International Paper
www.internationalpaper.com Memphis, TN 5000+ Employees

International Paper Reviews in Memphis, TN

Updated Jun 23, 2014

International Paper Chairman and CEO John V. Faraci Jr.

John V. Faraci Jr.

44 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Varied Experience

Manager (Current Employee)
    Memphis, TN

ProsGreat benefits, especially the 401k matching and healthcare options. Excellent career path development. Good coworkers who genuinely care about each other and doing a good job. Compensation is very competitive. Strong commitment to the environment and sustainability. The opportunity to follow your career path to other locations (some even international!).

ConsThe union leadership in the manufacturing facilities can be challenging to work with at times, however some of the union guys have been the best guys to work with in terms of knowledge and commitment.

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamlining the software and hardware technology adoption curve. Still using Office 2007 in 2014. Still using dated Dell laptop specs, etc. The move away from the BB to the iPhone was a good example of moving forward.

Great Place

IT Analyst (Former Employee)
    Memphis, TN

ProsGreat benefits, pay & work environment

ConsSome departments are less diverse.

It was a amazing internship!

Co-op Export (Former Employee)
    Memphis, TN

ProsLarge company! Great pay! Wonderful people!

ConsHave to make up projects; sometimes not enough work

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to convert great interns to full-time employment before other competitor companies take them

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Small Cog in a Very Large Wheel

IT Manager (Former Employee)
    Memphis, TN

ProsThe company offers structure, formalized policies, career path (if at corporate), and decent benefits. There is also a degree of autonomy provided to mid-level managers.

ConsIt is working for the "Old Guard". It is not a nimble/agile organization. It takes months for decisions to be finalized. For those in the know, it is a SAP shop. Enough said...

Advice to Senior Management"Lifers" need to be cut from the pack if they have remained in the same position for years and years and years.

International Paper

Procurement (Current Employee)

ProsExcellent growth potential.
    Extreme focus on Safety.
    Very supportive of diversity in all facets of business.
    Good pay, decent benefits.
    Good appreciation and recognition of going above and beyond.
    Great corporate citizen.
    Good leadership.

ConsCertain paper markets shrinking in demand for products.
    Somewhat narrow experience transferability.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue working to develop middle management, still pockets of old style management.

The work was engaging, fun, and rewarding.

Division Controller (Former Employee)
    Memphis, TN

ProsGreat people, great opportunities for advancement, and great organizational framework. The company aggressively promotes from within which is very motivating.

ConsA good degree of politics is needed to advance up the ladder. Also, there is a bit much emphasis placed on diversity. I witnessed a fair share of incompetent diversity hires.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

IT Manager

IT Manager (Current Employee)
    Memphis, TN

ProsGood People and sometimes a good work environment

Consmicro-management, "good old boy" mentality, no rhyme or reason why people get promoted to Senior or Director levels. It is all about who you know. People with no skills often promoted.

Advice to Senior ManagementApply the rules consistently and fairly. For instance, you do not just give a job to a person, you post it, review the applicants and hire the best candidate. I have seen too many instances where jobs I have to fill HAVE to be posted but when a VP or Director steps in they just "appoint" a position.

International Paper is a very large company...Can get lost in the career maze.

Manager (Current Employee)
    Memphis, TN

ProsIP takes very good care of their employees and there is a lot of movement within the groups.

Cons1930's style management, managers don't talk to workers. Everyone is to worried what "level" they are. Too many people means not much to do for may people.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at putting processes and technology in place that can help streamline the business. Can get rid of a lot waste.

Sales

Sales Representative (Former Employee)
    Memphis, TN

ProsGood company, products. Strongest player in industry.

ConsShrinking markets causing constant job reductions.

Advice to Senior ManagementBelieve in your people

Strong appearance of positive company culture that seems to waver as time goes by.

Memphis, TN

ProsLots of opportunities for advancement if relocation is possible. Very positive culture especially if you fit in.

ConsPoor communication of plans or decisions. Individuals are often left in the dark and blindsided by problems that could have been easily avoided.

Advice to Senior ManagementEverything doesn't need to be a secret. People are adults and can handle the truth.

Worked for International Paper? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at International Paper reviews and ratings in Memphis, TN — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for International Paper CEO John V. Faraci Jr. All 44 reviews posted anonymously by International Paper employees.