International Medical Corps

2.8
Nancy Aossey

1. IMC

I have been working at International Medical Corps

Pros

Good Salary compared to other NGO's. They go to areas where many NGO's refuse to go. They have a great logistic team.

Cons

I do not think there are any Cons, they are a great NGO to work for and go the extra step to accomplish goals.

Run

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at International Medical Corps full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are some very cool, interesting people. You'll probably make some great friends.

Cons

There is a major, major disconnect between senior management and everyone else. Not just in terms of salaries but also engagement with the organization's actual operations. Let's break it down by department: HR- HR needs some help. Recruitment is poor - there are no standards or system to ensure we are hiring the best candidates possible. There are definitely a handful of people in the field who are hired because they were friends with someone senior - but they're not necessarily good. Corporate HR is just awful. Apparently they actually had a meeting to figure out how to put bogus positive reviews on this site just to help improve the ratings. Corporate HR doesn't care to deal with issues which is why there are chronic problems. There's also a good deal of sexism - some departments are basically all women working for men. Some senior staff have made extremely sexist comments (my personal favorite - I heard a VP told a female employee he "doesn't pay her to think"). Finance- IMC's finance office is in Croatia. Not clear as to why that's still the case - maybe it's to hide the number of finance staff we have. VP of Finance calls all the shots, even for things that really have nothing to do with her portfolio. IMC is a very, very finance heavy and finance run organization. Get someone to send you an org chart- the number of finance and IT staff heavily outweigh programs or anything else. It's odd and probably the reason why programs take a hit. Operations- This is one of those departments where it's all women working for men. What do Regional Coordinators do? Nobody seems to know. Desk Officers are the ones running everything and the ones with the true relationships with field staff and knowledge of field programs. Highly undervalued, though, probably because they're all women. Logistics- They're trying to scale up but they're kind of hidden in the Croatia office. Technical Unit/Nutrition & Food Security- Why is nutrition & food security separate? It should all be one department. Generally, these advisors are great. There are a couple people who really don't seem to be qualified for their positions - rumor says they were put in those positions because a VP said to hire them. There should be more investment in hiring more technical staff to support programs. Especially need more M&E staff. There should also be more investment in getting these advisors to the field missions they support so that they have a better understanding of the context. Global Strategy - what do they do? I mean really, what? It also seems like all the positions could be integrated into existing departments so it's not clear why a whole new department needed to be started up - seems like a VP power trip. They also hired so many people that it took away from programs - field missions were told they would get extra funds and then all of a sudden those funds were gone (probably because this department over hired and because all the senior staff gave themselves bonuses. Great use of money.) Resource Development- Great at bringing in money just not good at always managing it. Also there are so many positions in this department but nobody knows what they do. Communications - Nice people but need a bit of reality check as to how things actually work. Emergency Response Unit - why is preparedness in the director's title? There is no preparedness work. The only real issues with the ERU is that is really disconnected from all other departments so transition of missions isn't as smooth as it could be. Generally the staff are good except for M&E. There's no real M&E, it's just data collection. Security- need some serious improvements but it seems like they're opening up discussions to learn how to improve. Domestic & International Affairs - there is so much potential here but no investment. Generally - benefits are good if you're single. IMC will cover your whole health insurance premium but they won't cover dependents. Want maternity leave? Forget it. Let's advocate for maternal and child health in other countries but not take care of our own. Vacation is horrible - HR also took away personal days. The excuse for everything is "we're an emergency response organization" - but they should throw people a bone every now and then if they want to keep them. Speaking of keeping people, there's really no focus on retaining talent. You can do some unique things you may not have the chance to do elsewhere but don't plan on building a career here, unless you don't actually care about the cause. If you really care about making a difference, this isn't the place. They just care about money.

Advice to Management

Everyone knows the CEO's boyfriend is running the organization. Most senior management are a tight club of people who have been with the organization for forever. The nepotism needs to stop. Find people who actually are the best candidates for the positions. We should get some more fresh perspective into the organization, if there's an actual interest to improve the quality of what we do. Also what other NGO of comparable size has 7 VPs? Organization is way too top heavy.

Worst place I've ever worked

I worked at International Medical Corps full-time

Pros

You can meet some nice people, but not at the higher levels. Good overall mission.

Cons

Extremely demanding and unhealthy work environment, feedback is either negative or neutral. Senior Management is only concerned about bringing in money. Lack of interest in professional growth or development of employees. No one is happy. Salary below market, unless you are a senior staff member. Complaints to HR never taken seriously, they are more concerned with protecting the company than the individual. Would never recommend. Do not work here.

