International Paper
www.internationalpaper.com Memphis, TN 5000+ Employees

International Paper Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

International Paper Chairman and CEO John V. Faraci Jr.

John V. Faraci Jr.

Pros:
  • "Pay and benefits are great and the management team is very accessible"
    in 10 reviews
  • "The benefits are great and the overall goal of the company is a good one"
    in 10 reviews
Cons:
  • "Lots of travel, but it balances in total to a manageable work/life balance"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Some positions could be long hours during the month"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Varied Experience

Manager (Current Employee)
    Memphis, TN

ProsGreat benefits, especially the 401k matching and healthcare options. Excellent career path development. Good coworkers who genuinely care about each other and doing a good job. Compensation is very competitive. Strong commitment to the environment and sustainability. The opportunity to follow your career path to other locations (some even international!).

ConsThe union leadership in the manufacturing facilities can be challenging to work with at times, however some of the union guys have been the best guys to work with in terms of knowledge and commitment.

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamlining the software and hardware technology adoption curve. Still using Office 2007 in 2014. Still using dated Dell laptop specs, etc. The move away from the BB to the iPhone was a good example of moving forward.

Dying Business

Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsHighly regarded company with good benefits..401k, health benefits, etc..

ConsManagement is tough. They give you double signals. You never know where you stand. Lots of turnover.

Life changing

ProsThe pay is good and some of the people r good to

ConsShift work and it's like a soap opera

Advice to Senior ManagementHappy cow produces more MILK !!!!!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good experience in industry, bad market.

Engineering Co-Op (Former Employee)
    Courtland, AL

ProsI learned a lot about large scale manufacturing operations during my time there. Most employees seemed happy to be working there most of the time. Lots of training available, great resume builders. Pay was good too.

ConsPaper is a dying industry, and the plant where I worked closed...despite producing great results. It was totally out of left field. It's a risky market for paper makers.

Good company in a dying industry

Sales Specialist (Former Employee)
    Cleveland, OH

ProsGreat company in a dying industry. Making strides to improve. Very good company to work for and I would recommend anyone to work there.

ConsThe company locations are remote. Unless there is travel there is not much opportunity for advancement.
    Slalaries are low

Great Place

IT Analyst (Former Employee)
    Memphis, TN

ProsGreat benefits, pay & work environment

ConsSome departments are less diverse.

Project Engineer in Manufacturing

Project Engineer (Current Employee)
    Cincinnati, OH

ProsGreat culture for developing employees. Great Benefits.

ConsThe amount of travel and relocation to move up can be difficult

Great Company to work for

ProsGreat company, awesome work environment. They make a true effort to be a good place to work.

Consunless you are and engineer, there isn't much room for advancement

Advice to Senior Managementthere is more talent than the engineering department.

International Paper

Operator's Assistant (Current Employee)
    Statesville, NC

ProsGret company to work for,

ConsNo cons that I can think of

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Great company for it's size

IT Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsPay is very competitive overall. While I might be able to make more 'cash' at some other places, it wouldn't make up for the stability that IP has offered me, along with the total benefits package. Their Retirement plans are good, health benefits are decent, and there are many other benefits outside of these realms. I have actually gotten training, whereas many companies will promise training - IP delivered. There are a lot of good people to work with as well, I have had no major issues with management and even the 'high level' mangers are approachable, for the most part. From my experience, upper management is as in touch with their employees as they can be in an organization of this size. Outside of entire facility closure, I haven't seen any layoffs and even in those cases, the chances of being able to relocate (if willing) and maintain a position with IP have been good to excellent. In most areas there is little outsourcing and much of that is 'temp to hire' - and they actually do hire in many of those cases, if you do a good job. Additionally; while there is some debate overall on the subject, for the most part - hard work is rewarded. Very good life/work balance - when I needed time off the most, it wasn't even questioned - a manager 3 levels above me told me to take the time I need for my family.

ConsLarge environment creates many 'work silos' - keeping you in a narrow scope of responsibilities, that can be a 'con' to a degree since you do not get much experience outside of your 'specialty'. It is also easy to get 'lost in the crowd' if you aren't a very assertive personality. Change is slow in coming and there can often be a 'hurry up and wait' dynamic on projects. Promotions can be limited, depending on the facility you are located at. the overly ambitious may not find it the best environment for quick advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are - keep your focus on customers and employees. Thanks for the considerations on work-life balance and thanks for keeping most position in-house. The upper level executives have done a splendid job with getting the company focused and on track, while keeping this a good place to spend your career.

Worked for International Paper? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at International Paper reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for International Paper CEO John V. Faraci Jr. All 177 reviews posted anonymously by International Paper employees.