International Game Technology

International Game Technology Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

International Game Technology CEO Patti S. Hart

Patti S. Hart

Pros
  • Acceptable work-life balance if you work in the right department(in 16 reviews)

• Helped pay for college, good benefits, gym and cafeteria on site, great people(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • I left after upper management decided to start recording phone calls and text messages(in 30 reviews)

• The senior management is a joke, with most of them coming from non-gaming industries(in 17 reviews)

Best Tech company in Vegas

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosbest technical company in Vegas area

ConsLayoff threats, not getting the deserved promotion

A Sad Shadow of a Once Great Company--Run!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Reno, NV

ProsBack in the Tom Baker days there was a teamwork and a soul and the company CARED about the employees. Unfortunately, those days are long gone. Now it is just more pay and benefit cuts and layoffs. The timing of the merger is probably pretty good.

ConsLack of integrity in the pay system. Nothing like blowing away your performance targets, only to have the company renege on paying to play the "bad year" card. The variable pay system is arbitrary and not clearly spelled out, so that they can avoid paying you. No transparency, if you do ____ you get ______ is how it should work, but it doesn't..

The products aren't very good with the star creative game development talent migrating to the competitors Generally were replaced with new college graduates This became a minor league feeder for the other gaming companies.

The company has botched the people side.

The 401k program is one of the worst in any corporation.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocusing on employee nepotism policies while IGT is losing market share and slipping on game development and sales shows that you are disconnected. Out of the top 100 issues in the company, this is not one of them.

The only reason this company didn't make the top 10 worst companies in the US is that there weren't enough reviews.

Good company to stay

Prosgood culture, good place to stay

Consno new techs, no new product

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Was great, but not anymore!

Account Administrator (Former Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsThe people and the pay.

ConsUpper mgt in it for the $$ and don't care about the workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of Patti Hart.

Sinking ship

Software Engineer III (Current Employee) Reno, NV

ProsCoworkers for the most part are good people.
    Compensation is competitive, especially considering the low(er) cost of living in Nevada as compared to California or other metropolitan areas.

ConsThe senior management is a joke, with most of them coming from non-gaming industries. Some key mistakes they have made: 1) moving the executive HQ to Las Vegas, while the operations center remains in Reno; 2) focusing operations to try and recover lost market share in over-saturated product markets like megajackpots and core gaming, whereas they should have focused operations on product markets with greater growth opportunity and less competition like video poker and international markets 3) supporting a conservative culture, where risk taking and change are frowned upon - surprisingly, this impacts executives more than employees, for example when new VP's are hired the expectation is that they should start changing things for the better (which is risky), but the culture frowns on this so many new executive hires are simply over-paid wallflowers that don't act out their changes.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry innovating instead of layoffs. In the long run you will need innovative products to remain market leader. Layoffs are just a short-term band-aid.

I dont like

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsIt is not a positive work environment, bad leadership, dying business model, no answers on how to turn things around. Many very smart people left the company earlier this year which resulted in much knowledge walking out the door. I can think of a few "rock star" types in particular -known around town as best in what they do or did- who were not utilized properly here or were put in wrong position and not surprising they left. No doubt they will add proper value for a competitor eventually. Sense of giving up + hanging around to see what happens after company is sold dominates the tone. Also there is constant reorganization which hinders traction and progress.

ConsVery odd management group with a lot of hand-picked and unqualified directors and vice presidents making huge decisions, often from remote locations. several of these people who are making $300K+ are working from home. there is hostility from management if you are a "gaming industry" person, they seem to dislike people with this knowledge, which is very strange and ironic. Beyond this internal issues, there is the elephant-in-the room which is that the slot machine is a buggy-whip product that is becoming less popular and less relevant every day. if you look at a slot machine doesnt it look like a 30 year old thing? people under 50 for the most part have zero interest in this product -- which is a big problem. The company also relies too heavily on a dated model of licensing old movies and tv shows for content -- this strategy is 30 years old and was good in the 90s but now everyone does it and players dont care and casino operators dont want it anymore, it makes their nice floors look tacky. there is something about going to wynn for example .. if you see some wheel of fortune machine it just looks out of place (tacky vs classy of wynn atmosphere) .. Young people -- how are we going to get them to gamble? There is ZERO thought on this big subject, which is shocking -- the company strategy seems to be hoping the 60-70 year old woman will not age. Executives dont walk casino floors, they dont play the slots machines either. i dont think they like them either! I guess they dont care because they know they will not be long term involved with IGT. if you are an employee or own stock you think different but they dont care. IGT is what happens when management and stock holder have interests not in line. I think this company is doomed.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of hardware business, become a software company and grow beyond gambling games to more video game style company across media platforms. And get with newer technology, it is amazing how old the technology is at a company with technology in its name (for now anyway). I also agree that spending millions of dollars on a logo which no one cares about was stupid given the timing. They will lose me soon also.

Great boss and great teammates

ProsWorking at IGT is very rewarding. My boss here at IGT is great. I feel I am valued and my opinion works. I am not micro-managed and my work is challenging. I personally have a very fast paced job and I continue to learn here.

ConsChange is hard for some people and that can cause some negative feelings about the company from some of my colleagues. I personally do ok with change but I can see some people do struggle with it. I also think it is easy to point fingers for issues but sometimes my colleagues have a hard time accepting responsibility for their own impact to the situation. It can be hard to listen to at times. Instead of pointing out problems, more people should come to the table with solutions.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore transparency is needed, clearer messaging on corporate strategy and cut dead weight/people not pulling their weight or those bringing down morale with bad attitudes.

Just another minimum wage job unless your friends with management

Sames Associate/Fes (Current Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsEasy schedule, they understand you NEED another job to work there.

ConsNo benefits any more, upper managers hire and promote their friends in a matter of days. You have to take up the slack for poor employees. Absolutly no accountability

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at your managers and take away THEIR opportunity to promote in their stores. Send employees to other store managers for interviews and get feedback. Make certain amount of time employed before promoting to specific jobs.

Good experience with IGT

Anonymous (Current Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsIndustry leader, gained knowledge of gaming industry, there are great people that work here, gym on site, cafeteria on site, good benefits

Conslack of communication between departments, didn't feel i was given many opportunities for advancement, teams are not rewarded based on performance

Great Potential, Uncertainty Hindering Productivity

ProsFlexible working hours. Benefits are on par with or better than most companies in the area. Salary is good. Great people to work with.

ConsCurrent climate of uncertainty is scaring good employees away. Having to be on call for customer support 24/7 gets old.

Advice to Senior ManagementWalk the walk and really be transparent and provide open communication to your employees. We need to identify lower priority projects and cut or postpone them so we are not over-working our staff.

Worked for International Game Technology? Contribute to the Community!