Advice to Management

Start to care about your employees.

Program Director

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at International Medical Corps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The organization is able to attract some good people. That said, the truly great ones don't stay. The work is meaningful in that it helps some of the world's most vulnerable people, but there is no focus on innovation, risk taking or non-linear leaps. IMC does the same things now that it did 20 years ago.

Cons

IMC is, hands down, the worst work environment I've ever been in. Senior management is apathetic at best, and incompetent at worst. No attention is paid to staff development, and resources are actually used to undermine and alienate staff. (E.g. studies on staff engagement that are suppressed and ignored.) There is no opportunity for career advancement, and no mentoring of junior staff. If you want a textbook case study in how not to run an organization from an HR, interpersonal and an innovation perspective, visit IMC.

Advice to Management

Resign. Bring in people with management experience who understand how to leverage employee talents and knowledge. Invest in pilots and take risks. Become a leader in developing best practices, rather than a sheepish consumer of WHO reports. Create actual opportunities for advancement and don't be afraid of change. Pay market rates to attract and retain top talent.

Family Physicin and Lecturer in Public Health for 30+

Former Employee - Family Physician in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Family Physician in San Diego, CA

I worked at International Medical Corps full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

To assists people to promote their health, prevent and control diseases, and rehabilitate them. Treating common conditions, refer to 2ndary or tertiary health care facilities, and then continue followup them.

Cons

I don't understand what you mean?

Advice to Management

Management is defined as working for people and through people. Good manager have to be a leader, problem solver and respect dignity of employee and clients

Major leadership vacuum, CEO is dis-connected from the realities of who we are and what we do and VPs are dis-engaged.

Pros

Really committed staff on the shop floor at HQ and in the field. Strong middle managers but everyone suffers at the hands of weak senior leadership.

Cons

Waste of resources with a top heavy management structure and a growing HQ despite major gaps in field management positions. Senior leadership never travel to field to see what is going on and don't seem to care about the real program work. Only interested in fund raising.

Advice to Management

Get real and get out to see what is happening in the field. Be more focused on programs and the money will follow.

Frustrating, no vision, busy work adding up to little

I worked at International Medical Corps full-time

Pros

Solid technical and program teams at headquarters and in field programs. Great program staff.

Cons

No focus on quality, poor program support, lack of leadership on org full potential. Lots of favoritism.

Advice to Management

Listen to your program staff, focus on quality, recognize your staff, be transparent and fair

IMC does good work in the world, but it depends on your manager/supervisor if you get any recognition as an individual.

I have been working at International Medical Corps full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They do good work in the world, and you can feel good about that.

Cons

You may not get the support from your supervisor. Kind of a "sink or swim" atmosphere

10. Great work environment

I have been working at International Medical Corps

Pros

I have been working for International Medical Corps for almost 7 years. I can not express enough what a wonderful workplace it is to work for. First of all I believe in the work that we do and what a great effect it has on the underserved communities we support. It makes me feel a sense of purpose and belonging. I have had many amazing experiences and above all the opportunity to grow and learn. I would recommend to anyone to check out our website and see for themselves the difference we make in people's lives .

Cons

none that i can think of

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

Former Intern-Pretty horrible experience

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

I worked at International Medical Corps

Pros

There were really no pros to working here. At least I have another notch on my resume. This doesn't mean much though. You mention International Medical Corps, and really it's just crickets.

Cons

Interning at International Medical Corps was generally horrible. There is no internship program. They have senior staff that are obviously very well-informed and seem like they would be lovely to talk to, but they don't set up any inhouse events for their interns. At the last ngo where I interned the executive director came in and spoke the interns for almost two hours. Wasn't given any substantial or challenging work. I realize it's an internship, but you should at least give me something that makes me want to come in the office. Especially, since I'm not being paid. Initially going into this internship I thought International Medical Corps could be a potential employer after I finish the last year of my master's probably. Having completed this internship, I realize that International Medical Corps is not a place where I would like to work. Also, there is a lot of gossip in this office. It is extremely unprofessional. Employees talk disparagingly of some employees when they're absent. Completely unacceptable.

Advice to Management

Do some stuff for your interns. Act like you actually care and appreciate them. Set up an orientation for your interns or bi weekly talks at the very least.

RSS Feed </> Embed