International Medical Corps Reviews

Nancy Aossey

1. Busy, lots of meetings

Former Intern - Assistant/ in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - Assistant/ in Washington, DC

I worked at International Medical Corps as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers come from lots of different backgrounds, religions, cultures. Overall, everyone is very approachable. Fast paced. Good on-boarding process to meet people from all teams.

Cons

Lots of work, not enough man power, very typical of international NGOs. Different departments can seem siloed.

2. IMC has terrific mission and what the organization does in the field is amazing... However IT is horrible.

I worked at International Medical Corps as a contractor

Pros

If you are a doctor and would like to fight for human lifes, then this is a terrific place for you.

Cons

IT is horrible, software development approaches 15-25 years old, no reliable consistent data... Some times managers arguing common sense. A lot of good words with a luck of proper actions. If you are an IT specialist then stay away.

3. IMC does good work in the world, but it depends on your manager/supervisor if you get any recognition as an individual.

I have been working at International Medical Corps full-time (less than a year)

Pros

They do good work in the world, and you can feel good about that.

Cons

You may not get the support from your supervisor. Kind of a "sink or swim" atmosphere

5. good company

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at International Medical Corps as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

provides good benefits for employees

Cons

high turn over; overloaded with work

A take on HQ

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at International Medical Corps full-time

Pros

As an employee you will probably enjoy working with your colleagues. Most are very dedicated, passionate and motivated. Unfortunately this often is not recognized by senior management. The work itself is interesting and dynamic; given the range of projects there is a lot to keep you engaged.

Cons

IMC really should invest more in building out staff that have technical expertise. The technical staff are great but stretched very thin - it is really odd that we have more people in finance or other areas than in technical roles, especially since the mission of the organization is really carried out by those who can come up with the ideas, design interventions and identify M&E monitors. HQ staff is very unbalanced; it should be a strategic priority to rectify this. At some point we're just not going to have enough of the right kind of people to keep up with the growth.

Morale is low. Generally, a great group of co-workers but that office needs a boost. People don't feel valued.

CEO is completely disengaged. It doesn't seem like she cares at all to know who people are or what they're doing. Maybe she will say hi to you, but she probably has no clue or interest in what you do.

There is very limited opportunity for growth at the individual level, and the organization would benefit if senior management focused more on how to retain staff. There should be more focus on training and dealing with issues head on. If someone isn't that great, either cut them loose or make an effort to train them; don't just avoid problems.

VPs are really dedicated people, just they also have a lot on their plates. Would be really nice if VPs engage more with their departments.

Boost the salaries. Even if it's a little bit, it will go a long way with staff retention. Compensation is weak and not competitive. Give people a reason to want to be there.

7. Great work environment

I have been working at International Medical Corps

Pros

I have been working for International Medical Corps for almost 7 years. I can not express enough what a wonderful workplace it is to work for. First of all I believe in the work that we do and what a great effect it has on the underserved communities we support. It makes me feel a sense of purpose and belonging. I have had many amazing experiences and above all the opportunity to grow and learn. I would recommend to anyone to check out our website and see for themselves the difference we make in people's lives .

Cons

none that i can think of

Keep up the good work

The department where I worked was great, however my overall impression of the company was poor.

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at International Medical Corps as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The department where I worked, as well as my direct supervisors and coworkers both in LA and DC were great, however, my interactions with other departments although limited left a bad taste in my mouth. The work was challenging and rewarding. I really enjoyed my time here as an intern.

Cons

Internships are unpaid. I'm not sure about the legality of this, but from the workload that I received, a small stipend would've at least been appreciated. However, the do reimburse you if you choose to take public transportation.
    During my time as an intern, nothing was really done to welcome us interns as a group. If you aren't the kind of person who seeks out friendships in the work setting, it's easy to not know the other interns and coworkers if you don't work in the same department. The office environment is super cliquey. People talk about one another behind each other's backs like it's nothing, which in my opinion ruins work morale and turns coworkers who should be working together, against each other and causes unnecessary competition. A welcome event for interns would be helpful, as well as a weekly/bi-weekly meeting in which all the interns get together and discuss what's been happening in their respective departments, new ideas, etc.
    Overall, It's a good place to work and have on a resume, get in, work towards getting a good recommendation and quickly get out.

Bring in fresh, new employees to initiate change. Policies are way outdated and should reflect the society in which we live in 2014, not the society that existed when the charity began in the 80's.

Former Intern-Pretty horrible experience

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

I worked at International Medical Corps

Pros

There were really no pros to working here. At least I have another notch on my resume. This doesn't mean much though. You mention International Medical Corps, and really it's just crickets.

Cons

Interning at International Medical Corps was generally horrible. There is no internship program. They have senior staff that are obviously very well-informed and seem like they would be lovely to talk to, but they don't set up any inhouse events for their interns. At the last ngo where I interned the executive director came in and spoke the interns for almost two hours. Wasn't given any substantial or challenging work. I realize it's an internship, but you should at least give me something that makes me want to come in the office. Especially, since I'm not being paid. Initially going into this internship I thought International Medical Corps could be a potential employer after I finish the last year of my master's probably. Having completed this internship, I realize that International Medical Corps is not a place where I would like to work. Also, there is a lot of gossip in this office. It is extremely unprofessional. Employees talk disparagingly of some employees when they're absent. Completely unacceptable.

Do some stuff for your interns. Act like you actually care and appreciate them. Set up an orientation for your interns or bi weekly talks at the very least.

10. Valuable learning experience in technical field of monitoring and evaluation and humanitarian response

Former Employee - Monitoring and Evaluation Assistant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Monitoring and Evaluation Assistant in Washington, DC

I worked at International Medical Corps part-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are many opportunities within the technical unit for professional development and learning about the different sectors, particularly strong in mental health

Cons

Due to the nature of humanitarian emergency response, there can be a high level of stress in the office, and among field staff.

more open face to face communication between departments could cut back on unhealthy competition or miscommunications

Terrible Experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at International Medical Corps full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The work itself can be meaningful, even inspiring, and the field offices can actually be decent places to work. IMC is able to recruit (but not retain) fabulous talent, so you'll likely get the chance to work with some great folks.

Cons

The culture at IMC is fundamentally broken. Senior management is unfamiliar with basic best practices in engaging, motivating and retaining employees. There are no opportunities for advancement and there is no investment in staff development. The pay is well below market, and it is not unheard of for management to require employees to cover the cost of things like anti-malarials they require for trips to areas with malaria epidenimcs. If you are talented, innovative, bright and looking to work somewhere where you can receive support and career development, definitely seek employment elsewhere. IMC is the worst work environment I've ever encountered.