International Paper

www.internationalpaper.com

International Paper Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

International Paper Chairman and CEO John V. Faraci Jr.

John V. Faraci Jr.

Pros
  • Pay and benefits are great and the management team is very accessible (in 11 reviews)

• Great benefits, especially the 401k matching and healthcare options (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard to have a work life balance since it is such a stressful and demanding job (in 5 reviews)

• Some positions could be long hours during the month (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company with smart, hard-working...good people

Intern (Former Employee) Memphis, TN

ProsMany opportunities for growth, great sustainability program, employees are like family, hard work doesn't go unnoticed, meet and work with IP employees from across the globe

ConsSome older managers are stuck in their ways - some stick to tradition rather than look for ways to improve,

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to adapt and be willing to change - give younger employees leverage to bring new ideas to the table

Enjoyable work environment

Supply Planner (Current Employee) Memphis, TN

ProsDecent pay (competitive)
    Great benefits (besides health insurance)
    Great people to work with
    Advancement opportunities
    Extra activities provided by company
    Large company with opportunity to relocate
    Fast paced environment
    Very busy all the time and the time flies by

ConsVery top down approach, everything has to go through your manager, which then goes to their manager etc. It is a lenghty process to get anything approved. I do not know if it is a power struggle or what.
    Everyone gets the same raise every year as long as you do your job.
    Since it is such a large company sometimes you do not get the recognition you deserve.
    Hard to have a work life balance since it is such a stressful and demanding job.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow lower level employees to do their jobs.
    Recognize the employees that do go above and beyond.

Nice Place to Work

IT Analyst (Current Employee) Memphis, TN

Pros- Friendly employees
    - Pretty good salaries (Negotiate!)
    - Alot of different areas to work in
    - Good benifits

ConsGlass ceiling on how high you can go in alot of cases . No Matter how great a job you seem to do, you still get the same raise every year.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A good place to learn

Fiber Specialist (Former Employee)

ProsAbundant training opportunities. Average pay and benefits.

ConsExtreme hubris across all levels. Operates like a mideval kingdom, from the king, to barons and serfs.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire the known bad apples in middle management. Driving away a lot of good young talent.

great place to work. Good people

Machine Operator (Former Employee) Courtland, AL

ProsCompensation....Many benefits.. As long as you were doing your job, did not here from management . Good steady income...

ConsSometimes long hours...Many opportunities to train.......

Advice to Senior ManagementTake of people and the people will take care of you.

International Paper is a large company with a lot of moving parts.

Applications Developer Analyst (Current Employee) Memphis, TN

ProsCommunication with employees on where they stand.

ConsProjects seem to take a while to get traction based on the business approval process.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out a way to help the business folks cooperate and communicate with the technical folks more efficiently and effectively.

Bittersweet Experience. Management Could Use Revamping

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsGreat perks such as giveaways. Staff is really nice and works well as a team. Will go above and beyond to do a good job and take care of the customer.

ConsManagement can be disconnected with daily activities of employees and processes. Systems are not efficient making it difficult to perform duties timely. Very bureaucratic, tough to be heard by management. Promotions and compensation aren't always fair. HR not approachable.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider job shadowing employees regularly to get an accurate view of what it takes to get things done. Recognize those who go above and beyond to manage and take care of your customers (even behind the scenes). Compensate them for their continued efforts.

It was new and a different, places to work.

Cisco Wireless Engineer (Current Employee) Memphis, TN

ProsI did not see one

ConsDifferences, shown toward new employees, their is no learning curve.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe younger supervisor, are quick to jump to conclusion, when they don't have all the information, when dealing with new employee.

Dying Business

Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsHighly regarded company with good benefits..401k, health benefits, etc..

ConsManagement is tough. They give you double signals. You never know where you stand. Lots of turnover.

Varied Experience

Manager (Current Employee) Memphis, TN

ProsGreat benefits, especially the 401k matching and healthcare options. Excellent career path development. Good coworkers who genuinely care about each other and doing a good job. Compensation is very competitive. Strong commitment to the environment and sustainability. The opportunity to follow your career path to other locations (some even international!).

ConsThe union leadership in the manufacturing facilities can be challenging to work with at times, however some of the union guys have been the best guys to work with in terms of knowledge and commitment.

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamlining the software and hardware technology adoption curve. Still using Office 2007 in 2014. Still using dated Dell laptop specs, etc. The move away from the BB to the iPhone was a good example of moving forward.

Worked for International Paper? Contribute to the Community!