International Rescue Committee
www.rescue.org New York, NY 5000+ Employees

International Rescue Committee Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014
International Rescue Committee – Shikārpur – “PBC visit”

International Rescue Committee President and CEO David Miliband

David Miliband

Pros:
  • "hands-on experience, communal working environment"
    in 3 reviews
  • "If your passion is helping people, if you're thinking about going to Peace Corp"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "There needs to be more opportunity for advancement and transitioning from US programs to IPD and vice versa"
    in 4 reviews
  • "HQ structure is way risk averse, doesn't trust local affiliate staff, high turnover in local EDs"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great opportunity

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat organization to work with.

ConsHard to move up the organization.

Great Organization Positive Working Environment

Program Officer (Former Employee)

ProsEveryone employee at IRC was there for the mission of the organization from the Director to the Interns to the Childcare Teachers. Lots of room for Interns to gain experience and become part of the staff especially in resettlement and immigration.

Conssalaries are very low; not a lot of room for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementAssist managers with understand department budgets

Great Experience!

Intern (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGood opportunity to do field work and interact with refugees and immigrants who are new to America and have very little time to learn a huge lot of things. Teaches patience, compassion and bringing energy to the work-place while working at IRC.

ConsSometimes the requirements become over-bearing when there are huge number of clients coming with issues in different areas. One needs to be prepared for these occasional rush hours.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wonderful colleagues and mission

ProsStrength of teams in the field, really trying their best to serve beneficiaries effectively and with dignity, some more cutting edge programming than other NGOs out there.

ConsHigh staff turnover in HQ and in the field, burnout, salaries not enough to live on in NYC if you are married with kids. Difficult to advance in international programs as a non-singleton.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake a better effort to retain the best staff, prioritize quality of working environment.

Internship Experience

Intern (Former Employee)
    Baltimore, MD

ProsI really enjoyed my coworkers and was immediately getting hands on experience. I learned a lot and was able to see many different aspects of the domestic resettlement program. Within a week I felt like I was a contributing member of the team.

ConsThere was no structure to the internship, no beginning, middle and end and no clear expectations of what I, as the intern, was supposed to get out of the experience. It was also clear to me that the organization would be unable to function without interns and I found that morally questionable. By the end of my time at the IRC I was functioning at the level of a part-time staff member, without getting paid. While I didn't mind because at the time I felt I was getting such valuable experience and also really enjoyed what I was doing, looking back I wonder if I was being taken advantage of.

Advice to Senior ManagementLimit internships to a three month period with obligations on both sides, intern and supervisor, as to what is expected over that period of time. Interns cannot be only drivers, or errand runners and should have the opportunity to get real skills.

Program staff are amazing. Leadership and non-program staff destroy that.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsIncredibly brilliant, knowledgeable, caring and committed program staff, who genuinely love their work and have deeply relevant experience in the field.

Cons- Leadership cares more about image and fundraising than about the quality of the work happening in the field - huge disconnect between stated mission and actual implementation, because of leaders' lack of integrity.
    - Narcissism reigns due to nearly obsessive attention to hierarchy.
    - No demonstrated commitment to staff development.
    - Beneficiaries are trooped out for galas or referenced in funder meetings, but the organization has become too sprawling and disorganized to foster any real sense of connection. It's incredibly sad.

Northern California IRC- Wonderful people working in a disorganized, underfunded office.

Oakland, CA

Pros-Meeting clients from all over the world who really need your help
    -Coworkers who are also genuinely dedicated to the cause
    -Great benefits
    -Regular hours, for the most part
    -Psychic Income

Cons-Unpaid interns put in the same hours and effort as some of the paid staff members
    -Lack of communication between each section of the office
    -Rare opportunities to advance within the organization as a staff member
    -Rare opportunities to obtain a paid staff position after working as an intern

IRC review

Prosgreat colleagues, good travel opportunities

Conspoor work-life balance, very large gaps between workloads at HQ and in "the field"

Great internship experience.

Employment Services Specialist (Former Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsGet to meet real clients and work directly with them. You will get to know them and know exactly how to serve them. Laid back environment and all the people working there seem to enjoy what they do.

ConsSometimes work might get tedious with little progress to be shown. Repetitive work and lots of trips to the printer and the scanner.

Advice to Senior ManagementWould help to make everything digitized instead of keeping files like the 19th century.

My experience with IRC.

Finance Assistant (Former Employee)
    Boise, ID

ProsFriendly environment and hard-working people.

ConsNothing bad to say about this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementN

Worked for International Rescue Committee? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at International Rescue Committee reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for International Rescue Committee CEO David Miliband. All 90 reviews posted anonymously by International Rescue Committee employees.