International Game Technology

International Game Technology Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

International Game Technology CEO Patti S. Hart

Patti S. Hart

Pros:
  • "I am happy with the work/life balance they offer"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Some good benefits and some nice people"
    in 17 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management seemed to have no idea what they were doing"
    in 23 reviews
  • "Senior management has been investing in a lot of HR processes but not in innovation"
    in 14 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great coworkers, total lack of vision by upper management.

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at International Game Technology full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWork with smart people.
Regular 40 hour work weeks unlike some other engineering jobs.
Decent benefits.
Free gym.

ConsLow Pay compared to similar positions in other companies.
No room for promotion.
No budget for raises.
Senior management is disconnected from day to day operations.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe current plan isn't working. Some serious research needs to be done on way our products are not having the same success as in the past and how to stop giving up our market share to the competition. The board of directors need to stop thinking short term and focus on improving the company long term. Also, find a CEO that knows gaming. Patti is not that CEO, it is time for her to go.

It is a living

I worked at International Game Technology

ProsIf in Reno, good employment in a wonderful area

Constough industry with a lot of employee unrest

Advice to Senior ManagementGood luck

Hardware yes software maybe

Software QA Engineer (Current Employee)
Reno, NV

I have been working at International Game Technology full-time for more than 10 years

ProsBiggest player in the market.

ConsSlow to respond to change

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of the way.

Used to be so proud to work for IGT...

Business Process Analyst (Current Employee)
Reno, NV

I have been working at International Game Technology full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIf you're in the right team, management can be outstanding, though this can vary from team to team. The cash-sharing bonus system is outstanding. Great benefits via insurance and 401K company matching program.

ConsRecent economic conditions have caused the company to reduce employee headcount. There does not seem to be a solid strategic plan for getting the company back on a profitable footing. I would not recommend for anyone to take a job OR a promotion at IGT until the company shows good profits again. In the most recent round of layoffs, the first ones out were the last ones in (or who had been recently promoted up). In light of these events, I feel that I need to move to another company in order to expand my skill set or look for growth opportunities.

Advice to Senior Management1. Align the budget expenditures to the sales forecast in a more effective way. Why do we spend millions on rebranding and then layoff 7% of the workforce 9 months later? Why do we spend millions on travel and on-location presence when we have the technology to work remotely? The forecast should have clearly indicated that these expenditures couldn't be supported. ROIs should be done for every non-critical expenditure.
2. Wasteful spending should be audited and eliminated in EVERY team. The efforts to improve efficiencies and reduce waste over recent years only seemed to have been directed at the Manufacturing floor. Engineering and development teams don't appear to have the same expectations.

CEO bad decisions

I worked at International Game Technology full-time

ProsIt was the long time employees

ConsCEO concerned only about her position and market perception. She makes decisions for the market and not what is best for the company. Quarterly view vs. long term. She does not value industry knowledge, and she has stacked the BOD. Company in decline.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to board.... Get a new CEO

Decent company with serious problems

Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at International Game Technology full-time

ProsThe people that work there are very knowledgeable and good at their jobs.

ConsThe morale there was awful. You had to jump through a lot of hoops to get promoted; a lot of employees were at low levels for a very long time (level 1 or 2). There seemed to be a lot of layoffs, but a new vice president was hired every other month or so. Upper management seemed to have no idea what they were doing.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess layoffs, more money sharing with the worker bees. Maybe take a class on how to actually improve morale rather than telling employees that they're lucky to even have a job.

Mechanical and Electrical Harness design, document verification and chack.

Designer (Current Employee)
Reno, NV

ProsWork environment is generally posotive, including company values and office culture. Time off policy and holiday pay are good.

ConsPromotions are non-existant. Patent incentives are gone (there used to be some). Working multiple different jobs after layoffs with no compensation for extra effort.

Advice to Senior ManagementLayoffs do not help a company in the long run, only in the short accounting phase representing the money spent. The same work left to fewer individuals will never be done with the same efficiency as was before; nothing is done with as much scrutiny when an individual is required to do multiple different jobs.

No longer an employee but still a shareholder..for now

Las Vegas, NV

I worked at International Game Technology full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI worked with very talented, hard-working people during my tenure at IGT. Honestly, my coworkers were the only reason I remained at this employer as long as I did. Other pros at IGT were the wellness programs (i.e. gym, yoga classes) and compensation/benefits although there were reductions in this area prior to my departure from the company.

ConsThe major con for me was working at a company who made the employees feel like they were valued to a company that made employees feel like they were just a means to "cost savings" by eliminating positions over an extended period of time. I have been away from IGT almost 3 years and it is sad to see that this is still a huge issue. Your workforce will not give you 100% if you do not provide as stable a work environment as possible. Employees want to feel respected and valued. Sadly, I saw that erode at IGT over the 5 years I worked there.

Advice to Senior ManagementAgain, I will emphasize that employees need to feel like they are respected, valued, and that someone in upper management is actually listening to them. Of course, businesses have to make decisions that may not be popular. But, if you communicate as openly as possible at least they will know why decisions were made. Please get out of the Ivory Tower and got out and speak with your employees. Let them give you ideas on how to save this once great company.

Treat employees better

Software QA (Former Employee)

I worked at International Game Technology full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCompetent people at the lower levels.
Good benefits.
Good work life balance.
Tuition reimbursement.
Good gym.
Reasonable cafeteria.
Health incentives.

ConsGrowth not encouraged.
 Upper management has no clue.
Stress of lay offs are very frequent and counterproductive.
Promotions are far and few.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide better training to the employees. Encourage growth. Be more honest and not hide behind flowery words. Listen and learn from employees.

Great Company

Supervisor (Former Employee)

I worked at International Game Technology full-time for more than 8 years

ProsSomething different everyday never boring.

ConsLimited advancement opportunities in a remote office.

Worked for International Game Technology? Contribute to the Community!

International Game Technology Videos

International Game Technology – Why Work for Us?

IGT is the global leader in the design, development, and manufacturing of computerized gaming machines and network systems products as well as online and mobile gaming solutions for regulated markets. Our industry is… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at International Game Technology reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for International Game Technology CEO Patti S. Hart. All 208 reviews posted anonymously by International Game Technology employees.