International Rescue Committee

www.rescue.org

International Rescue Committee Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014
International Rescue Committee – Shikārpur – “PBC visit”

International Rescue Committee – Shikārpur – “PBC visit”

International Rescue Committee President and CEO David Miliband

David Miliband

Pros
  • Multi-national & multi-lingual working environment (in 6 reviews)

• hands-on experience, communal working environment (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • There is not a good source of work-life balance (in 3 reviews)

• US programs seem to receive far less attention that international programs (this can be good or bad depending on where you work) (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

The IRC has provided me with excellent opportunity and very rewarding challenges.

Director (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe greatest aspects of working at the IRC are the flexibility and independence afforded its employees, no matter the level.

ConsFor such a large humanitarian organization, salary does not seem as competitive as it could be. This needs to be improved to retain high quality staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the intellectual enthusiasm about the work that IRC does as well as the emphasis on personal growth.

Very Rewarding

Resource Developer (Former Employee) Miami, FL

ProsCaring for employees, very inspiring, good management involvement from HQ related to well-being of personnel in satellite offices, great benefits

Conslow salaries, sometimes not very experienced personnel is hired due to these low salaries offered.

Advice to Senior Managementbe more careful with hiring process and offer more management-level opportunities in offices

An intern's experience

ProsBeing able to interact with clients
    Learning more about the refugee resettlement process
    At times, being able to use language skills
    Genuinely friendly and motivated staff

ConsRoutine nature of work in certain departments

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer more opportunities for interns to experience different departments

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great intern experience

Tax Prep (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsI was able to interact with a lot of different people as a tax prep intern and I thoroughly enjoyed feeling like I've helped these low income families complete their tax returns. The other people in the office were always very friendly and it seemed like everybody got along.

ConsThere was little interaction between the tax interns and the rest of the office at times, but it didn't really matter because the tax room was always busy.

Great place to intern

Intern (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsHave a robust internship program with lots of opportunities for undergrads and masters' students to gain valuable experience working with clients, and also see what it's like to work in an international non-profit office

ConsThere is no room for professional development -- not alot of opportunities for interns to be taken on full-time (full time positions are sparse)

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate more opportunities for professional development

Great first few months

ProsInspiring CEO, hard-working and intelligent colleagues, great mission and values

ConsMore funding needed for our programs and projects

Great people doing great things.

Immigration Intern (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsVery knowledgeable staff and easy to work with. They provided me with a lot of training in a short amount of time. It's a very fulfilling job.

ConsCase managers have too many cases. They rely on full-time interns to provide all of the administrative work for the department. I think they are doing a tremendous job within these constraints but they really need permanent full-time administrative help so that the case managers can be more effective.

Intern

Intern (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsGreat work environment, very respectful and great Leadership

ConsOverloaded with administrative tasks and reporting demands

Excellent non profit. Very interesting and inspirational work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsThe most memorable part of my experience with the IRC were my incredible colleagues and incredible clients. Their personality and spirit in one word: "Survivor." The work is challenging, strenuous, educational, and inspirational.

ConsThe work is stressful and time consuming. The work is never done. Many people feel a deep, strong commitment and passion for their work. But this also means they work incredibly long and stressful hours for very little pay.

Great mission and core values

IOM Loan Coordinator (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsNice working enviroment, time off policies, excellent benefits, and good learning experience

ConsPromotional opportunities are limited, volunteer/internships in NYC are unavailable

Worked for International Rescue Committee? Contribute to the Community!