller competitors like Konami and Aristocrat are stealing so much market share; they're on their way up while IGT is in free-fall. Executive management expect more overtime from their employees than the company has ever expected in the past, with their reasoning being "if you don't like it, go find another job. You owe us overtime because we employ you." As you can imagine, morale is in the toilet. People spend long hours sitting in their chairs, but there's not a lot of work getting done anymore and that competitive spirit that invigorated everyone is dead. There's no spark left, there's no real innovation, and it's saddening to see benefits evaporating while the company shifts the glory up the chain to the VP's and executives.

I would not recommend this company to anyone I cared about. Some places can poison you; they can kill the passion you once had for your career. Take it from an industry veteran: For your own benefit and well-being, avoid places like this like the plague. Do not spend hours of your life toiling for something that doesn't care about you or your life. Life is short, keep the passion, find what you love. If you don't love it, set yourself free and dare to dream.

IGT was once one of the best places I've ever had the pleasure to work. You guys ruined it. If you're not as mean or incompetent as I think you are, then please take a look at the things the company used to do. I don't mean spending gobs of cash on the employees, I mean listening to your employees and valuing them both as professionals and human beings. Don't bang the "you have to work overtime" gong for months and then later get mad at them when they need to leave early to pick their kid up for a doctor's appointment. Stop playing games, stop treating your employees like a bunch of incompetent school-children, and stop lying to your employees. Right now, you are fostering an attitude of "us versus them" - that's good when it's used as in "IGT versus the competition", but right now it means "employees versus management". Your company is dysfunctional. Admit that there is a problem, and take steps to fix it.

Unless, of course, you plan to cash out and leave as soon as GTECH takes over. In that case, I have nothing left to say other than, "Please, do the world a favor and retire. Don't do this to another great company somewhere else."

Best Tech company in Vegas

I worked at International Game Technology full-time

Pros

best technical company in Vegas area

Cons

Layoff threats, not getting the deserved promotion

Used to be great... now a life suck and stress-machine...

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at International Game Technology full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people I work with are awesome! Everyone is easy to work with, is helpful, is optimistic, and works hard. The office location is great!

Cons

While the office I work in is great, upper management has no clue what they are doing. The only thing they know how to do is arbitrarily cut valuable employees to "cut costs" and fudge a few extra numbers so they don't look as horrible to investors. Meanwhile the employees which are left have to pick up the slack of people that have been let go or have left for better opportunities with the expectation that all the deadlines are still to be met. But who cares about the employees or if the company will survive when you still get paid millions and have a golden parachute that would probably be enough for 10-20 people to retire on. I feel like if I worked somewhere and did as horrible of a job as our upper management does here, I would get fired, and probably sued, or maybe worse... Not here though. Here our upper management still gets to enjoy their huge paychecks and bonuses while flying first class while the company slowly implodes due to their decisions. If you do some research on the board of directors and previous companies our CEO has been at it will give you a good idea of what is going, what happened, and what the future holds for this company. Very sad to see such a great company be destroyed.

Go home... you're drunk?

Out of the Blue, Into the Suppression of Dissent

Current Employee - Sheriff of the Parking Lot  in  Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Sheriff of the Parking Lot in Reno, NV

I have been working at International Game Technology full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

hopefully the clowns are about the get back in their little car and take a long drive off a short pier.

Cons

As stated elsewhere, IGT currently lobbies Glassdoor to remove negative reviews; these are the truthful reviews that show you the real company -- that they don't want you to see. This management team has no idea how to run a company -- they are a total joke.

Suppressing negative reviews is the final straw. This company is the North Korea of American corporations. Check that, Kim Jong-un could probably run a better company.

"Good Place to Work" = FAKE REVIEW

Current Employee - Manager  in  Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Manager in Reno, NV

Pros

HR and PR departments are entertaining with their mind numbing / lazy / thoughtless propaganda tactics. Even they don't believe what they are ordered to do, as these pithy (look it up, HR hack) "reviews" well demonstrate.

Cons

The other reviews have it covered. To the person who wrote "Good Place to Work" with zero details -- congratulations on your worthless existence. Shame on you. You are actually a great representative of IGT and embody all of the trappings of working there. I hope you at least have the decency to recognize the irony boomerang when karma comes for you.

None, it's a good place to work apparently.

Sinking ship

Current Employee - Software Engineer III  in  Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Reno, NV

I have been working at International Game Technology full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Coworkers for the most part are good people.
    Compensation is competitive, especially considering the low(er) cost of living in Nevada as compared to California or other metropolitan areas.

Cons

The senior management is a joke, with most of them coming from non-gaming industries. Some key mistakes they have made: 1) moving the executive HQ to Las Vegas, while the operations center remains in Reno; 2) focusing operations to try and recover lost market share in over-saturated product markets like megajackpots and core gaming, whereas they should have focused operations on product markets with greater growth opportunity and less competition like video poker and international markets 3) supporting a conservative culture, where risk taking and change are frowned upon - surprisingly, this impacts executives more than employees, for example when new VP's are hired the expectation is that they should start changing things for the better (which is risky), but the culture frowns on this so many new executive hires are simply over-paid wallflowers that don't act out their changes.

Try innovating instead of layoffs. In the long run you will need innovative products to remain market leader. Layoffs are just a short-term band-aid.

Worked for International Game Technology? Contribute to the Community!